Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So where was the phone while she was running that race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No seriously, how does it track distance and stuff without being tethered to a phone? IF it can do that accurately (using cadence sensors, etc) I would buy one, but I'm not running with my 6+. If it has to be tethered I'll stick to my garmin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

They announced it has GPS at the first show.

Wrong

https://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

Apple Watch uses this sensor, along with an accelerometer and the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone,

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

smackfu posted:

Oof, $50 extra for the man size.

Goddamnit Apple, you should be supporting gender equality, now I'm getting man-taxed. :argh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rabble posted:

Bet the large version has better battery life too.

It better, they just said they want to ship batteries, not air.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HOOOOOLY poo poo $1049 for this hahahahahahahaha

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FROM $10K go gently caress yourself Tim.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really, the Steel one's prices are more laughable than the gold. That's some hilarious poo poo right there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Wait poo poo. Why is there a new ATV? I bought my sister the previous gen for Christmas.
no, but it got a price drop to $69

horse mans posted:

agreed, no one should make expensive things

you couldn't be a bigger shill if you were literally Tim Cook

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Dave posted:

What Apple has done is produce a new patented alloy that contains less gold per volume while retaining the same 3:1 ratio and 18K classification. The other material isn't one of the standard metals used in alloys; it's ceramic, which is less dense. Dr. Drang on Leancrew explains this in more detail (emphasis ours):

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-special-gold-ceramic-alloy-2015-3#ixzz3Tun4fvMe

hahahaha so it's not even solid gold

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was ready to preorder if this thing were reasonably water resistant and had some way of tracking fitness without being tethered to a phone, but it looks like a nope on both counts so I'll check back for gen 2.

New macbook looks fantastic though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

horse mans posted:

i know, it's so shillish for me to expect things made of solid gold to be expensive. that drat reality distortion field

horse mans posted:

um... gold is expensive?? :confused: not sure where the disconnect here. gold is expensive

Yeah, but it's not actual solid gold. It's Apple's "gold" synthesized material. I would agree with you if it were, and as I said, the steel model has the dumbest pricing by far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Charger not included*

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only thing this thing is good for is bankrolling and ironing out the bugs for the 2nd-3rd gen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

Otherwise, smart watches are a total joke "ooh, shiny" fad that will be dead within 3-5 years. In addition, the Pebble Time (and current Pebble watches) are superior to what Apple has to offer. Android watches are competitive and often superior too. Basically, Apple is repackaging Android watches with a shiny coat of paint. I'm sure Apple Watch will sell extremely well and all, of course, since it's an Apple product. That's always the case. But Apple is way behind their competition this time, unlike the original iPad/iPhone, where they were reinventing a very young market sector.

The watch's SDK alone will ensure that it is far, far superior to anything on Android, but I agree with all your other points. I wish the Pebble had more support (it's good, not great), because I think it is the best hardware out there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

Most people are never going to use the 9000 different niche apps on their smart watch, so it's kind of irrelevant beyond tech nerds like everyone posting in this thread. The vast majority of mainstream consumers will use their Apple Watch to reply to texts, check their notifications for sports scores/email/weather/stocks/etc, and maybe use the fitness features if they don't have a Fitbit. That's it for the most part.

A lot of people said the same kinds of things about the iphone before the app store existed, and we all know how much of a game changer that was. The runaway success of the app store alone proves your point invalid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

We already know there are apps. The watch just gives us new ways of using these apps. Some useful (passbook), some pretty impractical (instagram). They still failed, imo, to prove to a skeptic like myself why I should buy an apple watch.

I agree, but to say that "most people won't use apps on it" is pretty ridiculous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Killer Queen posted:

Except the 90 million!!!!! apps boasting is nothing but marketing nonsense effectively, since most iPhone/iPad users never use 99% of the cool apps beyond their latest Facebook games, Netflix, and Tinder. You've just proven my point. It really doesn't matter how supported the app ecosystem is for a given device when that isn't why consumers buy them. If a smart watch reads off your email subject headers and shows notifications for sports and stocks in an intuitive, easy to grasp way, then that's most of what the mass market (your uncle, sister, and dad) wants and needs. It's super cool to have a greater library of apps for tech enthusiasts, but that's not what moves units.

The other focal point of why it's irrelevant is because a smart watch still isn't truly useful. It's an expensive toy. A wide variety of sweet apps isn't as applicable on a watch vs. my iPhone. Why do I need a device on my wrist to do the same things that my phone does and still dies after a day of usage?

You are super out of touch with the average joe because those people don't check stocks or email (most people don't even keep email on their bottom taskbar) with any regularity. Highlighting social media, games, Netflix, etc just goes to show that people do use Apple devices for more than their base functionality (a phone for calling and texting). You'd better believe people will be using these to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook feeds while playing games and stuff too. I'm not saying it's a great device for it, I'm just saying the app store makes it a superior product to the Android counterparts because there are more apps and they are all designed better than the Android counterparts (this is everyone's biggest complaint of the Android phone and tablet apps too).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Let's be honest, the Gold edition is Apple's first party version of this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Actually the watch case is made of a metal matrix composite of which somehow if measured by mass it is 75% gold but if measured by volume it only contains 30% gold, basically Apple's 18kt gold weighs a lot less than what you normally consider 18kt gold. In other words the 10 thousand dollar price tag is definitely not because of the case.

To add to this, if you took other 18kt gold watches to a gold shop they would give you a lot more money for it than for an Edition Apple Watch because it's loving fake gold.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Agronox posted:

I don't know man, I remember five years ago people were saying similar things about the iPad. "What do I need a giant iPhone for, that can't even make calls!" Go back farther and it's "I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPhone, how am I going to type without a keyboard!"

Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt I would think. They're by no means perfect but it's worth seeing how people use the watch a month or two after release before dismissing it.

I agree, they are great at creating devices people don't think they want or need until all of a sudden the whole world has one and can't live without it.

quote:

Personally, I hate running with my phone, wallet, and other garbage so if I can play music, buy poo poo, and track miles without needing the phone on me I'll preorder a Sport.

You have to tether to your phone to do all of those things, unfortunately (and shame on them for conveniently leaving that out today and hiding it in the small text on the store page). That's where the watch falls flat, and it's going to be confusing to consumers because of it. It SHOULD be a stand alone device, but it's an ACCESSORY TO YOUR PHONE.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Like Apple doesn't have a patent on the attachment mechanism, this will be shut down in no time, maybe, maybe in a bit there will be a Made for Apple Watch program.

Yeah, just like no third party cases are allowed right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why the gently caress isn't the sport model waterproof? That's just poor design.

Speaking of, the 2nd gen Apple Watch will probably have these features:

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Same battery life (good enough*)
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

We're you going to go deep sea diving with it on? It's water resistant in the same capacity that most all watches are. Unless you're completely submerging the unit in water for extended periods of time you won't have any issues.

Yes, I am a triathlete so if one of it's big selling points is its fitness features and it can't even be used in the pool or without being tethered to a phone it's worthless to me. I'm saying my ideal device would have those features, and I'm sure the later generations will. It is still really dumb that the Sport model is not fully waterproof like other "sport" watches (my Garmin, for instance).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

keyframe posted:

This. I was on board with this hoping to use it as a heart rate monitor as I swim but it is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on an elbow. Also I never got a clear answer anywhere if this can be used without the phone during sports which would be the entire point of a sports watch or do they expect people to carry their iphones with them in their back pocket as they do sports?

It can't be used without the phone for fitness tracking that requires GPS, etc. It says so on the site;

quote:

Apple Watch uses this sensor, along with an accelerometer and the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone,

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

. I don't feel like televisions or game systems come out that fast. Apple didn't even use to come out with a new phone every year.

What?

1st gen: June 29, 2007
3G: July 11, 2008
3GS: June 19, 2009
4: June 24, 2010
4S: October 14, 2011
5: September 21, 2012
5C, 5S: September 20, 2013
6 / 6 Plus: September 19, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well generally the 1st gen dies off the quickest, so wait for the 2nd which will probably be a much better product and last a lot longer. That's what I'm hoping for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Put an Air and a new Macbook in front of a normal prospective buyer and I'd wager the Air doesn't stand a chance.

100% truth. The benefits far outweigh the cons for the average user.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hm, now I'm really tempted to wait 90 days to see if refurbs show up on the Apple Store at the usual time. I expect return rates to be significantly higher than their other products if only for aesthetic reasons.

I'm interested in this too, just to see what the price difference is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Which is why this will be the first wearable that doesn't suck. Pebble was good, but kind of a halfway their device. The app support and this thing is going to have (along with touch screen, etc) is going to blow everything away. Even Flipboard is supporting it, skimming through news articles on a watch is pretty killer.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I actually don't think this is remotely true, but don't have the data to back it up.

Yeah, the vast majority of ipads were wifi only. 9/10 as of 2012 figures. With hotspots being made a free part of most data plans since then I'm sure that only made the cellular models even less appealing.

https://gigaom.com/2012/03/20/sorry-carriers-9-out-of-10-tablets-sold-are-wi-fi/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

The first version doesn't even support animations -- you have to use an animated GIF or similar if you want to fake animation.

I mean, I guess it remains to be seen what the "reading experience" is like on a watch, but I can't see how the likes of Flipboard or Twitter translate to a watch UI.

The examples you used don't even need the things you're saying it can't do. You don't need anything animated for simple reading and flicking through tweets, pictures, or headlines.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Flipboard makes no sense on a watch. A watch is for quick notifications etc.

Why would you look at your watch to see a news article just to push it to your phone?

I love the idea of just skimming headlines and marking them to read later. That's something I would enjoy doing with the watch. That said, I'm still not sold on the device as a whole though I am seeing more ways I would use it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel like a Garmin would suit some of you so much better than an Apple Watch. Especially if you aren't going to bring a phone with you.

Their new gps watch even has bluetooth built in for notifications. And it's actually waterproof. Makes way more sense for those wanting to use it as an active watch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You shouldn't be typing emails or browsing the Internet on your phone when your laptop is in your bag.

Technology gets smaller and more integrated, and if it's done well then tweets and small pictures ala Instagram will be fine to scroll through on a watch or other interface like glasses, etc. You see a small snippet on your watch, then flip over to your phone to read the full article, reply, etc. Just watch Her to see how seamless it could be. Microcommunications don't require a 1080p, 5.5" screen to consume.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

I won't be buying an Apple Watch, but I freely admit that if this was just the same product with the same features but in a mostly unobtrusive set of eyewear, I would be making GBS threads myself right now.

Honestly I feel like Apple Glasses would be the "holy poo poo" moment with more crazy possibilities for apps. GPS overlay, reminders, heartrate if you're into that, basically a HUD for your life.

Jobs would have given us super future glasses. :(

I like you. We should have a beer sometime.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I know quite a few fatties that say things like "my watch says I burned 500 calories doing Zumba today so I earned this milkshake!" I think it's hilarious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that. Any idea when we'll start seeing reviews pop up from various news media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why do all obese people claim to eat healthy and exercise frequently? I mean, we have eyes, we know you're lying.

• Locked thread