Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

There is absolutely no chance more people will care about any drat high school team than any professional team lol

Outside of Texas at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tank44 posted:

Re: Rams fans, I try to talk up Rams fans at Seahawks games. I lived in STL for a bit, but almost all the Rams fans I see are from SoCal. I'd bet more people in SoCal are still Rams fans than there are rams fans in Missouri.

Some do exist but they walk around wearing Cardinals gear. Or occasionally Blues stuff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hallik posted:

There's a rumor Mark Davis is willing to jump over to the NFC to move to LA. If there's any truth to that, it's a terrible idea.

It's an awful idea. But we're talking about Mark Davis here so I could see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Glumslinger posted:

So AEG, who wants to build the stadium in downtown LA, commissioned a report about how the Inglewood stadium would be a likely site for a terrorist attack.

:psyduck:

There's nothing you can say that will make me dislike AEG any more than I already do, stop trying :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

pssssh california and its nonweather. Midwest is where its at, one week it snows and the next its in the 60's(fahrenheit) :smugdog:

There are those two weeks every year where things are perfect.

Then you start thinking about how to act like seasons are a good thing on the internet in hopes of drawing other people in so they can share your pain.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

Could someone clarify what the hell is actually happening because it seems like every week there's a different group making another announcement to build *something* in a different place for a different team. Like what has actually been verified?

As far as I know Stan Kroenke is the only owner who's actually spent his own money working on an LA stadium, so it seems like the Rams are as good as gone. His stadium plan is set up for two teams to share the stadium, although that might just be because he really wants to move and knows the NFL would theoretically like two teams in LA.

e: Words are hard

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 5, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oakland had a decent little plan that completely ignored the A's, I don't know why they even put it together.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

hahahaha. This probation is ridiculous.

I'm ok with this last one. Also no offense but I'd agree that we should trade you for wheez being alive, although I'd trade me and most of the forum for wheez too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

the biggest tragedy of the Chargers moving would be the inability to use this anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naB5_32y1UQ

And if the Rams move they could bring this back, everyone wins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TubeStank posted:

also who gives a poo poo? the owners aren't going to pay for the entire thing and there are cities all over the US chomping at the bit for a pro sports team. is it ideal? nope. is every rear end in a top hat posting these videos the people who haven't had their team threaten to move? pretty much!

My teams vaguely threatened to move over renovations and the city built an arena with no permanent team (and almost certainly won't ever get one). I pretty much agree with all of that stuff :shrug:

e: I worded this terribly, I meant I agree with the dumb video. I don't agree with building arenas and never getting a team or patching up 40 year old stadiums when the problem is just going to come up again in a few years, although that might be preferable to building completely new stadiums and closing even more schools or whatever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 17, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The usage conversation made me look up what KC's stadiums are doing. Kauffman pretty much just has the Royals, Arrowhead has the American Royal BBQ contest and Mizzou/BYU through the end of the year aside from whatever Chiefs games.

The Sprint Center which doesn't even have a team to play there is booked pretty solidly for the next two months. With a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in, but it does seem to be hosting events fairly often.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

I'd wager STL does not follow this rule. Even during the Greatest Show on Turf years, it was kinda like "This is nice, but when does baseball start back up?"

They'd need something more than decent to pull numbers.

I don't know how the attendance was, but I happened to go to college in the middle of Missouri during the one period of time ever that St Louis football was a big deal. I'll just say it made me hate the Rams to this day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'd assume he's talking about Rivers being against gay marriage.

Or the ridiculous guaranteed money there.

Or the fact that San Diego isn't allowed to win the Super Bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JRizzle posted:

Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt were pretty good too, I guess?

At that point of their careers sure. gently caress Isaac Bruce for religiously making GBS threads on Derrick Thomas though.

It's weird to think now but it's pretty amazing New England was able to win that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JRizzle posted:

Wait, what?

He got in a wreck around the same time Derrick did and claimed he threw his hands in the air and yelled Jesus Christ and that's why he was fine. He imagined DT didn't do that and that's why he was paralyzed and is now dead.

quote:

"Do you ever think about Thomas and say, 'That could be me?' " Reilly asked. Bruce said no, arguing that unlike Thomas, he had invoked Jesus' name as the car flipped.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tank44 posted:

Wonder if it'll be something where Kroenke ends up owning the Raiders in LA and Budweiser (or other MO company) buys the Rams and keeps them in St Louis.

Budweiser doesn't own itself anymore. It would have to be...ummm...hmm. Harley Race's Wrestling Academy?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zen death robot posted:

It's kind of interesting that Kroenke went so far as to say that nearly every city in the US is better suited for an NFL team than St Louis. I don't know if that'll effect the eventual vote at all but that's a hell of a thing to essentially pitch to that a city is poisonous to the league.

Call his bluff and move the Rams to Little Rock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So is there any plan at all as to where they're going to play before the stadium is built?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Oh, he's actually named Enos Stan Kroenke, I was trying to figure out who the other STL sports guy he was supposedly named after was.

Of course they're both Cardinals.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

I know, what the gently caress.

The Q is goddamn 50.

Arrowhead's 43 years old, it's still a pretty awesome stadium after the renovations but it wouldn't surprise me if Clark Hunt started complaining about it again around 2020 or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Did the Royals ever play there? Qualcomm and O.Co were both designed as multi-sport stadiums, so maybe that's why they've aged so much compared to Arrowhead

No, Royals Stadium (Kauffman now) and Arrowhead were built at the same time, the Sports Complex was a two stadium plan from the start. So yeah that could absolutely be part of it.

e: Holy poo poo somehow I never knew this, you'd think I'd have heard old people cursing this guy's name:

quote:

In 1967, voters in Jackson County, Missouri approved the bonds for Truman Sports Complex, which featured a football stadium for the Kansas City Chiefs and a baseball stadium for the Kansas City Athletics, whose owner, Charles O. Finley, had just signed a new lease to remain in Kansas City. This was a very unusual proposal; conventional wisdom at the time held that separate football and baseball stadiums were not commercially viable. Before the 1968 season, however, Finley moved the A's to Oakland, California, and their brand-new multi-purpose stadium.

Mother fucker was having a brand new stadium built just for him and he moved anyway.

That's worse than Kroenke, Jesus.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 13, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/hochman/status/687096079779643392

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Someone explain to me why you can renovate the Superdome but renovating in Atlanta or St. Louis is impossible and instead requires a billion dollar replacement monstrosity. Thanks.

It's possible there's something physical about the stadium that makes renovation impossible, but it's more likely the owner is just more greedy. And doesn't have the huge negative PR of trying to move after a disaster like Katrina in New Orlean's case, Benson was absolutely looking to move for a while there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Homestar Runner posted:

what is the most loseriest active franchise, is it the Browns?

Historically Cardinals in the NFL, even though they're good now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

old dog child posted:

That's pretty much it

Nah, the DL as a unit is pretty legit, although Nick Fairley apparently disappointed.

The Rams are perpetually "oh poo poo they should be really good next year if x happens", then whatever it is that should happen never does. They have no QB which is the biggest problem, they do have Jeff Fisher which is probably the second biggest problem.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Keyser S0ze posted:

the 70-2000 Rams uniforms are fine as a 3rd but way too obnoxious to see every week, they should stick with the gold/navy. If they do go back to bright yellow at least go with a darker blue.

I pretty much universally prefer the uniforms everyone had in the 80s/early 90s. Sure the Broncos looked kinda silly but their new stuff looks worse to me, creamsicles has a lot of haters but damned if I don't prefer that to now or the pewter ones. Philly needs to go back to kelly green like right the gently caress now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

i'm re-newing my season tickets tomorrow oh god help me

You poor sorry bastard.

I think this is just Spanos trying to keep people coming to games in a lame duck year. "No really we want to stay!" Hopefully I'm wrong.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Craptacular! posted:

What is the smallest NFL stadium right now?

O.Co is 56k, looks like the newer stadiums are either going real big (80k plus) or being built around 65k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Agreed. Not sure about a dome tho.

Vegas just about needs one I'd think, it gets close to as bad as Phoenix there.

FCKGW posted:

The tax would be on tourists so the locals don't care.

And Las Vegas isn't going to run out of those anytime soon I'd imagine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The average high in Vegas is 94 in September, so it probably gets up over 100 now and then.

For comparison Miami, Tampa and Dallas all average 89. Phoenix has a roof now but averages 100 in September.

What I get out of this is people who voluntarily live in Phoenix are insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

That's a temporary stadium while the Kroenkhouse gets built. Using college stadiums in that situation isn't unprecedented.

Did the Bears play at Illinois stadium while Soldier Field was getting renovations or am I making that up?

I guess looking it up it isn't that crazy, Memorial Stadium held about 70k back then, which is a lot bigger than I was thinking it would be. I'm sure it wasn't particularly nice, but it was big enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

The worst part about that is a grown rear end man drinking a long island iced tea

You'd prefer a child drinking one?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

Do people who know more about this kinda poo poo have answers to these questions, seeing the loving tunnel disaster in Seattle has made me a lot more curious about what happens with cost overruns in public financing issues.

This is by no means complete but I found this for you. The teams have been at least partially responsible for overruns in the past, which makes me think they have probably started to write protections for that into building contracts. It also doesn't mention where the millions of dollars difference between overruns and payments in the last column is made up.

So yeah that doesn't help much at all really.

e: poo poo someone with more search savvy than I have find the second part of this article.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

To get back to the topic, who exactly is Las Vegas competing with for the Raiders? Oakland is offering no public funding (thankfully) so is there anyone else out there that's willing to pay to move the Raiders?

I don't know if it ever got anywhere near talking funding but San Antonio was courting them early on. Also they can always go be Kroenke's sidekick little brother in LA and make Stan more money.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The traditional soccer field food is a pie like this. Steak and gravy. loving amazing when it's cold outside because it doubles as a handwarmer while you're eating it.

That's a good start. Double the size and quadruple whatever the price is and we might be talking NFL food.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

Well good news and bad. You probably won't be allowed into the Coliseum.

But I can direct you to any number of public sewers or water filtration plants.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Assuming this goes through where do the Raiders play while the stadium is being built? Sam Boyd (UNLV's stadium) doesn't seem like it would work even as a temporary NFL stadium.

Do they just play in front of a bunch of angry fans in Oakland?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I don't see why the senate wouldn't revote it (I'm unclear why it needs to go back there), but it seems like it's basically a done deal.

I'd imagine 'passed with amendments' is why it needs to go back. Did anyone say what the amendments were?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

i voted Yes On C today

What do the polls say, is there any chance at all of it passing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Seriously, no Sinatra?

• Locked thread