Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

walrusman posted:

This, but with "vac/vaca/vacay" and "uni." You are lower-middle-class white trash and you've never left the west coast of the U.S. Knock that poo poo off.

I'm completely certain "vaca" has been in use in the US since before the internet took off and enabled people to steal slang from other countries on the regular. My mom's been saying it since at least back in the '80s and she's definitely not trying to sound like Doctor Who or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

when I had appendicitis I spent twelve hours in the emergency room because the doctor on shift thought I was a teenage girl who was lying about being pregnant. He interrogated me about this multiple times over the twelve hours that I was lying half-conscious in agony on a gurney in a room off the side, coming in just long enough to yell at me that needed to just admit the truth already before leaving to tend to the patients he felt deserved his attention more. It wasn't until a new doctor came on at a shift change that anyone actually LOOKED at me. By the time they got me into the ER my appendix had already burst, and they had a meeting with my parents to break the news to them that they should not expect me to recover. Obviously I did (after several weeks in the hospital and a secondary infection that led to my parents being given ANOTHER "prepare for your child to die any minute now" speech), but doctors not loving believing people (especially women/people they perceive to be women) is my pet peeve

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

oh yeah and if you're trans then every single health problem you have is obviously an emotional/psychological thing related to your being trans, rather than an actual medical condition - I know a woman who couldn't initially get treatment for A BROKEN WRIST because the doctor at the clinic she went to was like "I don't have any experience with trans patients so I can't help you," because of course being trans means your bones work differently

Silver Falcon - my parents wanted to sue, but couldn't afford a lawyer, so it went nowhere

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pet peeve: no, photography did not take "hours" in the past. The VERY FIRST photography ever, in the 1820s, took about 8 hours, but by the 1830s dagguerotype exposure was down to ten minutes, in the middle of the 19th century it was a few seconds, and it was down to basically modern speeds by the end of the 19th century. The Kodak Brownie had a shutter speed of around 1/50th of a second.

It's such a common misconception that I've seen people expressing shock and amazement over photos from the mid-20th century like "oh my gosh how did they manage to take that, everyone would have had to stand still for ages!" No. No they wouldn't. That hasn't been necessary since the goddamn American Civil War.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

When somebody asks you a question that they could have just googled for themselves, and then argues with you when you answer. If you were already such an expert on this topic that you're gonna argue with the answer, why'd you even ask me in the first place?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Thoughtless posted:

I'm guilty of this, I ask the question because I want to discuss the subject.

I mean I don't "argue" but I want to talk about it.

Then ask a question like "What do you think about [x]" or something else that indicates that it's a discussion question. Don't ask a question with a factual answer and then argue with the factual response. If you already do ask discussion-type questions rather than factual ones, then the original post wasn't about you anyway

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Websites with an immobile floating header/navbanner that covers the top of the page, and when you hit "page down" some of the text is under the header. Some sites are coded to change the amount of space that hitting "page down" sends you, so the part under the banner is part you already read, but a lot of them do not do this and you have to hit page down and then scroll back up to un-hide poo poo from under their stupid loving banner

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I just had to go to the pharmacy. There was one clerk at the counter. There was a long line. The woman at the head of this line had a cart absolutely brimming with groceries, and she insisted on making the single pharmacy clerk ring them all up at the pharmacy counter which is not in any way equipped for large volume sales. How loving entitled do you have to be to hold up the entire line and monopolize the clerk instead of just paying for your loving medicine and then going to the front to pay for the rest? That would have been faster for her, too, because at the front they actually have conveyor belts and more than a single loving stack of plastic bags :bahgawd:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I have no doubt that if any mere RETAIL PEON dared try to correct the high and holy Customer who wanted to get her entire cart of groceries rung up at the loving pharmacy, it would have unleashed a Rich White Woman Storm of epic proportions. Hurricane Helen

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

no they will not posted:

-When I've already left the house for work/college before I realize my feet feel weird - I accidentally put on two left socks/two right socks. Agh.
Do you wear toe socks or something? I didn't know left/right-footed socks were even a thing otherwise.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ironically the one time my house actually did catch fire the smoke alarms never went off

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I hate when people don't close their parentheses. My mental narration as I read switches into a different tone of voice (sort of a this-is-an-aside delivery) when I'm reading parentheticals, and if there's never a close-paren it messes up my reading of the whole paragraph.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

im full of poo poo posted:

I liked the gay marriage one cause "I'm happy about gay marriage being legal!" seemed like something that was worth broadcasting to your friends in a simple and frivolous way. Especially if you had friends who weren't happy about it. Not sure why so many people feel the need to affirm they're sad a bunch of people were killed by ISIS, it seems like an uncontroversial issue.
Yeah, the town where I live is STILL running weekly op-eds in the newspaper about how gay marriage is against God's will, so seeing my out-of-state friends and family lighting up rainbow was kind of nice tbh :unsmith:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Is this post from the 1800s? Have you ever heard of a dryer?

lol look at this rear end in a top hat trying to lord it over somebody else when you don't even pay Enrique to hand-dry the laundry by the hearth

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

"bass tabs" consisting of just... chord notation. for tracks that obviously have bass riffs. At least tag it "lovely cover band down at the local watering hole version" if that's what you're writing down

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FetusSlapper posted:

When you go to the grocery store and its busy as gently caress and people don't seem to notice and stop and chat in the middle of the isle or park their cart and then stand next to it pondering which box of pasta or whatever to buy. Why yes, I enjoy having to make tick tock noises
lmao have you ever tried using your words like a big boy and actually saying "excuse me" you loving child

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

If she was in Canada she would be getting the medical treatment for free but she would have to wait like 3 months for an appointment.

everybody says this poo poo like it's some kind of gotcha, whereas in the United States you'll have to pay for the medical treatment and STILL wait 3 months for an appointment

I worked in medical billing for a while being the person at the doctor's office who calls the insurance company to try to get them to cover things. I left because it's a hosed up system to work in no matter which part of it you're in but what it taught me is that the insurance companies will deny everything and then end up covering it if you bother them enough. Like, it's straight-up a standard practice for them to routinely deny everything the first time even if it's obviously covered by the patient's policy, because most people just accept that they've denied it and don't realize they can appeal it, or else they just don't have the time and energy to deal with the appeals process (because they're sick or injured). It's super hosed up. If you DO have the time and energy, though, just keep appealing it and calling them and talking to them and re-appealing it and calling them again and make it a massive pain in their rear end long enough and they'll usually end up approving it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

Everyone complaining about being sick. Why didn't you get a flu shot you stupid stupid stupid stupid stupids. I've been around 50+ of you, closeley, and hundreds of you on public transport, and haven't gotten a sniffle. you are so dumb and I hate you

A few years ago they were saying that only certain people in very particular public-facing jobs should get the vaccine to avoid forcing the flu to mutate to something that would get all of us dead, and then a couple years after that they changed it to saying everyone should get it but there were shortages so once again only people in certain positions in life should get it, and NOW it's "everyone over 6 months unless you have immunodeficiency" but I had to google it to look that up. I feel like the CDC isn't communicating to the general public on this issue as well as they could be given that the standards have evidently changed

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

A minor pet peeve: people seem to be under the impression that "early photography had long exposure times" means "it took a full minute and a half to expose anything until they invented color film". This is not correct. Exposure times in the 1830s were from several seconds to a full minute, but by loving 1840 they had already come up with faster lenses that cut that exposure time down by 90%, and by the 1880s you're looking at times perfectly acceptable for modern photography (as long as the place was outdoors or otherwise well-lit, anyway). The Kodak Brownie came out in 1901 and it made SNAPSHOTS which are so called because they are AS QUICK AS A SNAP. By 1907 they had lenses that would allow for exposure times of 1/1000th of a second. But people will see a goddamn photo from 1932 that's blurry because somebody was loving moving (pro tip: most of the time if somebody's actually moving when you take the picture even now that picture will end up blurry!!) and blame it on "how long exposure times were back then," or express amazement that a photo from the 1910s has somebody smiling when "they would have had to keep their face like that for so long!" No. Early photography means really loving early, not before I personally was born
e: lmao I already loving complained about this in this thread a while ago. I just forgot about that post, and got reminded of the phenomenon today (my second example above was what I ran into)

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Nov 11, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

There's an intersection near my house where a major road intersects a smaller road, and people on the major road just seem to assume they have right of way because they're more important people on a more important road or some poo poo. There's four-way traffic lights on a timer and every single light change, the people on the major road run through all the yellow and the first few seconds of red, so that when you're on the smaller road you sit there with YOUR light green waiting for all these people who are running THEIR red light to clear the loving intersection so you can actually go through, and by the time they've finished the smaller road's light has turned yellow. There's usually enough time for exactly two or three cars to move from the smaller road before the lights change again. Every time I'm sat there at a green light waiting for six more fuckheads in giant loving Texas Edition pickup trucks to clear the loving intersection I wish I could make their cars explode through sheer hatred

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

my horrible grandmother is like this. aside from being a racist shithead, she's convinced she's the best cook, which leads to her making things like her "porkchops". The way she makes porkchops is that she takes the poor, innocent porkchops, put them in a casserole thing, covers them in vegetable oil and badly chopped onions, and throws them in the oven for (not exaggerating) 3-4 hours. She then tries to make everyone eat the oily meatpaste. When people refuse because we actually like not making GBS threads our guts out, she gets angry. It's fun.
Someone in my family circle is also a racist shithead, but the way SHE overcooks porkchops is by putting them dry in a pan until they turn to hockey pucks and can't be chewed

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

My friend asked me to join their RPG group. I said sure and asked them about the setting. They won't tell me? Like, any time I ask for specific information, they just say it's "open-ended pretendy funtimes game, just make up what you want!" but at the same time there clearly IS an established setting for the group because they gave me a list of locations and asked which one my character is from. I asked for more information beyond... a list of loving names of places I know nothing about... and got the "oh it's an open-ended pretendy funtimes game!" non-answer. I'm very annoyed about it and will probably just not play

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

massive peeve: fuckers who notice and remark upon climate change such as the unseasonably warm weather just mentioned, but then deny that climate change is a thing. "Yeah, the globe is warmer! But global warming is lies"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

If you use Firefox, it shows up in Task Manager as "firefox" and as "plugin container." That's fine. If you use Chrome, it shows up in Task Manager as "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome", like for some reason it always lists itself five times in Task Manager even if there's only one instance open with a single tab. I guess they don't have it renaming the plugin containers or whatever the way Firefox does? Anyway, it annoys me

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

speaking of rhetorical poo poo we are tired of: we're just typing on the internet.... there are no hills and no one is dying....

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

sorry about your cat :(

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I think the "text messages are rude, get out and knock" rule, if it exists, should be waived during the winter. I don't expect my friends to have to stop their car and get out and walk around in the cold just to knock on my door for the sole purpose of alerting me that it's time to leave my house. I don't get the point of that particular etiquette concept at all, actually, because I don't see why my friends should have to inconvenience themselves for literally no reason, but especially in the winter

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

tbh upon thinking it over I think my anxiety disorder plays into this, because if I get a text message from a friend I know it is from a friend, whereas if there is knocking at my door it might be that crazy rear end in a top hat from across the street who sometimes stands in the road screaming "i'm going to kill you" at people for an hour and a half, or the literal Nazi who lives next door -- those two possibilities are slim, but like I said, anxiety disorder :shrug: anyway I'm cool with text messages I don't see what benefit I'd get from making anybody get out of their car

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

pet peeve: having to live next door to a Nazi

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm like that, so I never watch shows with anybody else because I know it'll annoy the hell out of them

I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADD though

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

somebody should make a documentary about Tiggum's way of life tbh

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mostlygray posted:

I have no beef with friends or neighbors coming in unannounced. Mi casa es su casa. Maybe it's different in other regions but, in Minnesota, just walking in and grabbing a pop out of the fridge is normal. I have keys to my neighbors house. He and his wife have keys to mine. You knock as you open the door. No big deal. I never lock my doors anyway.

The dog will let me know if it's someone she doesn't know.

My next door neighbor is a literal Nazi so I'm glad this isn't socially expected where I live

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

mostlygray posted:

My Small Town is Burnsville, MN 61,000 population in the Twin Cities metro which is getting on 4 million these days. Yet I'm still not afraid. There's a Meth dealer down the street and a super sketchy kid that likes to steal poo poo around the corner. I've seen guys casing the neighborhood at night. It's not a small town, just a town.

Never be afraid. Even if you're in NY or LA. Chicago or Miami. Never be afraid. I refuse to be afraid. I've lived some of the sketchiest neighborhoods but never felt afraid of my neighbors. They've always got your back. Be it Powderhorn or be it Phillips. Be it North, or Golden Valley. Your neighbors always have your back.

cool but I'm still gonna lock my fuckin door

"your neighbors always have your back" I live next door to a literal Nazi in real life, dude, I'm glad you've had such great experiences literally everywhere in your entire life

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I grew up in zelda and after growing up with strangers coming in and breaking all our dishes on the regular i now make sure to lock my door then feed the key to a random bat in the labyrinth in my cellar

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

actual thought expressed: "bad neighborhoods" aren't actually death traps where you'll be instantly rapemurdered the instant you step your lily-white foot out the door
goon interpretation: i don't want to live in a good neighborhood i want to join a gang

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

"wins all the internets" is the worst one though

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm just picturing you as Bluehair the Tumblrina now - symbol of STDH.txt, also someone you do not want to upset on Twitter because she has at least 200 followers.

I'm just picturing you as a fucko

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

call the fire marshall about the grill, the fire marshall generally actually gives a gently caress about whether the idiots in his/her area get themselves firemurdered through their own stupidity even if the idiots live in a poor people house

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mild dehydration is still dehydration, and the symptom is that you're thirsty -- the term does not SOLELY refer to levels of dehydration which are physically dangerous and require a doctor's attention, and by no means does being dehydrated require being on the brink of death or whatever. Your girlfriend's usage is perfectly legitimate, you just find it annoying, which is also legitimate but not the same issue as you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

There's one person at the plasma donation center I go to who refuses to listen to me about anything. I've had these veins my entire life, and I know from experience that they are small veins and the easiest one to stick is my left arm. All the other employees know this but this one lady won't listen, tries to stick my right arm because I'm right-handed, wags the fuckin needle around under my skin for a few minutes THEN concedes that maybe she should try my other arm. Then when they're dumping saline in to make up for the volume of plasma lost, my arm hurt, which I know from experience will be solved if they turn the flow rate on the machine down a little, but this fuckin woman just tells me "it's only saline" in a dubious voice as if there's no way for having room temperature saline pumped at high speed into your veins to ever be uncomfortable at all. I have to wait until she's with a different donor so that ANY of the other employees can come over, immediately understand when I say my arm hurts, and adjust one setting on the pump to make me comfortable again. From now on I'm just gonna specifically request anyone else instead of her if she tries to touch me because she's done that bullshit with the needle three times now and I'm fuckin sick of having both my fuckin elbows torn up because she assumes anyone who isn't her must be an idiot who knows nothing about their own body. So fuckin many medical people are like that and while I realize that you get ground down over time by all the people who genuinely are ignorant, once you are so burnt out that you assume everyone is a lying moron who can't even accurately report their own comfort levels it is time for you to change careers tbqfh