Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Present posted:

I get salty when someone says they can't do a thing for reason x, when its obvious that reason x is not even a good excuse. Just own up to not feeling like it and tell me, I won't mind.

Ugh yeah, this really gets me. A good friend of mine absolutely loves concocting some huge reasoning for why he can't come hang out or whatever. Just say you're tired/in a bad mood/feeling antisocial, fuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Now I have to spend a few minutes in 90 degree heat separating everything properly and meanwhile my popsicles are melting. :qq:

Through years of testing I've determined that I can carry 11-15 bags of groceries on each arm. Step up your game and do it in one trip. :colbert:

I'm going to repeat everyone who has brought up indecisiveness. I'm going to strangle the next person that shoots down the place I choose after saying "sure whatever" to the 9 options I list. Fuuuuck yoooooou.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've run Windows with the task bar set to auto hide forever. I just do, I like it that way. What I don't like is that occasionally (often) something* will get 'stuck' and it won't auto hide, it just sits there like a normal task bar. But since it's set to auto hide the computer happily extends windows below the ever present, always on top task bar. Usually hiding helpful controls situated along the bottom of said window.

*I'm assuming its things in the notification area, like Windows Update popups, "This device is safe to remove", etc. Its just annoying as all hell and no, I won't give up my auto hiding task bar.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

if you like the auto hidden task bar because you like minimalism, I suggest takinga look at rainmeter. It's a thingy that changes the look of the os to be whatever you customize it to, it's pretty fuckin' rad. I have it and I've made it so everything's super minimalistic and clean. http://rainmeter.net/ give it a look, maybe it'll help your pet peeve sadness.

This looks really neat, thanks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I use the slip covers as bookmarks. :shobon: I will admit to them being annoying, especially how they get beat up so easily. But.. i've never really cared enough to take them off.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

it was the happiest day of my short, lovely tenure at a gas station when they tore out the check processing crap and went to cash/plastic only.

gently caress checks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd get that all the time when I worked at a gas station. Someone would drive up, grab a case of beer and come to the counter.

ID?
:geno: Uh, no. I just need some beer.
Yeah sure but I need an ID for the beer, just like you probably need one for driving so, the gently caress, dude?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've been chasing the gremlins that keep causing my new desktop to wake itself from sleep at random times and I think I finally got the last one. No, windows media player update check, you aren't important enough to wake the computer whenever the gently caress you feel like.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is this a windows 10 thing because I've never had it happen on 7.

Must be, or maybe I clicked through the WMP setup pane too quickly and didn't notice that it was an option. Whatever it was, its taken me a few weeks to weed out everything that has been waking the computer from sleep for no apparent reason. W10 sure seems to have more of that crap by default than 7 did.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

When a song comes on the radio or TV, and somebody decides to try singing along despite only knowing roughly half of the chorus. Or lip-syncs it, but you can still just barely hear that gross squish-clicking sound people make when they mouth words. (That description sounds really weird, I know, but I just hate that sound and can't think of any other way to describe it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUBdGR-z08

I'll sing along with all 5 words that I know, tyvm.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

People who send 100 texts in a row if you don't reply immediately.

Hey what's up
Did you get my last message?
Where are you
Are you ok?
Fine, don't answer.

And so on. Especially bad if they tie in calling multiple times in between the texts. How the gently caress do they not realize that I'm probably busy so can't get to my phone?

I've got friends who will immediately follow a text with an actual phone call, like even if I'm on my phone when I receive the text I won't have time to read it before the incoming call hits.

Why loving bother with the text then? This was even more of a peeve back in the dark old days before unlimited texting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

People who yell at the TV. So it's sunday, football, hooray! Everyone's just sitting there yelling and screaming at the TV set, clapping and cheering. The players can't loving hear you. You have zero input on the game, yelling at them to run faster achieves nothing.

Because it's exciting you goober.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cheshire Puss posted:

You are squeezing my hand. It is mildly painful. What the hell are you doing.

Not literally you. That other you that is theoretically that jackass. Obviously.

Yep. Working construction half the hand shakes I get are from wanna-be hardasses who attempt to turn my hand into fine bone powder. Dickheads.

But then the other half are limp-wristed shivers from the engineers and interns so I guess it balances out :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It'll end up the same mix of gunk in your stomach eat it however the gently caress you please, goddamn.

Fries on the burger 4 lyfe

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I get home from work at around 3:00 in the morning and I'm pretty sure the city set the lights so the streets I take are always on red. I once sat at one of them just to see, and it stayed red for around three minutes until I got fed up and ran it. Now the route I take is slightly more roundabout and it drives me nuts.

When a light isn't cycling like that just treat it as a 4 (or X, i guess)-way stop. Some of the tiny logging towns around here switch their solitary lights from signalling to standby between like 10PM and 6AM around here, same practice.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are we doppelgangers? If it tastes fine I have no problem with tap water but people look at me like I'm insane. Even my roommate has asked why I don't refill the britta* pitcher, why should I? Cause I've never used it! The tap water tastes fine. And I'll never understand people who don't eat leftovers. Seriously? Cold pizza rules :yum: And it's nice to have home-cooked meals in the fridge I can warm up with 2 minutes in the microwave or 15 in the oven.

*Actually if we have guests over or are throwing a party I'll be a good host and keep it topped up but don't jump my poo poo for it being empty when there are two of us in the house and one person uses the fucker.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll happily share the road with bicyclists who FOLLOW THE loving RULES. sigh, yeah as a PNW resident that gets to me, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

walrusman posted:

Are you absolutely sure about this? :raise:

In my state at least you must stop for a signaling bus unless you're on a divided road. 2 or 4 lanes, doesn't matter. Only if there is a physical barrier between the opposing travel directions, then you can continue on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whiz Palace posted:

That's my pet peeve. Noticed it most recently in Master of None. Are Americans under 35 just inexperienced with face-to-face conversation?

*glances up from phone/tablet/laptop* Huh? *back to facebook*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah it's pretty easy to set it up so you don't have to see poo poo you don't want to. Did I bitch out my cousin for liking a Franklin Graham (religious nutjob) post, this making it appear in my feed? No, I just hit "never show posts from Franklin Graham" and if that doesn't work then I'll unfollow that cousin. Easy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Most people aren't looking to rationally debate about any of their beliefs* :ssh: It's not worth the time and effort to even try.

*Especially if it's fuckin gun related.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anyone "rolling coal" should be put to death by having their exhaust piped right into their lungs. gently caress those guys.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't change the loving toilet paper roll. It's not that loving hard to take the old roll off the holder and put a new roll on. It's so annoying because inevitably I'll sit to have a pee and lo and behold the last person in there used the last of the toilet paper and now I have to either crabwalk to get some or drip dry.

I'll add "people that grab a new roll but balance it on the empty one on the spindle instead of just loving CHANGING THE THING ALREADY GODDAMN"

WHY :argh: it's 3 seconds of work you lazy dickhead

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just the other day I was walking up a narrow set of stairs when two people met me, coming down side by side and taking the whole space up. They looked at me as if they expected me to go back down to the bottom and let them by :psyduck:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only rear end in a top hat that'll adopt a thousand yard stare and lead with my shoulder when douchebags are taking up the entire goddamn sidewalk. It's more than wide enough for us all, now get off my side of it!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Solid Cake posted:

I've seen lots of people post in here about how it bugs them when people stop at a red light and they're over the white line where the crosswalk goes, sometimes almost in the intersection. That annoys me too, but I've been seeing a lot of just the opposite lately and it's even worse. People will pull to a stop at a red light, but they'll be like two car lengths away from the line where you're supposed to stop. Why are they stopping way back there?? It's so infuriating. Like I could see not slowing down quickly enough and accidentally rolling over the line, but you'd have to be very purposefully stopping that soon. Why??

It gives them more time to creeeeeeeep forwards/false start 2 or 3 times when they're absolutely sure it's their turn in the cycle but NOPE. Still red.

The best part about those people is that when the light does finally go green they don't go for a good 3 seconds at least. :downs:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah if it's a turn lame and I see a semi or bus or other large vehicle is coming I'll stop a little father back just to give them the extra room to make their turn. One of the few things that'll get you a courtesy wave these days. :3:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And the vast majority of shower heads are mounted at like 5 and a half feet high. Perfect height for washing my shoulders. :argh: I'm probably gonna slip and brain myself trying to do the limbo to wash my hair one of these days.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Telemarketers and spoofed caller ID numbers. That poo poo can't be legal, can it?

Cause I sure get a lot of calls from numbers that give me a "This number no longer in service/is disconnected" message when I call back.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're doing a caricature of it, I hope. I take it the talking down to people is part and parcel of this sort of horseshit? My skin crawls.

Just keep in mind that in the South you can say whatever vile thing you want about someone as long as you preface it with Bless your/their heart but,

It helps if you're a gossipy older lady but really anyone can do it.

That kind of social dance sounds exhausting anyway, goddamn.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Websites that try and fail to implement a "jump to last read" post feature. I'm looking at you, somethingawful. 9 times out of 10 I click the last read button and it just jerks me around a bunch and pops me near the top of the page even if there was only one unread post on that page.

Basically any page that causes the content to move up and down. I can't even read the news without the article jumping up and down as videos load or ads pop up. Just make me wait a little longer for the whole page to load if you can't do it right.

Embedded tweets seem to have broken the last read feature. Any pages with em never line up right.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sit back down damnit.

Not a chance, I've been crammed into this sardine can for hours, I'll stand and stretch just as soon as I can

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah what the gently caress, it should end at "please don't smoke in my place" no matter what it is they want to smoke. Assholes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Sinks with tiny-rear end faucets that require you to bang your knuckles on the back edge of the sink basin to wash your hands. I run into these things all over the place. How do people not realize this is a problem when installing the faucet?

I'm in a hotel right now that features this lovely faucet that extends approximately 1.5" into the sink:

I loving hate this so much.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The brightest time of my short retail career was when a customer called me a smart rear end for, well, being a smartass in denying him the coupon he was trying to belligerently apply to something it couldn't. Thanks for the compliment sir, now please leave!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Websites smart enough to serve up a mobile version for my phone, but not smart enough to give me the desktop version from a mobile link while I'm on my desktop. Wikipedia being a big offender here. :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

That just leads into the other fan theory that Bobby is Cotton's son.

Get the gently caress out

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

hello if you are a package deliverer, can you please not just open doors without knocking or ringing the doorbell and waltzing in like you own the place? Are you trying to get shot or what? Why would you ever do this? Also after I tell you to get the gently caress out, why would you yell through the door "should i just leave it at the door?"...yes, you should, that's your job. Put it on the ground, knock and leave.

What the gently caress who the hell ever does that

Maybe it's a thing in European countries where the airlock style entryways are common? Still gently caress that.

Also, lock yo door.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anything asking me to download the app to look at it 1000% guarantees I'll be avoiding the app forever out of spite. Eat my rear end reddit, I will not be downloading your app.

:emptyquote:

And no, reddit, your video player being absolute garbage does not make me want to get he app, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sounds like a trip to a library is in order. Or borrow a friends computer for a bit.