Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
People misspelling my name when it's _right the gently caress there in plain text_. My name is Zack. With a 'K' at the end. It's right there in my Facebook profile - not 'Zachary', just Zack. Yet every few days, some stupid rear end in a top hat types out 'Zach' in a message or post. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tiggum posted:

I'm talking about TV and movies in which being shot makes you instantly dead (or incapacitated) and it has never been shown or implied that a person who has been shot might still have the wherewithal to fire back. It happens a lot. A character will be killing their way through a bunch of bad guys with guns by always firing the first shot and never worrying about being shot at in return until suddenly an important bad guy points a gun at them and instead of doing the thing they've done every other time this happened (ie. shoot first and win) they suddenly stop and it's treated as though they and the enemy are in an inescapable situation now where neither can fire.

I mean I agree that it's a silly trope in action media, but the simple reason it's a thing is that it allows for expositional dialogue, to create tension and to emphasize the catharsis when the good guy finally does shoot the big bad. It wouldn't be nearly as climactic or cinematic if the good guy just treated the big bad like the dozens of henchmen he coldly dispatched to get there.

There are definitely movies that buck this trend though. I'm having a hard time thinking of some strong examples right now but I bet Michael Mann has done it in his ultra-realistic tactical films. I mean even the first John Wick movie kiiinda does this; when John finally confronts the gangster kid who killed his dog and just shoots him in the face before he can get a sentence out.

A pet peeve of mine:

When someone interrupts an anecdote I'm sharing to 'correct' my pronunciation of "gif." I know it's :can: but I absolutely do not care to hear the same "hurr do you think it's jraphics interchange format?" from some mouthbreather who clearly knew what I meant. Newsflash: There is no 'correct' way to pronounce a loving acronym, and you're just being a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

I don't flip out on people over this, it's usually an opportunity to explain that I usually use the J sound because if you're spelling out the acronym the G is pronounced 'jee,' and so it just feels more natural to me when it's all condensed to one syllable. Similarly, the slang term for Suzuki GSX-R sportbikes is 'gixxer' and I've never heard anyone pronounce it anything other than 'jixxer'. It does tick me off though to hear that kind of pedantry over language when it's such a malleable thing. I certainly don't waste my time 'correcting' people who pronounce it the other way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mann did the best of both sides of it in Collateral. Vincent and Max shoot it out at the end. Vincent is hit in a way that’s fatal but not immediately so, and Max is out of bullets because he was just magdumping and got lucky. Vincent could reload but there’s no point in trying to kill Max since he’s about to die anyway+ Max is the closest thing he has to a friend even though they’ve known each other maybe ten hours, so they have the last conversation and then he croaks.

Yeah that's a decent example. I mean the whole movie builds to that moment but it's certainly handled different than the good guy giving a big speech before executing the bad guy, they basically both start shooting the moment they see each other.

Another near-example is Equilibrium; Brandt is built up as being this intimidating adversary to Preston, and when they finally do face off Preston dispatches him entirely unceremoniously with basically a single swordstroke.

I'm actually trying to think of more of these because I know they're out there and it's - paradoxically - an interesting way to create audience catharsis by robbing it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Selling stuff online.

Every time I have to sell something, there are scores of dumbasses asking me for my "best price" for it. Did nobody teach you how to negotiate? I almost appreciate it more when someone makes a lowball offer, because at least it's an offer. Asking for "your best price" is like, you think you can cheat the ad. It makes me wish I could reach through the computer monitor and punch you in the face. I even had a friend do something similar on behalf of someone who couldn't be arsed to message me themselves; I was selling two of something and they were like "can you cut them a deal for buying both?" I was like, "sure, what kind of deal?" "Just a deal since they're buying both." ... I'm not gonna lower the price because you said some magic words; it's already a 'deal', make me an offer and we can proceed, otherwise get hosed.

And when people agree to a price but show up with less. "There's an ATM downstairs, quit wasting my time."

This sort of thing pisses me off so much that I've gone malicious in the past with people who've lowballed and insisted I "won't get more for it" or that they "can get it cheaper somewhere else": When the item finally sold, I made sure to reach out to them about it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

That's the easiest layup for a starter date possible, I don't understand how this is an issue.

We already did basically this in the tweets thread, though, so let's not.

Hahaha we sure did, that was fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

yeah, tautologies only work when they work.

The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Riatsala posted:

I'm not reading any more reviews or descriptions of any media that use the phrase "It's like _____ meets _____". It's hack, it's unhelpful, and it's no better than when the most annoying people you knew were describing anything more exciting than a saltine cracker as _______ BUT ON CRACK

There was a documentary years ago, Bigger Stronger Faster I think, that pointed out the prevalence of the '___ ON STEROIDS' advertising, by flipping it exactly like you said and showing how absurd it'd be to describe a product as '___ ON COCAINE'.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I am just barely old enough to have had an Erector set as a kid. I think it was a pumpjack. There are so many childishly funny ways to read those last two sentences.

Something that bugs me a bit is 'funny' short videos that are just someone filming themselves talking to themselves, cutting back and forth between two angles to indicate that they're 'playing' two characters having a conversation. Sometimes they'll wear a wig in one shot to really drive it home. Very rarely are these actually funny at all. They strike me as self-indulgent more of the time, and dare I say, cringe.

Some people can do it to good effect though - Atun-Shei Films is pretty good at actually playing two distinct characters, but that channel has, you know, a point.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Alexander Hamilton posted:

People who walk slowly. Not because they have a disability or anything, just people who amble down the road at 2 miles an hour. They’re not even in my way or anything, I just see them moseying along and I get so mad. Hurry the gently caress up!

I do get mildly irritated by people who walk slowly and meander all over the sidewalk, like I'm going to pass on the left and they move left. It's irrational, gotta remind myself that most people just aren't at the same level of situational awareness.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bobjr posted:

A bit more literal but when people post that they need to rehome their dog or cat they got, because they have to feed and take care of it. What did they think a pet needs.

This just makes me so sad. Similarly, when I got my cat from the Humane Society, they made us call up my roommate so they could ask him the same questions about declawing etc. that they asked us. They said it was an exception; normally they won't give you a pet unless all members of the household are present for the interview, because it's an unfortunate reality that some cats get brought back to the shelter on the same day they're picked up because some roommate doesn't want them. I can't imagine how scary and confusing that must be for a cat.

Fortunately we're not like that and Wiz has been my best friend for nearly eight years.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lobsterminator posted:

I hate how everything is now attributed to AI. Like if there's a doctored photo people call out AI. And if there's a bad text post people call out AI.

This has become a bit of a gag at my work, we use 'AI' to explain the utterly trivial or banal or something that's been around forever.

"How do they get the caramel into a Caramilk bar?"
"Definitely AI."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
People who don't know that tilting is part of playing pinball.

I go to some bars that have pinball tables in them and I get it, you want people to keep pumping coins into them so you set the tilt sensor really sensitive. But as someone who practiced on tables set more reasonably (I guess you could say 'for competition play'), I'm in the habit of moving the table around a bit.

Its frustrating but whatever, that's not really the part that ticks me off. What ticks me off is when patrons say stuff like "whoa cowboy" or bartenders tell me to knock it off. One owner told me to "just get good" when I calmly described how some tables have their sensors set differently and that tilting is generally considered part of the game among pinheads.

I'm no wizard, but I'm better than the average person at pinball. I worked in an arcade bar for a few years, it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

is there a windmill-themed pinball machine

like, c'mon, strategy or not maybe don't abuse the antiques.

Not sure what the first part of your post means (tilting at windmills maybe?) but moving the machine to the side by a few inches is not abuse. They take far more wear and tear from people pressing the flipper buttons incessantly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
No, because it could in fact lead to a higher score if it keeps the ball in play, and because you see it all the time in competition play. Abuse is putting a beer on top of the machine, or punching it when your ball drains - both of which are things I had to warn people about many times at the arcade bar where I worked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Punkinhead posted:

I didn't realize if I got a pinball machine some guys would feel literally entitled to slam it around.

I understand many of them are built to handle it but they're also thousands of dollars and maybe if you're not a federally licensed pinball badass it would make you nervous to rough it up.

Like I keep saying, part of the game is moving the table (because there are scenarios where the ball may drain straight down between the flippers), finding the finesse to know what is too much movement, and it's 100% expected in arcade bars and competitions. If it weren't accepted as part of the game, there wouldn't be a tilt sensor and it wouldn't be adjustable.

Fun fact #1: The sensor is a little pendulum bob with a ring around it. The bob touches the ring and completes the circuit, locking out the machine controls and robbing the player of any bonus points. Tables often have a 'warning' setting to warn the player when they're approaching too much movement.

Fun fact #2: Most bar owners do not own their own pinball or arcade machines, they're subcontracted out. The arcade bar I worked in owned all of their machines, and sometimes the more knowledgeable staff would be there until 7AM after a Saturday night, replacing solenoids from flipper wear. I never once saw a machine that had to be repaired from being shoved too aggressively.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

InediblePenguin posted:

fun fact: the tilt sensor is configurable so the owner of the machine can change it to where they want it
fun fact: sounds like the owner of the machine you're whining about wants you not to tilt it
if it's different in pro play then go play at a pro bar or some poo poo lol

I do play at bars who know how to set their tables up properly. I stopped playing at the ones that don't. It's just irritating (which is why I posted ITT) when people who don't know what the gently caress they're talking about think I'm doing it out of aggression, or not knowing how to play the game.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some music (the DOOM Eternal OST comes to mind) is only properly available on YouTube. I am too cheap to pay for podcasts so I listen on YT as well - I usually throw on Behind the Bastards while I work out.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another where we talked about action movies that have unrealistic confrontations where the protagonist and the big bad trade dialogue instead of just killing each other immediately. It occurred to me that the Equalizer movies are an entire series of this trope. Every single confrontation McCall gets in is just him sitting there saying some ice cold poo poo and then killing everyone in a very improbable way. It's dumb as gently caress but I find it entertaining.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Silver Falcon posted:

Dumb question, but what does dropping weights even mean/entail? I don't lift, so I have no idea what that involves.

Like you're taking the weights off a machine and just dropping them on the floor like thud? Or is it when you're lifting a barbell and when you put it down it kinda clangs on the floor a bit?

The former I could see as being reasonable, the latter would be like, what? Weightlifting is hard and noises happen!

It's most common in the deadlift and a lot of the Olympic lifts, where it's arguably less safe to lower the bar slowly. This is less true of the deadlift but it's definitely the safe option in Oly lifts like the snatch, which end with a very heavy bar above your head.

I think gym rules are a bit weird to get peeved about but some of that is deffo a bit overbearing. I'm lucky enough to have space for a home gym and 500lbs of freeweights, I never have to worry about gym etiquette or the various meat heads you meet in them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CordlessPen posted:

the 6 months in 2018 when "functional training" was a fad and anything that wasn't 100% translatable into a daily task was seen as an absolute waste of time

God I hate this. IDK if it was even that short a trend; I still have people talking down to me about 'functional strength' in TYOOL 2024. And they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about, it's so embarrassing to even engage these people in conversation because they're so obsessed with their XFit WODs and how much 'better' they are than regular weightlifting.

Newsflash: ALL strength is functional. Just because I'm not hitting a tractor tire with a sledgehammer and flipping it over, doesn't mean I'm not gaining strength. Squatting heavy has absolutely helped me in my daily life, helping friends move or loading subwoofers into a van or kicking someone out of a bar.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sure it's been done ITT, but the trend of movie trailers taking a popular song and remixing it into some cinematic piece, is something I hate.

There must be a term for it more apt than 'remix', even though that's technically correct it just seems insulting to the idea of remixing. They'll chop up familiar lyrics and licks to punctuate moments onscreen and it fucks with the meter in my head and just makes me angry.

The most recent example is Any Way You Want It being used in the Fall Guy trailer. Now I'm not a huge Journey fan by any means but I do like that song (more than their other big hits anyway) and hearing it like that just bugs me. I think there is maybe one example of it being done remotely tastefully; Something in the Way by Nirvana in The Batman soundtrack - but IIRC that's because it was actually used in the film at a few moments which somehow, to me, lent credence to the lyrical content's relatability. You'd think using White Rabbit in the Matrix: Resurrections would have been more apt, but it felt cornball.

Pink Floyd's Eclipse in the new DUNE trailers made me - for a brief moment - consider not seeing the film in theatres, and that's a big deal for me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Brawnfire posted:

God that song is in EVERYTHING

Maybe that's why I harbour an irrational disdain towards it (and, come to think of it, a lot of other big 60s/70s music like most of Dark Side of the Moon): I went to a burnout highschool where EVERYONE went through a 'let's get baked and listen to our parents' music' phase. Some never left, still on some poo poo like "have you ever seen Dark Side of Oz... on weed?" Yes dude, yes I have, we watched it together in tenth grade, even synced up the vinyl record to the VHS tape ourselves. It didn't 'sync' for poo poo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CelticPredator posted:

That sounds fun tbh

It is when you're 15 years old and every joint gets you higher than you've ever been or will ever be again.

You could load up an Air Supply album and a taped episode of 60 Minutes and I'd tell you that poo poo synced up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is a very mild one, but people who don't respond to a greeting or say thank you. I was just raised to be extra friendly and polite but the number of people who come into my work and completely ignore a "Hey folks how're you?" and just say what they want is pretty high and it does tick me off a mote.
"Hi there, how's it going?"
"GUITARS?"
"Yeah that's actually next door; we're not connected internally so you have to go back outside and make a left."
*they leave without acknowledging, sometimes with a pouty face on*

Actually worse than that are the people who come up to the counter and just start reciting their phone number without saying what they want us to do with their account on the POS. Nine times out of ten it's some sort of payment.

Yet worse are the phone calls from someone who wants us to deliver something or buy it over the phone and have an Uber driver come pick it up. We have a very specific policy for third-party sales that the driver has to come into the store and get the actual buyer on the phone so we can confirm it. The other day some dipshit yelled at me over the phone over it. People are so poisoned by Amazon and their apps that they think they can get anything they want at the touch of a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know it's a curmudgeony thing to be mad about (I mean what is the Pet Peeve Thread for if not irrational frustrations) but people who don't understand the concept of 'single file' really bug me.

Just now I was walking down a section of sidewalk that's made inconveniently narrow by bicycle posts on the one side and a local bar's patio railing on the other. This couple was walking towards me and I was all the way over, right against the patio railing, and the dude didn't budge, so guess what happened? We collided and he stumbled.

I'm a pretty considerate person, like I'll be the first to walk in the road if there's someone coming by in a wheelchair or with a stroller or other mobility issues. But if you are a grown-rear end able-bodied man and you can't be arsed to step behind your friend for a brief moment, you are getting bumped into.