Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Randbrick posted:

Per the news report, the suit was filed by the victim's nephew.

Filing bogus obstruction, resisting arrest, and assault/battery charges is a the first step cops follow when they're faced with excessive force suits. Many states make ANY battery to a cop on the job a felony, and obstruction and witness intimidation charges almost always have a felony flavor. These charges gives them leverage over civil and possible civil plaintiffs, and often lets them to leverage bogus charges against the dismissal of civil lawsuits.

I would hazard a guess that there was a lot more to Mr. Dezinger's nephew's brutality suit, and that there is a gag order in place, because it never comes up in the story. I'd also note that the felony charges were filed ONE YEAR after the process was served, which could correspond pretty well to the lifespan of a civil lawsuit.

But, no, this was not some petty retaliation against a random process server, this was the local cops and DA's office targeting a family member of a civil plaintiff in an effort to force the plaintiff to back off on his claim. It's petty, cruel, and criminal, but it's also a lot more calculated than the story lets on.

Of course, if any non-prosecutor (real) lawyer ever backed a bogus story under these circumstances, assisting in fraudulent barratry, it really wouldn't be an open question what would happen to that attorney. A lucky outcome would be a suspension from practice so long as to essentially be disbarment. That is to say nothing of the criminal charges that would follow. Jail or prison time would not be outside the realm of possibility. And none of these consequences would be hypothetical or abstract -- your rear end would be toast, and fast.

Edit - One of the perjuring DA's still has a job on the taxpayer dime in that jurisdiction.

i was about to ask, shouldn't those two prosecutors be facing disbarment? they didn't just hide evidence of the guy's innocence, they knowingly lied about his guilt

i guess being a criminal prosecutor means there's literally no punishment for your actions unless those actions are "didn't throw enough people in jail this month"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to that link, the police were called because the son was off his medication, making threats and behaving erratically. I'm certain that had an influence on how they reacted. That said, I'd agree that this is a situation where non-lethal force would have been better.

you might want to read the article again, the cops said the mother called cause he was making violent threats

the mother claims he had never had a history of violence, she claims she called the cops "to ask the police for help bringing her son, who was bipolar and schizophrenic, to Parkland Hospital. He was in a crisis because he was off his medication".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pohl posted:

Did she look particularly worried when she walked out of the the house? No, she walked out perfectly calm, yet frustrated. She wasn't scared of her son, she was tired of his behavior. The difference is huge. You can't tell me the cops didn't see her walk calmly out while bitching up a storm, and catch a clue.

she even begs them not to shoot just a second before they do

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

blunt for century posted:

I asked yesterday, but why didn't they use their tasers instead of their handguns? This type of situation is exactly what they're meant for.

tasers are for unarmed people you want to torture, cops apparently consider them and pepperspray useless for anything else

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jarmak posted:

This is my big question, whether the shooting was justified or not (the video doesn't show the shooting at all) it was totally unnecessary for things to unfold that way.

are you watching the same video as everyone else? it most certainly does show the shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOfJcYUlqjo

i mean the cop covers his cam up with his arm afterwards but yeah you can see the exact moment when he's shot

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, that video doesn't show anything useful at the actual time of the shooting, the camera is pointing at the corner

you don't need a head on shot of the scene to see not much happened for cops to be scared of. the kid traveled probably a grand total of 5 feet between the entrance of his doorway to where he died. he apparently stepped out on to the porch in front of his door while the camera was turned, when the shots were fired he was stepping off that and then he fell and died on the pavement. i'm not sure what threatening gestures he's supposed to have made in those few seconds that would justify his shooting

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

What's the time difference in firing a taser versus firing a handgun, considering either is already drawn and aimed? I'm willing to bet they're both much much much faster than the speed a man with a screwdriver can move.

no you see a taser is more like tickling, it's only really useful for when you'd like to nudge a suspect into complying with you

meanwhile, this crazed black giant probably would've grown stronger from a taser blast and may have been undefeatable if our boys in blue hadn't discovered his fatal weakness

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nm posted:

The problem with tasers for deadly force incidents is that they malfunction a lot. One prong goes in, the other doesn't. I see that a lot with my clients who get tased (well attempted). That is fine for someone who is physically non-compliant or doesn't pose a deadly risk. The taser is a replacement for the club or pepper stray not the firearm.
I'm not saying he did nor did not pose such a risk here, I think the camera angle makes it unclear (and the police stories are going to be self-serving), but if he did, the close distance between him and the officers means that if the taser fails, there is no backup.

They had at least 5 seconds (actually a long time as these go) from the point of seeing the weapon (yelling commands to drawing the weapon), knowing he had MH issues. Instead of backing up and de-escalating, they either stood ground or even moved closer and barked orders. Regardless of what this guy did in those 5 seconds, if they had acted more appropriately for the situation this kid would be in a mental hospital somewhere.

doesn't seem like it can even be claimed to be a replacement for a baton or pepperspray at this point. both could've immobilised/disarmed this guy without killing him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SedanChair posted:

The entire concept of having to use a gun for defense against edged weapons is misguided and based on inadequate training. If police knew how to use their batons they would be a more appropriate and less dangerous solution for literally everyone involved; police, their victims and bystanders.

seriously, a baton has a reach advantage over a screwdriver, it has a utility advantage over the screwdriver (every hit is guaranteed to hurt as opposed to only forceful stabs), etc. there is literally no reason cops HAD to turn to guns in this situation

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

How about they mace him, then while he's distracted and can't see (very well) they can tase him from behind. Then they can tackle and disarm him while he's incapacitated or use riot shields or something. My point is that they had a whole fuckload of other options available, but they decided to, yet again, escalate the situation immediately and then start shooting the scary scary black man

impossible, he'll just power through the massive amounts of pain mace causes in pursuit of cop-death. cops trained to do it can do it, so a manic-depressive kid with schizophrenia would probably have the mental strength and focus to do it too!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nope, still hurts. Taser hurts too, but not as much.

Sounds like you had a significantly worse reaction than most people.

no i can attest to that too, mace sucks a lot

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nm posted:

My "favorite" part of excessive force cases is when the officer keeps tasing and tasing a person because they won't comply. I'm not sure they understand how the nervous system works and how a big jolt of electricity can prevent someone from doing what you're yelling as you tase him.

you would think being tazed as part of their tazer training would make this clear, but obviously not. maybe cops should be tazed, then yelled at to do a pushup and tazed again when they fail to comply to get it through their skulls

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading an article several years ago where a US Army officer said that when it came to cornering someone inside a house in Iraq, he was literally under stricter rules of engagement than the cops are. The army would surround the house and basically wait the guy out, and more often than not the dude would surrender within like 24 hours. If I remember right, actually breaking into the house was considered extremely risky and a last resort, and he'd have to get permission from further up the chain of command to do so.

Contrast with the cops where they're loving gung-ho about bashing the door in and throwing flashbangs and LARPing out their Tom Clancy Rainbow Six fantasies.

well i mean this is just real obvious tactics. why go into an area where enemies could be posted up and prepared for you when you can surround them and wait for them to run out of supplies? plus a house's entrance is a dangerous chokepoint that gives your enemies a pretty nice advantage.

edit: plus if you outnumber them then less of them can rest and for shorter periods of time, so they should become fatigued p fast

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 16, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Voyager I posted:

No, the issue is that you're misinterpreting the behavior of the military and making comparisons that are only superficially similar. It's not restraint or concern for the wellbeing of their opponents, it's caution in the face of actual danger. As others have said, sometimes this caution takes the form of just blowing up a building if they think it would be too dangerous to send people in, and war in general kills lots and lots and lots of civilians with this kind of collateral damage. You do not want your police force borrowing the army's playbook.

obviously we need it to in some situations because police are doing retarded things that put themselves and citizens in more danger. no-one's saying that the police should start treating citizens like armed combatants, but some procedures used by the military when dealing with armed combatants are clearly superior to current police tactics (such as no-knock raids) when it comes to policing.

there is really no reason why police cannot have the swat team shut off power, water, and surround a suspect's home when trying to apprehend a potentially dangerous suspect.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 17, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i read that whole thing waiting for the other shoe to drop

i'm glad it didn't, and that cops are being cool for once

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Taeke posted:

Okay, wait. So the claim is that he was in fear of his life, therefor he had to jump on the hood of the car to shoot the two, despite 12 or 13 other officers already peppering it with bullets. Did he jump on the car as his colleagues were shooting, potentially putting himself in the line of fire, or did he jump on the car after the others had stopped, pretty much to finish them off execution style?

it sounds like he jumped up during fire cause the judge said he couldn't be blamed for thinking there was still a threat cause his colleagues were still firing. that being said, I can't think of a worse place to be than the hood of a car if you're trying to deal with armed suspects. he'd have absolutely 0 cover and could easily be filled with holes by the occupants (or just loving run over).

the ruling is a giant joke

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

Clearly the kid didn't need to be shot, but a US driver refusing to give their license to a police officer, is a "Your police car has gold fringe" level of correctly exercising Constitutional rights. Especially given the recent Supreme Court ruling.

and thus he deserved 7 bullets

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dead Reckoning posted:

LSU left a child behind.

One of the defining characteristics of an active shooter is attacking multiple victims (hence, "people") often without respect to an individual motive for each one. It referrs to cases like Charles Whitman, the Columbine killings, and Virginia Tech shooting. I challenge you to find any source that considers single victim intimate partner homicides "active shooter" scenarios.

lol you loving idiot, your definition of active shooter doesn't say that.

quote:

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and other populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims.

are you able to even comprehend that sentence? it means that there are cases of active shooters who do have patterns and methods with regards to the selection of their victims. also nothing in your definition states the shooter has to shoot multiple people.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Zanzibar Ham posted:

To be fair he wasn't a cop shooting his ex-wife, so who knows what he might have done?

well it's p obvious the issue was he wouldn't keep his hands up

that's many times more dangerous a situation than a cop filling his ex with lead in public

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agrajag posted:

Deranged cop with a gun actually shooting an unarmed victim? Nah, it's cool. A minority slightly slow at complying with officers or making hand gestures? Lets light em up. (minority in this case also happens to be the victim of theft and was the one who called the cops, but whatevs am I right?)

thing is, he does it 4 times through the video and the cops shoot him almost immediately after the 4th

i'm p sure they murdered him out of pure rage at his unwillingness to follow their orders

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm gonna go ahead and say this cop is getting tried because he's a campus cop, not a true hero

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it doesn't even look like the car is moving till after the shot is fired. wtf kind of excuse can he make for why he fired then? cause the guy resisted a tiny bit?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oklahoma is going to kill a man who is probably innocent today: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/09/oklahoma-may-execute-innocent-man-richard-glossip-wednesday

why is glossip on death row? a murderer told police glossip ordered him to kill his boss. the police made sure the murderer would not have to face the death penalty in exchange for his testimony.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agrajag posted:

Look! It's a bomb not-bomb! I'm sure any reasonable person would think all those weird wires and plastic things could be confused with being a bomb.

off from some imgur post: http://imgur.com/gallery/bXnhXpK

edit: note how those pieces correspond with the stuff Ahmed used to make his bomb clock.

freetronics, as in free from the corrupting influence of infidels. loving reported you jihadist scum

Jarmak posted:

This is a really stupid argument for everyone involved considering the only difference between a bomb and a homemade alarm clock is the addition of the explosive.

wires + explosive material = bomb! detonator? why the gently caress would i need that? :shepface:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

7c Nickel posted:

It helps that he's a beanpole with glasses and a NASA shirt, aka the platonic ideal of a young geeky kid. If he had a terrible dirtstache and a semi offensive tshirt he'd be hung out to dry.

a shirt from the national arabic serial-killing association? no wonder they knew he was a threat!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

guys, the police just released a picture of the kid

so glad they busted him before he froze the school's time!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Armyman25 posted:

Not a real gun, so no cause for concern if you bring one to school:

well, the inert products logo is a pretty good hint that it's not a real gun

also, these are available for JROTC training, so it seems like they're not only brought to school, but kept at school

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 17, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

tbh, it looks like the clock is just the pieces of a digital alarm clock ripped out of its casing and put inside a pencil casing, explaining both the 9v connector and the power plug.

not that i'm good with electronics, but that circuit board looks awfully purpose built compared to an arduino or other DIY electronics stuff

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Toasticle posted:

So can this "could have thought it was a bomb" finally die since nobody ever thought it was a bomb? At worst they thought it could be a "hoax bomb", I doubt an English teacher would 'confiscate' it if she actually thought it was a bomb. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to take possession of something they think is an explosive, they evacuate the school not put in their desk drawer.

Wonder what excuse will be used to not release his interrogation recording/transcript/video. I'm sure the police would never ever interrogate a minor off record.

"What is it?"
"A clock"
"What's it for?"
"Telling time"

That's the first 30 seconds. What was the other 3(4? 5?) hours?

Funny thing is I'd bet $20 anyone criticizing him for "just taking apart a clock" or whatever wouldn't be able to even do what this kid did. I did the same poo poo when I was that age, it's figuring how the parts each interact and taking an existing clock circuit board and hooking it up to that big red time display is not as simple as people think when you're 14.

the cop thought he had a case that could net him a promotion. bully some muslim kid into confessing he wanted to start a panic, get lots of press for stopping terrorism, get a promotion and if it ever comes out it was a false confession no one cares cause you were trying to protect everyone

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

richard glossip's execution has been delayed to november after oklahoman executioners realized they did not have the potassium chloride needed to stop his heart. they had accidently procured potassium acetate instead, a food preservative and something that has been used in mummification in the past. the executioners are required to do an inventory of the drugs used for lethal injection 48 hours before execution, but they only discovered the mistake around 10 minutes before his scheduled execution

https://www.yahoo.com/health/new-twist-in-richard-glossip-1268977914331190.html

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TheImmigrant posted:

Are you addressing me? I have a visceral dislike of cops even stronger than my dislike of ersatz leftist poseurs, but I am a lawyer trained in the US and respect due process. Due process is not a thing you put in scare quotes - it's a constitutional guarantee here. Everyone involved in judicial proceedings gets it. We don't suspend it because it seems likely that dude violated someone else's rights outside of judicial proceedings.

What are you suggesting? That this cop be burned at the stake NOW, because, like, leftist veganism?

tbh, all the posters in here are asking is that this is properly investigated and that the prosecutor actually do his job. this means:

• no sitting on the case for years
  • the prosecutor doesn't take this to a grand jury and play defense for the person he should be prosecuting
  • the prosecutor doesn't give false or misleading instructions to the jury to tank the case

• Locked thread