Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
No it's definitely a sitcom, and I think it had decent reviews when it aired here, but the premise made it sound awful so I never bothered with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Daedra posted:

The Babadook got added to Netflix. I didn't really like it but I rented it earlier. Probably worth a free watch.

It's very good.

Ive watched three episodes of the daredevil show and I'm liking it quite a lot so far.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Rome is better, but Spartacus overall brought me a lot more joy (and laughs). It did suffer some when they left the ludus, and it just wasn't the same without Batiatus. Still it was a lot of fun.

Rome is brilliantly written, superbly acted, fantastically produced. Spartacus is not really any of those things, but there is absolutely no reason anyone should not enjoy both, because both are great TV.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Two really, really fantastic movies are up now: A Touch Of Sin and October 1.

everyone watch October 1, im going to watch touch of sin right now

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

October 1 is really goddamn good. Why has Johnny Mad Dog never been on Netflix?

Shame, this, because johnny mad dog is a film more people should see.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Accused is a fine film, maybe there's some younger people itt who've not seen it. You should see it maybe?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I wasn't criticising you for not bolding it btw, honest. it's worth seeing if only for Foster's performance and I had no idea it was even on streaming.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, Charlie Victor Romeo is bad. Like "babby's first acting class"-level bad.

Im sure this is a joke post.

Ive just finished daredevil, is Wilson Fisk the main baddie in the whole thing (like lex luthor in star wars) or will there be loads of other villains like in batman

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

to the first part or the second?

I just realised i typed star wards for lex luthor lol I meant superman obviously

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes.

(Wilson Fisk is pretty much always the arch-baddie but there's a bunch more colorful bad guys who'll probably show up)

cool that's what i hoped for, i enjoyed the first season. I liked how(im going to spoiler this even though i dont think it necessary, better safe than sorry) they made Fisk an actual person and less of a caricature than most villains in comic/cartoon things (although at times his dialogue and acting were embarrassingly bad - trash TV so np really), and I like that the good guy doesn't have proper super powers. I hated the Christian Bale impression while in costume, though, and found it unnecessary. You dont have to disguise your voice dude we can see almost your whole face. It is definitely the blind lawyer guy, everyone would spot it immediately.

"Hey it the blind lawyer guy who is for some reason covering only the upper section of his head! Wait no the blind lawyer guy doesn't speak like gravel, must be another blind guy in Hell's Kitchen with that exact face and build."

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

I was the same, I liked a bit of iron man and the nolan batmans but not much else. it's hardly groundbreaking TV but it's decent enough, I reckon.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

The closest thing to Daredevil I've seen was Season 1 of Arrow, so see one if you liked the other.

I thought arrow was terrible but enjoyed daredevil

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

It's not. The premise is interesting, but the actors don't sell it at all.

It honestly feels like someone filmed the final performance of an "Intro to Acting" class.

I thought the actors were decent enough, but I agree that it isn't the highest calibre acting you'll ever see.

that the scripts are from transcripts of actual events makes the quality of the acting less noticeable to me, and I thought the whole thing was terrifying and sad.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Have you seen The Act of Killing? I haven't watched the Imposter, but from your description of why you liked it, The Act of Killing would be right up your alley.

In fact, if anyone hasn't seen The Act of Killing yet, you really should. It takes one of the most wild ideas for a movie I've ever heard, and just runs with it. It's bizarre, disgusting, heartbreaking, and more. One of my absolute favorites from the past couple years.

It's an incredible film, featuring some really hosed up people. Im not even sure I can say I enjoyed watching it, because it's hosed up, but it is a really really well made documentary that leaves a lasting impression.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Has anyone mentioned Chef's Table yet? Really interesting if you like fancy food you'll almost certainly never get to eat.

Chefs are nutters.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I just watched a new found footage thing called The Mirror. It has terrible reviews on Netflix. There's no real plot (three friends by a 'haunted' mirror on eBay to enter a paranormal competition to win a million dollars, they film itt). Acting is decent, pretty well directed and the editing is top drawer.

I loved it. Maybe helped that I watched it in a pitch black and silent room late at night, but it definitely creeped me out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Anything on Netflix similar to the classic Hammer Horror movies?

There's The Quiet Ones, which is made by Hammer Films, and was released last year to very bad reviews.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

The Babadook is great, I quite like how it leans heavily on metaphor and symbolism, not a lot of horror does these days. Also try to remember that the kid is SUPPOSED to be an intolerable shithead.

I can't quite remember the first time I thought the academy were full of poo poo, I remember being pretty pissed Crash won and I was probably about 17 when that came out I think.

Someone once told me a theory about the oscars, that the people who vote are sent DVDs and they sometimes watch them while they're doing other stuff, so films that lose nothing by being on a small screen do better than they should. Obviously doesn't apply 100% of the time but still. English Patient, anyone?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I remember someone being upset that Forrest Gump won a special effects Oscar the same year Jurassic Park was up for it ( because in Jurassic Park you couldn't even tell which dinosaurs were real and which were fake).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Which is funny because JP won the year before, the two coming out in different years.

Hmmm maybe I'm very, very confused

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I sent people into mild craze by disliking x files, and now there's loads of people saying et and close encounters were bad, you lot are insane. Insane!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

X-Files is really really dated. Like that body swapping 2-parter that people say is standalone is just incredibly cringeworthy.

Gave it a fair go and it's all really bad. Meh. There's so many other good things to watch.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Saturday night fever is a top film, I've never understood why so many people have missed it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sly Stallone directed it, of course it's mental.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Dirties is ace, I'm in on that recommendation.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Since I didn't get any good recommendations for police/murder shows, I watched The Following. I blame all of you, you fucks. I'm never getting that brainspace back.

Your criteria didn't allow for good recommendations on US Netflix. The Bridge (original, Denmark/Sweden) or one of its many remakes (Mexico/US, UK/France, others I can't remember) would fit but I don't know that any of them are available.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Broadchurch was garbage (although Colman was, as usual, very good) and it's obvious about three episodes in whodunnit.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

I know my view's fully in the minority, but I can think of 10 cop shows off the top of my head I think were just plain better. That said I'm hopeful for the new season.

any chance of naming those shows so we can either watch them or know how to rate your opinion?

you can't say The Wire !

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Broadchurch, better than true detective? Mind boggles.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Is Between the first Netflix original that's being dribbled out weekly instead of a full season binge release?

Better Call Saul was released weekly, at least in the UK.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original though.

Oh I thought it was.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
They put the bloody Netflix Original thing on it, I forgot that that means Not Netflix Original, sorry.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lycus posted:

Better Call Saul aired on TV in the US.

There's a pattern.

I didn't know that and if I had I would have realised sooner, sorry everyone.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

I don't think I've seen a more polarized collection of reviews than TOAD ROAD. Mostly FIVES and ONES.

I'm dying to watch it now.

I watched it last night and thought it was just ok, but it's probably the film that has the best recreation of young people on drugs that I can think of.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Blacklist is no better or worse than the rest of the garbage that's on TV nowadays, but at least its main guy hams it up enough to make the odd episode enjoyable, like that guy off the mentalist.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah it's tricky to get a good cast with a billion dollar budget or whatever it cost, heh

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Allyn posted:

So I got the new Netflix redesign today. Am I right in thinking that there's no way to view your entire list on one page anymore? You have to scroll through 5~ films at a time? That's pretty ridiculous when I've got 70+ things on there :geno:

Why do you have 70+ things on the list

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Allyn posted:

Because there are 70+ things I want to see and have not yet seen

Why don't you watch some of the ones at the front of the list and then you wont have to scroll as much

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Allyn posted:

Because I haven't had time to until the past 10 days, since when I've cut it down by at least 10

Heh i was only messing sorry friend.

I've not used Netflix for ages til yesterday when I started that sense 8 show. Up to the end of episode two and I like it so far, but I'm thinking once the mystery goes it might be like heroes was (remember heroes?! )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pander posted:

Checks box for Primer.

Okay.

Goes to find a guide to explain it.

I liked it a lot. I read the basic reviews here saying it's confusing so I tried to put everything I had into deciphering what happened as it did and still failed pretty bad.

The soundtrack kinda reminded me of Trent Reznor's from The Social Network. Neat that the one guy did it, along with literally everything else in the film.

I watched it after seeing posts here thinking 'fuckin Goons making it seem hard to understand' but none of it made sense