Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Davfff posted:

lol no its my dad

Meet your new brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The direction of the arms doesn't matter, actually, and it's not just "Hindu or Hitler". The use of the swastika in art and religion predates written history, and has been used in more cultures than just Nazis and India.

There's a simple test to see if it's being used as a Nazi symbol:
Does it match any recorded Nazi uses of the symbol?
Is it being used in a context that indicates a connection to Nazi ideology?

If the answer to both of those is "no", then it's not a Nazi swastika. Easy peasy!

All that said, I still wouldn't want one on me because I have no cultural ties to it that justify its use otherwise.

Yeah, but tattoo one on your face and see how many people admire you for your religious dedication.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yes! Said Sir Toppum Hat. For the love of God!

My kid watched that show. The train didn't want to work because it had just been painted, so Sir Toppum Hat just bricked him into the tunnel. End of story, no "I've learned my lesson" or anything. Apparently the moral of the story was don't gently caress with Sir Toppum Hat. It was really hosed up.

Even at a young age, my thought was 'don't they need to use the tunnel for other trains? that seems like an inefficient use of rail infrastructure'

Instead of, you know, noticing that the trains could fcuking talk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Not sure I get it. Was the other woman decapitated?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayne_Mansfield

quote:

On June 29 at approximately 2:25am, on U.S. Highway 90, east of the Rigolets Bridge, the car crashed into the rear of a tractor-trailer that had slowed behind another truck that was spraying mosquito fogger. The car struck the rear of the trailer and went under it. The three adults in the front seat were killed instantly; the children, in the rear, survived with minor injuries.[314]

Reports that Mansfield was decapitated are untrue, although she suffered severe head trauma.[315] The urban legend was spawned by the appearance in police photographs of a crashed car with its top virtually sheared off, and what resembled a blonde-haired head tangled in the car's smashed windshield. However, this was probably either a wig Mansfield was wearing or her actual hair and scalp.[316] The death certificate stated that the immediate cause of Mansfield's death was a "crushed skull with avulsion of cranium and brain".[317] After her death, the NHTSA recommended requiring an underride guard (a strong bar made of steel tubing) on all tractor-trailers, although the trucking industry was slow to adopt this change. This bar is known as a "Mansfield bar", or an "ICC bar".[318][319]

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My uncle worked that accident :smith:

I bet he couldn't eat soft-boiled eggs for a while.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bart Fargo posted:

Well, I'm turning 41 this year and this also kind of describes me, so I think that's just "male" and not necessarily a generational thing.

I am sure that when the previous generation was my age, they would meet and talk about economy issues, art and literature.

Whilst wearing hats and moustaches.

I talk about poo, farts, willies and how stupid the younger generation looks with fedoras and neckbeards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thump! posted:

I'd hazard a guess and say he's one of the finest actors in the history of cinema. I can't think of a single role where he didn't absolutely knock poo poo out.

The white jamacian drug dealer in True Romance had an iffy accent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

it's not scripted, but they cut half of the footage away, so tv/youtube watchers get to see a funnier show than the audience.

Not to mention that a lot of the contestants are stand-up comedians who are all near the top of their profession. It's not surprising that they come out with some good stuff.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

A few years ago Fry complained[/url] about one regular guest that demands to see all the questions beforehand so that they can work out their own jokes. Now I'm curious to know who this person is.

ETA: My guess has always been John Sessions.

I am thinking Carr. Sessions isn't a regular and Carr gives the impression of everything being carefully prepared beforehand (yes, I know he is great with hecklers, but they can be canned responses)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm quite angry about homogenised milk. I want a top layer of cream as a treat.

I can't publically say I am anti-homogenisation as I worry I would be confused for some kind of white supremacist.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Clitch posted:

You know how hard it is to wash the blood of the innocent out of white gloves?!

Not so easy with black gloves, either.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

hypnotoad posted:

Went to lunch the other day, saw this sign.

:stonklol:

I don't see how you could miss it, it's loving huge

spog
Aug 7, 2004

disco_stu posted:

I had to do this for a lifeguard test. The idea was to jump in the pool with your clothes on and use your clothing to float for an hour. Worked pretty good. It's definitely way better than treading water for an hour. I'm not sure how well it would work in rough waters. Jeans hold air pretty well and the few wearing jogging pants did not have a good time. They just balloon and you can't see a thing while just barely floating.

While we are on the subject: has anyone ever had a real world situation where they needed to pick up a brick from the bottom of a lake?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

No.

While we are on the subject, where do you live that bricks are so valuable?

I don't know, but they always seemed very keen on it when I was learning to swim.

In fact, almost every test I took involved those bricks, yet I had to take a special, optional lesson to learn how to rescue a person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

A student was giving a presentation in our geology class and he had just been on a canoe trip on northern Minnesota. He showed off a picture he took out on the lake. You could see through the clear water down to a boulder with a sizeable gold vein below. I asked him why he didn't attempt to get that Rock out. At 1000+ an ounce it was worth the trouble. He didn't really have an answer.

He probably didn't go to the same swimming lessons that I went to.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, so I have to pay more as I get older?

Yes. Yes you do. :smith:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The MSJ posted:

That's stupid. Fiddler crabs use their small claws for manipulating stuff. The large claw is for ritual fighting and picking up chicks.

He's waving a sword at a lady wearing a bedsheet. That seems like it hits both of the criteria for using the Big Claw.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I support shower based meals/drinking.

You never finish your beer and it gets weaker and weaker.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

There are times that I really love Pratchett:

quote:

Retro Phrenologist,

You can go into a shop in Ankh-Morpork and order an artistic temperament with a tendency to introspection. What you actually get is hit on the head with a large hammer, but it keeps the money in circulation and gives people something to do.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I mean I would, because you know... Like what if it actually is? And if it isn't, it's not my computer.

Put it this way: if your company doesn't have suitable protection against viruses on a thumbdrive, then the chances are that the Financial Director infected them about 3 years ago anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Did this get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Mentalizer posted:

poo poo, yeah, apparently she had an aneurysm so I guess that could explain some of the insanity. It all seems a little more sad than funny in that case.

She makes Nicki Minaj look like a Nobel Prize for Literature winner.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

What happened with Sean Young?

What happened with Sharon Stone?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Depressio111117 posted:

I'm glad my phone trusts me enough to figure out if it's AM or PM on my own

You need to go to wilder parties.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

canyoneer posted:

In the release build before the smithing balance patch, the most cost effective way to level up your smithing was to make a hojillion iron daggers. Then you could move on straight to dragon armor

I read an online analysis as to why the best way to make money (Simoleons) in The Sims was to have your character make garden gnomes.

All day, every day in order to save up for a better shower.

I stopped playing the game when I realised that my fantasy characters had a duller life than I did.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I have to ask how someone discovered that a sex swing was good for washing a St.Bernard.

...maybe I don't want to know.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

flosofl posted:

Except the live action movies. In those she was Buffy.

There were quite a lot more boobs in the movies too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Bees are also significantly smaller than flowers, in fact. HTH.

What if it is an obese bee and an anorexic flower?

Stop body-shaming.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

The hell?

He intentionally used a copyrighted song to get the audio blocked because it would be funny to people who know what 4:33 is and now the joke can't be done because youtube changed their policy on some copyrights.

E: You know that 4:33 is complete silence, right?

Related to this: a musician was sued for releasing a track that was one minute of silence on the grounds that it was a section of 4:33

quote:

LONDON, England -- A bizarre legal battle over a minute's silence in a recorded song has ended with a six-figure out-of-court settlement.

British composer Mike Batt found himself the subject of a plagiarism action for including the song, "A One Minute Silence," on an album for his classical rock band The Planets. He was accused of copying it from a work by the late American composer John Cage, whose 1952 composition "4'33"" was totally silent.

On Monday, Batt settled the matter out of court by paying an undisclosed six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust. Batt, who is best known in the UK for his links with the children's television characters The Wombles, told the Press Association: "This has been, albeit a gentlemanly dispute, a most serious matter and I am pleased that Cage's publishers have finally been persuaded that their case was, to say the least, optimistic. "We are, however, making this gesture of a payment to the John Cage Trust in recognition of my own personal respect for John Cage and in recognition of his brave and sometimes outrageous approach to artistic experimentation in music."

Batt credited "A One Minute Silence" to "Batt/Cage." Before the start of the court case, Batt had said: "Has the world gone mad? I'm prepared to do time rather than pay out. We are talking as much as £100,000 in copyright."Mine is a much better silent piece. I have been able to say in one minute what Cage could only say in four minutes and 33 seconds."

Batt gave a cheque to Nicholas Riddle, managing director of Cage's publishers Peters Edition, on the steps of the High Court, in London.

Riddle said: "We feel that honour has been settled "We had been prepared to make our point more strongly on behalf of Mr Cage's estate, because we do feel that the concept of a silent piece -- particularly as it was credited by Mr Batt as being co-written by "Cage" -- is a valuable artistic concept in which there is a copyright.

"We are nevertheless very pleased to have reached agreement with Mr Batt over this dispute, and we accept his donation in good spirit."

"A One Minute Silence" has now been released as part of a double A-side single

quote:

" But let's get this straight: John's silence was inferior to mine. My silence was digital and his was analogue. Also, mine was not played by an eight-piece band and his was not played by a solo clarinet."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spog
Aug 7, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

There was a recent one, where a classical cellist had a dating profile. She also happened to be like 4'10" and asian, so she attracted a very specific TYPE of internet creep. I'll see if I can find the blog.

I was wrong, she's 4'9" and a violinist.

https://www.instagram.com/perv_magnet/

Let's take a look.

Oh, she's adorably cute. No wonder she attracts attention.

Let's see her list of 'creepy' messages. They can't be that bad, can they? She's probably being a bit over-sensitive.

Mother of god!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

As a gag gift one year for christmas my mom gave me an issue of "Crappie Magazine". She also gave me a knife the package in large font labeled as a "boner".

Your mom gave you a boner for christmas?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

burexas.irom posted:

No, the funny part is that there's no instructions on how to updog.

What's 'updog'?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Came here to post this.

I loved the quote from his mum:

quote:

Pauline Innes, Ben's mother, said: "We don't really want to comment on what has happened until he's home and we know he's safe and well. Obviously he's not come home yet and there are security issues to think about - we don't want to talk about anything until it has all been resolved."

She added: "All we can say is that the picture is clearly not a selfie as everyone has been describing it. You can clearly see that it is not Ben who is taking the picture. He's in it but he's not taking it.

But we don't want to speak about anything until he's back home."

It's great that her greatest concern is that the media are calling it a 'selfie' when it isn't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Holy poo poo, she has the exact same look on her face in every single one of them, no matter how big the dick, bottle, or other implement in her rear end... Its like she doesn't even notice O.o

Linky ?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I have a video that proves that claim and is also funny enough to stand on its own in the funny thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAtBVRFD_Zg

Have you ever had a moment where your brain just cannot process what you're seeing and it locks up?

It's just happened to me

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Soulex posted:

It happens everytime you look in a mirror

You realise that's a reflection and not someone who looks really, really like you?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Elfface posted:

What, you've never had a quick tinkle on the ivories?

That said, I suspect this, amd maybe the one above, are Rich Person Bathrooms. When you're so rich your bathroom is bigger bigger than a poor person living room, why not put a piano in there? You can put doodads on top of it.

I think I like the idea of musical accompaniment while I poop.

The piano is much classier that the usual wind instruments that I play myself

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I thought it was a penis.

Then I slept with my mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted: