Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Fucitol posted:

lmfao if ur still in

It's actually pretty funny to watch how poo poo runs these days. No war to fight, but garrison hasn't quite soaked in yet so any little mission that comes our way gets so hyped up you'd think we were getting ready for the loving invasion all over again. I'm talking retarded levels of micromanagement over poo poo you wouldn't even consider that big of a deal during OIF. For those of us with the glass already filling towards retirement it's whatever, but god help the poor bastards who will find themselves under the leadership growing up with the slicksleeve dog and pony show bullshit that's starting to set in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
S1 is supposed to scrub ERBs/ORBs for dwell time before deployments.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

iKon posted:

keep going, I'm almost there

Nah man don't worry about your leave the PAC clerk says it's totally normal for it to take six weeks to come back.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
If the rationale for something is "back in 101st/82nd/1st Cav," it's probably stupid and gay.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Gay all that you can gay. Drinking away the pain has made my relationship with alcohol stronger than most Army marriages.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Cole posted:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202932093941608

this probably happened at like 10am because if the army is on time about anything its about gay poo poo, and this dumbass probably had to stay at work for another 8 hours lmao

Full retard.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

White Chocolate posted:

Burlington community college is right there and you can get a start at the most military friendly school in Jersey. Or so my friends from South Jersey lead me to believe.

JBLM is Fort Lewis, not whatever they're calling Dix these days.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Agenta Khaulan posted:

....how can you even compare the two? Its JBLM or you are a retard.

is army

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

NTT posted:

Was just told I'm gonna get a written counseling for being late to 0800 formation by showing up at 0758

I do this on the regular. gently caress you if you think I'm going to waste 15 mins of my life every day standing around waiting for top to walk out of his office.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

psydude posted:

This is a pretty good assessment of being an officer in general.

Still infinitely better than being enlisted.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Nimmy posted:

Most want Finance and no one wants Infantry? What the hell? Is this common?

It's more common for people to make sane branch choices in OCS because you have more prior service. Most of them know better. In ROTC and the Academies, you have combat arms-heavy cadre pressuring kids to keg-stand the Koolaid. Almost all of them want to be Special Forces Ranger underwater Delta divers. I've seen a kid literally cry over getting Ordnance. Yes, I lold.

Mustang posted:

What's you all's opinion on good officer branches? Everyone seems to be competing for MI and Engineer and a surprising number of people want Finance and ADA. After talking to recycles and people in company's that have already branched apparently infantry slots take up a quarter to one third of the available slots so a lot of people that don't want it are getting it.

Do they do branch detail in OCS? If so, you may wind up being a combat arms Lieutenant for the first few years with some of those branches. Detailing aside, MI is awesome because you get a TS. Medical Service is pretty chill, but I don't think you can choose that in OCS. Finance is rare, but another good pick because on staff all you do is manage the unit's budget. Signal is good if you want to break into IT after the Army. The Logistics branches are a pretty safe bet too, but tend to have a lot of meatheads because they have a lot of slots that young dumb hooahs don't want to fill because they'd rather be jumping out of airplanes and eating snakes.

Infantry and Armor and all that jazz are great if you want to stay in the Army forever and become a General. You will never be a General.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

White Chocolate posted:

Branch QM then go CA. Best way to be. Also: rigger school is the only school I want to go to. Shyeah.

We had like one dude get sent to this school out of BOLC. Won't lie, I was jelly. Are there staff gigs in aerial delivery that can land you at this school, or is CLC3 my last bite at the apple to attend?

Justin Tyme posted:

Can officers reclass like enlisted can?

I never understood the hate for ADA, like cavalry squadrons/19Ds I can understand because they are gay as gently caress about everything ever and deserve their reputation, but ADA is so universally reviled it's kind of funny. (disclaimer: never worked or interacted with ADA outside of gawking at an Avenger calling it a mechwarrior)

Yes, we can. It's called VTIP, but mainly it's for Functional Areas. You stay in the same branch, but you go to a different career field like Space Operations or Foreign Area Officer. Changing basic branches probably ain't gonna happen these days. In the Guard and Reserve I think you can just go to a different Captains Career Course and change units if you want a different branch, but it's probably more complicated than that.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 26, 2015

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Carteret posted:

I know ADA is poo poo from the 16 months I spent working for those assholes. No redeeming qualities. Patriots are pieces of poo poo that cost an insane amount and require secondary and tertiary launches because they are unreliable. Don't tell that to them, however. They are a literal symbol for the boners they have over their jobs.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I don't mind shelling out a couple of bones to no longer look like digitized baby poo poo. We'll see if the first sets to come out are hosed up like it was when they rolled out UCP. I remember my poo poo having foliage-green velcro. You'd think with multicam being like 5 years old there'd be no problems, but then again, Army.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Multicam has the same wear-out date as the regular ACUs, late 2018.

This is what I've heard, too. Multicams in lieu of Scorpion until the wear out date. Too bad I don't have any OCP.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Mustang posted:

Rangers run around benning wearing multicam, you see them everywhere, they stick out like a sore thumb.

They're not sticking out, they're LEADING THE WAY!!!11one

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Sausage
Staff Sausage
Sausage First Class
Master Sausage
First Sausage
Sausage Major

I think it works.

E8 list came out today or yesterday. So many burnt Sausages.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Oh poo poo, welcome back HCT.

psydude posted:

Being a PL is like the only good officer job, other than maybe some cool/obscure functional area stuff like foreign area officer that you can't get until you're O4.

There are no bad officer jobs when you've been enlisted. I have a job right now that very few Lieutenants right out of the basic course would consider desirable. At the end of the day, I set my own schedule. I don't have some mouthbreather with a GED from the Appalachian hinterlands asking where I am. So long as my work gets done, no one bothers me. If my workload is heavy that day, I can pop smoke and do it from home with a beer in my hand if I want to instead of slaving away under the supervision of said mouthbreather from West Virginia. I decide where I want to live, and no one is calling me telling me to mow my grass or police trash around family housing for Spring cleaning. My salary is about 35% higher than the median starting salary for the average chucklefuck with a liberal arts degree lucky enough to have a job. Even my loving car insurance rates are discounted--not because I'm a better drive than you, but because I am a sir. I'm sure there will be soul-crushing jobs and shittier bosses down the line. But it still won't be as bad as being enlisted.

The nobles I always see bitching the most about the Army are the ones who think they're going to be God's gift to corporate America when they get out. Surprise, surprise, Coca-Cola doesn't give a poo poo about how you managed a $1.6 million hand receipt and safety briefed Joe to death every Friday. After taxes, health insurance and all that jazz, you're still making the same amount in take home pay that you did six years ago when you were a Lieutenant. No generous 20 year pension, either. And now you don't have six layers of redundancy and a staff of indentured servants to ensure your job gets done while you surf Facebook after giving a few vague instructions. Is the Army a crappy job? Yeah, at times. But being an officer is like being the corn kernel in the turd. You have no reason to complain when everything else around you is poo poo.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2015

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Cole posted:

1) why are they sending units to korea for 9 months? is that the new thing since 2/9 is apparently getting the ax?

2) lol "deployment" to korea.

This is the new "let's pretend we're not in garrison" thing. CONUS units rotating to Korea and Europe.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Nimmy posted:

I know you're right, but the odds of me moving to Germany without language skills as a civilian is virtually zero. Being the stupid gaylord that I am, I think that I can go there, learn the language, and stick around the country after ETS.

Do you know what unit you're headed to yet? If not, what's your MOS? They've closed a lot of the better duty stations and housing here has some pretty stupid rules that could force you to live on post regardless of your rank. I assume you're a single SSG or below, so prepare to live in the barracks. Europe has been kind to me. Not so much for Ptolemaeus, apparently.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

You're almost as jelly as the donuts I eat every morning after waking up at 8AM and masturbating PT.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Crazy Mike posted:

I just drink

Let's ride this bitch into the ground.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Yeah, I had that for awhile in between AD stints. Find something you enjoy and throw yourself at it. Join a softball team or outdoors group or whatever floats your boat. Being active around good people goes a long way.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Zeris posted:

This is a dumb question but I am over your disability rating, post-9/11 and all that; am I qualified for tricare? I've always used the VA.

You need to have been rated 30% or over by the Army, not the VA. If you have a blue retired ID card, you have TRICARE.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

That article looks like a monkey typed it with his dick.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Stewart's not a bad place to spend your last five months. Savannah's a party town and you've got J'ville and Hilton ahead and Charleston just down the road.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
We're here to fight wars and suck dicks from the back, and we're all outta wars.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
It was the 50's, man. Is it any surprise they chose the Jewish guy?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

stevenolson88 posted:

It feels good to finally say lol at anyone still in the military. After getting my DD214 I went out to dinner with friends still in, and they told me that their battalion commander said that their side burns were at a 200 pt score level, and if they wanted to get them to a 300 pt score level they would have to cut them above their ear lobe. Who knew that when you reached field grade level that you would be forced to get a lobotomy.

Shave those loving sideburns before I recall you off of terminal leave, Mattingly.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
This is a disaster. The best döner joint in town closed at the same time as the nearby cheap biergarten. Someone tell me it's going to be okay.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I am. What's left of it, at least. Ain't much out here anymore except for Graf and K-town. I'll pour down a dunkle and peep some Deutsch butts for you.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
It's really not that bad. I've been on a paid vacation in Garmisch all last month. I'm sure you all had plenty of opportunities to do awesome poo poo and just arenhahahaha I can't keep a straight face. I'm sorry. At least someone's having a good time, right? I'm sure the time will come for me to take a bite out of the poo poo sandwich, but it ain't today.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Welp, just caught up with what's going on with McNally. gently caress. I'll raise a glass or seven to you tonight. That's some heavy poo poo.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Two words: Cuban butts.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I stopped reading and started laughing at trust.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Soulex posted:

I love those people because they always get flabbergasted when you laugh at them in their face

I was thinking about this and it made me smile. I'm not out so it isn't quite the same, but the disappointed look on an NCOs face whenever I blow off something stupid makes me so happy. At the PX awhile ago, I ran in to our ops sergeant major. It was the last day of a four day and I had the I-might-be-homeless stubble going on.

"Hey sir, you really should shave even though it's a weekend. It sends the wrong message. What would the soldiers think if they saw you looking like a hippy?"
"I don't know, maybe I'll ask them sometime. Welp, see you later."
"...okay, sir. See you tomorrow."

Sometimes the shadenfreude is the only thing that keeps me going.

Edit: missed a word

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 13, 2016

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Doing the accident avoidance training while drunk. Peak Army. Seriously lol.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Two loving pages of MRE chat? What human being sorcery is this?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

spacetoaster posted:

Hey everyone I'm the FGO in charge of this staff section. As long as you make me look good to my boss you can LITERALLY do whatever you want. Be lazy, ignore regs, whatever. Seriously.

Bitch please. Staff is about as close to you can get to a normal 9-5 in the vanilla Army. Just make the Major look good and nobody asks why you don't go to morning formations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Hey now my degree in underwater basketweaving makes me totally qualified to lead the peasant horde.

• Locked thread