Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn. I thought any kind of blemish, like an officer gets one complaint about a racist speeding ticket, and they're totally disqualified from getting promoted to command. This motherfucker gets DEMOTED and now he's the chief of police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Chief of police is appointed and has often nothing to do with the organizational promoting.

Someone can be appointed chief for a dept who has never worked there before and vice versa, you don't often promote to chief at all, just topping out at LT or Captain or whatever is highest.

Chief, deputy chief and commissioners, various departmental Chiefs and what have you are political appointments. In other words, the top brass often didn't ride there through ranks.

Just like head of DoJ has never been a federal agent.

In this case, blemishes will block his promotions through regular pay grades (from Lt. to Capt), but have gently caress all to do with political appointing. (Chief)

Ah, I see. Even still, how do the politicians that appoint someone with that in their past not take an enormous amount of poo poo for it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Police officer gets assigned counseling because he got a photo taken with a known criminal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Heh, Exalted Cyclops

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm so shocked!

Far more whites than minorities approve of police hitting people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo boy the stones on the guy who recorded it. I would have hauled rear end as soon as I realized I'd just recorded a shooting. If he hadn't stuck around, he wouldn't have caught the guy planting the Taser, and he might have gotten off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastervj posted:

If this cop does not get convicted of murder, (some parts of) your coun try is gonna burn.

Haha, no that's not how America works. The first time a brick gets thrown at a protest the news will be nonstop violent rioters and everyone will forget that a cop murdered a dude.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is loving hilarious up until someone gets shot to death. Like Reno 911 levels of buffoonery.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

So the guy actually had the cop's gun, was getting shots off left and right and hit an officer, and the cops still tried to take him down non-lethally until the end.

It's like impossible to see what the gently caress is going on by that part of the video, but man, that melee when the cops show up. 3 vs. 5 with 2 noncops randomly going at it in the foreground.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't want a silly little thing like a manslaughter charges ruining a vacation.

Do the Bahamas extradite to the U.S.?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If I were rich enough to make bail on a charge like that, I'd just Bob Durst it. Goodbye bail money, hello Cuba.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

The police suddenly forget their training and make oopsies when collecting evidence against other cops. Like prosecutor oopsies, this is in no way an institutional problem, it's just that sometimes people make mistakes overwhelmingly when police commit crimes. Do not disparage the process, citizen.

You probably start reforming the system in the prosecutor's office, because right now they're essentially immune from legal ramifications (or any ramifications for that matter) of misconduct and rewarded for conviction rate. Radley Balko wrote a great long (looong) form piece about it. Most of the article is examples that illustrate the impossibility of holding prosecutors accountable for anything, but there are some stats on the difficulty of holding prosecutors accountable:

quote:

In 2003, the Center for Public Integrity looked at more than 11,000 cases involving misconduct since 1970. Among those, the center found a little over 2,012 instances in which an appeals court found the misconduct material to the conviction and overturned it. Less than 50 cases resulted in any professional sanction for the prosecutor.

In 2010, USA Today published a six-month investigation of 201 cases involving misconduct by federal prosecutors. Of those, only one prosecutor "was barred even temporarily from practicing law for misconduct." The Justice Department wouldn't even tell the paper which case it was, citing concern for the prosecutor's privacy.

A 2006 review in the Yale Law Journal concluded that "[a] prosecutor's violation of the obligation to disclose favorable evidence accounts for more miscarriages of justice than any other type of malpractice, but is rarely sanctioned by courts, and almost never by disciplinary bodies."

An Innocence Project study of 75 DNA exonerations -- that is, cases where the defendant was later found to be unquestionably innocent -- found that prosecutorial misconduct factored into just under half of those wrongful convictions. According to a spokesman for the organization, none of the prosecutors in those cases faced any serious professional sanction.

A 2009 study (PDF) by the Northern California Innocence Project found 707 cases in which appeals courts had found prosecutor misconduct in the state between 1997 and 2009. But of the 4,741 attorneys the state bar disciplined over that period, just 10 were prosecutors. The study also found 67 prosecutors whom appeals courts had cited for multiple infractions. Only six were ever disciplined.

Most recently, in April, ProPublica published an investigation of 30 cases in New York City in which prosecutor misconduct had caused a conviction to be overturned. Only one prosecutor was significantly disciplined.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tentative8e8op posted:

Our sheriff said under oath that he orders investigations into his political enemies, and admitted to a judge that an investigator was sent to scrutinize the judge's wife for anything incriminating.

Hasn't he been behaving like that for a decade? Isn't there some mechanism for removing unhinged people like him from office?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
LA County is buying body cameras for their officers. Buuuuuuut, they won't be releasing footage, and they have a specific rule saying officers are allowed to view the footage before making statements.

chitoryu12 posted:

It also very curiously fails to talk even a little about police murder. We're currently at 381 deaths directly by police or during an arrest as of April 27th. If this trend continues, it's likely that we'll see over 1200 deaths that can be potentially attributed directly to a police officer by the end of the year. Assuming the video's stated 14,000 non-police murders by the end of the year (as the FBI statistics only count criminal murder, not deaths caused by police that are deemed justified or not investigated), American police will actually be committing off-the-record killings equal to 8.5% of the national murder total. In the meantime, Norwegian police killed one person as of 2013 and were grieving like it was a national tragedy.

A killing has to be found to be a murder by a jury, which tosses out the accidental deaths, self-defense killings and manslaughters.

You'd want the number of homicides in a year to accurately compare the "killed by police" number.

Edit: The CDC says there's about 16,000 homicides a year, but then as someone noted the Killed By Police stats include traffic accidents, so that would add the 35,000 traffic accidents from the CDC stats. So 1,200/51,000 and police are responsible for 2.35% of those kinds of deaths.

That video says police are 0.22% of the population, so that's 10x what you'd expect? Probably not though because I'm sure I'm missing something.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 29, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The officer who chased Gray down apparently had his guns taken away and spent some time chilling out at a mental ward a few years back.

quote:

The top Baltimore city police officer suspended following Freddie Gray's death was hospitalized in April 2012 following concerns about his mental health, according to records from a sheriff's department and court obtained by The Associated Press.

Worries about Lt. Brian Rice's stability — originally raised by a fellow Baltimore police officer who is the mother of his child — led deputies to confiscate his guns and contact high-ranking police officials, the report says.

Rice, who initially pursued Gray on a Baltimore street when Gray fled after Rice made eye contact April 12, declared three years ago that he "could not continue to go on like this" and threatened to commit an act that was censored in the public version of a report obtained by the AP from the Carroll County, Maryland, Sheriff's Office. Rice lived in the county, about 35 miles northwest of Baltimore.

Deputies reported that Rice appeared "normal and soft spoken" and said he had been seeking "sympathy and attention." But citing "credible information," the deputies confiscated both his official and personal guns, called his commanding officer and transported Rice to the Carroll Hospital Center. The weapons included his .40-caliber police pistol, a 9 mm handgun, an AK-47-style rifle, a .22-caliber rifle and two shotguns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So there was that video of that unreported stop that the store owner said the authorities got a hold of. I wonder if there's something heinous on it in light of the charges.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

A possible scenario is that they are driving around, whether they are intending to rough Gray up with the ride or not, and at some point, probably the point where he smashed his head on the bolt and broke his neck, they hear that sickening crunch and then no more noise out of Gray. They probably go "oh gently caress" and stop to look Gray over and survey the situation, and realize he's in grave condition. The decision then becomes whether to seek immediate medical attention for the guy, or take a course of action (longer ride, picking up other prisoner etc.) likely to result in Gray's death but removing a witness against them. If something like that happened it might be very difficult to prove intent unless one cop rolled over on the others, but it might not be hard to go for a "depraved indifference" kind of scenario where you have a seriously injured man whose life is in danger who you didn't take care to promptly bring to medical attention.

If the unreported stop shows some of those events it could be pretty damning, like if it shows them examining a limp and lifeless appearing Gray, looking around and stuffing him back in the van and then going on an additional half hour of ride without reporting any of it.

But I have some questions about whether the video actually exists, hopefully it does. Didn't the Korean shop owner say something about the cops first coming and getting copies of the video (before the riots) and then his laptop with the video being looted during the riot?

Well the speed of the charges made me think they must have some slam dunk evidence. I hadn't considered that one of the officers may have cut a deal to testify.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think that the prosecution mentioned having some evidence that wasn't publicly revealed, which means that they're holding onto it to make sure that nobody creates a cover for it or tries to otherwise gently caress with its introduction. I don't really see one of the officers cutting a deal, because I've never heard of this occurring and the very fact that the "sworn brotherhood" culture causes so much of the rampant power abuse in the first place.

The culture of silence is strong, but it doesn't ever have to stand up to murder charges like this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

idiotsavant posted:

Dunno if it's been posted but here's another heartwarming story about cool BART cops. In one of the videos it's especially clear that she gets intentionally slammed face-first into the ground while handcuffed, so hopefully there's a big payday coming her way.

Haha, everyone in the room knew how bad this one was immediately. Never seen 4 police officers wince and go "ohhhhh" simultaneously before.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

Pullum seems to agree that "subjected was verbed by actor" is a passive clause. He's right that it's not as simple as "Subject had verbed" but I do think that the construction does distance the actor from their action. It may not literally obfuscate who is the agent, but it does obfuscate their responsibility. Here's a Psychology Today thing discussing how passive voice causes people to judge the person doing poo poo more leniently.

You see passive voice in stories because the only sources that get used are the police. Reporters write most crime stories using only information released by the police. If you compare crime stories to real stories, you'll see a lot of police jargon in crime stories where the reporter is copy-pasting from the police news release. The public information officer will never tell you which officer shot a dude (or they'll use the mysterious bullet-from-nowhere passive voice), so you end up with passive voice in the story.

But when the police release info on a suspect, the authorities are more than happy to tell you exactly what they think happen, so you get stories where it's "Robert Smith robbed a liquor store and then pistol-whipped a baby, authorities said."

I think it generally stems from laziness/being overworked rather than intentionally covering for the police. Reporters should try to find witnesses and other sources for stories besides the police, but those things are tough to dig up and they've got 3 more stories to write today. Although, most of the police reporters and city editors I know aren't real sympathetic to defendants because they spend a lot of their time hearing from police what shitbags the defendants are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Mattybee posted:

Hi! I work with teenagers in a residential facility. If you are so scared of a Literal Five Year Old Child that you need to have the police handle it...

a) You are a gigantic loving baby.
b) You are totally unqualified for your job.

There is no goddamn circumstance in which the police should need to be called to arrest a Literal Five Year Old Child. Jesus Christ.

I dunno, those kids can kick pretty hard sometimes

*tases pre-K student*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Morkies posted:

The most elegant way to understand the recent spate of rioting is that part of the Federal government, using its proxies — which it supports through transfer payments in a variety of ways — is using proxies to diminish the authority of local police departments in order to replace them with units directly loyal to the Federal government.

While some may want to portray it as some sort of masterful conspiracy, it’s really more like a crazy, destructive, and transparent plot without a whole lot of mystery behind it or likely upside for all that many people.

In a recent private discussion I mentioned that it wouldn’t be all that shocking if some foreign power or another was bribing officials here and there to fan the flames — that would at least be more rational and understandable. It’d even be respectable.

It’d be something that could be more easily dealt with and deterred, perhaps, than just plain degeneration into incredibly poor quality governance.

In general, whatever your feelings about modern police — and I’ve tended to be critical of the concept — in a conflict between the local police and terror forces being used by the Federal government against small property holders — you should be siding with the people being attacked, because they’re ordinary citizens and small business owners.

Terrorizing these ordinary Americans into bankruptcy and into fleeing their cities is an evil action. The assaults and murders against ordinary people and cops are also evil, with no sane moral justification.

There’s a tendency in the way that American professors teach history that tends to regard ‘people power’ and popular movements as wonderful things — rather than precisely the sorts of movements which have bathed both Europe and Asia in the blood of tens of millions since the 18th century. Popular movements tend to create enormous destruction and chaos. Historians may rationalize after the fact that it was all in the service of something better, but careful analysis usually finds that revolutions are not, by and large, good things.

The riots are mobilizing people to use as terror forces against the civilian population in a variety of American cities. Right-thinking opinion is supposed to praise the terror campaigns against American civilians, in part because those campaigns are quite nakedly being used to usurp authority from local politicians in favor of Washington. There’s not even any ‘false flag’ there — the riots are just being nakedly instigated by the prestige press, certain political types, and various officials in the Federal government.

Taking the rhetoric of loose terror groups at face value — rather than focusing on their actions — is moronic. The pretense that terror by itself is a cleansing force is central to the left. While that pretense may seem safe and even exciting in the classroom, when brought into reality, it brings horror with it.

But how does Jade Helm 15 fit into it?

Edit: also, chemtrails?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 8, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Reading the news of various websites definitely gives the feeling a chunk of the media really really doesn't seem to like the idea these cops might be charged any more than the cops do.

A lot of crime reporters spend all their time talking to police and tend to slowly adopt the idea that suspects are all inhuman scum who must be stomped out by our brave, brave officers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, but the Baltimore paper released video of the Freddie Gray arrest that seems to contradict the police narrative that Gray was fine and resisting when they put him in the van.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cop needs a better attorney, stat

quote:

In his closing arguments at the police board hearing, Herbert emphasized the lack of information about where and when the photo was taken — and the mystery surrounding the African-American man’s identity.

“What’s to say this individual wasn’t performing at a Christmas pageant in the district and was dressed as a reindeer and had taken the reindeer suit off? Again, I don’t mean to make preposterous arguments, but the charges in this case, they warrant that,” he said.

Herbert also compared the photo to an episode of “Seinfeld” in which Jerry is wrongly accused of picking his nose.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
John Oliver tackled the bail system last night, arguing for more pretrial services and release for people who can't afford to pay exorbitant bail amounts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cichlid the Loach posted:

drat, and he couldn't even have known how timely that turned out to be :smith:

Maybe someone in this thread is well-versed in the history of the legal system. Is the bail system just some artifact of a time when someone could just completely disappear if you let them out awaiting trial? It's always been weird to me that there's a whole "You can just buy your way out if you've got the money," thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

This case had nothing to do with exorbitant bail, he was denied bail after the indictment because he was on probation.

I'm not talking about that case; I'm talking about the John Oliver segment I posted earlier.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Oh, the cop was sitting in her patrol car and just shot out from behind her window.

Saves time. Don't even have to open the door, just drive right on to the next shooting. Solid police work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Is internal affairs actually a thing in the US police or is it only the major forces that have it? It seems like a video of an officer kicking the poo poo out of someone is the kind of thing they would get involved with.

Snitches get stitches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the correct police apologist line is:

"obviously what happened wasn't ok, but since the disciplinary process is confidential we should assume that the officers received any and all punishments they needed. Really, haven't these officers suffered enough? They'll have to live the rest of their lives with that moment."

"Technically, this was all legal"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, but that's a wee bit different than being in Rikers for 3 years awaiting trial for a charge that was eventually dismissed: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/06/before-the-law

Well sure a 16 year old was kept in Rikers for 3 years (2 in solitary confinement) because prosecutors used the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law, but, I think you'll find that any attempts to fix the system would violate the prosecutors' rights to gently caress with suspects because they assume they're all guilty scum. Completely unconstitutional, these fixes. It's like you expect the system to presume people to be innocent or something.

2 years average wait in Rikers for a trial is pretty standard for criminal trials, so I don't see what all these plebes are bitching about. They should educate themselves on the law so that they understand how lucky they are to have a system that respects justice and human rights so much.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why y'all even bother trying to engage in a policy debate here. People who work for a systemically racist system have no intention of working to implement change (even thouhgh they're the best positioned to). Either they don't see (or care about) the problem or they've been internalizing rationalizations for years.

They can call this thread an outrage circle jerk, but outrage has been proving itself a pretty effective motivator in the past few years. "This injustice should end now," is a perfectly fine assertion, and politicians can hash out the details once they've been made to care by a pissed off public.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can an autopsy determine if someone had a concussion or not? It seems pretty likely that she killed herself since the video doesn't show anyone else ever going into her cell, but it would be pretty hosed up if she had an untreated concussion for three days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Useful Distraction posted:

Hm yes, why would anybody get the idea that you're a racist, I wonder...

Hahaha, I'm not sure why anybody's bothering at this point

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If it makes you feel better Pohl, that was a really funny flameout.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

What if the cop asked you to take off your clothes? Or go down on him? Better to live another day, right? After all he has a gun and a taser.

You can beat the rap, but not the mustache ride.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
StoryCorps did an animated account of a guy who almost got killed by the cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vep6DmMvLUQ

All three cops were cleared but the city paid out over $750,000. Two of the cops were later fired for lying on different police reports, one of them involving another beating.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22964319/review-clears-3-denver-police-officers-2009-beating

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Lying on their own police reports should be an automatic firing offence.

One of the fired officers was later reinstated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

A minor point, but I am curious: Is Alex asking to see a warrant a reasonable thing, or is he just confused about the process? I would have though that this being just a traffic stop initially would mean they obviously do not have a warrant, but they might have probable cause to search the car since his friend had weed?

I don't know. I suspect they didn't need a warrant once they found weed on his friend, but maybe one of the lawyers around here would know for sure.

• Locked thread