Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'll probably end up with one cause my birthday is in April and "new Apple thing" tends to be my family's default gift if there's one available (so I got iPads for a while when they did early year launches).

I'd get one myself regardless I think, mostly for use in my car. It has one of those integrated units that can't be swapped out and is outdated, so iPhone integration is a bit lacking. I have fancy BT adapter for music (has playlist and car control support) but something in iOS 8 made that a bit annoying to use, in that more often than not I have to start music from the phone itself. Otherwise map address entry on the car's GPS is slow and there's no Siri or message support of course. Basically not much I can't already do now really, but not having to fish my phone out of my pocket for those little things would be nice.

Health stuff is a neat extra but the main reason I'd get it is still the basic stuff above. And of course the promise of third party stuff like start/stop things or two factor auth apps, and god knows how much stupid poo poo people will come up with. (Except a new I Am Rich app, cause the gold watch kinda negates the need for that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Pricing wise for the gold watches my logic is that they're competing for wrist space, and it's not like $5K+ watches are some crazy exclusive space. I could see them going $10K or whatever, but I could see them undercutting too with the understanding of shorter lived tech...but by undercut I still mean like $3-5K cause that keeps them within the low-mid range of nice watch pricing. Go too low and (as stupid as it is) you lose part of the reason of buying an expensive rear end gold watch, it's like taking the H off a Honda! why can't I find a clip of it :argh:

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any idea what the steal stretchy band with the links will go for? That's not an Edition one, right?
That's a uh, "Watch" one (without suffix) I guess? No clue on price since they've only mentioned $349 for the aluminum Sport models. Only thing I've seen is people speculating that the steel one would be around $1000 but nothing on the bands themselves.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hell if I know if they'll be doing it, but one thing they could do is leverage the fact that they'll probably have two motion sensors on you a lot of the time (wrist and pocket) and get a better read on your activity from that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I had both a fitbit and a jawbone and found the fitbit to be much, much more accurate. The jawbone would sometimes register less than half of the correct number of steps.

I rarely keep my phone with me (leave it plugged to the computer) when at work and will frequently walk away from my desk and around my building. My main concern is the functionality of the watch at that point. I'm hoping it will continue to measure steps & other basic things without the phone connection.
Should be fine there cause ultimately that's just using the sensors it has itself. GPS would be nice but in your particular case it's probably not a big deal...unless you have a fancy big rear end building and would like to see a more accurate distance walked or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mikemil828 posted:

I was more talking along the lines of computer sales overall, at the time the tablet market was tiny, saying that Apple owned 95 percent of the market doesn't really mean much when they only needed to sell 3 million units to get to that point (For reference Apple sells around 12-13 million iPads per quarter now), iPad sales only really started getting going around the time the iPad 3 came out which was the first iPad to have, you guessed it, the retina display.
I remember Apple touting it as the fastest selling device ever, and looking it up, it sold 3 million in 80 days. In the first two years it was up to 55 million.

gypsyshred posted:

Ok, here's my plan, tell me if this will work out. I buy the Sport, and tolerate the ugly rear end plastic band until a nice third party product comes out. The Sports body shouldn't feel too cheap, no?
Well it's lighter than the others...I just remember reviewers complaining that the iPhone 5 felt cheaper cause it was so light. I guess it depends if you equate weight to quality.

It is; but, for whatever reason, I think it's going to be harder to flip a watch than a phone, or computer. Those are really the only tech things I buy (both from apple). I don't feel like televisions or game systems come out that fast. Apple didn't even use to come out with a new phone every year.
As long as it still works you should be able to flip it. Unless it bombs completely and no one wants it, but hey on the plus side you won't want to get a new one anyway if that's the case.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its life cycle will be probably be defined by hardware changes demanded by the point of payment industry. I hope some rear end in a top hat white hat waits for just a few months after launch to publish an unpatchable vulnerability.
Humans in call centers :v:

RVProfootballer posted:

Uhh battery, display, size, storage, speed, connectivity, durability, a hardware button that doesn't go back to the days of the iPod click wheel.
The click wheel owned :colbert:

But yeah while I'd expect the usual improvements, the usable lifecycle will probably vary a bunch by user. Like if you primarily use it for notifications then it should be fine for a while without really needing to upgrade (barring battery life not being good enough), while fitness folks could make good use of extra battery life and/or new sensors and what not. And that's where bands come in, even if you don't feel the need to buy a new watch, hey here's this fancy new strap for just a bit more!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bullshit. People are going to swap anyway. Apple just wants you to buy a pre-"designed" configuration and eliminate the choice of buying just a watch body and using your own strap.

I wonder how abdicated Ive feels that nearly everyone covers their iPhone in ugly, cheap, gaudy covers.
The "Made for i" program will morph into a carefully curated collection approved by him and only him.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

And the purpose of glasses frames is to hold corrective lenses up to your face, but this new generation does not pay heed to your pedestrian concepts of usability. Its a far higher priority to make people take notice of you doing something.
Might as well go all out and pull out this thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone bored and likes to read about manufacturing processes:
http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made

And if anyone remembers the whole gold patent hullabaloo, they don't appear to be using that process.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hell I think could help the higher end with younger folks just cause it'd get them 1) used to the idea of putting something on their wrists and give more exposure to other similarly priced wrist watch options out there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pzy posted:

How dare you! Hotline is the O.G. file sharing application. I think Carracho and KDX came after, when Hotline was starting to become poo poo adware (coincidentally when they ported it to Windows!)

There's a pretty entertaining story about Hotline and its code being stolen and encrypted and bad business practices and all sorts of fun Aussie drama. I miss it.
Well Hinks was never put back. But that led him to come up with this beauty!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

I thought of a pretty critical flaw the apple watch (or any smart watch) might pose.

Say you're doing whatever and don't want to fish your phone out of your pocket and just want to take a peek at your watch instead. If you're carrying a cup of coffee or something in your non-watch hand then you pretty much can't do anything on the watch that requires touch input. At least with your phone you can hold and use it with the same hand. The watch may give you quicker access but it requires two handed use in every demonstration so far.

You'll be able to use voice commands to dictate text and look certain things up but using the crown will be impossible unless you have two free hands. Kind of a bummer.
Put the coffee in your watch hand :v:

But yeah it's something I noticed with the Fuel Band I had a while back, which required the button press to even see the time. Voice and the immediate glance stuff is important for that reason.

Saw this and was like wait what

"The Apple watch is a planned obsolescence at around 1 year maximum life.

Simply put, li-ion battery's are limited in the number of charges they can handle. If you only half use it and then charge, that counts as a half charge. Well, Pebble might get charged quite often at small amounts and far less often, but the Apple watch is going to be near completely depleted EVERY day. Couple this with the expected lifespan of a li-ion battery at 300-500 charges, and you find that ONE YEAR later you've pretty much used up the Apple watches battery life! Of course they plan to offer a crazy expensive battery replacement option. But the fact it the design is intended to last only about a year."
Lifespan isn't necessarily complete lifespan. Apple rates iPhones for 80% after 500 cycles, iPads and MacBooks after 1000, and I think considers them "consumed" after a year or past those cycle numbers. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see how much they rate the watch at, I guess lower cause the smaller size?

The Apple Thumb Ring will solve the problem of needing to two hand the watch. It will allow you to navigate your watch with a single curled index finger so you can interface with your phone.
It's actually meant to be worn near the tip of the thumb, so when you use the watch it looks like you're doing the money thing with your fingers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Imagine how he felt when the first iPod came out!

And the first iPhone didn't have MMS, video, or 3G, although the latter would be moot in a prepaid phone considering how much data cost back then. And a bunch of other things other phones had. It just blew them out of the water with the stuff it did have.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shampy posted:

So if you guys were getting this 50% discount would you still get the model you were originally looking at or would you spring for something more expensive?

I really like the stainless steel with black leather band but I feel like the smarter decision is the space grey sport with black band. I've got a little baby that I'm always getting into messes with and constantly washing stuff so I'm thinking it wouldn't be smart to go for leather.

Thoughts?
My current plan is space gray sport w/milanese loop, so $500-550 depending what size I get. If I could get half off I'd consider the space black stainless instead just cause that's the one I really want, but can't justify the big rear end price jump to space black at the regular prices, particularly considering it's a first generation device. But half off, hey I'll go stupid, spend more to save more :downs:

And as far as appointments I've seen sites saying they'll do walk ins with a wait, but I imagine that might be a long wait in the early days.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Axim posted:

I am glad that they are limiting everyone to one per purchase. Should help decrease re-sellers which were a big problem in the past.
On the other hand look at the moral conundrum gohmak is going through cause of it.

Or perhaps this is a situation of "I want this but my wife doesn't approve, but if I surprise her with one too maybe it'll be cool" :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

My understanding is that it opens at midnight PST.

Also I can't be the only person who gets a kick out of stupid unboxing videos. This one has a bonus of being French: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-unboxing-video/
Also there is a link to Mashable's review, notable cause it's from a Pebble user:
http://mashable.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-review/

quote:

I started this review process as a serious skeptic, but not a denier. I wear a smartwatch (the Pebble Steel) almost every day. When I started testing the Apple Watch almost a week ago, I insisted on wearing the Pebble on my left wrist while wearing the new device on my right to compare. However, a few days in, I realized I was no longer glancing at the Pebble.

I finally left the Pebble behind, and I don’t miss it. That's because the Apple Watch is an excellent, elegant, stylish, smart and fundamentally sound device.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Aww, so the only way I can mess with one in store is an appointment? :( Guess I'll have to wait a little bit until I can guarantee I will have appropriate free time. Bummer, was hoping to go down to check it out today + the new clicky trackpads.
There's supposed to be walk ins but who knows how long that'll take.

Are the display table demo units by appointment or just out there like everything else?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

You need an an appointment to get one fitted to you by an employee. There were demo units at my Apple Store that were anchored to tables. You could just walk up to those and play around.
There's walk-ins too, 25 minute wait at my local store when I was there around 1:00.

Amusing thing during my appointment, when I mentioned planning to swap bands the guy pulled out his phone to point out there'll be third party ones too. Wish I remembered the site cause there was a cloth one on there that I might get instead of the sport strap.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

3 posted:

I wear a mesh band on the regular (I also wear a blazer for work on the regular so it's not too out of place) so I was pleasantly surprised that the 38mm SS Milanese hadn't hit June territory yet; I've heard the Milanese described as more "feminine" but in my experience a steel mesh is universally slick, and I have tiny baby wrists anyway. I'm sure there's already at least a dozen third-party NATO straps for when I want to keep it more casual.
:hfive: steel mesh bros

I remember checking out watches years ago and the only one that caught my eye was a Breitling with (black!) mesh which looked awesome and felt really nice. Of course it was something like $12-15K so no way in hell I'd buy one any time soon. I was irrationally excited when Apple first showed it off as part of their bands, then relieved it was announced at $150. And hell, I've been checking out NATO straps recently too, kinda leaning towards those over the sport band right now but I'll wait and see how those actually turn out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The market of people who would buy a product with a neon blue/green/pink band are probably not among the market of people who would early-adopt a first-gen smartwatch. Teenage girls are typically not the type of people who wait in line for new iPhones either (it's all nerds and resellers)
Note that the poll appears to be based on Slice's user base, and hell if I know if they have a representative demographic there. AFAIK their thing is auto package tracking by giving them access to your email...so I guess the people that are willing to do that are all about the gray?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

lol do you not follow iPhone threads a week before release? People literally freak out and call the UPS store if they don't get their device on launch day.
Imagine if we had whole forums dedicated to single products!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1868466
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1867685

gohmak posted:

Have the loving preorders start back in september for the April 24th launch?
Before they start production and have even less data for shipping estimates?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Can we get a running tally of people who have and have not had their order status changed, along with the edition model they ordered and their location?
Sure!

:suicide:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Athletic Footjob posted:

Isn't he that guy that bought a Wii at launch under the pretence it was for a children's charity but he sold it on eBay?
I thought that might've been a copy paste from MacRumors but then I remembered that story, now I'm not sure.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

I'm really divided on color options. Sticking with a Sport, since I'm wary of spending much more on a first-gen product. That said, I don't really care for any of the band colors paired with the silver case, but it seems like it would be a nicer match for any of the pricier bands. Taken in a vacuum, I really like the space grey case with black band, but that case color seems like it would be awkward with, say, a Milanese loop or modern buckle band.

Anyone work through a similar dilemma before preordering?
Kinda, but I was like gently caress it, go Raiders. I ordered stainless black and a Milanese loop. And a white sport band. I'll find out how they all go together in July :v:

BGrifter posted:

I'd be happy with third party bits to make it possible to use all my NATO straps.
I don't have any myself but got interested in some decent looking NATO straps recently. When I thought about buying one and whatever adapter I realized, wouldn't they cover up the heart rate monitor? Or is there some method to wrapping them around without going directly under the watch?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well I was thinking of one instead of a sport strap, but you indirectly made me think of another possible issue in general use. I'm guessing it might also screw with the haptic feedback with the strap acting as a little buffer to dampen the effect. And I guess Apple Pay and anything else that relies on skin contact.

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 23, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Someone mentioned being interested in battery capacity before, iFixit tore down the 38mm and found a 205mah battery:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Teardown/40655

And here's some guys doing a few water tests:
http://youtu.be/zW5CxZioIkk

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

UScr00ge posted:

Is the limited functionality of the Glances screen an OS limitation? I've been messing with Wayforward's Watch Quest which is an idle RPG game almost similar to that VMU game for Skies of Arcadia, but when you go to the games's glances screen is just says "tap here to check your hero" instead of showing his progress and energy and junk. Then you have to wait for the full app to load to actually see or do anything.

Cool game and cool watch though.
Probably a bit of OS limitation and how Wayforward chose to deal with it. As things are right now* the stuff (both apps and glances) is basically running on the phone with the watch doing some limited stuff to display everything (or something like that). They probably wanted the glance to load as quickly as possible vs a slower loading view showing more stuff. Sounds like they basically just chose to use the glance as a quicker/easier launcher than the bunch o apps screen.

*Native apps should be coming later this year, they'll probably be talked about at WWDC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone remembers that post a while back about the watch being designed to last 1 year cause charge cycles, well that guy is wrong too:

quote:

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty (for Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport) and two-year warranty (for Apple Watch Edition) include service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.
And here's some worn out straps:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-watch-straps-expect-discoloration-deformation-of-sport-and-leather-bands-over-time/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gret posted:

Anyone think the taptic notifications are too light and too easy to miss? I have it set to the highest setting yet I'm missing notifications left and right.
Besides the stuff that's been mentioned, maybe you're wearing it too loose or your watch could be defective. I remember one of the early reviewers mentioning he had overly soft feedback, apparently it was a defect and got addressed with a replacement watch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that's all too ghetto for them and the customer experience and doesn't get around the issues for the mail orders. And wastes a lot of money on top of that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I think it drains the phone battery noticeably more, but I couldn't say for sure yet.
Might be some random issue with the watch app:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/27/apple-watch-battery-issues-solutions/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Probably could've guessed before, but "Made for Apple Watch" (for third party stuff) is officially a thing now. So far the page for bands is up:

https://developer.apple.com/watch/bands/

And another for "accessories" (mentioned in the bands PDF) but the URL is 404 right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

io_burn posted:

I'll be curious how the third patty band ecosystem takes off, it already felt inevitable... But I wonder if there's going to be something weird going on with the proper "Made for Apple Watch" licensing sort of like the hoops accessory manufacturers jump through to get the "Made for iPhone" stamp of approval that ends up making everything artificially expensive. Either way, I'm sure everyone who didn't just order a sport band (like yours truly) is going to feel super dumb when the third party market inevitably releases way cheaper and way nicer bands than Apple.
How much does testing cost in the grand scheme of things?

quote:

Exposed edges of bands and lugs must pass UL 1349 tests for sharpness of edges on equipment and BS EN71-1:2014, Safety of Toys - Mechanical and physical properties .

quote:

Bands and lugs should:
pass a 72 hour salt mist test as specified in ASTM B117 with no visible corrosion resist a 5-20 kgf lateral slide-out force when installed in Apple Watch
resist a 20 kgf or greater pull force as specified in ISO-6245:1996, Specifications for Diver's Watches , section 7.3

quote:

Bands for Apple Watch must comply with applicable environmental regulations in the regions in which such bands are to be sold, and any applicable substance or material restrictions, including applicable restrictions on the following substances:
organic tin compounds, PFOS, PFOA, phthalates, azo dyes, and PAHs, per requirements of the EU REACh regulation EC 1907/2006
nickel leach rate on surfaces in prolonged skin contact, per requirements of the EU REACh regulation EC 1907/2006
cadmium, lead, hexavalent chromium, and nickel, per requirements of EU Directive 2009/48/EC natural rubber latex, per requirements of EU Directive EC 93/42/EEC
dimethylfumarate (DMFu), per requirements of EU Regulation 412/2012
pH and Formaldehyde, per requirements of China GB 18401 for textiles and China GB 20400 for leather endangered species of flora and fauna in products or packaging (US Lacey Act)
There's other Apple specific regulations on top of that but that's the official regulatory body stuff. I'd guess a large part of whatever inflation is just added profit beyond whatever certification costs of course.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

My watch came! I don't think it looks too small at 38 mm.

The only thing I don't like is the classic buckle fits my wrist at the fourth hole from the end.
Well if it bugs you enough you can swap in a standard watch strap with those lugs too:

http://youtu.be/G4m0EzQ9ziA

(Probably can at least, I'm not sure how the width of the 38mm lugs compare to normal watch straps)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

The answer is yes and I don't want to talk about it.
But did you send it to someone? Who needs dick pics when you got dick beats.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

"Was that..."
"...yes"
"..."
"..."
"Well now I'm kinda uncomfortable"
"...same"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Factory posted:

No loving way...

That exists already?!
I think I first saw it in this thread a few weeks ago actually.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DJCobol posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot to edit mine. Thanks for the reminder!
I'd be surprised if someone there hasn't make a script to auto update that every 30 seconds based on your Apple ID support profile where it lists all your registered hardware.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

But my original point was not that the Watch UI is unintuitive, I simply mentioned that I read about it being unintuitive. My main gripe, with my limited experience, is that it seemed frustrating to have to go through so many steps to be able to access Glances, which are touted as really quick and easy things to access on the fly. The fact that these can be only accessed from the Watch face, which isn't always just one or two taps away, is all I was bringing up.
Lift/turn arm (to activate watch face) and swipe up?

I'd guess there might be a bit of cognitive disconnect between actual use vs screwing around exploring all the features which might not be a realistic workflow when actually on your arm.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Just as someone who can't wait to see people turn their apple watches into monstrosities.
Well you know where to go:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1876487
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1880037
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1883273
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1882107

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Obviously you gotta get creative with your app layouts and string those unwanted apps out into a poop mosaic off to the side.

• Locked thread