Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Luke Foley wants to save the koalas because he actually is a koala. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
someone should behead this thread.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Fruity Gordo posted:

$1.9 billion over three years seems like a really piddly amount, surely our lost revenue from corporate tax evasion would be orders of magnitude higher?

E: Apple alone ripped off $9b over the course of a decade, for example. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-06/tax-expert-explains-how-apple-pays-193m-tax-on-27b-revenue/5303426

"1 billion" is still a number which resonates with people, while the relative smallness of that number means that the captains of industry won't all line up to bag Shorten.

But yes, it is a very small part of the problem.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Over reach is when you get the ATO to contemplate industrial action. ASIO and the AFP may be the King and Ace of Spades but the ATO is the whole loving suit of diamonds. A week long strike at the ATO amounts to ~ 1/100th of the annual revenue not collected. Yes it might get collected later but that page on the balance sheet will remain blank forever.

Last budget cut 20% of staff over forward estimates so they wouldn't be too concerned about a day or week of nobody working. The other problem is that it would have to be months long strike for this kind of impact - 95% or more of revenue walks in the door without a bureaucrat lifting a finger.

As for the remainder, I think the workers care more about catching cheats for the good of the revenue as opposed to letting them go to prove a point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Three people dead in shooting at house near Toowoomba
Updated 12 minutes ago

MAP: Toowoomba 4350
Three people are dead following a shooting at a house on the Darling Downs, west of Brisbane.

It is understood police were called to the property in Biddeston, near Toowoomba, by paramedics at 6:55pm.

Officers then waited for back up before entering the building.

"I can confirm three people are dead from gunshot wounds," a Queensland Police Media spokesman told ABC News.

"There is no immediate threat to anyone in the area."

Police will remain at the scene through the night.

ASIO drops the ball on terrorism again.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SynthOrange posted:

A national tragedy:

:australia:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey shut-ins, get out and march!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Les Affaires posted:

It just so happens I have the whole thing saved in a word document at home. I can tidy it up, and add some extra bits.

I need some feedback from Auspol though. What would be the best form that something detailed like that would take shape as?

First Dog format, duh!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

markgreyam posted:

I call BINGO! I'd been waiting for that one for ages, I thought I was a shoe-in to win when my card had that in the centre square. It took longer than I thought.

I'm still waiting for "echo chamber." :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Pollies get not exorbitant increase in pay; Auspol explodes.

:downsbravo:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

There are plenty of workers being asked to take a less-than-inflation pay increase, or nothing at all. Also, when does someone look at MP's total remuneration being well above many other world leaders' packages and say 'how about we just put a freeze on this for a bit?'

I know, I'm one of them. Would it be better if the funds went to more deserving people? Absolutely. Is it worth losing our collective poo poo over? I don't think so.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Splode posted:

You sure are a clever individual!

Is Palaszczuk somehow prevented from now offering her public servants a decent pay rise, or is that too clever?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I guess so the family can have an open casket funeral if they want

Also it's easier to miss the head (even when shooting at the torso firing squads miss more than you'd expect)

Also you might just be a badarse fancy pants: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Murat

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kommando posted:

its a hallmark of auspol to tell people to :frogout: and kill yourselves, but it gets pretty circlejerk :circlefap: at times and the floor gets sticky.

On the rarest of rare occasions though something will divide the echo chamber and glorious chaos ensues as the thread devours its children like so many revolutions.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The only proper Australian way to treat reffos is to reward the degree of hazardousness of their trip (and therefore the degree of commitment they demonstrate to Australia). It's nothing less than the Anzac spirit.

Plane passengers should be dealt with under normal processes.

Those who make it to Christmas Island in a leaky fishing boat should be given citizenship, a democracy sausage, a cuppa and $500.

Those who make it to the mainland should get the same and also membership of the cricket/AFL ground in their capital city.

Anyone who swims across should be made a Member of Parliament for demonstrating extraordinary commitment to the speedos our PM is so fond of.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The only thing more tortured than the refugees is Ratfucker's logic.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's clear now that the Abbott backflips on the GP tax, paid parental leave and university deregulation were just warm ups for today's car assistance routine, in which the LNP triple somersaulted over it's earlier decision to abandon assistance. It then proceeded to stuff the landing with the news that $900m of the previously announced $1bn was not for use, all on the same day.

Then you have the unedifying sight of Joebeid "Treasurer for Sale" Hockey crying in the box about those meanies at Fairfax writing an article softer than anything this thread throws up on a daily basis. Which worked out well for him because we're not talking about how bad his super proposal was.

Joke policies from a joke government.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

my stepdads beer posted:

You're right. He just doesn't want the bubble and the economy to take a nose-dive during his term as treasurer. The super proposal might just keep things steady until Tony and friends are up for re-election.

Except for the fact that record low interest rates are overheating property, the one non-slumping sector, without the added stimulus of a bunch of kids using their meagre super as housing deposits. If anything his plan would only hasten the bubble bursting to occur in his term, which I expect because he's a fool.

Also on the "Unions aren't relevant" :hurr: topic, one theory is that the end of the old Industrial Relations Commission/Centralised Award system under Howard made this inevitable. Under the old system unions were legally necessary in the negotiations whereas now this is not the case even under the FWA. If somebody wants I can find my effortpost material later, my point for now is that the decline in union membership isn't entirely their own fault.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

Low staff levels are more likely to be in place to hopefully encourage like yourself towards their online channels.

Picking stock from a dark store and sending it out to you in a truck is much for cost effective than having your Corn Flakes triple handled by bored uni students.

No it isn't: both boxes of corn flakes go to a store of some description, but in your example the retailer has to organise and pay for the last link in the distribution chain ie the handover to the customer. In a normal store the customer grabs it off the shelves and takes it home all by themselves, thus completing the chain.

I discussed this with a Metcash executive last year, the supermarket chains haven't yet figured out a way to effectively monetise grocery delivery. It was his final frontier.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I thought Joe Hockey was feeling down after what those nasty journalists wrote so I sent him a lollipop to cheer him up.

:unsmith:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Why do we not just pool our capital into a grid-based anarcho-syndicalist collective?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:siren:DO NOT READ THE BELOW EVERYONE, I WILL BE MAKING A POST YOU DON'T LIKE.:siren:

YOU READY???

HERE GOES!

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't buy into this torture thing either to be honest. gently caress ups of Government and some terrible administration yes. Crappy circumstances where several parties have to carry some blame yes. But torture, no.

This is literally an Eichmann argument.
"I knew things were uncomfortable for the Jews, but killing them all? Der Führer would never allow that!"

Also :godwin:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Just pull some strings and the forum goes full lactard. I've got your milk right here from :siren:DEEZ NUTS:siren:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I can only assume you're still pissed because whatever point you're trying to make isn't there, unless you're trying to make a "he sure killed he are self" joke.
:iiam:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

People being tetchy appears to be the status quo it seems.

Not tetchy, lovely post got admittedly lovely response.

-/-

Of the two reasons I wasn't outraged about the QLD pollie pay rise several pages back, the second was that I was saving it up for this:

Abbot Point expansion to go ahead...

Some Murdoch Rag posted:

THE $1 billion-plus Abbot Point port expansion could start this year after the State Government came up with a third plan to resolve environmental issues over dredging.

The plan is to just dump next door of the wetlands, instead of right on top of the wetlands. Because that worked out so well for Homebu-

Wikipedia posted:

The bay was contaminated with dioxin and other chemicals by Union Carbide group which led to commercial fishing bans in most of Sydney Harbour and health advisories about limiting the quantity of fish eaten from the Parramattta River. Fishing is prohibited in Homebush Bay for health reasons. Other contamination includes phthalates, lead, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, DDT and heavy metals.

-/-

While on the topic of change from within, my branch didn't get quorum last night 2 weeks out from a state election because everyone was either old-person ill, or injured, and also the local candidate didn't bother to attend.

Soon there may not be anything left to change.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman posted:

Most intelligent posting I've seen ITT tbh

Avshalom posted:

Wizard Master is consistently the best poster in most threads, but especially this thread

echo_chamber.txt

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Less "puppet master," more Wizard Master thx in advance.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Where's First Dog? :confused:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Drugs posted:

firstdog died on the way back to his home planet

Well kids, we all know that sometimes when humourless rants die, they're back again the very next day. That's why I'm presenting this sworn affidavit that First Dog will never, ever, ever return!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

goddamnit

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Shadeoses posted:

Definitely one of the more inexplicable cartoons I have seen.

"This implies Scott Morrison is a bronie now to sue for defamation."

- Australian Bronie Club

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ewe2 posted:

Fairfax have already mooted a High Court challenge should they fail in the case, no doubt prompting McClintocks feverish performance today. Collins has apparently stated in his written submission that qualified privilege has had a bad run in appellate court, and this is a problem should they wish to fight an appeal. I was unaware that a Federal Court judge couldn't overturn an NSW Appeals court decision, which is being suggested here?!

I've spent half an hour typing something about how this fits with the Constitution, Judiciary Act, specific court legislation and the common law, and it's still about as clear as diarrhoea, so here goes my simple version:

- The Federal Court is hearing the case because maybe Fairfax is using the implied constitutional freedom for political communication, maybe?
- Defamation is usually a state matter, so the single federal judge is in the position of a first instance NSW judge, and thus bound by NSW appellate decisions.
- Judges at the same level aren't supposed to disagree unless one is obviously wrong. So two NSW single judges shouldn't overrule each other because they're the same court - the same thing applies across jurisdictions at the same level. This is because there is a single common law of Australia, and only the High Court tells everyone what that is.
- Because of that last principle, theoretically the Tasmanian Supreme Court could set some interesting precedents and the rest of Australia would have to follow. Ha!
- Hockey is still a giant sook :colbert:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Not that I agree with it at all but fear of blackmail more so than kidnapping is an actual thought that some people have and is not just a thing made up by LNP scuzzballs. To the point where someone was happy to pay 47.5% tax on their trust to avoid having anything in their name, but foregoing all the tax planning/minimisation stuff you expect people to use trusts for.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The 50% tax discount on capital gains is an enormous, continuing middle finger to workers and I propose to behead it immediately.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Nibbles! posted:

Yeah, but the conventions are very powerful aspects of our Constitution and it would be a huge thing if the GG ignored their First Minister.

more like worst minister

:boom:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senator-and-Quokka-Privatisation-enthusiast David Lionhelmet posted:

The time has come for the Prime Minister to reveal if the word 'liberal' means anything to him or if it's just a brand name like Datsun or Krispy Kreme.

haha Datsuns :wtc:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Rinehart, Palmer, Tinkler... is there a pattern here? Twiggy Forrest doesn't seem too big for a shitlord, so maybe not.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hiddenmovement posted:

Go back a few pages lol

Re: Twiggy, is it possible to be an enormous shitlord without actually being an enormous shitlord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Every time someone criticises NTATA for being lizard-like I throw up.
You despicable humans have so much more to use his scaly appearance, cruel eyes, flickering tongue and strange eating habits.

For loving shame Auspol.

• Locked thread