Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

mamelon posted:

I just got a new PC laptop. The manufacturer notifies me regularly about updates but doesn't let me see what they are. My options are "install now" or "cancel."

So annoying.

This is why I install the bare OS on all my machines the moment I get them. Failing that, PC Decrapifier works in a pinch. Sometimes it shits the bed removing Norton products (I don't hold this against it, I've come close to making GBS threads the bed over Norton products) but that aside it's always performed admirably.

Seriously, OEM shitware is bloat that slows down your system and makes it vulnerable to viruses while providing little to no benefit of any sort to you. Removing it is like getting more RAM and CPU cycles for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HOLY gently caress posted:

Wasn't there a pyf bachelor stuff thread or did I imagine that?

There was. It got closed with a Mod decree that "We need a new one!", presumably because the old database issues were still happening, and threads over 150 posts were strenuous to the forums. Nobody made a new one, because we were all too busy (lazy) working at liquor stores and cumming in vases and peeing through knotholes in our various bedroom floors, possibly onto dogs, possibly not.

Link to the last.

Is it you? Are you the Chosen Goon who is going to restart the Bachelor Thread?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

I feel like fast food places should accommodate half of this argument by just letting you buy x dollars worth of fast food. "Put about nine dollars worth of whatever Arby's got in this bag, I'm too convenienced to be picky."

I mean, outside of specific gimmick items that's Taco Bell right there. You're not so much ordering a taco or a crunchwrap as defining the number and final shape of the tortilla(s), which will then be filled with pretty much the exact same stuff.

I also think that TB is like the only place I'd want a "surprise me" option like that, because outside of the protein I would be basically unable to guess what I even got. I feel like they're good at getting my (occasional and intoxicated) orders correct, but maybe they're always wrong and I don't notice because of the above.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My pet peeve is people who, in 2023, still think of a business as a monolithic slab and not a collection of moving parts all of which are getting variously hosed by corporate. The kind of person who looks in the bag at their fast food burg and doesn't realize that they paid actual humans to make that for them and they did the best job they could in the four minutes you gave them, and so comes inside and sadfaces about pickles because they don't realize that doing so makes the already unrealistic expectations placed onto the worker even more unrealistic, and failures even more likely.

There's no fixing it, Tiggum. At every place I've worked at in my entire life the failures were a predictable if not absolutely inevitable result of the processes handed down to us. Unfortunately those processes were universally designed by failsons who will throw the biggest tantrum if called out, so they will not be fixed. There are thousands of studies and people with actual degrees on how to avoid and correct this, but the changes don't get implemented because the former CEO's adult son needs a job and how bad could he really gently caress it up? (Spoilers: as bad or worse as everything else they touch).

If you're looking for custom order accuracy, a class of business whose entire focus is on getting food to you quickly at the cost of literally everything else is not the place to go even slightly. You are, without exaggeration, making fast food jobs worse for the inevitable consequences of your decision to eat fast food.

If you hate pickles just don't order things that come with pickles. Like if something is a hard out for you let it be a hard out and don't try and make it some dude working his third shift today's problem, because they might make it your problem right back whether they intend to or not.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I like how you can tell who has actually worked any kind of food service based on their position on this. A fast food kitchen is an assembly line optimized for making the menu items as they are on the menu as fast as humanly possible. Expecting a person who has been reduced to the metric of 'burgs per hour' by the company to accommodate an off-menu order was the mistake, and you can find out who did it by turning off your monitor.

Literally if someone took enough time to ensure off-menu order accuracy it would no longer be 'fast' food and they would be fired. Blame the company that wrote that standard, then recognize they're not going to change and consider going somewhere that you can at least tolerate the menu items as written. Or don't and get demolished in the Peeves thread, I guess.

oldpainless posted:

I have no problem believing 99% of goons meekly sit there and eat things they didn’t want like sad losers because only true alphas demand correctness. lol lmao

I went to a fast food restaurant because I wanted 'food', 'fast'. If I got food then it's Mission Accomplished and we can go home. I'm not so much ordering specific menu items as choosing my entry price for participating in this bizarre failed experiment. If I get what I ordered so much the better, but let's be honest I'm going to be vaguely disappointed regardless and know how and when to take the L.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Nov 13, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Corporations will slash employee pay and bloat employee duties until they have the knife edge barest minimum that doesn't drive away customers. The worse the acceptable product is the shittier they can be.

Therefore if you lower your standards as a customer, you are creating worse conditions for employees and are basically scabbing

I very rarely eat fast food, again, mostly while intoxicated, specifically because this is how it works. I'm not "lowering my standards" so much as acknowledging the reality of the situation. Also I did stop going to one fast food location close by my house because they would make the food completely wrong (not like giving me the wrong thing, no, like burned burgers and cold fries) and I know that you will be utterly baffled by this but they are still open and still lovely.

Again, for the price you paid and the speed at which you received the food, accuracy was never, ever gonna fit in the budget. I used to run a Wawa and even though Corporate was up our asses about everything and wanted everything written down, there was absolutely no way to record a mismake/remake because, and I cannot stress this enough, they did not give a poo poo. The only possible outcome of low accuracy was for the employee to be labeled as slow by the system, then scheduled fewer hours and eventually terminated for nonperformance, and even that wouldn't happen if they played the system correctly. The mechanisms for evaluating or addressing accuracy simply did not exist.

So like I said above, you can immediately and obviously tell who has worked in food service and who has not based on their position on this one topic.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dip Viscous posted:

The trash people here have a fancy truck that can lift and dump the dumpsters overhead but holy poo poo they drop it back down from five feet in the air. Maybe a trash person here can explain why there is a good reason for that but it startles me every time even if I am already awake.

In addition to what was said above, the parts of the truck intended to prevent exactly this problem are both expensive to service and not strictly necessary to the machine's operation. This generally means that when they break they don't get fixed. You can call the city to complain, if enough people do that they might put a newer truck with less-broken stuff on the route.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Black Friday used to be a real thing, where retailers would discount leftover prior year stock to make room for new stock for the holiday season. Now the "holiday season" starts in October and computerized ordering has all but eliminated the concept of "leftover stock" being a thing that occurs at any particular time of year. The last "real" Black Friday in that sense was before 2010, and even by that point it was only high ticket electronics that sold poorly the prior year, and only at warehouse stores like BrandsMart.

My family did Black Friday every year until 2004 because it was legitimately worth it, but we were so poor it was also the only way we could afford some things. Nowadays it's all stuff made to be sold on the day, and it's all poo poo because it was built for the "sale" price point.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

You'd think this is universal knowledge in the age of the internet, but there's still hoards of people rushing in to buy plastic crap. People just love cheap plastic so much.

My father, who was largely the reason we stopped doing Black Friday, still falls for this stuff. Four or so years ago he bought a $50 desktop computer at walmart that was a Black Friday special. It was the motherboard of a small form factor laptop from 5 years prior stuffed into a desktop-sized case and couldn't even run Windows 10, which came preinstalled on it. Even with 7 installed it simply could not play YouTube videos without hitching, and that's the reason he bought it. It had a power brick and a whole mess of extensions and adapters inside to fake the form factor.

Humans are both bad at games and subconsciously drawn to gamification.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate this too, BUT... for the first time I think possibly ever in my life, I had this other day but the light was genuinely hosed, as in the whole junction definitely just looped around through all the other lights and skipped mine, to the extent that me and all other cars just started trying to sneak through when it felt safe.

Might not have been broken, stupidly. My aunt's real estate office was across an 8 lane surface highway from the bank and post office, and the access road for her plaza and the one across had a light. The light would cycle for the highway 4 times (meaning greens then lefts then back to greens) before allowing the access roads to go at all. It was, no exaggeration, about 10 minutes between greens. She contacted the city and confirmed that this was indeed intended and would not change.

The best part was that there were cops and no u turn signs at every left turn for several miles in each direction, so sitting at the light and reading several pages of a novel was legitimately the fastest way across.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

I don't spend all day in retail but I do occasionally go to the grocery store. I can't remember ever hearing that Mariah Carey song everyone hates. I know what it is, because I've gone out and listened to it, but where is everyone going where they are subjected to this all day long?

With that particular song I agree, but then there's utter trash like (Simply Having) A Wonderful Christmastime that's ubiquitous which I hate from my time in retail. I think Mariah Carey's marketing team just leveraged the general concept to kind of wedge her into the discussion, which they appear to have done extremely successfully.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

When I used to work for a lovely little insurance brokerage, we had all these rules about how we were never allowed to give discounts or waive fees or whatever, no matter how pissed a customer is. However, if they ever asked to speak to one of the managers, the manager would just instantly give the discount they'd been asking for (and had been moaning to me about for the last ten mins) because all they wanted was an easy life.

This was my last job (not insurance, an MDM) except the customer needed to be at least 5 ticket responses or 3 calls in before manager escalation was allowed. This resulted in idiots cargo culting the *exact same messages* they had sent before, word for word, as they knew that "path" worked. There was no path, they could have sent a ticket and immediately responded "mgr plz" 4 times in a row without us so much as acknowledging the ticket and it would have worked just as well.

Of course we were under no circumstances allowed to acknowledge the policy in any way, but that was the policy and it resulted in the absolute stupidest bullshit responses I ever did see, which my beloved fellow queue members would attempt to respond to legitimately and uniquely. Massive waste of everyone's time, and the absolute only thing it ever did was ensure that by the time manager escalation was an option the customer was somewhere between "mad as hell" and "incoherently irate".

Everyone lost!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

caspergers posted:

Slow motion fail clips. It takes away the funny.

Observe and compare:

This should go in the milquetoast opinions thread, because it's obviously correct and nobody's gonna disagree

E: don't, like, feel compelled to move it. PYF is basically all one giant chat thread anyway, nothing mattress. That's my peeve? Except it's not a peeve it's actually cool and good.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

InediblePenguin posted:

I find fake names or even silly nicknames easier to read, parse, and remember than initials; this is a peeve of mine when reading advice columns or the r/relationships thread for schadenfreude; this is a thing which can effect people with dyslexia and other brain things as well

I think everyone should just use fake names for everyone when they're telling a story anonymously and shouldn't even mention it. Bonus points if there's multiple names and you can establish a theme with them.

Hardcordion posted:

When I was a kid my dad would refer to me and my sister as Poop and Scoop and we'd argue over who got to be Poop.

Your parents hosed up by not having a third kid

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My pet peeve is this guy's wife

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
LinkedIn automatically deletes spaces if you delete the word after them, which is probably convenient for idiots but is absolutely loving rage-inducing when I'm trying to quickly modify multiple fields in my profile in preparation for a job application sprint.

Also LinkedIn has an extremely rigid system for classifying jobs, which probably works well enough for most people but cannot handle contracting nicely at all. At one (brief) time in my life I had 7 contractual employment situations over the course of a single year, and my choices are either to have that one year dominate my entire employment history or to roll it all up into one badly confusing entry that fundamentally misrepresents my employment history. It's both stressful and not great.

I fuckin' hate looking for jobs.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The recruiters on LinkedIn have also made me hate when jobs look for me. So many LinkedIn recruiters will send me nastygrams if I don’t reply, or they get mad when I ask about salary (where when they do eventually reply it’s 15-25k under my current pay). I have no idea why so many recruiters think that the cold-call level message they send me is something I’ll reply to in a few hours. It’s just a nightmare hellsite where I feel like I still need to have an account for career purposes, I hate it.

My experience with recruiters in the past is that they've been useful... barely. Perhaps one in ten jobs a recruiter suggested was a legitimately interesting position within my range that I might not have found (or might have taken much longer to find) without their assistance.

No longer. I'm not sure what changed but recruiters are less than useless. I reached out to a recruiter I've used successfully before to help with this most recent bout of job searching and in 3 months she has yet to send me a single job that matches my career goals and my qualifications. Not one. And I've applied for several of the jobs where I didn't meet the qualifications (mostly because I don't have a degree) at her insistence and have heard absolutely nothing back. I'm working with two other recruiters now and they, too, seem to forget the parts of my profile that are inconvenient to them and push for me to take jobs that would be bad for me as a result. I've terminated my relationships with all 3 at this point and am going it alone.

And today I'm loving fed up with Linkedin not showing me job postings. A friend sent me a link to a posting, I can see the posting when I click the link, but even before I applied to it there was no way for me to see the posting through Search. Frustratingly, the job meets my exact qualifications and filters. How many other jobs are being hidden like that, LinkedIn? What the gently caress is the point of a job search website when the search simply cannot find some of the listed jobs?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FFT posted:

I would assume the position is already guaranteed to go to a friend or relative and the posting is just a formality.

She found the posting via search. Upon further investigation, I can find the posting via search - if I'm logged out. The moment I log in on my phone or desktop it no longer appears in search. The only legitimate thing I can even imagine is that someone in the company blocked me from the application, but I don't have any network connections there and I don't know anyone who works there or as best I can tell ever has. I think it's far more likely that LinkedIn is just a piece of poo poo and nobody's ever noticed because nobody cares.

gently caress 'em, applied. At some point someone has to give me a job out of sheer force of will.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

Goons, that "turn your monitor on" joke hasn't worked for twenty years. What monitors are you using that you can still see your reflection back in it?

Brawnfire posted:

When I somehow type and post a whole post without realizing I'm in the wrong thread.

Both of these are deeply-held Goon traditions and I oppose any attempts to remove or change either on religious grounds.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't like how the tiktoks always seem to loop before the end when I view them in the browser. Don't tell me to install the app it'll be a cold day in hell before i do that bullshit.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

What bothers me about it isn't the unevenness, it's the fact that it means that the inner sleeve is bunched up somewhere in the outer one. This creates a warm spot and might even make me sweat in that specific location, then I take the jacket off and I have a little wet spot and it's the loving worst.

Also sweat in general is a peeve for me. I have a huge head that leads to thermoregulation problems so I almost always under-dress for the weather (I say I like the cold more but I'm not sure I would without the thermoregulation problems) but I'd rather freeze to death than be inappropriately sweaty. Unfortunately I live in Florida for now so my life is just a whole-rear end shitshow about it, and I always run right up against dress code at work trying not to look sweaty in the summers. Ugh, hate it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've completely stopped listening to podcasts that do ad rolls.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dip Viscous posted:

I've been seeing an increase in ads for things that can't possibly be of interest to many of the listeners. I'm trying to listen to a podcast about 8-bit computers, why are you shilling $740 pocket knives?

Those are scammers, just like Raycon Earbuds. They're low-quality products that are deliberately overpriced so they only have to trick a few marks into buying to make the same profit they would selling hundreds at a fair price. This works because even in places that have functional consumer protection laws, a subpar product at a premium price almost never runs afoul of them so long as they technically work.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

I have a friend who used to work at Amazon and did some Alexa-related work a few years back, who said that when they were there there was a general prohibition on making Alexa say things without prompting because people hate that. Anyway, they were really interested when Alexa started doing it to them recently because it means something must have changed significantly in what the higher ups want and it probably goes against what research is telling them.

I wonder if we're seeing a similar phenomenon with Alexa as we do with mobile games with microtransactions, where once peak adoption is passed the strategy changes to maximizing whale take.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

You download a QR scanner app. I think maybe phones used to have that automatically built in to the camera app but that's a recipe for people hiding them places to send you to dodgy links.

Google's (or maybe Samsung's) camera app has it built in, I use it nearly every day on my work phone to access device configs. You open Camera normally, point it at the QR code, and it shows you the text of the link at the bottom of the screen. Tap it and it takes you to the website.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I have a peeve for this thread: People who are not helpful and do not want to help, but want to be remembered as having helped and inject themselves into situations as a result.

I feel like this is probably a universal phenomenon, but I'll give the example I'm living right now. My roommate passed last year, and he had a bad relationship with his brother (Reyn) who is, by all accounts, a selfish rich rear end in a top hat. After he died, Reyn started showing up to the house on a monthly basis, not to help but to "help". It almost feels like he's trying to redeem himself for how poorly he treated his dead brother.

He shows up with 24 hours of notice, and does what he imagines will be helpful without ever asking what we want or need help with. The estate just left probate (and while it was in probate I was living in the house just so it would be occupied and wouldn't fall to poo poo) so I'm moving this week. Six months ago Reyn showed up and hired a dumpster. He didn't ask, the dumpster just appeared in the driveway on the same day he arrived. We knew Probate was going to take at least 4 more months, there was no need for a dumpster, it's not like the dead brother was a hoarder. And yet, here it was, a dumpster blocking in my car.

Of course, he called in the dumpster so he wanted to use it. So he did. He dragged out his deceased brother's bedroom furniture, his couches, his dining room chairs (but weirdly not the table). We hadn't even tried to give any of these things away, but he wanted to "help" so "help" he did. Nevermind that I was living in the house. Nevermind that his father and I were still using the furniture. No no, he had to "help". So for the last 6 months the house has been unfurnished, save for a small amount of furniture I own.

Now he's back, and wants to "help" me move. He didn't warn me he was coming, not that he wanted to help me move, so I am in the process of packing boxes as I go and he, wanting to "help", is asking me what he can do.

Half my stuff is going to storage and half to my new place, but there is no way to easily differentiate between what goes where to another person, so he cannot help pack boxes. I've been labelling boxes as to where they go as I make them, but I cannot pack boxes at the rate he can pick them up and move them to the respective piles. There is nothing he can do. And yet here he is, coming to me like an unwanted attention-starved dog every 5 minutes, asking how he can "help".

Even when I give him a task, he is non-useful about it. I asked him to pack the remaining stuff in the kitchen (it is the dead brother's stuff and is going to the dad's house), but he cannot do this autonomously. He has to ask me what boxes he can use (the boxes in the kitchen), how to label them (kitchen stuff, to Dad's house), and what to put in which boxes (I do not give a single gently caress). He asks me if his packing is sufficient (again no fucks). He comes to me with various kitchen things to ask if they're mine (they're not, I packed all my stuff) because he doesn't think his brother would own, for example, a blender (he did not know his brother at all and is not an authority on what he would or would not have owned).

All this time his father is sleeping in my computer chair, because Reyn insists he come along, even though Dad is 94. Still, the brother comes to me with questions that only Dad could answer, like "does Dad want/need this?". I don't know, Reyn, he's sleeping in the office for some godforsaken loving reason, ask him. He can't though, not without me telling him to. gently caress.

Overall he has now wasted half the day and I'd have been done if not for his insistent presence. Oh and every hour or so he gets on the phone in the middle of the living room to repeatedly inform everyone he can think to call that he is out of town, in Florida, "helping" his dad and his dead brother's roommate. That's the point, getting credit for being helpful is the point. Helping in any actual capacity is, at best, a tertiary goal.

His dad is on my side, and keeps asking Reyn to go with him to other places so I can be left alone. He won't go, because after all, he came to help. Helping, hell or high water.

He's hosed off with a load to Dad's house so I'm sitting on the back porch smoking a cigar. I'm so loving stressed out, and I quit smoking a year ago so this is not great. I just wish he'd leave, but he won't. loving gently caress I hate this poo poo.

Anyway that's all, hope everyone is having a much, much better weekend than I am. Can't wait to see how he wants to help for the rest of the week he's here. gently caress.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Feb 3, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

Just tell him to gently caress off wtf

He won't. The last time we did that (he was abusing Dad in an attempt to wrest power of attorney from him) he cancelled his ticket home and stayed for two weeks.

Wait, I've just been informed that he cancelled his ticket home again because Dad won't tell him when his next doctor's appointment is. loving gently caress. He stresses his Dad out so much, if there's something going on this won't improve the prognosis.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

God. People are the ultimate paramount pet peeve. Hope this crap ends soon.

Well my hard out on the house stuff is Saturday, we have a deep clean crew coming and after that I don't cross the threshold.

The dad stuff will last longer, because Dad's most recent diagnosis is maybe-cancer. To be clear, he's not my dad, just the dad of my deceased roommate, but we're buddies. We get breakfast on Saturdays and turn wood sometimes. Adoptive son is jealous, and wants to be part of Dad's life, but not enough to put in effort. When he found out I was turning wood with his dad he asked Dad for a lathe so he could turn wood too. Dad gave him one to be nice, but that was 6 months ago and he "hasn't found time to use it much". Motherfucker stole a lathe from a geriatric.

He's here because of the house sale, and he's not so much helping as just injecting himself and changing plans without informing stakeholders, which is... fun.

He'll hang around for another week or two, maybe until the house is sold, but old man health issues move slow until they move very, very fast. He's gonna get bored and leave sooner than later. He got over a million and a half from the estate (and was already a multimillionaire), while dad got nothing but the house and a truck that needs a new transmission. The deceased used to subsidize Dad to the tune of $2k a month, but adoptive son won't take up that mantle and despite being a multi-millionaire retiree that travels the world with his wife actually recently told Dad he's "cut off". It's insane, he's the worst person I've ever known.

I'm not tooting my horn, to be clear, but I've done thousands of dollars of unpaid renovations on the house (mostly just badly deferred maintenance) in addition to paying the mortgage since the roommate died. All of this explicitly and specifically to maximize Dad's take on the sale and prevent foreclosure (and I don't want the money back, it's well spent in my book).

Adoptive son rented a dumpster nobody needed and hired a landscaper this week because I guess I didn't do a good enough job with the landscaping. That's true, I didn't, but I've had a lot on my plate and I've been working and pretty depressed. Still, pales in comparison to my outlay and the motherfucker has the audacity to call my repairs "lipstick on a pig" (he thinks the house isn't a great house, which may be true but it's in downtown so looking nice will be a huge force multiplier for the sale). I've been keeping the house alone this whole time and that feels like a kick in the teeth.

Fuckin hell I hate this guy so much. Sorry I'm venting a bit, but like loving augh. Also Dad found out that he might have cancer

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 7, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

Oh wow, you're right, I had forgotten how, before tacos, it was fuckin bacon people would lose their poo poo over. BACON! BACON! EVERYBODY BACON!!! Even just saying the word was a joke or... something. I was so disappointed when one of my favorite bands in the whole world announced their new album at a concert I had gone to see. The album is "bacon." Sigh. The titular song on the album is a lot of fun, though.

gently caress, that's right, bacon and now tacos. What the gently caress.

It's always something and has been for a long time. Since 2000 bacon, superfoods, chipotle peppers, burritos, Sriracha, frozen yogurt, chicken sandwiches, and tacos have all had their turns in the sun. I think it's just how food marketing works and always has.

It's funnier when they fail, though. Lots of places have been trying to make hatch peppers A Thing at least down here for like half a decade now, it never takes off but you'll still walk into a grocery store every once in awhile and see it's Hatch Pepper Festival and there's loads of products trying and variously failing to make it work. Brisket has failed to launch as the new bacon a few times also. Outside of specific holidays with specific associated foods it's always a slow news day in the grocery world, so they just hallucinate the dumbest poo poo and hope it catches on

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nameless Pete posted:

Attempting to use the same ATM I go to every two weeks tripped the fraud alert because ~reasons~

Attempting to purchase a phone in Target got me flagged yesterday. Unfortunately I was buying the phone because my old phone died, so I had to go all the way home to acknowledge the fraud flag via email, and by the time I did that Target had closed.

Yesterday was a long day.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My bank has placed a 14 day hold on a check I deposited. Unfortunately, this check is substantial, all the money I have for this week, and also a friend paying me back for my part in a complicated situation.

So it's peanut butter sandwiches again this week. Feels like I'll never escape.

Use Firefox instead, it's back to being the least lovely browser for now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Similarly: When I was guiding her through the process of attaching a document to an email, I asked Mom where the document was saved. "It's saved in Word!". No, Mom: where on the computer is it stored? She eventually found it in her Documents, but I also had to explain the idea that a document being saved on the hard drive is different from the program used to write it.

This is a losing battle with the younger generations too, and an evergreen topic for lots of threads. Tablets tend to obscure the filesystem to the point where an iPad, for example, pretends it doesn't have one until it's plugged into a computer. Mobile apps wall their little gardens so that your info is absolutely trapped. Make a note in Evernote? That's where it lives now, the only way to get it out is to export it, which is buried in a submenu.

Microsoft is doing the same with Office365. Documents are ephemeral, they're saved somewhere (OneDrive or SharePoint) but the apps do their damnedest to obfuscate that fact. Saving to the local machine is an option, but a scary popup comes up and says you might lose your work if you do so. It's bad and it's only going to get worse.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pomme de Terror posted:

Trying to get anything shipped to me (I live in Alaska) is such a crapshoot for timing.

I understand it's at a totally different scale, but the same poo poo happens to me and I live in Orlando, less than an hour from massive hubs for Amazon, UPS, and FedEx. Overnight means two to three days. Two to three days means a week. A week might be two. I can only imagine the distance multiplies the time.

Also, the work truck thing is only getting worse as work trucks and work vans reliably expand year over year. Our shortest work vans are Promaster Citys, which they don't make anymore and are 16 feet long, which is longer than any parking spot laid out before 2000. Ford's trucks are even longer, and getting longer and larger every year. We do super specialized stuff so we only send one to each site normally, but when I worked in waterproofing we'd routinely need to bring 4-6 vehicles to a site because each one only seats two people. Multiply this by 5 for all the different contractors on a site and even a small residential construction site has to find (offsite) parking for 20+ massive vehicles just to have workers with hand tools on site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
What's up my worstie?