Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

NESguerilla posted:

The cover of "The Fluffy movie" makes me irrationally angry.

Edit: also just found out from that Crystal Skulls special that Netflix uploaded that it's a real thing people believe in after watching the episode of Peep Show last night with them. I seriously thought that was something they made up as a joke for the show.

I'm watching it now because of your post, but yeah never assume something really dumb in a show or movie isn't based on something a writer discovered one late night and laughed their rear end off about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty amazing if you liked 30 Rock at all. It's fantastic in general but that's an easy hook.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt get better? People keep recommending it to me, but the pilot was aggressively unfunny. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes if it improves, but I'd rather start watching something else from my giant backlog of shows if not.

If you think the pilot is aggressively unfunny then it's not for you.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, Bojack Horseman broke my preconceptions.

I was talking about Unbreakable Kimmy Schimt rather than pilots in general. I think the tone of the show is pretty established early on, and if you absolutely hate it that won't change. Bojack benefits from pushing forward if it doesn't click early.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Spartacus had Shakespearean quality dialogue. :colbert:

I love Rome but Spartacus has some of my favorite characters of any modern film or television. The writing, acting, the screams as they cleave, I just love the show. One of my favorite reveals in the first season was a character's real name because I'm that huge of a history nerd.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

What do you all think of These Final Hours?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I enjoyed The Overnight but it's a hard movie to recommend. I think there's an element of how much you empathize with a night of crazy self exploration and the next morning you just move on that makes the ending more palatable. I might be off base there. I really liked it.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 29, 2016

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Timby posted:

It's a pretty boring slog, and is more Avengers 2.5 than anything else. The Russos are not good directors.

Yeah I was rooting for them as a Community fan, but they're pretty bland in the genre.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does but I've seen so many people talk about the Michael Bolton special like it's a Lonely Island thing when it's very much a Scott Aukerman thing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

basically it sounds like a Jill Stein power fantasy and now I will never want to see it

Hahahaha your loss. But yeah power fantasy and Jill Stein are some of the last things I'd use to describe the show.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 4, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Lycus posted:

I'm not convinced the parallel narratives thing was a good idea. I think back and I don't think I personally got much out of the past storyline, and that's a lot of show not to care much about. Then it's just a spent twist. I think I would've preferred them spending time making present-day Ed Harris's journey more interesting. I didn't enjoy it as much after the jail escape. I'm cool with "What door?" though.

"What door?" is one of those twists that you see coming but the execution makes it work.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

Season 2 of Documentary Now! is up and it's... I unno. Not as good as the first season? The Swimming to Cambodia & The Kid Stays in the Picture parodies were great, the Jiro Dreams of Sushi parody was good. The Salesmen & War Room parodies were eh and the Stop Making Sense parody was a stinker. Really only two (three since one of them is a two parter) episodes that are worth your time.

Agreed on which episodes worked and didn't. Stop Making Sense and Salesmen especially were wasted opportunities. Salesmen just didn't do enough. Stop Making Sense is frustrating because if I sit here and think about some of the jokes individually there are some funny ideas, but the whole episode has an awkward flow.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Has anyone else made the mistake of watching too much of Ice Fantasy?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I appreciate the whole Netflix Disney deal because they're not movies I'm going to see in theaters, but stuff like Moana is exactly what I want on a day when I'm cleaning and want an excuse to stop.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

precision posted:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is surprisingly good. On Hulu.

I need to give that another shot, because last time I stopped halfway through. I love 30 Rock but sometimes Tina Fey just rubs me the wrong way.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I really enjoyed the Death Note movie but its been a tricky thing to recommend.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Children of Men is an incredible movie to watch with people who have never seen it. The shift from yeah this is solid to oh poo poo this is great, and then the tension of the entire end. It's a fun ride to relive with people.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Speaking as someone who worked multiple security jobs in his 20's, Observe and Report is horrifyingly not that exaggerated.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I can't remember the last time I immediately wanted to rewatch a movie. Buster Scruggs is good.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

My only real problem with Buster Scruggs is that the conceit of the last part was so obvious that I thought there was going to be some kind of fakeout at the end.

That's actually why I thought it worked. It was almost relaxing after the tragedy of the previous ones. Death is a huge part of the movie and ending it with yep no confusion clicks.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 18, 2018

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Bodied was a ton of fun. I loving love Joseph Kahn and Jackie Long is really good at emoting with his eyes. I want to see what a Kahn movie is like with a huge budget.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Finally watched Hereditary on prime last night. I can't remember the last time certain images and scenes in a movie have haunted my brain like this. In a great way. I had my first nightmare in years and it had nothing to do with the movie, but that was such an unsettling incredible ride I've been stuck since.

And agreed on Annihilation being a movie I really enjoyed but I'm not going to make a big effort convincing someone they're wrong if they didn't.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Guy Pierce plays such a good villain

Guy Pierce plays such a good everything.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Frog Act posted:

also the extremely short shot at the end where both of their eyes change color to indicate neither of them are "them", which was confusing since if Natalie Portman's character could tell she had been refracted just by looking at a drop of her blood under a microscope, surely the super secret mega scientists figured out she was a refraction or whatever, but it is heavily implied they did not during the questioning and last scene

I guess twist isn't the right word, but it was lazy and predictable

That's the entire movie though. No one returns from the Shimmer the same. She has a tattoo in the interview, we see in the video that Kane's accent has changed. Everything blends together in there and it's shown throughout the movie not just at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Reading the last page and finding out Sunshine isn't streaming was rough man. It was rough. I don't know how the night recovers.