Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

I thought it was funny. I was high as heck when i saw it tho. Watch it with your friends

Agreed. Drunk viewing of it at the theater with a bunch of drink friends was a good way to watch it. Got about 15 minutes into the rewatch and thought "oh wait this is really awful"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

People tell me the sex scene is funny, but is there anything else in it that's worthwhile?

It's super low brow and racist as hell, but that's intentional. If you like really dumb Seth Rogan humor it's probably worth a watch for free. Drink during it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Check your emails if you're a Hulu subscriber, they just sent me a "just because" free month promo code.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation.

I suggest not skipping Lost World, because if you do you'll never get the answer you needed to the eternal question "Is it possible to defeat a Velociraptor with gymnastics?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone else watch The Path? I feel like I'm the only person watching it.

I like it. Though I'm a bit iffy with the last episode having Eddy dream about the same place he was about to be kidnapped. I really hope they don't start going the direction of "this poo poo is real".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I never really used the Netflix reccomendations to find something to watch, I pretty much only used it to rate things I had no desire to watch 1 star so they'd stop showing up. Though now it's pretty much just "Here's all of our Netflix original programming oh and Hellraiser"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, it turns out that if you'd bothered to accurately rate everything you'd watched the predictions would've been almost entirely accurate and you're why we can't have nice things.

I dunno I just very rarely found myself randomly finding something on Netflix to watch. I'd be using threads like these and other places to find what was recommended. I don't think there were many jewels that I just happened upon without knowing about them first. I did spend hours and hours going through and rating every movie that popped up that I'd seen before a while back, I just never really rated anything after I watched it unless it was horrible or I absolutely loved it.

I would say that Hulu leads me to other stuff a lot more often, due to repeated commercials. I never would have considered watching You're the Worst just from a basic premise read of it, but Hulu kept hammering me with commercials so I finally said "FINE HULU I'LL WATCH THE SHOW ARE YOU HAPPY" and now it's one of my all time favorites.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

A lot of people I know who are around my age (30 plus) fondly remember his 90s movies and swear they're hilarious but any time I dare them to watch one with me they end up going "well it was funnier when I was a kid"

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are still funny. And I am the one dude who actually liked Little Nicky. But the rest are meh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Been taking this advice. It's good advice.

I'm gonna be spotting Wire actors in everything now, aren't I?

Once you watch The Wire and Deadwood you've seen every actor to ever live.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And I love that Norm isn't out promoting the special life crazy, and instead says "Eh, it kinda sucks"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sam Raimi's The Gift is a legit good movie.

When that was in theaters, my pitch to my friend to go see it -

"Well it's a Sam Raimi film, so you know it's going to be good."

"Eh, I dunno, never been a fan of his."

"It has Katie Holmes boobs in...."

Zoom, car warming up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Don't think the show will be anything special but man I dug the retro trailer format. WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mover posted:

We had a huge spike in Luukes as the expanded universe picked up steam

regulargonzalez posted:

Buddy of mine named his kid Atreyu. True story.

This year I predict at least one Covfefe being born.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's the biggest problem. There's a slight chance that the child will gain the appreciation of whatever the source material for their name is, but most likely they will loving hate it, resent the parent, and go by another name.

Your child will not be born a LotR fan just because you name them such. Sure, almost everyone likes Star Wars, but the child will never match the parent's enthusiasm.

My friends named their flaming red hair child Conan after Conan O'Brien. Think he's going to be a huge fan of the show when he's in his surly teenage years?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

Did you know he wanted to run for President before he died?

10 years ago me "That's crazy, zero experience or qualifications!"

Me now "Huh. Checks out."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

You guys forget Creed. Creed was good. Creed was the best.

Well I mean other than being a serial killer and master thief.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Rubber suits and CGI look loving terrible without a AAA movie-sized budget. I'm glad they haven't tried it.

Hey now, I think they did fine with their rubber suit!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nah, new thread title. Need a definitive tit count on what I'm streaming

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen Spam in real life before. What kind of trailer parks do you guys live in that it's actually a thing people eat.

Visit Hawaii. You'll see it's more than just trailer parks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Preacher should not be compared to Justified in any way other than "is in the South"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

How much like the comic is it?

Not at all, the characters share names but (except Cassidy, a bit) they aren't anything like their comic counterparts.

Edit - That's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preference. It bothered me a ton, others loved it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And in case it wasn't said, Gilgun essentially played proto-Cassidy in Misfits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man Ozark was great, but I was expecting it to be 13 episodes so when episode 10 was done I was a bit disappointed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Yoga Hosers is on Netflix and I double dog dare you guys to watch it.

Do not take this dare unless you are a teenage girl related to Kevin Smith. This makes Tusk look like Citizen Kane.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Is Cop Out that bad? Yoga Hosers was the worst movie I've seen in a long time.

Cop Out was bad, but I did laugh a few times. Yoga Hosers solicited only annoyance from me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

haha

Like, I really just don't get naming your kid poo poo like that though. I would never name my daughter Cat Power.

To his defense, "Harley" isn't that crazy of a name and at the time she was born Harley Quinn was pretty much relegated to B:TAS fans and comic fans. She definitely wasn't as huge as she is now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

Jesus can we stop the name chat and just agree to collectively refer to all children as The Offspring?

Yeah but if you name them all the same how are you gonna keep em separated?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

coyo7e posted:

I liked whats his name in Unbreakable.

THEY CALLED ME MISTER GLASS!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It really does tie together a lot better if you watch them in release order, if for no other reason than inside jokes paying off a lot more. But if you've already watched the prequel series you've got enough to go off to enjoy the sequel series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

She just wanted a father figure <:mad:>

First the Americans, now Ozark. She's gonna be typecast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

New Tick episodes up on Amazon!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Little Evil was fuckin rad

Yeah I'd never even heard of it and was looking for something to watch, so I checked it out. Pretty good, though Bridget Everett's whole I'm a man, hey bro, let's go to the man cave, I'm a dad see I'm a dad hey bro. shtick got old fast, but I'm not a big fan of her anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

People wouldn't shut up about The Good Place when it was airing so I finally sat down and watched it after it aired on Hulu and yeah it's really good. One of the better (not really a spoiler but eh just in case) twist endings I didn't see coming. And that's rare.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Luckily, since it's actually the back half of season one, we won't have to wait as long! First half of 2018 is the buzz, I think.

It took a few episodes to gain momenttum, but by the end of episode six I was a little bummed that it was over for now. Strangely, I think it was when we first meet Dangerboat that it really hit me. I found the juxtaposition between our "cartoon" heroes and Overkill to be a nice note, and Ms. Lint felt somewhat like a villain from the animated series, but there was something about a sentient AI boat making his own soundtrack in between mothering a psychopathic partner that hit peak wacky for me. I'll definitely be watching more when it lands.

This version of the Tick gives us an amazing quote that is in line with the Arthur of ye olden times yet also shows it's a more adult show It was like he was looking for some place to keep his knife and no place was good enough!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How long have you been able to watch Amazon Prime Video through Youtube? That finally gets around not being able to cast Amazon Prime stuff to my Chromecast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can what? How do you do that?

I searched for "Amazon Patriot theme music" and it bright me to the Amazon video "free with Prime" page.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Double post but now that I'm looking on my phone the cast option isn't there for an episode of Patriot.

https://youtu.be/K_2Rx-LEeMQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

In my opinion American Vandal is pretty light on the laughs and surprisingly heavy on the teen drama which is unfortunate.

Good acting though, I love the "cool" teacher and Dylan. Just don't expect it to make you laugh more than once per episode.

If they had just stuck with the comedy parody side of it, it would have been great. But the last few episodes just DRAG because suddenly it's got a serious tone and acting like it's an actual documentary. It's at it's best with some of the subtlety.

Like, I wish they had just shown the teacher that was fired briefly with "ex-teacher" as his description. I laughed so hard at that. But they had to go into more detail.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just remember everyone, Mindhunters is based on the book based on the life of John Douglas who created "Profiling", and the character Jack Crawford on Silence of the Lambs is based on John Douglas so watch the show because without it we never would have had the show Profiler in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Stranger things, and it's really not that great. It's like they asked themselves, "You know all that stuff that made the first season so great? Yeah, let's get rid of all of that."

I'm almost done with it and while I think it's not as good as the first season, it's still pretty good. They just went from subtle Easter eggs to "HEY GUYS REMEMBER LAST SEASON HOW ELEVEN LIKED EGGOS WELL NOW THEY'RE IN EVERY SCENE".

Also, minor spoiler, the Demogorgon dogs are pretty much the split head dogs from Silent Hill. Which is fine, Duffer Brothers are openly inspired by the game (upside down world) so it remains a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies.