Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hey who wants to stop in (lovely Persian Gulf Port here) 20 times!!!

GUARDIAN resulted in 7th fleet MCMs only going to Korea and back. But that's probably better because 7th fleet MCMs' primary mission is revolving door inspections, so underway time is a bit of a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

theAcidQueen posted:

someone who has shown the capability to injure/kill someone with his behavior.

Isn't this what we're paid to do?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Happy New Years Navy Thread!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Pipes in my shower are frozen. I don't think Japanese houses are built for the cold--make sure you don't forget to run your water. :doh:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hobolicious posted:

So, looks like I'm gonna be stuck going recruiting for shore duty. While I'm excited to leave the ship finally, I find it hard to imagine myself trying to sell the Navy to teenagers and college dropouts, after the absolute lovely time I've had on sea duty. Any tips on how to deal with the possible moral dilemma that is lying out the rear end to meet a quota?

Maybe this is the wistful thinking men alone in Japanese bars do, but remember that for many of the people you are recruiting, this is the only way they're going to get out of whatever stagnant situation they're in at whatever town they're from. The next four to eight years of their life are probably going to stick either way, but they can suck where they are, or they can suck in a way that will make them hate their lives and the organization they work for in a productive way that pushes them back in to the world angry, with a college program available and pivotal years away from meth and laziness, and a perspective that will follow them for the rest of their lives that they were never going to get otherwise. And, if they're smart enough to take advantage of it, potentially more.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I'm going to Japan in a few months. I'm a dirty dirty SWO, and I'm curious as to how much I'll love/hate my life. Mind, I wanted to go to Japan, and I wanted to be on a Destroyer, but I got a "great" job. I'll be in Yokosuka, so any places that I HAVE to go?

Look for Nigerian bars in Roppongi, always a good time. Don't go unless they offer you a deal though.

Real advice:
I basically took the first train to Tokyo whenever I could get off the ship, so I don't know anything about Yoko itself.

Robot Restaurant is stupid tourist trash but still awesome anyway, gently caress the haters.
Find the go kart stuff before somebody makes it illegal.
Tokyo tower / sky tree is worth it for the view.
Whatever hobby or interest you have, somebody in Tokyo likes it more than you, so make a list of things you care about and Google for each item and tokyo so you can find your version of an 11 story pen store.
And probably Super Potato in Akihabara which is overpriced but well organized for nostalgia assuming you're the kind of nerd that posts here.
Shibuya station at rush-hour is something you need to see, but don't plan to take the train at that time; find something else to do nearby.

Buy a PASSMO or ICOCA card ASAP (they're cross compatible so don't worry about getting the wrong brand). They're 5 dollar metro cards that you can supposedly get refunded but you'll forget and keep it as a souvenir. You can go to a ticket machine and put your piles of yen change on there as long as they're 10 yen pieces or more, so do that. Then just stroll through the turnstile without having to figure out ticket fares or mess with the change machine.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Right before I Ieft a bunch of Sailor town bars seemed to be on the brink. Someone (a civilian I guess) needs to do a documentary on these business owners. There's a whole lot of interesting questions involving safety nets (I doubt there's insurance for Okinawa sailors hosed up again), their social roles (If you're a Japanese citizen that hates us, do you like Sailor town and Philippino Alley because it keeps Americans away or hate those places because they cater to Sailors. Involvement with foreign Intel agencies? And there's probably a really depressing piece in there about the person who just crumbles under insurmountable debt and organized crime pressures after trying to weather a storm like this for a few months.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

For those considering orders to Japan, we are now banned from celebrating the 4th of July. Do with that information what you will.

Short sell tiny American flag manufacturer stock. I wonder if any of our troubles stem from the fact that we treat all of Japan as if it were a single contiguous region.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

I once stood by the most bashful officer for 90 minutes before he could get a weak tinkle. Was getting so bored I was about to offer to suck start it just so we could be done.

I live in constant fear that this will be me, but then it always works out just fine. Just an hour of inexorable terror while I wait for the chance to display my peeing prowess. I bet my whiz watchers can smell the fear and assume they're up for a 45 minute ordeal.

Edit: also describes every time I've taken the deck.

piL fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 19, 2016

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

An old man who spent his entire career training to go toe to toe with the Soviet Union doesn't like LCS?!? :monocle:

For all the (much of it deserved) making GBS threads on the LCS program, I've learned more about being a professional mariner and driving ships in 2 weeks of LCS OOD school than all of ADOC and BDOC. At least these SWOs will go out into the fleet and take some of that knowledge with them.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I distinctly remember an ex-LCS-DH screaming about how wind was made on the bridge when a squadron gave us a terrible anchoring point the we would later have to move on and reanchor from. Before that, fetch was a thing that dogs and children do.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Well yeah, obviously.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Heard a lot of frustration over this today. I'm not sure if the abruptness as a bad idea or a good idea--it's a huge change, but dragging it out may have been worse.

The loss of tradition is painful, but I think the rating system as is has hampered the Navy's ability to respond to configuration of ships and technological developments.

Exhibit 1: ETs, ITs and ICs have a ton of overlap and a ton of 'someone else's job' syndrome, but it's too late to reconfigure everyone into 'Radarmen' 'commsmen' and 'networkmen' and who knows how long those distinction in skillsets would be meaningful? Throw FCs in the mix too.

Exhibit 2: how else do we get rid of MAs?

Exhibit 3: CTs. I think. I don't really understand what they do or why they aren't EWs, except for CTIs. Who could probably be ISs with language training. See exhibit 1.

Exhibit 4: Minemen -- AOs ashore, BM/OS/GM hybrid at sea. Oh, you've done eight years working in deck? Time to put you in charge of CIC--you need experience if you're going to make chief. You're a master of sonar? Too bad, this rating exam was 80% about how to build mines! Meanwhile, even if you turn out to be an awesome deck mineman, you're going to go to a bunch of BM schools, get trained to do BM stuff and then work as an AO ashore.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There are a lot of people who thought that you were supposed to call people by their rate over the 1MC.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

buttplug posted:

The Navy does not exist to prepare people to transition to the private sector, it exists to fight wars. I know that's a pretty fuckin' obvious statement but I keep hearing people talk about how these changes will "set people up for getting out".

It's good to help people ease folks' transition to the civilian world, but that is not our job.

Somewhere over the last 20 years, the ability to defend industry stopped being tied to the ability to defend land and got tied to the ability to defend networks, which it turns out is nobody's job. It's the wild west and Mars Needs Cowboys. These changes will absolutely help the rates tied to cyber. They will probably help nobody else (maybe HMs?), but, if the military can successfully transition to civilian style training for IT/ET types and add that training to its FC/CT/IC types before they get it, it will contribute to the security of the United States.

If the military can create a surplus of skilled manufacturing labor / technicians (it can't, especially when you consider that Hyundai, Daewoo, Kawasaki and Samsung have more shipbuilders than work right now), that would also contribute to the security of the United States.

This change isn't about super awesome resumes for people in the Navy. It's future proofing against the next iteration of dissolving Radiomen, and then necessary reconfiguration thats going to follow 15 years later. It's sinking the morale costs now while retention is less important than normal so nobody has to drop the next bomb on the guys. This reorganization will reduce the 'costs' of future very necessary reorganizations.

I think people are right to distrust the organization, I think the comms on these change feel disrespectful, but I also think that Sailors would find a way to complain about Free Blow Job Wednesdays, and it's probably pretty easy for flag level Os and DOD Civs to come to the conclusion that 'gently caress it, any change is going to just piss everyone off anyway--they literally thought it was the death of the Chief's mess when we said they weren't allowed to rape each other based on arbitrary latitudes anymore'.

Also, just be honest about why you don't want to go reserves. As far as examples of decisions made by an approaching dysfunctional organization that has assassinated it's leadership and been consumed by its own horrific beauracracy, this navadmin rates equal to 'what should I have for lunch?'. You don't want to go reserves because the pay and benefits don't make up for the costs of the job and that the Navy has no more heroes. The end. Most people that talk like you will hammer their plows to swords if the call comes and God bless you for it.

If you need me I'll be in the drunk thread.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Null Integer posted:

Computer Network Defense may be small, but we do exist.

I meant for America as a whole, not just the DoD's networks.

If Canuck tanks roll over the border OPLAN MAPLE SYRUP gets activated, troops mobilized, missiles fly, politicians yell externally instead of internally, and things happen to push back the Red and White menace and preserve our very similar but much less polite way of life. And this is a well structured concept that doesn't much depend on what American citizen's or state's land is attacked because humans have been protecting territory for thousands of years and 'kill the other guy to make them stop' is relatively universally recognized as the solution.

Converse that when an American company's data hosted on a transnational corporation's server's in Singapore are attacked by who-knows-who-from-who-knows-where, I'm sure that the American company calls the police or the NSA or whoever, but the actual acts and decisions of defending their networks are going to be their employees or the security firms they hired. It's comparatively mercenary.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Laranzu posted:

Removing the entire framework and adding in a NOS isn't changing anything. They blew up everything without a plan for no gain.
We don't really know if there is or isn't a plan, we just know it hasn't been communicated to us. All that really has been communicated to us is 'stop saying rates, more changes are on the way' and that's enough to enrage the entire Navy so if there is a plan on what comes next (and there probably is), part of that plan may be get this painful part over with first and let the sailors adapt so they don't kick, scream and rail against the follow on components of the plan.

quote:

Thats the point of the GI bill and the experience gathered from working the positions. Its not a primary goal of the fighting force. Especially if the jobs aren't there on the outside.
It's not in the members of the fighting force's lane, but long term industrial capacity is something that suits should be (and I think are) considering. People are aware, for example, that the 80s and 90s tanked employment for Russian shipbuilding and as a result there is now a huge lack of management talent that is affecting Russia's ability to put hulls in the water cost effectively. If people are analyzing those effects for other nations, I hope they're looking at them for ours.

quote:

If they dissolve some skill community, or make retarded training decisions it still won't make a difference the change occurred. There was no need to explode everything. The framework for crosstraining already existed in the idea of training granting an NEC. Expand the system to allow multiple rates to attain the same NECs. Revamp the training pipeline to add more NECs for critical and necessary skills that can fit across boundaries.
So then rates exist, but they describe neither jobs people do or training they've received? You should be equally upset at the idea of turning rates into frats.

quote:

Again; The changes add nothing and cost too much. There is not any thought put into how to implement them. You can't take out an entire framework without having something to replace it. Change the currently existing framework until there is a fully thought out idea to replace it.
Right now the framework is exactly the same as it was a week ago, except for the names. Maybe they haven't thought of the next step at all and are just shooting from the hip--but I suspect the plan exists and just hasn't been shared with us yet. I'm still optimistic I guess.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Admiral PACFLEET, XX3 Timmy, USS _______. Good morning sir, why are MRC cards so hard to understand?

Pretty sure he received some extra 3M training from his Chief's mess immediately following that all hands call.

ADM Davidson stopped by SWOS while I was there to remind the Surface Warface community to be humble, and at the end of it told us that he was going to be there for the next thirty minutes, and so were we, so we should ask some questions or it was going to be pretty awkward. I don't think questions helped.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

He was an aviator, right?

Yup. And I couldn't remember if it was C7F or PACFLT, but it was the same AHC.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Davidson is pretty awesome TBH. One time I watched him bore into the soul of one of his Admirals after that Admiral gave the most SN level response I've ever heard out of an Officer. Davidson's deadpan "I'm not loving around" was awesome. I then had to brief him next, and knowing he was short on time, I mentioned that I would make it quick. He then made a point of making time and spent 5 minutes asking me about myself before taking the brief.

Dude is legit. Also, he's a SWO.

Nice! He seems very serious and like he wont put up with garbage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

So, for those of you thinking that the Navy had a grand plan for this rate disestablishment thing and they would start to roll it out after the announcement: think again.

I got the latest round of "Leadership Talking Points" from our FORCM and the Navy has just now established the working groups to figure out how everything is going to work now. No one, at any level, has any idea what's actually going on, or what the future will look like.

SURFOR FORCM said 'I dunno?'

Well, I guess I strongly believe that rate disestablishment is a good idea and also strongly believe the Navy is on track for loving yet another good idea. Has SURFLANT FORCM said anything?

On the other hand, nothing is different but numbers instead of rates. But id like a plan to exist.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

IratelyBlank posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the engineering duty officer thing being a miserable existence? I'm on track to direct commission in February as EDO in the reserves

I only know one EDO, and he is an amazing officer, loves his job and, after two at sea tours, gets to go to one of the best universities in the world for a living. From talking to him, it seems like a well organized and managed community. I have no knowledge on how the reservist part will affect you, but see above.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Howard Phillips posted:

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land.

Your largest talents are difficult to calculate and plenty enough SWOs suck at learning the most important lessons to take with them that even if employers knew wtf you did, they'd have every right to worry. You are, after all, management potential with no on-hand. All threat with few benefits.

I'm still in, so of course I'm completely insane. But your skills and and experiences are difficult to represent and there are lots of bad lessons you could have learned in addition to good. My expectation is that, unless you were one of the lovely ones, you're going to excel at a variety of tasks because you can organize, lead, and give-a-gently caress about things you don't give a gently caress about--so my recommendation is turn those general traits to specific experiences and accomplishments ASAP by taking the best role you can find, blowing it out of the water while pursuing next level qualification/schooling and killing that simultaneously (because you're 50% coffee by mass) and then having a bitching package in two years. But immediately, you should expect to rate poorly compared to others who just went straight into that job.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If you drive to Newport they'll probably write you orders eight or so days earlier than when they would otherwise so you can make the drive and you'll be paid as an E-5 for eight extra days. Then the orders they carve for Pensacola will also include time for the drive. Newport sucks without a car. That doesn't matter in OCS but suddenly it'll be everything if you roll an ankle and sit in medical for two months or, if you graduate but your school in Pensacola doesn't start for three months and so you live as a transient in Newport for 90 days.

Bring your car. Tell your recruiter that you're driving. Tell the people at Newport you're driving. Tell the people in Pensacola you're driving. Keep your receipts. They'd rather you drive it than ship it and so do you.

The fast track has to do with filling slots. Consider this your last lucky day for the next eight years. Remember that Navy OCS is a LARP for USMC OCS and enjoy the weird Stockholm syndrome you'll get.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
They got rid of eating by the numbers a couple of years ago, and poopy suits left soon after. Now they wear navy sweats and the terrible thin all weather coat until you 'earn' uniforms.

You definitely shovel a ton of snow (or did circa 3 years ago). Contractors do most of the base but they had us shoveling snow around the building and the COs parking spot. Of course you're never as incompetent as you are when you're an officer candidate, so that probably goes away as soon as there's a weather related injury.

A few get their smoking hot wives issued during DEP when fear, unpredictability and convenience grow to motivate the issue. A few motivated officers will pick them up during 1st or 2nd tours if they're FDNF; it's one of the major milestones considered for command boards but I think most will get them during their shore tour after two divo tours (this is SWO gouge obviously, designator matters, JAGs need one in order to apply, SUPPOs first shore tour, pilots during their first leave period etc).

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
To: you@SA.mil
Subject: CASREP 10001 Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine Sprays Lava is due

nt
V/R,
P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sorry if any San Diego Sailors get yelled at for being late today. Your CoC is frustrated that yet again everyone picked the same turnover day, which is the same day for everyone, and no coordination happened. They're frustrated that, even though literally every one of them has seen this before and literally everybody had a chance to look at it and see the danger coming, nobody noticed, or cared, or, if they did, took effective action.

• Locked thread