Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So no one's actually buying this poo poo, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Who the gently caress showers with a watch on anyway?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What I want to know, is how the ever-living gently caress they actually let the Apple Watch Edition edition name fly. How many people actually had to approve that name before it was official?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'll buy a smart watch when you pry my Omega Speedmaster off my cold dead wrist. Mechanical watches satisfy my inner-nerd so much more than a watch where I can send my heartbeat to someone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel like a Garmin would suit some of you so much better than an Apple Watch. Especially if you aren't going to bring a phone with you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gohmak posted:

You're joking right?

:lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where's the 4000px :psyboom: when you need it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

io_burn posted:

When I preordered mine I preordered a bunch of 'em across multiple Apple ID's to be sure I'd get a launch day watch but I wasn't sure which one actually wanted to keep. My strategy was to just have like near-midnight preorders for everything I thought I might like, book a try-on appointment as soon as I could, figure out which I wanted then just cancel the rest. Surprisingly enough, the try-on appointments really were very open at my Apple Store, so I was able to go up there first thing, figure I liked the 42mm link bracelet the best, and then just cancelled all my other Apple Watches when I got back home.

I basically threw thousands of dollars in the trash doing that. :(

I mean I knew the Apple Watch would be hot but I don't think anyone saw this insanity coming, ever.

This is just about the most ridiculous thing I've read in this thread.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Who cares and shut up.

Anyone else having issues with siri not understanding what you're saying?

For like 4 years now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Never owned a smart watch before, so I have a couple questions. I'm considering the LTE version for my fiancee. She is a runner (just got accepted to Boston 2018 yesterday actually :)). She runs in the dark at 5am multiple times a week and brings her phone with her so I can Find My Friends her just to make sure she's not dead in a ditch somewhere. She wears a Garmin to track the runs.

- I assume I could Find My Friends her watch if I got her the LTE version? Do we know anything about that yet?
- For the GPS in the S2 or whatever, how accurate is it compared to a Garmin? Do most people use RunKeeper/Strava? Or does Apple have a built-in tracker?

I'm trying to mash 2 devices into 1 small one since she hates carrying her phone or wearing it in a belt.

Also, what's the difference between the "regular" Apple Watches and the Nike one? Is it just extra faces or whatever, or are there actual, meaningful differences?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 18, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Strava uploads all the data into activity though?

Yeah if you use Strava on an iPhone, it sticks the data in the Health app. I would assume it would work the same way on the watch?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Braincloud posted:

As a runner/cyclist who also hates carrying his phone or wearing it in a belt, I picked up the LTE version so I could ditch that phone at home. I doubt I'll make a lot of calls/texts, but it is nice to have. I've been lugging my phone around since my Fitbit fell apart last year.

For your "keeping tabs on location" needs, there are actually a couple apps that do this. Glympse has a Watch integration and is a real-time location sharing (your GF would have to share her location with you). Strava also has a track my location feature if you pay for Premium. I haven't played around with it at all since I don't have Premium, but that could be an option as well. Of course, I think you have to have LTE for those to work w/o your phone.

Yeah we've used Glimpse before, but it's kind of annoying since she has to set it up every time she runs. I like Find my Friends since I can just pull it open and see where all our devices are on demand.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For those of you with S2, how long does the battery last while the GPS is active? I assume GPS wrecks the battery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

5 hours of active GPS on both series 2 and 3. 4 hours of GPS+LTE for the S3. LTE calling if the biggest offender on the S3 with just 1 hour of call time.

Gross.

When you say GPS+LTE, do you mean just by having LTE, or using it with the GPS (streaming music or whatever)?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm guessing it's partially the Wifi issue, but also the lovely battery life, which is a huge bummer, honestly. I was debating getting an LTE version, but if it dies at 4 hours using GPS and just having LTE on, then no thanks.

It's pretty funny some reviewers are making a big deal about not having a signal on the ocean. Well no poo poo!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Run a marathon and tell me if it lasts the whole race with LTE enabled. Tia.

Also, I assume it shows up in Find my Friends?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

S0 barely lasts a marathon with the workout app. But what in the world would you need LTE for during a marathon anyway? Time to catch up on those important calls?

So I can track the person I'm buying it for while they run and meet up with them afterward.

Also these:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Okay so how about wanting to get notifications without hauling your phone along?
Text messages?
How about wanting to track your run and then make a phone call when you're done to decide where to meet.

Again, no stretch of the imagination.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Braincloud posted:

Interesting- the GF didn't have any issues activating her's yesterday.

So yeah, just tested out the battery on my LTE. Left the phone at home and ran for 1:45 with Strava going and playing music I downloaded to the watch. Battery was at 23% after that. I then made a call to the GF for 5 minutes (super handy via Bluetooth headphones) and threw Strava back on as I walked the few miles back home. 45 mins later, watch was at 4%. It died about 10 mins later with nothing running.

So looks like the watch is good for a half marathon but I doubt it'll last a full. I'll have to try again with the LTE off and see what that does.

Edit: oh loving sweet - watch dying equals Strava deleting my unsynched run data. For fucks sake.

Thank you for this data. Looks like the watch alone will not be enough for my fiancées marathon. Thinking of doing her Garmin for the GPS and then also having the LTE watch so I can track her via Find my Friends. Although wearing 2 watches is kinda dopey.

How was the GPS accuracy of the watch? I assume the Garmin does it better since it's a dedicated device, but wondering if the Apple Watch was "good enough."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

This is more of a running thing than a watch thing, but which marathon is it? If it's a large enough one, there might be enough timing mats that you can track her online pretty painlessly. New York does this, for instance.

Boston. The timing mats may suffice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Please don't commit fraud.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol:

No longer considering an LTE version!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Wouldn't something like this be eligible for a class action?

I look forward to getting ATT credit for $0.76 in 2021 if this happens.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kohl's has $70 Kohl's cash available on some models of the series 3 GPS:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10690656-apple-watch-series-3-gps-38mm-329-and-42mm-359-60-70-kohl-s-cash-triple-yes2you-rewards

Good deal if you shop at Kohl's at all. I'm half debating picking up the 42mm one...

e: Nevermind, looks like they are canceling all orders or something.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cross-posting from the YLLS fitness thread...

Any new recommendations on a lifting log tracker?
I've been using Jefit Pro for like 7 years and it's cool. Curious if anything better has come out recently. I've been considering purchasing an Apple Watch, so something that has an AW app would be preferable.

I see Strong and Gymaholic are pretty popular, but anything decent is locked behind a subscription. Jefit seems to give me all these "premium" features already, but it doesn't have AW support.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Strong is well worth the one time $3.

Am I missing something? It looks like Strong is free but has monthly/yearly/life subscription options. I’m looking on my phone because I don’t have an AW yet, but I thought they were the same app?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, that sucks. Suppose I'll stick with Jefit.

Unrelated question, if I get an LTE S3, can I enable/disable the LTE plans via ATT whenever I want? Say I want to use it this month, but cut it off for a couple months. Is that possible?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do corporate FANs apply to the dumb $10 plan?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any chance there will be a decent deal on the S3 LTE ver for Black Friday? I haven't tracked the watches on past BFs.

I know Apple usually has lame sales, like a $15 gift card or whatever. Kohl's has some bomb-rear end deals for Kohl's Cash, but it's only for the GPS version, unfortunately. Anywhere I should keep looking? Or is there very little chance of seeing a good deal on a S3 LTE?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, thanks dudes. I'll keep my eye out for a deal and won't splurge on one on the way home from work today.

Jerks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How did this make it through?:lol:

Still doesn’t beat that calculator bug on earlier versions of iOS 11 that gave you wrong answers if you entered calculations in too quickly.:lol::lol::lol:

It's not like it was calculating poo poo wrong, it just wouldn't accept any input until the animation was complete.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's better for getting all sweaty, the sport band or loop? I do like the loop look a bit better for everyday wear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I love how it lists the S3 as $329. Which is normal price.

To the dude thinking about waiting, I’m in the same boat. I don’t have an AW and am getting the major itch to just fuckin buy one. I haven’t seen a deal on anything but the GPS version so far. I’m wondering if the LTE is going to see any discount at all.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 7, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's only ever for the GPS version though :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The only place I can really see having a discount is the carriers. End of the day, Apple probably doesn’t care that much on the $10 a month, but Verizon and ATT do.

This is actually a pretty good point, unless Apple gets a cut of it.

Also, I only ever see the sport band version on sale, come to think of it. I think I want a sport loop instead.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

enojy posted:

Target will have Apple Watch Series 3 starting at $329.

This is regular price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Caved and picked up an S3 LTE on the way home from work. I figured I have 30 days to return jt if it goes on a BF sale. This thing is light as hell.

• Locked thread