Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Follow it all up with Gamer and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

If you can't enjoy a low-budget kung-fu movie that starts with a fight scene set to Wu-Tang Clan's "Shame on a Nigga", then you won't like it. I didn't go into it for acting. I went in it for weird characters, costumes, fight scenes and hip-hop music, and had a good time. There are worse ways to spend two hours.

See, it's one of those things that sounds potentially great on internet paper, but when you watch the real thing it feels like a giant lovely joke.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Burning Love was loving great.

I feel the same way about Heidecker, though Heidecker should never play anything but a total rear end in a top hat.

Have you watched Hotwives of Orlando (on Hulu)? It's fantastic as well.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hubbardologist posted:

Finally watched Kill List. I watched A Field in England a while back and really enjoyed it. Have to rewatch to appreciate them more fully, but Michael Smiley is just awesome as hell in both, and the director, Ben Wheatley, and his production crew (I guess? Don't really understand how movies are made, but it feels like a lot of the same people were behind the camera) craft a fantastic visual and auditory experience. A lot of aesthetically pleasing shots, mixed in with unsettling scores. Really glad I went into both of them blind.

Have you watched Black Mirror? He's really good in that, too. You owe it to yourself to watch Sightseers now, which is the funniest of all of Wheatley's stuff.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I bet it looks crispy in the dark.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I watched Faults last night and thought it was a pretty decent directorial debut. The only reason I'm mentioning it here is because an hour later I saw a commercial for it being available on demand to rent for $5 on Xfinity, and I have a big crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead who was great in it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Namirsolo posted:

Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary, is on Netflix now. It's great and has some hilarious clips of him and Siskel. It's a celebration of his life, but parts of it are pretty painful and made me cry. I really miss that man.

And it's directed by the guy who did Hoop Dreams - loving perfect!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

forever whatever posted:

Just watched There Will Be Blood for the first time and drat, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis are forces of nature. It was fascinating watching Daniel's character managed to have entire towns bend to his will in moving towards his capitalist vision. The other actors did well too but it really is Lewis's movie. I can't believe it took me this many years to watch it.

Any recommendations on films that have protaganists/antiheroes that are complete misanthropes a la DD Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood? I always seem to identify with characters like that in film and in fiction. Thanks.

I think you'd like Nightcrawler

Edit: poo poo, not the "recommend me" thread. Either way, it's worth the $1.50 at Redbox, for sure.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2015

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Antichrist for sure

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah it's definitely more of a black comedy but filmed like a mockumentary that appeals to horror fans.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would agree with you. many here would not. there's about a half dozen found footage movies I like but I'm very done with it as a genre.

I'd argue Man Bites Dog falls more in line with the mockumentary (remember those?) than the found footage movie. (edit: beaten)

I haven't seen MBD in at least a decade, but I can't remember if there were any of those interview shots with the killer where he would give some exposition that are so common in mock/documentaries. That definitely makes it seem more "found footage-y", but yeah it's totally a mockumentary.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there's a ton of those. a big chunk of the movie is interviews with the lead character, albeit often while he's in the process of murdering somebody.

No I mean like where they would actually cut away to a sit-down interview at any point, really. I definitely remember a lot of the in-the-act exposition the lead would give.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

You may like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It's always hard to know what to recommend though, especially in this case as I don't much like Jacob's Ladder.

Every time it's mentioned I say this, but Henry is straight-up the most terrifying movie I have ever seen.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Speaking of McNaughton, is The Harvest(2013) with Michael Shannon worth checking out?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Y'all should check out Faults.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Chichevache posted:

You know, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief and roll with it Burn Notice is pretty drat fun. The first three seasons or so have fantastic car stunts and explosions. It is a pretty good show for turning off your brain and having some basic fun. Really my only major complaint is that Fiona suffers from a rather extreme case of plot-convenient retardation. Also the show quality dips pretty strongly around season 4 or so when they switch to absolutely terrible CGI.

Yeah, but in season 5 they bring in Jere Burns (Anson) who is almost as awesome a villain as Tim Matheson (Larry)!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The pilot has Fiona with an amazing Irish accent. I think it's her natural accent, but man it's out there. She makes a quip about it in the first episode and goes to regular english.

Related, is there a show like Burn Notice I can watch with wifey? Something light hearted with good guys blowing up cars to get bad guys, nothing to heavy handed or CSI proceedural like. We are watching Chuck now (on Season 3) and maaaaaaan that show is Stupid with a capital S.

Have you watched "The Good Guys"? (Also made by Matt Nix). It's a buddy cop comedy show with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks playing detectives who work for the Dallas PD in the property crimes division. Kind of a bummer it only lasted 1season (on FOX), when I think it could have really done well, or at least better on USA.

It had a lot of heart, and Bradley Whitford pretty much knocks it out of the park all the time, and if you're in to BN there is no doubt you'd like this show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Well, that's because of Larry's tutelage, and his history of child abuse. He sees a world full of two kinds of people: the abusers and those that get abused and can't do anything about. He watches his dad beat his mom for years and her just roll over and do nothing because she was afraid. Michael's purpose is to basically murder anyone that hurts others. It's why when he joined the army they gave him a psych test and decided he can become an operative, his morality is perfectly tuned to be willing to do whatever it takes to protect those that can't protect themselves, including killing them. I don't think that he really enjoyed it, though, that's why hey brought Simon in, because he was basically Michael, but he enjoyed violence as recreation.

I totally forgot about Simon, drat! I think I just need to just rewatch that season again, because Garret Dillahunt is the man.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I really liked it until it went off the rails. I read that the original script was based around a soldier returning from a war and his PTSD causing him to carry out a complicated revenge plot against a family. I liked that his "mission" was to protect his army bro's family; I just wish it didn't end with him going all scorched earth, that was ridiculous. Enjoyable until the last half hour though.

Him actively trying to fight his programming to go scorched earth on everyone was so awesome. Especially culminating in the scene where he gets stabbed in the back with the butterfly knife he gave Luke earlier ("just in case") and ending in him recreating the scene which led him to escape custody in the first place. Also, during that whole part, he played the mix cd that Anna made for him over the PA.

I loved the poo poo out of this movie and the soundtrack/score are beyond good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
RE: Justified, I never got tired of hearing Walton Goggins play Boyd and aside from the Michael Rappaport season, all of the guest villains have been pretty much top-notch (even Mike O'Malley).

I really love that small town-feel and setting, so I'm a huge fan of the show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Sutter doing GOT should be hilarious.

I love that the name rolls off the tongue so well, too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hey, and Vampire Bill from True Blood!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched The Guest.

What the hell is wrong with you people. That's the shittiest most pointless two hours I've wasted. I kept waiting for that "Dusk Til Dawn" second half twist, or something, anything, to make the godawful poo poo show worth the effort, but no. All I got was a godawful poo poo show.

I should have known when are you seriously reading a spoiler to find out when I knew this was a lovely movie? What could I possibly be hiding? That the black dude from Lost is a Military Police guy in a full length leather coat? That there's a cliche'd bar fight, gun deal gone wrong, house on the prairie shootout? I swear I kept waiting for the bad guy to turn out to be a robot, or the terminator, or something.

gently caress sakes what a goddamn lovely movie.

All of those things are fun, though?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wayne's World/Gremlins 2

Parachute
May 18, 2003

I would do Gremlins 2 and TCM 2.

Same, and bonus points if you've never seen the originals somehow.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

It's been a bit since there has been a Netflix horror discussion in this thread. Anyone notice any gems in there lately? I think I may have already watched most of what is worth watching, but I could go for a decent competenty directed horror film tonight.

Watched Dark Skies last night and it wasn't terrible. it pretty much shits out at the end but I thought it was entertaining at least.

Housebound
Oculus
The Babadook
You're Next

Parachute
May 18, 2003
^^Yeah that

Are you paying for "no ads" or are you paying for less ads and exclusive content?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Would Walker Texas Ranger or In the Heat of the Night qualify?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

remigious posted:

I've watched the first two episodes of American Horror Story: Freak Show and so far it is missing the mark for me. How did you guys feel about it? Does it get better? The characters are consistently making incredibly stupid decisions that make no sense and it is annoying. I was really looking forward to watching this :(

There are a few standout moments (Twisty the clown's story and everything involving Dandy mainly) but overall I think it is about as bad if not worse than Coven.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
That goes for everyone in the cast (especially Kirsten Dunst, imo).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Is Fargo 2 on streaming already?

The last episode of the season airs next Monday, but I bet the season is available to stream through the FX app/site.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bone Tomahawk is such a pro-click. One of the creepiest movies I've seen in a while.

Yeah there's one scene that starts off the third act that is way more brutal and gory than anything I have seen in a minute.

Edit: I just realized both Patrick Wilson and the guy who plays Hanzee from Fargo are both in this and Fargo S2 as well.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I finally got to watch The Hitcher last night (Comcast on-demand) with Rutger Hauer & C Thomas Howell and was kind of let down. I thought Hauer and Howell were both very good in their respective roles, but something about the pacing of the movie made it feel super long. I did love the Central Texas setting, and I felt like parts of it could have inspired No Country For Old Men (Cat and mouse fighting, 80's Texas location/costuming, hyper violence, unstoppable boogeyman).

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He said no jump scares, but The Babadook does that kinda stuff great. The Babadook rules.

Are there any horror movies made in the past 30 years that don't have jump scares of any kind?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

There's an all-time great jump scare in Under the Skin, which is one of the most interesting, creative, and visually impressive sci fi films of the past 20 years. So if you're completely against all jump scares you'll miss out on some great stuff.

People who are super against jump scares always seem to be the type of people who never admit when a movie really scares them, and feel jump scares are really cheap because they can be super effective even when telegraphed a mile away.

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have any jump scares? Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Shield proved that Kurt Sutter can actually loving write as long as some one can keep him under control. Also the Vic/Shane dynamic is incredible.

I was about to say that everyone keeps talking about how great Vic is (and rightfully so), but The Shield brought us Walton Goggins, and he is just loving awesome.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Nolanar posted:

I'm in the market for shows to help calm me down when I'm having a panic attack.

How It's Made
New Yankee Workshop

Parachute
May 18, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

Woodwright's Shop is 100% better than New Yankee Workshop, and I say this as a lifetime fan of NYW. The Woodwright's Shop is so anarchist and crunchy that it gives me hope for a post-apocalyptic human settlement. The host is also educated as gently caress and talks about 18th-century woodworking books.

P.S., if you have a Roku, you can get the PBS channel which has a bunch of episodes.

Roy makes some awesome poo poo, but there's something hypnotic to me about the combination of Norm's accent and the sound of power tools that I really love.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
On a similar note, Rhys Darby was so good in last week's episode of X-Files ("Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster").

Parachute
May 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

This was better than all of that weird urkel fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

Totally agree 100%
Weren't you in at least a couple episodes of True Blood or am I thinking of someone else here?

That's "nate falls"

I watched all of S1 of TWD as it aired and thought it was ok, but once they got to the farm on S2 I just stopped watching all together.