Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/02/iranian-missile-test-disrupts-navy-sapr/

So is this a violation of OPSEC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mad Dragon posted:

#justgenyproblems

It took two LTs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

What a stupid app. Who the hell would want to pull up a scanned PDF regulation on their cell phone, ever?

SWOs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I think my favorite saluting story comes from a friend visiting his brother at Great Lakes for some ceremony.

After picking him up at the barracks he was walking back to his car when he noticed a sailor, well over a block away, standing at attention and saluting. He thought nothing of it and kept walking/talking with his brother. After several seconds of this he noticed that the sailor was still standing at attention and saluting. He commented to his brother, who told him that he was very likely saluting him, still well over a block away. So he hesitantly returned the salute, wherein the sailor then dropped his salute and continued on, presumably to salute and confuse the poo poo out of another officer from really loving far away.

In general I absolutely hate missing salutes but goddamn there is a lot of saluting in any given day.

He could have just ignored the dumbass.

quote:

Salute at a distance at which recognition is easy, normally within 30 paces. Salute when the person being saluted is about six paces from you or at the nearest point of approach. Hold the salute until the person saluted passes you or returns your salute; then end the salute. Accompany your salute with one of the following greetings:
1. From first rising until noon—“Good morning, . . . ”
2. From noon until sunset—“Good afternoon, . . . ”
3. From sunset until turning in—“Good evening, . . .”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Well yeah, but he did it because the (probably slightly terrified) recruit didn't deserve to just stand there like an idiot while he walked all the way up to him.

Of course boots deserve to look like idiots.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: Jesus you guys seem to get pretty bent out of shape over evals.

Mostly because it's a retarded system that is based on this dumbfuckery:

buttplug posted:

What are you freaking out about? It's a frocked E5 eval after only 2.5 years in. Yes, it is going to look like "bottom of the barrel" that's literally how the system works, even if you're the biggest cock on the block. You 6 are literally the most junior E5s at the command, of course you're going to get bare minimum Ps.

The name of the game isn't about getting straight perfect marks across the board, it's about upward-trending. You will undoubtedly continue to trend upward in your new rank, but it would do you a disservice to be frocked and rate an MP/EP and then have to demonstrate progress from that point. Trust me, a P/3.0 on a frocked eval is a GOOD position to be in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

How is that dumb? For boards they want to see upwards career trajectory, it makes no sense to give you an mp or ep immediately. The system is set up that way because that's the way they want it to run. If they changed what they looked for and no longer gave a poo poo about upward trends than yea sure, it's dumb.

"Looking for upward trends" as the most important part of a performance evaluation is completely asinine in a way that only career military can come up with.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Any gouge on resignation process for SWO?

Getting closer to that minimum service requirement time and will probably be looking to get out straight from 2nd tour due to being over 30 and not wanting to delay starting my full time grad school just to take a shore duty.

How far out are you supposed to notify CoC and PERS41? Also any advice on how to properly communicate intentions for maximum QoL until resignation papers are actually dropped?

Per MILPERSMAN 1920-090, send in your resignation at least 9 months but no more than 12 months before your date of resignation. The format for the letter is in the same document.

For communicating intentions, hell if I know. I left active duty while stationed on a carrier. My entire chain of command was aviators and the only thing they said about it was "I have no idea why any of you guys would ever stay in."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Can I get out at MSR even if PRD is past when obligation ends?

IIRC, you have to finish out your current set of orders.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Trigger Warning, LCS talk

Classmate of mine from Academy days is the XO of an LCS and I got to go onboard today. Have to say, it was pretty loving awesome. He tells me O6 SWO types that come aboard can't seem to process the fact of things like people sitting down on watch, etc. Really cool to see up close and personal. Seems to be a really good deal for enlisted sailors. They have any opportunity to get quals they could never dream of getting on more traditional Navy ships and my buddy's direct quote to me was "We're only as formal as we need to be." The manning is so lean that pretty much everyone does everything. Its pretty amazing that the Navy was willing to try so many radical departures from surface SOP for this ship.

Which bridge watchstations are actually seated?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Everyone cleans (including the CO and XO), there is no exterior painting (aluminum hull and all that), and very little maintenance is actually performed by the crew. I forget the exact number but a very high percentage of the crew is "gainfully" employed when they are underway. I get the cynicism but the concept of how this ship operates is pretty apples and oranges different from your standard Navy ship.

All of them. I was on an Independence variant and the CIC is actually integrated into the bridge which is kind of neat too.

Hm. I can get some of them like helm and charts, but OOD and CONN should be moving around a lot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TsarAleksi posted:

Is getting qualified OOD something you're worried you might get forced to do? That only happens to dirtbag SWOs

Some ships try to make the dissociative state sea tour flyboys qual.

e: spelling

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 1, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know a handful of goons or former goons that are all mostly normal off the internet. I don't know any fat goony spergs.

I have knowingly met one goon offline, back in 2006 before I joined the forums. He was morbidly obese and did the "stairs" thing. It put me off registering for three years.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Any reservists who have volunteered for active duty in here?

Do you mean mobilization or actual permanent transition to active duty sailoring?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i heard going rc to ac is drat near impossible tho. also i dont see why not just mobilize, same bennies and points towards gi bill/retirement, and you have the option of just chillin at home and being a weekend warrior when you get back from mob

Depends on your rate. We just had an IS2 go reserve to active and her package was approved faster than I thought the Navy could do anything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, Rhesus us probably the single most helpful poster in GiP.

Think about that, we're so dysfunctional that a Navy JAG is our star player.

To be fair, JAG is barely military so that's probably why.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

As a previous Pearl Harbor sailor, my favorite part of Battleship is the old crusty captain ordering "All Ahead Flank" as the break the mooring chains.The thought of the Missouri blasting out of the harbor channel at 30+ never fails to put a smile on my face.

I'm not familiar with the channel at Pearl, wouldn't that cause the battleship to scrape bottom from squat like crazy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

go IS bro and do some PPT

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jiro Kage posted:

I have serious issues, I miss the Navy. I am glad I am not still around for their stupid policy of giving 1835s (former 1635s) warfare pins and (so i heard) collar devices.

Collar devices?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Like restricted line, I would assume. I haven't heard anything about that and that would be even more stupid than the IDC warfare pin. Yes, let's have another massive and easy to notice item to prove someone is in the intelligence community.

Currently reserve drilling with ONI and I haven't heard anything about collar devices.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, if anything all of the rumors I hear are about moving the IDC out of the RL community into the URL.

Which is, in all fairness, absolutely hilarious.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

gently caress it make a CS warfare pin. Everybody needs to feel like a warrior.

Any semblance of a standard went away when they created the supply and medical surface/sub/aviation pins.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

No collar devices, but the IDW pin is a real thing now. Some commands take it *very* seriously, and at some its a joke.

You're on your XO tour right? Putting on O5?

Isn't IDWO pin a requirement for retention/advancement like the URL pins?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

I assume you would prefer the latter to the former? you should

Srsly, gently caress DESRONs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DustyNuts posted:

The smart move is to drive and park nearby and ride a bicycle through the gate to work. Or stock up on audio books I guess.

I've never worked at Dam Neck, but I've also never been at a base that I would want to leave a car near.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

squarerandom posted:

Finally got over here to Fort Meade. Staying on the Barracks because apparently 5 month orders aren't long enough for a full PCS move. So gently caress yeah to room inspections, having to pay for wifi again, being 5 miles from the Exchange and having like 5 different security levels on a walk across the block. I don't even think it's possible to get off the base. There's only shuttles to other parts of the base :feelsgood:

Who has two thumbs, bought cereal and milk but doesn't have a bowl. THISSSSSSSS GUY.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

I gained 10lbs since i got in here in Jan. I've been LLD from the first week of February until yesterday but I just ran a 14 minute mile and half so I dont really feel so bad (my max time is 15:30). I'll get back down to 11:00 in a few weeks.

:corsair:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

VADM Tighe is the first women to command a numbered fleet (10th).

:xd:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Can anyone explain to me why the Navy has laser guns, 3D phased array radar systems, real-time tactical data links etc. but all our cruise missiles are subsonic 70s era things?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I'm half way through and this is the basically the best thing that I've read during my career.

E: If half of what is in there comes to pass, it'll be a wild success for the Navy. Holy poo poo.

quote:

Therefore, I am ending GMT as we know it. Beginning June 1st, we will stop all Department of the Navy-directed GMT on Navy Knowledge Online. Command triads will determine if and when training is needed.

:aaa:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

If I'm planning on getting out is it worth my time qualifying EOOW? Still haven't slated but hoping against hope not to go engineering.

Jesus, no. I wasn't allowed to qualify EOOW (CHENG on my first tour would only qualify mustangs) and I went to a carrier to qualify TAO for my second tour. gently caress engineering.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Wow that CHENG sounds like a complete douche nozzle because EOOW is basically a requirement for SWOs to continue.

Yeah he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat, as was the CO. gently caress SWO, and especially gently caress the gator navy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, you had an absolute poo poo captain if he let a DH completely block a major milestone in the SWO pipeline. He looks better by sending out more EOOW qualified officers than not.

I could tell so many stories about that loving CO. For example, he refused to pin a SWO(N) because he didn't want to lose a JO while on deployment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Had the guy been to SWOS? That might have actually came into play. We had a few guys do SWO boards on deployment but none were officially pinned until after so they could go to Rhode Island from home instead of Bahrain.

Yeah, she went two months before deployment with me and a few other JOs.

A while back I was chatting with a guy who was a JO on the Cowpens and we swapped stories. This guy was at least as bad as Graf and in a lot of the same ways.

One time he screamed his head off at the food service officer because his sunny side up eggs were runny. He told me to have my sailors painting over the side underway at night in the rain. I wish I were making this stuff up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
At the beginning of the deployment, a copy of "Mister Roberts" was being passed around the wardroom. By the end, it was a copy of "The Caine Mutiny." Same problem really - how do you tell someone who wasn't there that it really was that bad and that you aren't just a whiner?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry, but how the gently caress do people let this poo poo happen to them? I know people say poo poo like this, but seriously: if that was my CO and I'd be going straight to IG. People might shake in their boots about what the big-bad CO may do to them in retribution, but let's be real. It's the 21st century, if any officer physically accosts or assaults another officer (or enlisted, or anyone else) they're hosed.

I was in Yoko during the Graf era and knew several JOs on her ship (who eventually were cross-decked when she was relieved because the ship was welded to the pier). I've heard all of the stories, and I just don't understand how the gently caress people could sit there any take that. Your career notwithstanding, if your CO physically touches/assaults/hits/throws poo poo at you there's no loving way he or she should be getting away with it.

You got witnesses willing to back you up? If not, you're in deeper poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

The OOD is not the only motherfucker on the bridge. Given any watch configuration, you're going to have an OOD, conn, bright-bridge (or not), QM, BMOW, helm/leehelm, JOOD (or not).

Graf put a Master Chief in loving time-out in CIC. Literally made the man stand with his nose in the corner like a loving child (and he did it). There would have been what, 2-3 DOZEN witnesses?

She threw a full cup of coffee at a JO *in the wardroom during lunch*.

She berated a male ENS so badly during an sea & anchor pre-brief that the dude cried. Yea.

She wouldn't let OPS speak to her directly, he literally had to have a "translator" with him at all times in her presence. Not a joke.

There are 300+ people on a CG and you're in the middle of the loving ocean. The question is more aptly "who DIDN'T see this poo poo going down?"

"willing to back you up"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The true measure of how hosed up SWO land is.

The only place I can think of in aviation where you sometimes get [verbally] abusive people is flight instructors. Everyone can remember That One rear end in a top hat who always yelled at you and made you feel like an idiot. And they don't get called out on it, since the targets are poor little ensigns who are just trying to make it to the next syllabus event. But I'd like to think that even a CO would get shitcanned pretty quick for the kind of physical incidents that you hear about from SWOs.

The poor little ensigns don't know that this isn't just the way things are and the department heads are either the kind of rear end in a top hat who thinks that it's the way things should be or just want to keep their heads down and make it to the next wicket.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

germskr posted:

Start signing your emails as PO1 (SEL) (WARFARE DEVICE) orange juche.

Edit: also start attending CPO 365. They had a clip from "The Empire Strikes Back" when Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp. I think the analogy is that the Chief's Mess is supposed to lift sailors' morale or something like that.

Is there any point to CPO365 other than making sure I don't have any PO1s to do actual work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CMD598 posted:

So how common is twice a day cleaning stations?

Sweepers or all hands field day?

• Locked thread