Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm supposed to write an opinion piece and now I'm having a crisis wondering if I actually have opinions or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ewe2 posted:

Write an onion piece instead.
It might actually be about the onion eating incident

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birb Katter posted:

We have another one who is known as "The Brick with Eyes"
We used to have anyway

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah he just quit PUP, forgot he was still a senator.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That silence at the start of a call is the tell

If it was a friend tell them to talk faster but 99% of the time it's a robo or telemarketer

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what's going to be in the Labor election announcement on the tv?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orkin Mang posted:

hot bewbs, economic asylum barons getting ther jsut deserts, some choice shroten zingers
Sick mate, can't miss that ai

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why would they do this?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

because australian cinema is a loving cultural wasteland
I disagree

Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Mad Max, Chopper, The Badabook, Dark City all good movies from Aus

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

six movies in however many years?

yeah sure
I could keep going but I don't have all night to name them all

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ScreamingLlama posted:

Iron Sky (Finnish/German/Australian endeavour)
hold up

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did any of you guys read a book about surviving a nuclear apocolypse in high school? Would have been years 7, 8 or 9. I've been trying to remember what it was for years.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kegslayer posted:

z for Zachariah?
Nope, that's what everyone comes up with but it's not that

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That could be it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hawaiian_robot posted:

When the Wind Blows?
Nah, that looks interesting though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I remember specifically is they turned away Goths at the settlement or whatever it was they were staying at.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

white mans burping posted:

Tomorrow when the war began?
No Nuclear bombs in that one.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

You might be thinking of Tomorrow When The War Began, which isn't actually a nuclear apocalypse, but probably had similar notes getting hit. It's possible you misremembered the 'nuclear' part.

I wanted to point the finger at a prolific author I remember reading a lot of in the curriculum around that age, but I don't actually remember who that was; I thought it was Paul Jennings, but I just checked and that's a different guy. I remember one of their books was a sci-fi retelling of the First Fleet, is that ringing bells for anyone else?

EDIT: Beaten on Tomorrow, oh well.
I wish it was that but I read Tomorrow for the first time a few years ago. The book I'm looking for talked vividly about the effects of radiation poisoning on people and the earth.

I also remember it describing scenes of tons of dead people, too many to bury.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We definitely did Children of the Dust in year 7 or 8 but since I haven't read it in 20 years anything I could tell you could be read on Wikipedia.
It seems most likely, cheers. I'll have to check it out to see if its the same book.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inge posted:

It's not On the Beach by Nevil Shute is it?
Nah but it sounds interesting.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was going go say Animal Kingdom but I had already mentioned a couple of crime films.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cpaf posted:

australian netflix will never have any good shows b/c of the Iron Fist of Murdoch and our draconian licensing laws *gets a million good shows*
It will go back to the old question of "Can I wait?" if no then torrent.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Someday, Aliens will find the signal which contains Abbott eating an Onion, then decide the fate of the Earth.
More than likely they will just take him back to his home planet.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New mafia game here if you are into that kind of thing, it's more of a traditional game of mafia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

72 hour days sounds awful.
72 for the first day, 42 for the second, third etc and 24ish near the end

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is definitely the thread for Mafia talk, yessiree.
would you prefer multiple pages of animal pictures? I know I would

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pickled Tink posted:

Today First Dog sums up the NSW election:

so many words

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yep

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

Literally the only good thing about these laws is that they're so obnoxiously easy to evade that they may as well not exist.
not really a good thing either

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murodese posted:

No, but if a government is going to introduce draconian surveillance laws, I'd rather they be completely incompetent at it.
I know right, it's hosed that we even have to look at it that way.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Avshalom posted:

I don't use adblock because it steals money from webcomic artists and other online content creators, which for most of them is the only income they'll ever make off their hours upon hours of hard work.

You heartless fucks.
You can disable adblocker on those sites you know

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Tasmanian man to walk from Launceston to Hobart to 'prove' the need for footpaths on every road

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-26/tasmanian-man-to-walk-from-launceston-to-hobart/6349048

The important things

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So uh, data retention bill just passed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serrath posted:

Shouldn't be a concern if you're not a terrorist
I dunno, I play mafia a lot does that count?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't they admit data retention is about piracy?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"A. gently caress knows. The copyright industry (movies, music primarily) donated a literal shitload of cash to the Liberal Party, so that's probably a good indicator. (http://www.itnews.com.au/%85/399933...how-boosts-d%85)"

link is broken

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can get poo poo from the library for free or for $1 on reserve so I don't usually bother pirating nowadays.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Hahaha we're trying to convince China that our [cane]toad juice is better than their toad juice at fighting cancer:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/26/cane-toad-venom-cancer-chinese-remedies

Researchers at the University of Queensland have discovered that cane toad venom is effective in fighting cancer, with the potency rivalling that of toads found in Asia that are used in Chinese traditional medicine.

The discovery opens up the possibility of sending millions of toads to China, where they would be systematically squeezed for their juices, which would then be mixed with herbs and consumed as medicine.

Harendra Parekh, from the university’s school of pharmacy, said Chinese companies were “queuing up” to get their hands on Australia’s cane toads.

“We don’t have any of the environmental pollution, such as heavy metal poisoning, that you see in China,” he told Guardian Australia. “So the Chinese see cane toads as living in a clean environment that doesn’t impact upon their venom.

------------------------------------------

Given how good "traditional" Chinese medicine is at decimating local wildlife populations, this might actually be a good thing.
Could be a good idea to combat cane toads as long as people don't try and farm them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how long did it take for data retention legislation to go from introduction to be debated to passed?

it seemed like it was a very short time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Would an ordinary Australia who doesn't evade metadata retention be more watched than a prisoner who doesn't have a phone or internet records?

• Locked thread