Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sure this won't be covered by the news and if it does it'll be just a "few bad apples." I wonder how many other police departments have something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So in other cop news as well two NYPD Narcotics detectives were caught stealing money from a bodega during a raid. They were both fired, one of the cops just happened to be the most sued police officer in the city, and a retired cop on Staten Island was caught running an illegal poker ring.

Man it's like there is some kind of culture of corruption in the NYPD.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Growing up in the early 90s I recall there being a big dust up cause an NYPD officer killed a kid for pointing a toy gun at him, back when toy guns looked realistic, and that's why toy guns are banned in NYC.

So yeah the police are terrible now, just slightly less so and in different ways than 30-40 years ago. Hell as much as I dislike the NYPD I'm sure as hell a lot fewer cops are on the take today than say in 1985.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'll be watching this one closely as I unfortunately lived many years in that shithole of a state. It's just as backwards and racist as you'd imagine so I'm not sure what the response will be. My gut instinct is "not much" - both in terms of investigation into the incident and response from the citizens.

The cop that said "You shouldn't have loving run" is pretty much going to the societies view of it, he ran so "he deserved what he got." American society is loving disgusting

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Also harder to quantify. I know after 9/11 a bunch of supposed experts on The Islamic Terror got big bucks for giving lectures to cops and feds and stuff--their expertise turned out to be reading Krauthammer articles.

Sounds like a lot of those anti-Satanic cult seminars cops had deal with in the 80s/90s and that was just dudes making poo poo up.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Or the cop convention in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I have not watched nor read Fear and Loathing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Arizona police cruiser sends gun-wielding suspect flying, skip to about 1:55 if you just want to see the impact. This page has an interview where the police chief defends the action saying not to "Monday morning quarterback" them, lol.

Oh my sweet Jesus loving Christ thats, gently caress I don't even know what to say about that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So Bill deBlasio has decided against hiring a thousand more cops for the NYPD and instead wants to focus his budget on Social services. Of course moat of the news papers are acting like he's stabbing the NYPD in the back and one paper's headline is calling this him turning his backs on the police.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/587596/judge-wont-seal-photo-cpd-cops-posing-african-american-man-antlers

Chicago police pose with black man wearing antlers as if he was a hunting trophy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So here in New York City the Cops and the Media are yet again trying to hype everyone about the return of the "bad old days," today by hyping about how felony assaults on the Subway are up 27%. What you find out when you open the paper and get to the page the story is on it turns out that these crimes are up from something like the low 70s last year to 99 people this year, so less than a hundred people have been attacked on the Subway in the city of 8 million people and we're all suppose to act like it's going to be 1982 all over again cause of our Democrat mayor.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the most infuriating thing is that there is almost no counter narrative to this. It's weird that so many people consider NYC to be a liberal town when the first Democratic mayor in a while has been nothing but vilified in the media from the the moment he took office (and mostly because he dared question police behavior.) And a ton of people I know for a fact are Democrats do nothing but share and help propagate these stories and opinions. Seriously, I have heard "worst mayor ever" from as many democrats as republicans at this point. But then again, the NY Post remains extremely popular here.

I think it has more to do with that he has a mixed race family. The things I've heard people call his wife , shockingly bigoted doesn't even cover it, and living on Staten Island I hear it a lot. I'm baffled by people that call DeBlasio out of touch when we had 12 plus years of a billionaire who's idea for affordable housing for people trying to start their lives were long prison cells. Like I saw this a lot when DeBlasio was talking about how much the MTA sucks and a lot of people told him to suck it up cause that's how it is and I was stunned cause I just know the same people saying that bitch about the MTA whenever the train is crowded or the bus is late (if it shows up at all). I feel like people are determined to make him into a modern day Dinkins regardless of how well he governs or not.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So how about that previous question. If an officer is alone but has a bodycam recording and murders someone, the bodycam is effectively inadmissable absent another witness? The officer could literally be caught with a smoking gun standing over a dead body, and you're saying the appropriate legal response is just to shrug your shoulders?

Isn't that what we do already with killer cops anyway?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Onion plays it straight yet again.

[url]http://www.theonion.com/article/ticketed-motorist-pointing-finger-just-green-light-50913utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default[\url]

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Fixed URL.

Thanks, posting from my phone.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

captainblastum posted:

Every aspect of American society is racist. When you account for socio-economic status, it is still racist. Poverty alone does not explain the significantly disproportionate experiences that people of different races have at every level of our judicial system.

Edit:

Also for fun, here's a cop in GiP "joking" about paying another GiP cop to murder D&D posters:

Christ almighty am I not comfortable with authority figures "joking" like this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So something I saw on NY1 (a local 24 hour cable channel on Time Warner for NYC) last night was just more proof that the NYPD is the greatest enemy to the city of New York there is. The Sergeant Benevolent Association is encouraging all of its members to post pictures of homeless people in the city on a page on their website about the "decline" of a great city. They of course claim this isn't political and that the cops are the last city workers without a contract had nothing to do with it. Much like how back in May the police and local media were hyping a massive crime wave until Mayor DeBlasio agreed to hire a few thousand more cops and the next day the police pretty much admitted they had been over hyping it.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't sine kind of NYC or State megathread considering how almost shamelessly corrupt politics is in New York there's always something happening.

And to touch on Blue Lives Matter, I live on Staten Island and it's pretty much Just World Fallacy the geographical location. It seems like every one that lives here is either a cop, related to someone who is a cop or have friends that are cops so criticizing the police for anything is non starter. This is the place that sent Michael loving Grimm to Congress and than rewarded the DA who let the cop who killed Eric Garner walk. Which it turns it a buddy of mine lives near where that cops parents live and for the last year and up until this post and probably beyond they've had 24/7 police protection outside. Which I thought was absurd to begin with, but at this point after it I think it's even more so. But in summary Staten Island is a horrid loving place living here sometimes feels like living in a red state thank god the rat of the city is a boat ride away.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Because it totally is that kind of name. This place is the worst.

Some good news it looks like the CCRB is actually gaining some teeth do to the sheer amount of video that is out there now and isn't collected by the police as evidence than disappeared

https://news.vice.com/article/people-are-filming-the-nypd-and-its-making-it-easier-to-investigate-misconduct?utm_source=vicenewsfb

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, cool system. I'm sure it works great.

It's a start that better than nothing.

FAUXTON posted:

Staten Island? Or Manhattan? Or NYC at large?

Staten Island is the worst part of this whole goddamn city. Filled near to the brim with over privileged reactionary racist assholes, where just about everyone is either a cop. the friend of a cop or the family member of a cop. So god forbid you offer criticism of police behaviors without them jumping down your throat accusing you of hating cops and wanting their family/friends to die. It's like living in the worst parts of this thread only every day.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

At what point do we admit we've become that papers please Red Scare nightmare when we talk about being scared of what the police may do for slightly annoying them for exercising your rights.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but to not be stupid about budgets might mean raising taxes, and as we all know taxes are Communism!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So a Black NYPD officer has just charged the Highway division of the the NYPD with being racist.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/black-nypd-highway-blows-whistle-racism-article-1.2359060?cid=bitly

Choice bits from the article

quote:

"In May of 2015 I came in with 82 summonses, which is well above the quota of 70 per month...After that I was not allowed to use an unmarked (car) to get me to stop being successful and to get me transferred out of highway," he charges in the complaint.

* Harge was told that he would no longer be assigned to post S304 in south Queens because it has a predominately black population.

There are only two black cops in Highway 3[a section in Queens], according to the complaint, and citywide the Highway Unit is only 4% black.

I really love (wait no whats the opposite of that, hate, yes hate) that they no longer assigned this guy to a predominately black part of Queens, what did they think he was going to go easy on them?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah wouldn't it only be a conflict of interest of he was handling cases he or his office had done?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Shoot the guy on the right for ruining an SKS.

I'm curious what did he do to it?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

He took a neat, inexpensive wood-stocked surplus carbine and covered it in crappy plastic and modified it to use detachable magazines that probably don't even work right. He probably spent more money than the gun is worth turning a Soviet rear echelon rifle into something "tactical".

So this guy is an idiot dork is what you're saying, as if it wasn't obvious by the picture already

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 15, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Radbot posted:

Once you enter US territory, shooting to disable no longer works, for some reason (even though Euro cops do it all the time).

Maybe it's something like ray shield the Nazis had that would mind control superman if he tried to stop Hitler, only you know makes US cops worse shots

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Coming to your local population 200 township SWAT team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX4XXLb_Vuw

So this whole thing is to shoot down drones that record police abuse at protests isn't it?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Whelp a Cop was killed in East Harlem tonight http://abc7.com/news/nypd-officer-dies-after-being-shot-in-head-in-manhattan/1043370/ I look forward to the next few days of the NYPD blaming Mayor DeBlasio and the BLM for this. Meanwhile I'm just going to chug rum for a week to deal with how awful facebook is about it get.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

http://www.avclub.com/article/ny-cops-call-boycott-tarantino-films-after-he-prot-227465

The NYPD got their feelings hurt that in sure their favorite director doesn't like the idea that they get away with killing innocent people all the time

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So while we worry about the police and their right to privacy various police departments like the NYPD have been driving around in X-ray vans spying on everyone they go past and tapping phones at every chance they get. Privacy for the police, none for the citizens.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The only time that comes into effect is when a police officer enters a private residence since the days you have no expectation of privacy any where else. Also again they police are already massively violating people's right to privacy right now.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Police officers just need to accept that they chose a difficult and dangerous job and stop meeting resistance with overwhelming force in the name of :qq: I Just Want To Make It Home.

Your job is about peace preservation and deescalation--but that's gone completely out the window.

Was it ever in the window to begin with considering how hosed up the police are they were much more corrupt not that long ago

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

There's a pretty clear reason why Tamir Rice hasn't been honored with his murderer being brought to justice while the two cops who murdered the kid in Louisiana were brought in and charged before the victim's funeral had even taken place:

Tamir Rice:

Officer Loehmann, who murdered Tamir Rice:

Jeremy Mardis:

Officers Greenhouse and Stafford, who murdered Jeremy Mardis:

Thus makes a lot of sense sadly

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Another expert had decided that the murder of Tamir Rice was justified.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...dium=SocialFlow

I honestly can't comprehend it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

How many deaths exactly like Michael Brown or Freddie Gray occurred in the 60s and 70s and were just never questioned, or were questioned locally but never had the Internet to turn them into an international phenomenon?

If reading Nixonland has taught me anything, it's a poo poo ton of cases, but even than people knew it was bullshit but white supremacy won time and time again against people trying to report on it. And that these people have been using the exact same defense to cover for police abuse since than. Even down to making murders into Right Wing hero's and wealthy with donations like Lt. William Calley who massacred civilians at Mai Lai

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

g0del posted:

You have an interesting definition of 'suburb'. San Jose was full of libertarian tech types way before the current wave of startups decided that SF was the cool place to live. And if you believe my mother, it's currently undergoing a crime wave because the SJPD no longer tries to stop burglaries. This news isn't going to help me convince her otherwise.

Does she explain why the police are no longer stopping burglaries?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

g0del posted:

I don't know. She can simultaneously talk about how police are wonderful, heroic people and the only state employees who deserve their pensions, and then decry them for not doing their jobs and letting her neighbourhood (full of small homes valued at over $1M because Silicon Valley real estate is insane) get overrun with criminals. I generally just change the subject and ask how her garden is doing.

Oh okay, I figured this had to have something to with that they're afraid of doing their jobs because of BLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress. i could see tackling him, maybe taser if he actively resisted. but this pig gently caress straight up murdered this guy and its taken a loving year to prosecute him.

Well this whole thing is why they're supposed to have tasers in the first place to stun someone with a knife so they can be arrested. Or course the police just like to use it as a compliance weapon

• Locked thread