Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Not a Children posted:

I don't understand how you can build something that big, ostensibly for public display of collected materials, and then have loving NOTHING INSIDE

This is what happens when you give an architect a blank cheque and carte blanch, who is 99% concerned with how the outside looks, and gives zero fucks what happens on the inside. The addition is huge, but the reason why it is so empty is that 90% of the wall space is useless due to the angles and size, and the open spaces are haphazard and there is no flow. Despite the large size of the open areas, even when you put relatively small exhibits in them, it really breaks up the room and creates bottlenecks for people walking, even if it's not crowded.

Another horrible use of space.

Lakehead University ATAC building:

The exterior of the building looks like the abandoned factory from the original Robocop movie from any angle but this one due to the way they "showcased" the climate/environmental controls. While I don't find it particularly offensive from this angle, the interior is pretty much a, "101 ways to waste space" from a first year architecture course.

A friend who was taking Engineering had a chance to look at the blueprints and said that a ridiculous amount of space was wasted on stairs and hallways. Something like 1/6 of the square footage of the building was stairs, and another 1/4 of the building was hallways, with another 1/5 of the building being unused open floors that served no purpose or they just set up some PC's on tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

This looks like a season 1 or 2 matte painting of a planet the Star Trek TNG crew beams down to.

All the open, useless space reminds me of that old thread of pictures taken from one of Mike Tyson's abandoned mansions.

bartlebyshop posted:

This second picture looks exactly like Davis Centre at UWaterloo, to the point where I am 99% it was taken there.

The ATAC building in Thunder bay is a kit building, there are 2 or three more of them in Ontario at other universities. They are pretty much carbon copies right down to the crayola colour palette.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Three Olives posted:

I've heard numerous, numerous people say they like it but god this thing is a turd:

Looks like someone left a Zumwalt laying around to rust.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

Speaking of the University of Toronto campus has anyone posted Robarts Library aka Brutalist Peacock?

"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Howard Beale posted:

That's in Cincinnati (and is not a failure)

I was thinking of the Stallone Dredd one. (Or was that the hall of Judges?)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If brutalism is your thing, might as well go for broke and post the German Flak towers from WWII

The concrete was so thick that soviet artillery was completely ineffective, and American bombers gave them a wide berth when doing daylight raids due to the number of guns mounted on them. Apparently they could depress the 128mm guns enough to engage soviet tanks miles out. After the war they realized that trying to demolish these things would have been an undertaking almost as expensive as the invasion of Europe and left them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

I noticed Canada seems overrepresented in this thread.

A lot of it has to do with our population getting to a point where we needed real administrative buildings instead of whatever office or shack was left over from the late 1800's to the 1950's. It just so happened that brutalism was taking off when we needed all these new city halls, libraries, government buildings and universities.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Proposition Joe posted:

There are actually people who want to preserve Boston City Hall even though it barely functions as an important civic building and is ugly. If Boston gets another snow storm and descends into a post-apocalyptic scenario then I will take over city hall and call it the Doom Fortress.

RIP Scollay Square.

I always thought that businesses on the first floor of apartments was something that should have never gone out of style. You see this happening all the way up to the 60's/70's, then pretty much stopping. That's one thing I really miss about Korea and China (although they have stopped the practice as well), but it's nice to be able to go to the first floor to pick up some groceries, or have a bite to eat. Nothing (IMO) destroys an area faster than just erecting a pile of apartments for miles in every direction and saying "this is a vibrant neighborhood because there is a gas station, Starbucks, and a Walmart 2km away".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kimmalah posted:

My town is pretty small, but there are still a few of these around. One's a weird little grocery and the other is a law office with single apartments on top.

Older neighbourhoods I've been to in Toronto, Ottawa, Chicago, Seoul, Beijing, Changchun, Shenyang, Busan, . . . etc. Are so much better than the new "apartment only" blocks, as there is stuff to see and do, and there is a reason to walk around and be there, as opposed to only going outside your apartment to get somewhere where there is actually something.

These are pretty much extreme polar-opposite examples, but a middle ground does exist.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Odds are the congregation had packed up and the Church could no longer afford to heat and maintain the building. So it was either going to be outright bulldozed, turned into a grow-op, or this design abortion. What a lot of people don't know is that as soon as you stop heating a stone building such as a church, it pretty much instantly begins to fall apart due to the drastic temperature changes in the winter. Condensation builds up inside, then freezes, pries apart stonework, and the process goes on and on. Look at how fast brick building in Detroit fell apart when abandoned for only a few years.

Fetus Tree posted:

There are still a lot of areas in boston that have this

I'm not saying that they outright bulldozed all these neighborhoods or that they no longer exist, it's just that the trend for the past 30-50 years has been "lets build nothing but 100% apartments and nothing else for a good 2km radius". And wherever they decide to build stores it's the same. It's like some autist who can't stand to have things touch was let loose in a real-life version if Sim city.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Wait, are mixed-use buildings not a thing anymore? There seem to be a bunch in Charlotte and Raleigh.

There are naturally exceptions (if we're talking about new architecture), but I'm talking about the general trend in North America to segregate commercial and residential and have a nice 5km drive on a 4 lane highway between them. So basically you have apartment blocks/condos/suburbs with absolutely nothing around them, and retail villages with the same. So for some people, there is literally no reason for you to be outside of your apartment unless your in your car driving somewhere. On the other hand, areas like what Frosted Flak posted encourage people to walk, shop, browse and to beautify the area so that it becomes a more inviting and interesting place.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

This room isn't complete until there are ashtrays with thin plumes of smoke rising up from them and a Cray computer off to the side.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

simosimo posted:

Welcome to Medway, in Kent, UK. I present the Pentagon shopping centre, with large office 'skyscraper' on top

With ominous, dank dark bus depot [but now defunct. Replaced with an outside, futuristic bus depot]

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBSyKY4JCU

What is it about absolutely horrible bus stations attached to Malls? The Yorkdale Mall bus station in Toronto has spend 80% of the last 20 years under construction, and it is still a grimy (straight out of the 70's) style station. Bathrooms, benches, ticket booth, lockers, maybe a few bullitin boards and a flatscreen or two on the walls, naturally some vending machines with hilariously overpriced wares. . . and if you're feeling creative have a sandwich/coffee shop with some free wifi as well.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Paddyb posted:

Museum Tower Louisville OMA

"Peace"

Speaking of peace, a proposed development design for Mecca.

efb

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

anchoress posted:

yeah it's true

also the architect who did every university library in the country forgot to account for the weight of the books, so now the building is sinking into the earth

I don't know how this rumour still persists with the existence of the internet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I loved Flight of the Navigator as a kid.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SocketWrench posted:

"Nyet comrade, we simply built cheap known to be flawed reactor, it will be fine. vodka for everyone"

"poo poo"

I love how even though it was a terribly flawed design, the operators had to intentionally shut down nearly every safety protocol and do the exact opposite of every prescribed protocol, and then actively ignore all the remaining warning signs for this to happen.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ruebennase posted:

The Estrel hotel/convention center:

It's the Soviet train from Goldeneye.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"We're so sorry, you see we meant to bomb this other civilian target".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ehhhnnnn, not really. living a first-world lifestyle anywhere at all on this planet earth is gonna be de-facto "unsustainable", the thing is reducing impact as much as possible. earthships in particular (what most of those are) are designed to work well in deserts- they integrate greenhouses into the design (the glass frontage is usually filled with planters for food crops), use cisterns to catch rain and divert waste greywater that isn't from the toilet directly back into the planters, and use passive heating/cooling to stay comfortable without AC, along with using garbage and local cheap/appropriate building materials like adobe for construction.
so its not net zero impact but it's a hell of a lot better than any conventional dwelling built in the desert, and yeah, the tradeoff is very cheap land and relaxed building code

This is pretty much it, when it comes to desert living.

Some people also have wells that access the water table (if you're lucky) and other people rig up elaborate condensation catching setups that can collect a lot of fresh water due to the day/night temperature changes. You're not going to be having hour longs showers or watering an acre of crops, but you can get by comfortably if you ration a little.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Happy Bear Suit posted:

wasn't there some sort of incident where way too much sunlight was coming in from the windows and causing all sorts of damage to the exhibitions so they had to move everything out?

lmao.

It was originally supposed to be all glass, but they then realized that direct sunlight hitting stuff you usually put in a museum isn't a good idea if you want the integrity of the artwork/artifacts to be maintained. So they had to drastically scale back the amount of glass and sub it for metal siding. The real reason why the addition is mostly empty (discussed earlier in the thread) is that there is no place to put anything. Nothing can hang on the walls because they are all at strange angles, and the addition's extra space is so compartmented and disjointed that even adding small exhibits creates really big flow and floorspace issues.

If you google image search "Royal Ontario Museum Addition" you'll see how utterly useless the added space really is.

Cubey posted:

the fact that this guy is getting paid a ton to make complete trash like this makes me angry

Holy poo poo, this doesn't appear to actually add any usable space whatsoever!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The men's bathroom has a glass wall behind the urinals on the observation deck. Makes it feel like you're peeing on the ground hundreds of feet below.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MustelaFuro posted:

This is the PatCenter. It looks like someone built a giant locker room around the skeleton of a gutted ship. It has won a bunch of awards too, apparently. I believe it is currently without occupants, if any of you happen to be looking for a "building".

Potential Occupant: "So which building is it?"
Building Owner: "It's the one that looks like a mix between a partially erected circus tent and a sex-swing."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mordja posted:

Stealing from a 3 Olives thread but

:wtc:

newmoney.jpg lostmoney.jpg

Guessing someone hit it big in 2008 and lost it all in 2009.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Continuing the Rt1 Kick.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I might be outing myself, but that looks cool as hell.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Benagain posted:

Speaking of Gehry wannabes,

Thankfully, this never got built.

"rear end-Auger Tower"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MikeJF posted:

But we were so close to the greatest thing ever, in 1992.

When it got old and busted and they needed to make room for the new hotness, the demolition could be staged to look like Star Trek III.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I remember blowing that thing up in Dark Forces.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Not gonna lie, I would love (and probably later hate) to live in that unit jutting out of the tower.

Cultural Imperial posted:

There's a whole bunch of anecdotes floating around the internets about how flw's houses were pretty lovely inside. Is that true? If so, why is he so highly respected?

Part of the FLW hate is that the guy was a massive prick. He was an rear end in a top hat to anyone who didn't 100% approve and love everything he did, and anyone who had the gall to do something that didn't look like his stuff was an idiot. He3 was also really bad at structural engineering, and when he designed Falling Water, he had a laughable small amount of support beams and metal holding up a massive hanging slab of concrete. One of the engineers went behind his back and doubled-tripled the amount that FLW said was needed, received a lot of flack from FLW, and even then it still sagged like crazy. He's so highly regarded because a few of this designs (Falling Water for example) inspired a whole new direction in architecture. Falling Water is absolutely beautiful, and I think it is totally liveable (with a few decent dehumidifier units added) but a lot of his stuff wasn't so great unless you loved bare concrete, massive echo chambers, feeling like you're living in a cave, or almost nowhere to get changed without someone seeing you naked.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sound Bite posted:

The Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, IL struck me as pretty livable when I toured it in high school, but damned if it didn't have examples of literally every one of those issues.

The Kaufmann House (designed by Richard Neutra and commissioned by the same guy who had FLW make Falling Water) is another example of a building that spawned an architectural revolution, but was horribly unliveable due to, massive amounts of concrete, horrible echoes, and having nowhere to get changed.

Funny you should mention the DTH, as I consider it to be the prime example (until Penn Jillete's abortion) of a schizophrenic house. Is it supposed to be Victorian? Neoclassical? Edwardian? Japanese inspired? MAKE UP YOUR MIND HOUSE!

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 13, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grim Up North posted:

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEfY4ZB8YY

My favourite part of this design is where you have to climb up and down ladders every time you move more than 8 feet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ulvir posted:

this house unironically owns. if I didn't live near the arctic circle I would've loved to live in that

Winter really sucks when I comes to house-design options. If I lived on the west coast (BC) I'd most definitely build something like this.

Creekside Cabin in Seattle. There is more to it hidden at the back, but I would love to have a nice glass wall in the living room (not the bedrooms) that looked like a mural of a lush forest. Also I would not have those sink basins as they are a bitch to clean underneath the edges.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Accretionist posted:

That wood siding in the living room might, though.

The original cabin was quite tiny, so they kept some of the exterior walls as new interior walls. That's one of my favourite features of the house, but then again to each his own.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tenzarin posted:

Where do you masterbate?

I think this has retractable blinds that come down out of the ceiling right next to the windows, so you can turn every window into an opaque wall if you so choose.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

i was reloading posted:

this motherfucker OP actually said "tyool" LMFAOOO

i hope you die of testicular cancer and burn in hell you piece of gently caress

Did you go to jail for 8 months between reading the op and hitting "submit reply"?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I never imagined the Klingon homeworld having winter.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah because building living spaces out of 8' by 8' by 20' (or 490') boxes is great... Especially since those are outside dimension, the inside is a bit smaller, and thats before you put in insulation.

Also they're cheaply made as gently caress. They're a step above cardboard boxes but a very very tiny step.

True. Also, bringing shipping containers up to code and making a liveable area out of them usually ends up being more expensive than traditional methods. The only time this works is if you actually get them at scrap value.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminds me of these things which have been going up in my neighborhood :

Three types of panelling, two types of roofing, not an ounce of aesthetic style. It could possibly look decent with board and batten on the bottom half and cedar shingles on the top half, but the overall shape and "juttiness" of the house irks me.

Accretionist posted:

Would this count as brutalist or would it be 'modern' or what?

Either way, that is/would be the perfect amount of green-gray balance for brutalism.

This place, while not offensive looking on the outside, still screams "commercial sprawl" to me. If you've ever driven into Toronto along the 400, about half of the offices along the highway look very similar to this.

Also this is pretty much the only location (West coast rainforest) where you can get away with that kind of window arrangement and not be totally paranoid that someone is always watching you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I like big juts and I can not lie
You other realtors can't deny
That when a house goes up with a ton of wasted space
And a faux-dormer thing in your face
You get 25-percent down!

Not so much a failure as nouveau-bland design and colour taking over. (Guess what colour the entire interior is)

• Locked thread