Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walmart had the S2 for $250 so I decided to get the wife one for her birthday. I’m not sure she will really use it all that much but she was complaining that she didn’t have an Apple Watch.

She’s terrible about remembering to charge her phone so I’m not expecting much.

It’s a great price for the S2 though I can’t expect it will go much lower before they are all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, Best Buy had a pretty great S2 sale last last week, $229 for the 38mm and $249 for the 42.

I’d keep my eyes open for S2 deals until they finally run out of them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, thanks dudes. I'll keep my eye out for a deal and won't splurge on one on the way home from work today.

Jerks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do bands ever go on sale?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Like the official ones? Maybe 3rd party sites that sell them may put them on sale but I don't think apple it self one ever does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any chance there will be a decent deal on the S3 LTE ver for Black Friday? I haven't tracked the watches on past BFs.

I know Apple usually has lame sales, like a $15 gift card or whatever. Kohl's has some bomb-rear end deals for Kohl's Cash, but it's only for the GPS version, unfortunately. Anywhere I should keep looking? Or is there very little chance of seeing a good deal on a S3 LTE?

Carriers might do a deal with that, if I remember right you have ATT, so keep an eye on their promos as well. Sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re terrible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Only time I’ve heard of it is when retailers were clearing out their own in store inventory, like I don’t think the prices were online and it varied by store.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anybody tried asking Watch Siri any question about the weather lately?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

My S2 on 4.1 immediately reboots after any question with the word “weather,” and there’s a whole thread on reddit with the same complaint.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

eddiewalker posted:

My S2 on 4.1 immediately reboots after any question with the word “weather,” and there’s a whole thread on reddit with the same complaint.

Mine just did that.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hahahhaha. I just tried it and it crashed my watch too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eddiewalker posted:

How did this make it through?:lol:

Still doesn’t beat that calculator bug on earlier versions of iOS 11 that gave you wrong answers if you entered calculations in too quickly.:lol::lol::lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How did this make it through?:lol:

Still doesn’t beat that calculator bug on earlier versions of iOS 11 that gave you wrong answers if you entered calculations in too quickly.:lol::lol::lol:

It's not like it was calculating poo poo wrong, it just wouldn't accept any input until the animation was complete.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Calculator is still broken in 11.1

1+2+3=24

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
it's fixed in 11.2

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bum the Sad posted:

Calculator is still broken in 11.1

1+2+3=24

What the gently caress, Apple.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SeANMcBAY posted:

What the gently caress, Apple.

It's not registering the second plus. 1+23=24

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol Mine crashed too. Good work Apple!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Heh, same here. watchOS 4 (15R372)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

Does anyone know why the sunrise / sunset time doesn't work since I upgraded to watchOS 4? I restarted my watch and Apple Watch Faces can use Location Services in my phone's settings.

FYI the only thing that fixed this was upgrading to watchOS 4.1.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Anyone run into an issue with their watch not showing third party complications? I just had to unpair/repair with a new phone and now I can’t add my Strava or Wunderground complications; they don’t appear in the list. Both apps are installed tho. S3 and iPhone X.

Edit: well it seems to have just magically fixed itself.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 5, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah. The workout detection seems wonky too - twice a week I take a 3 mike hike in the woods with my wife and dogs, and sometimes the watch only counts 15 minutes of the 90 minute walk as exercise. Same with using the treadmill at home, it’s usually just behind the treadmill itself on the distance counter, but it records anywhere from 50-100% of it on the ring.

Oddly, the “other” workout setting seems to count pretty much 100% no matter what I’m doing.

I’m just ignoring the ring for that and going by what the workout app says I did.

You can force the ring to treat the hike as excersize by setting an 'open goal' outdoor walk workout as you leave. The watch will treat whatever you do as excersize for the hike. I know this because I have to set it to recognize that a bike ride is a bike ride and sometimes I forget and suddenly the watch is super proud of me for doing 90 minutes of exercise when what actually happened is I rode for 20 minutes and then wandered around a grocery store for 70.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm guessing that due to the posts about the Now Playing app earlier in the thread there is no way to get it without turning off the pop-up face?

Also is there something to replace the twitter app? It sucked quite a bit but once in a while I'd attempt to scroll through my timeline and I wouldn't mind something like that which was just mindless, mostly pointless text.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rick posted:

I'm guessing that due to the posts about the Now Playing app earlier in the thread there is no way to get it without turning off the pop-up face?
I keep it in the Dock so pretty sure you can pin it in there, and if it's like before it should automatically be there when you have some media playing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed that the 5th ave Apple store has Editions in stock, and I’m heading to NYC today for work, so... :signings:

Any suggestions on bands for the grey ceramic?

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Jealous Cow posted:

I noticed that the 5th ave Apple store has Editions in stock, and I’m heading to NYC today for work, so... :signings:

Any suggestions on bands for the grey ceramic?

All the Sport bands and Woven Nylon look great with either the grey or regular ceramic. For something fancier, try the Space Black Milanese Loop.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's better for getting all sweaty, the sport band or loop? I do like the loop look a bit better for everyday wear.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sport band is good for exercise but if you're using it for long runs it can irritate the skin a bit. It needs to be washed after exercise

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It needs to be washed after exercise
Yeah. That's what I have been doing. I got a spray bottle of isopropyl I use on a cloth to wipe down the back of the band after the gym.

Really debating what I want for my next band. Milanese or a nice leather band.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So I use to check my headphone battery percentage with my watch battery icon thing. Even though the headphones are paired to my phone, not the watch. Anyway, that just stopped showing up. It only shows the watch battery now. I can't tell if it's WatchOS 4.1 or the iPhone X causing it. Any ideas?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Whenever I have that problem a reboot fixes it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ManSedan posted:

Whenever I have that problem a reboot fixes it.

Rebooted all three devices, still the same. Damnit. It's the main place I check the battery life.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Happy to confirm that the Apple Watch will notify you of your elevated heart rate during a panic attack.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok people, I’m now allowed to buy the Apple Watch series 3. The question is simple: do I Buy now, or wait to see if there is a Black Friday deal?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Might as well wait since it’s not too far away. I think we’re more likely to see crazy deals on series 1 and 2 watches though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok people, I’m now allowed to buy the Apple Watch series 3. The question is simple: do I Buy now, or wait to see if there is a Black Friday deal?

Yeah maybe you might save $50 at the most. I'm betting we will see the series 2 for $199 though which is a steal IMO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah maybe you might save $50 at the most. I'm betting we will see the series 2 for $199 though which is a steal IMO.

Sounds right. I’m upgrading from the series 2, so I won’t benefit from the series 2 discounts.

Basically, I’m either buying from Apple or Verizon. Apple normally offers a gift card for purchases on their stuff for Black Friday, and I’m not sure if Verizon will offer a promo or not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Target's ad shows no discount on S3 http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/Target/9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it does doesn’t it? Or is 329 the normal price?

• Locked thread