Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maybe someone should cut her head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

Please ignore any threats or other violent suggestions, I'll retract them once my antipsychotics kick in.

I mean well but sometimes my anger gets the best of me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

I handed out a resume to a cafe owner yesterday who declined my resume and told me minimum wage was too high and penalty rates are an out of date concept; therefore she will be unable to hire anyone until the government fixes those things. According to small cafe owner woman person.

I mean obviously you're the best person to inform of this problem. Just go and change the legislation to get yourself hired.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No need to effort post, Cook Suck summed it up pretty well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just wreaks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

Are you serious?

I mean I know the whole borrowing money thing implies you cant afford a house, but if you actually cant afford the repayments, no one is holding a loving gun to your head to take on the loan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Adnar posted:

Renting loving sucks especially if you want to settle in an area (i.e once you have kids that go to local schools) or you want to have pets at all.

Cats are not really a good reason to go into crippling debt you cant afford.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

markgreyam posted:

^^^ My cat is the only thing that keeps me sane. Granted I moved back with my parents after getting divorced and then going broke, and now stereotypically live in their garage, but I have my cat :3:

Oh yeah, my dog did the same when that happened to me, but My parents love her to bits and I know shes got a good home with them. I wouldnt buy a house just to keep her around anyway - every place I rented I just took her and didnt tell anyone and it was never an issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"Trees are killing our motorists, remove the trees"

*lines roads with telegraph poles*

EDIT: I am a certified hoon and I want MORE tree-lined roads. They are awesome.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 3, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

I have a politically aware English lefty friend who is coming to Australia and doesn't really know anything about it, and has asked for reading recommendation to get an overview of history/politics etc. What's a good longread that sums up the entire bizarre and disgusting asylum seeker debacle, for the benefit of somebody who hasn't done the obstacle course of smoke and mirrors for the past fifteen years? Like, every now and then I wonder what it must look like to somebody who arrives from overseas, to find Australia frothing at the mouth at a tiny group of political refugees. Virtually anything good that I can think of having read comes from the understanding that you've already been schooled in the propaganda, I want something for fresh eyes.

I know Christos Tsiolkas wrote that piece in the Monthly a while back, but I didn't like it, largely because it does what Howard wanted everybody to do and frames it as a question of general immigration rather than the resettlement of people in danger for their lives.

These threads.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know whats dumber, renting a 1 bedroom flat for $500 or paying an equally retarded mortgage for the same thing (which I have no idea the actual cost of, because I am too scared to look)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Regardless of who it is, I have never had any intention of paying for a house twice. I made sacrifices so now I live in my own house with no regular repayments.

I have just finished paying off my house. I saved up for four years to get a large deposit (hence much less interest) and paid my house off in two. My income is about $55k a year.

What the gently caress? do you live in a studio with a 90min commute to civilization?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"chicks, this is a great day for you. The Tattersall Club now allows birds to enter the premises. So I guess now that my job of achieving gender equality is done I will step down from the job of Minster for Women and close the Ministry entirely."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Almost 700 koalas have been culled in the Cape Otway area of western Victoria because of "overpopulation issues", the state's Environment Minister said.
The secret cull was done under the previous Liberal government in 2013 and 2014 near the Great Ocean Road.
The koalas were captured and sedated before being put down by wildlife officials.

Maybe we should have a secret LNP cull?

:(

cant they just relocate them? this is pretty poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry to jump back like a dozen pages but I don't get to check the thread too frequently.
What you mentioned about your mother leaving you a bit of money, sadly, and I don't know if it's considered wrong to think this, but when my mother dies my brother and I will inherit a really decent rural property that either of us could quite comfortably live on, or make investments from afterwards even with capital gains tax considered. I don't know if it's a bad way of thinking to rely on this happening in the future? Granted it probably won't happen for another 25-30 years (hell, my mum will probably outlive me anyway). But honestly with so much information coming from both sides of the 'to buy or not to buy' is it really a safe thing to consider just sitting on my hands floating around and waiting for that to happen? In Sulla's post with pros+cons of home ownership (also :golfclap: to the person who lol'd @ "Ownership" in the name) honestly the cons seem to far outweigh the pros.

A lot of my friends have all bought into the sprawl of the outer western Suburbs in Melbourne and a couple of them have even got bought their second property, but their mortgages are loving huge and I have a small suspicion they're just doing the "BUYBUYBUY" thing because it's the thing to do. Idk, at the end of a 12 hour shift and I'm probably rambling. Honestly the whole thing scares the living poo poo out of me.

Its pretty much the only way anyone our age is hoping to pay off their homes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

It's loving criminal and stupid how remuneration goes up by percent of your wage. Just give everyone $5k a year raises whether they're in the top bracket or the bottom. It would benefit the bottom paid a lot more and stop the top earners from getting so far ahead.

Also, change the entire economy and concept of inflation while you're at it.

No you see it goes up by a percentage because that way everyone gets the same and it's fair.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

at this point, whats the difference between russia and australia?

The temperature.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Is the M4 a euphemism for Australia's arsehole?

Frequently overused and backed up twice a day?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is the point of widening the M4 it did sweet gently caress all for congestion on the M5.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can you guys go back to posting good articles and debunking poo poo that isnt a lazy troll? its way more useful and enjoyable to read than kill ur self repeated over and over.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How the gently caress do they even suppose they are going to tax every single international purchase made on the internet? Customs wont do it, its not worth it until its over a grand.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

I am undecided on whether or not it's a good thing that my company is moving towards a biometric clock on/off system.

I'm leaning towards bad.

We use one and yes its a loving poo poo thing. The amount of annoying bullshit tickets it generates is just ridiculous.

also it doesnt support scroll wheels. it was written in 2013 and looks like windows 3.1 software.

Not only that it has the most convoluted enrollment system of any kind I have ever seen.

EDIT: its especially dumb because it requires you log in with a PIN code first and THEN scan your finger. so even if the finger print is correct, its redundant.

In other news: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...313-142yn3.html

why would anyone think this is at all a good idea.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 13, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Because I am distrustful of big business in general. After reading a bit more detail it looks like they will use it to scrimp on hours paid. If I clock in 15 minutes before I'm due, they will ignore that and make my start time the official time. If I log off 3 minutes early they will dock me 3 minutes pay. I'm not sure if I work 5 minutes that they will pay me 5 minutes extra.

we have service reps all over the place that were using it originally, and then they rolled it out to all operation/admin staff also so that we only had one payroll system in use to make it easier for everyone.

Our boss keeps reassuring us that its just for logging what days you worked and totally not for the obvious benefit of counting our exact in/out times and paying accordingly, however Im sure its only a matter of time until that is exactly why its in use.

Like I said in my previous post, the software is a pile of poo poo, the physical units arent much better, and IT DOESNT EVEN WORK JUST WITH YOUR FINGER PRINT, IT NEEDS ADDITIONAL IDENTIFICATION

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Employment chat for a moment: Why the gently caress does anyone get interns? we have one who apparently has a masters in Comp Sci and he cant follow basic instructions like 'copy this file from this clickable UNC path to your machine and unzip it to the program files folder'

Like hes getting paid nothing and sucking my time reiterating these basic as gently caress instructions to him, often numerous times. Theres no value here at all for anyone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The amount of total loving idiots dying because they think they know better than professional doctors will never cease to amaze me.

Now, I can also add total loving idiots who believe them and spend money on their products tot that pile.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Murodese posted:

Some of it's justified, ie. Andrew Forrest of FMG, worth $2.1b yet his company has never paid a cent of corporate tax

How does this even happen? forget all the obvious 'loop hole' poo poo, like how do you have that much money, that you have that much is also public information, yet the tax dept is just like 'welp!' and nothing happens?

FFS I get told to repay the $400 I 'over claimed' yet this guys tax payments could probably build a loving space ship and they just dont even loving try.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

Last year out of the top 200 Australian companies, 29% paid 10% or less in tax and 14% paid 0. The $100 million+ disclosure was supposed to shine the public spotlight on this so it's little wonder the Libs want to scrap it.

There's lots of factors at play, but you getting told you owe $400 results in you quickly repaying. Going after the big fish can mean years of litigation with the probability of losing.

My problem with this is its blatantly loving obvious they are skirting the law so why cant they just say 'yeah nah mate' and slap them with a bill?

in the mean time, they just hand close to a billion dollars to Murdoch because reasons.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Furthermore if it was dropped tomorrow you wouldnt see much of a change if any in pricing, and if you did it'd creep back up within weeks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Endman posted:

60%+ income tax for the highest income bracket isn't wholly unreasonable.

Yeah because rich people pay all their taxes, as we just discussed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Theres a grey imported Nissan Skyline driving around the Shire with a 'gently caress off, we're full' sticker on it.

A car auctioned off in Japan, fleeing persecution from being too old and hard to register to another land where it can hope to survive, wearing a sticker telling immigrants to go away.

:growing-ironicat:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I guess it'll be awesome when the data is sold to telemarketers and we are all getting non stop phone calls, which in turn creates more meta data, which leads to more reselling of data to telemarketers, causing us to receive nonstop phone calls...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It could just be that Gina Rinehart is a disgusting human to the very core and by SHEER COINCIDENCE her appearance reflects her personality.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lol if you think I'm getting between a nut bag and his rape victim. I'm gonna chill over here pretending not to see him piss at you out the corner of my eye. I got places to be!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

:lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...319-1m3ha9.html

quote:

"How good are you at fixing things?" Stefanovic asked. "What I've got prepared here for you is to put this tyre back on Sylvia's car. All you need to do is put the tyre on".

Mr Pyne quickly threw off his jacket and got to work on an assignment that can challenge any mere motoring mortal.

"Where are the, ah...hang on. Where are the holes? Mr Pyne asked.

"It isn't high enough you loser. It's was a set up, look it is a set up, it was far too low! What about Anthony, what's he doing? Absolutely f-all! Where are the nuts! You know I have to go to the airport with these filthy hands now."

"Not the first time he's said that," Mr Albanese replied.

After a few more moments Mr Pyne largely completed the job.

"The end of the week and he did fix something," Stefanovic said.

Mr Pyne has pledged to reintroduce higher education reforms to the Senate after they were defeated in the Senate on Tuesday for the second time in three months.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Truly a hero we can all get behind.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/man-accused-of-murdering-masa-vukotic-punched-tony-abbott-in-2006-20150320-1m43sg.html

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

How have you been talking about Australian cinema for this long without mentioning Animal Kingdom? Absolutely brilliant film. Shame The Rover was a bit of a letdown.

Was gonna mention this one.

Why do all Australian films have the same vibe though?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its still a fair bit more expensive than buying blocks of usenet access, to access a range of shows I dont really want to watch, and means my connection would be slowed down while its in use, which would be the same timeslot Im usually playing games online.

So Im out. but the pricing makes it nice for people who dont have the hardware or know how to pirate properly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cpaf posted:

I'm pretty sure basically everyone in Australia knows how to pirate poo poo these days, and anyone who doesn't won't be likely to come into contact with Netflix anyway. The real advantage isn't that it's strictly cheaper or more readily available than piracy, but like steam or spotify it's delivered in a way that lets you legally pay for content that you can access however you like and with a structure that ultimately tailors itself to what you like and gives you suggestions and recommendations.

Admittedly like I said I have fibre internet, so I don't have bandwidth issues and don't consider downloading the entire thing to be more practical, but once you start using Netflix you appreciate it, just like steam or spotify/google music or whatever.

we have unlimited 100mbit HFC and I still think its better to pull down TV shows from usenet during the day while no one is home than it is to have 3-4 people streaming the same poo poo 5 times. LAN traffic is free and the storage is already there to keep every episode of every show I ever want to watch, plus movies, and a gigantic dump of raw camera/gopro footage (which is why I have the storage in the first place)

I might get my parents a trial of netflix though they seem pretty content just surfing the FTA channels. They already have access to anything Ive downloaded for them via a WDTV live and a USB stick and they rarely use it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I find it hilarious that they all say they are going to ease congestion on sydneys roads.

Like unless you literally triple the capacity of every major road you arent changing a loving thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why does first dog even bother with the loving art, Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The "No Land Tax" posters are labor?

gently caress me, they could make it a little more apparent. Same goes for the slightly less subtle "teach them both a lesson" posters.

• Locked thread