Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Adept Nightingale posted:

I'm mostly going to keep running my NWoD campaign, but my group's been talking for a little while about trying out Ashen Stars-- maybe this month will be the month.
Yeah Im starting to run that myself admittedly I'm kludging the game system a bit to get it to do what I want it to.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My RPG mood is way too easily influenced by whatever video games or movies I've been watching lately. :shobon:
Pfftt.... Until you can seriously claim that you have drawn inspiration from Jimmy Buffett you have not reached the levels I have.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Quarex posted:

And in both cases, he played the game once, thought it basically sucked but was willing to give it a second chance, and then the second-play through started changing his opinion for 3rd Edition but crystallizing it for 4th. I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.
RAW all healing works outside of combat.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

D&D is the foundation stone of the hobby, the cornerstone it was built off of, and the anchor around its neck.
Weirdly enough if you consider Apocalypse Engine games RPGs then D&D isn't the foundation. The cornerstone of those game are free form improv with completely new sets of jargon placed in which makes it less accessible than it should be.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 3, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Nah dude I do improv. IThere's a resemblance between that and *World games but you're kidding yourself if you think these pulpy games are closer to improv than they D&D. They are a refinement of the collaborative storygame concept but it's not like people take year and a half long courses on how to properly yes, and a cleric.

To come up with character concepts on the top of your head in a relatively smooth manner does take an incredibly long while though. Its why I prefer the Apocalypse Engine games as an intro to improv you get the archetypes down on paper and in a solid form which is far easier than pulling it out of your head like Fiasco forces you to.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

And why do people compare it to improv? It isn't. The rules are actually very trad most of the time. What it has is excellent pacing. With improv RP there is a rhythm when you hand over to other players. Apocalypse World is designed such that every single roll the system calls for takes place at one of these natural handover points. This causes as little disruption in the flow of improv-RP as possible. And because of the non-binary resolution mechanics, it adds things other than a simple pass/fail outcome. Meaning that the mechanics not only minmally disrupt improv RP, they add richness, detail, and inspiration. But only where you would stop and hand over to another player. Getting that degree of pacing and variety in the resolution mechanics is not simple design either. But once again it is elegant.
The reason why Im comparing it to improv is because depending on the format there can be little to no difference between what you just described and an improv show.
EDIT:
Im not saying they are exactly the same because there is a huge spectrum of improvisation and with all that entails but having a randomizer in improv like dice is a commonly used tool.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 3, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Quarex posted:

It really is great to think back to how the cleric was actually seen as the worst class for nearly every group I ever played with, despite it magically ascending to be the best class somewhere along the lines when I was not paying attention. Probably again due to the social contract nature of the cleric's job being HEAL EVERYONE ELSE, STOP MAKING YOUR OWN DECISIONS
It is one of the best classes as long as you ignore healing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should be using GUMSHOE. Use GUMSHOE, please.
GUMSHOE is a weird system in that its entire exsistence is rendered moot if you know what GUMSHOE is trying to do.
EDIT:
Its also kind of a wonky system in a few ways and gets more fun once you figure out some of the weird eccentricities of it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 5, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Well I just found the time cube of RPGs....
EDIT:
Or I've somehow managed to find myself into the plotline of a rather bizarre game of Mage.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 7, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

GAME CHANGER-- a game of changing the..... the "Reality" Matrix itself!!! YOU are a "Matrix Wizard".... It is the memetech "magic" (Artwork that contains wisdom knowledge) that is the building block of human reality.

The "MEMETECH SPELL PACKET" is the 1 unit of info on a piece of paper that contains the Artwork and infotech... all you do is take this one piece of paper and spread the info..

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A question that came up tonight after the game (Last Stand, for the record): are there signs of anybody playing 5e? I don't even know anybody that owns the books in person. Is Pathfinder pretty much just kicking its rear end, or what?
Honestly from what I've seen its pretty popular.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

It depends on what show you are trying to emulate as there are often drastic differences in the fighting shonen genre. For example JoJo's Bizarre Adventure often structures its fights like a puzzle with strength taking a backseat to intelligence.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

look when someone figures out how to properly do a Jojo game I will be first on the block to try it out
It would somehow have to involve Gumshoe in some form because Im not joking about the fights often taking on the form of a procedural. Its really one of the greatest things about that show are that the characters are really not that inept.

gradenko_2000 posted:

RPGPundit and Zak S are credited as consultants for D&D 5th Edition, and without getting too deep into the rabbit hole, they're very much bad people. While I do not know how much they actually contributed to the content of the game, the fact that they were recognized at all speaks very ill of how WOTC has chosen to manage the brand and the community.
Don't forget Mearls and someone else at WoTC who actually went out of their way to harass a Paizo employee on Twitter.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

moths posted:

Isn't Unchained supposed to be a big deal change?
Yes the book that promises such exciting and new changes such as a not lovely Monk is really something I'd be expecting big changes from. /end sarcasm

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Numenera, based on every detailed review I've read on it, is Monte Cook as gently caress. It's a game where you have three classes, Fighter, Wizard, and Fighter/Wizard, and Fighters get special abilities like "+X to damage" while Wizards get to warp reality in bigger and better ways. Meanwhile, your stats are also your spendable resources which means that as your Fighter spends points to do stuff they run a bigger and bigger risk of getting chumped.

It's also full of hilarious, half-baked implementations of things that other games have done before and better, like its "GM intrusions" being an awkward not-quite-compel ala Fate and how certain character backgrounds do things like "pick one of your fellow PCs, whenever you botch an attack it winds up hitting them instead."

Even the setting, which is ostensibly a big draw, just makes me think of Gamma World, a much better game in most respects.
Well you're forgetting the problem too in that technically speaking how you get XP is completely divorced from anything related to Dungeons and Dragons. I wouldn't mind the game as much if it was a Dungeon Crawl but it isn't supposed to be a Dungeon Crawl which makes the whole Wizard, Fighter, Rogue distinction really odd.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh and then Shanna Germain started mocking natives on twitter and Cordell accused people of just wanting to be outraged. :v:

So wait they managed to take the premise behind the Twilight Zone and somehow managed to make it the most boring milquetoast thing imaginable. Ahhhhhhhh........

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

I do hope that you are trolling us here rather than have been listening to the RPG Pundit.
It never is not amusing seeing people fall for FAU's antics.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

They're a gonzo element in a setting that was attempting to be deep (or pretentious, take your pick), and thus rather a jarring shift on tone.
The entire setting is pretty dam off kilter. Remember the Modron's plane of existence was in disarray until they met magic calculators who actually calculated the right values needed to cut the gears that Mechanus consists of. And mind you that is par for the course of Planescape.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Covok posted:

What? I just meant it's a good way to get people to not come back. Repeat business is vital to the long term success of a business.

Edit: Also, for reference, he is yelling at customers for buying an edition he dislikes.
You spelled customer wrong... :ssh:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Raggi is mostly just kinda dumb, attention hungry, and a bit creepy. The bar for how terrible this hobby can be has sadly risen since people last paid active attention to him.
I don't know if just a bit creepy counts for a man who really likes a movie that features actual animals being mutilated on camera.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

clockworkjoe posted:

Gen Con isn't going to let a game that breaks their anti-harassment policies in its own loving rules be an official game.
Hahahah.... How quaint.... You honestly think they give a poo poo about their policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

This.

Eating healthy and light exercising is hardly a radical and dangerous move.
Yeah it can kill me you dipshit.

• Locked thread