Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cole posted:

these are the only reasons current standards ever get altered one way or the other. last SMA was doomed from the start because he's basically the face of dumb regulation and there was a drawdown in effect through his time til he retired. this SMA will be a goddamn hero, "one of the guys" just because they want more people in and he gets to be the face of good news for enlisted, rather than the face of dumb regulation.

They said that about Chandler when he got rid of the beret. Mark my words, Dailey will get to be the bearer of some retardery before too long. Something like "soldiers on leave will be required to telephone their command once every three hours, no exceptions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Pesticide20 posted:

Helping with land nav training today my driver and I got a little lost, which is understandable since the dumb gently caress E6 in charge didn't even give us maps. Anyway, here's my current situation.

Thought we could make it through a couple inches of standing water, turns out we couldn't.

Oh, hey, a CROWS II. They ever fix the issue where the thing would break itself and report blockages and servo problems? Mine did that on '09.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
This might not be the best time to bring this up, but I'm thinking about joining up again.

In the reserves.

Of a completely different branch.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
A dude I went to basic with is saying on Facebook that some SSG emailed his personal problems to almost everybody in the Army (with the requisite hundreds of "reply all" responses).

Someone who is still in needs to investigate this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Unless your unit is so completely incompetent that they botch your transfer to the IRR and accidentally cancel your entire obligation

That happened to me when I ETSed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

Is this the case for like 90 year old dudes who just sorta forgot about the Army entirely and never resigned their commission?

Somewhere sitting in a filing cabinet are papers drawn up for Dick Winters' court martial because he never showed up for the orders to Vietnam they forgot to send him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

White Chocolate posted:

Korean War but yeah.

No, he showed up for that one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The Army Times has published the results of the courts martial that took place in August. This one amused me.

Fort Carson, Aug. 5:
Name: Sgt. Maj. Virgil L. Ebrecht
Conviction: By a military judge, pursuant to his plea, of one specification of abusive sexual contact of a child.
Sentence: Reduced to the grade of E-4, confined for 30 months. As part of an offer to plead guilty, a pretrial agreement limited confinement to six months.

How many police calls do you think he'll do before he finally leaves the army?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

Anyone know a good GPS to use for military purposes? Our cadre told us a GPS is a good investment since with the current Army budget we probably won't be getting any good ones, if we even get issued one at all. I was looking into some Garmin wrist GPSs.

I had a handheld Garmin GPS/two way radio that didn't cost that much. You could convert it to MGRS but it was slightly time consuming to input coordinates with just an up/down/left/right input.

Honestly, there's probably a smartphone app that costs less and works just as well. Stick your phone in a Lifeproof case and use that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Being the gunner in a Maxxpro sucks balls. You feel every single loving bump because of the lovely suspension. Just throws you around the turret like a loving ping pong ball.

There's a place on MSR Tampa heading south (south of Kalsu I want to say but my memories are fuzzy now, I can't remember if it was before or after Scania), where recent road repair just loving stops and it's a hard drop from layers upon layers of new asphalt to old lovely asphalt from a decade before.

I don't know how big a drop it really is, but if you're in the turret, it feels like half a loving foot.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
We had gotten a couple Caiman MRAPS, which were pretty sweet, and our leadership wanted us to drive them around for a bit to get used to them. So we just drove the perimeter of Balad. One lap we drove past the entrance of the motor pool of one of the other companies in the battalion we were attached to and saw an MRAP on its side.

On the second lap, there were two.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The SAW was heavier than an M4, sure, but that's not what made carrying it miserable.

It was miserable because of that goddamned stupid mag well. Try to sling the thing and it would just stab you. There's no comfortable way to carry the thing because of it.

So I did what any SAW guy who was also issued a sidearm did once we got to Iraq: I locked it up with the .50 cal and carried my M9 instead.

Mine had the long barrel but the collapsible stock. Because, y'know, why not. It also ate ammo. No poo poo, I found the green tip of a 5.56 round in the receiver when I was cleaning it one day.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Obstacle2 posted:

I want to say someone that as an infantryman, someone would have taken issue with this in my unit.

Our mission was convoy security. If we'd been doing foot patrols, I'd have dragged it out with me obviously.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cole posted:

we had a guy leave his m4 behind one day i guess on accident. he was gunning the 50 cal and lucky for him gunners never leave the trucks on patrol. after that patrol he was like "well gently caress it if i'm gunning i'm just gonna leave my m4 from now on."

lasted about two weeks before he got busted in a hilariously over the top, smoke him for four hours fashion.

I just put it in the back of the MRAP when we were prepping for a mission, along with some ammo. It didn't fit in the rifle rack in the turret, I didn't need the drat thing flying around up there every time we hit a bump, and there was no way on God's green earth you could accurately fire the thing from inside the turret anyway, so why bother with it? That's what the .50 cal was for.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sounds like your inability to aim a rifle stems from a lack of heart.

My lack of heart is documented.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Obstacle2 posted:

You know SAWs work when you are in a vehicle too.

I shouldn't care but man what kind of unit lets people just leave their weapons behind on mission. I thought mine was hosed up.

I didn't leave it behind on missions. I left it with the vehicle while I was wandering around the FOB.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I thought oval office cap referred to the old garrison cap, not the bus driver's service cap.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Did I miss something in the article then? All I saw was them talking about the service cap.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
When my NG unit deployed to Iraq in 09, one of the guys in my platoon was an 11B IRR recall. His HOR was Los Angeles, so his BAH was more than his base pay. Dude made bank on that deployment.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Honest to God, I think that man deserved two Medals of Honor: One for his actions before capture, and one for his actions while a prisoner.

GodDAMN.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

It didn't really help either that I went to a fake bavarian town and got drunk there, and it reminded me of being back in germany and started thinking about a good unit I was in with tons of good dudes, a lot of whom died. Again, sorry.

poo poo, man, that'll do it to anybody. Hell, I'd have understood wholeheartedly if you'd just stopped at "got drunk."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Are you kidding? We're as bad as my dad, can't pull out of the drat driveway.

And that's why I have eight siblings.

Hey now, we were able to hit it and quit it in Vietnam. Eventually.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

That wasn't so much hit it and quit it as it was leaving a nasty divorce experience in disgust.

Again, like my dad! :haw:

I set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

Like... your dad...?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Yeah it was awkward. She's a year and a half older than me.

Did you call her mom?

Dude, your stepmom is cute.

Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?

Your stepmom IS cute though.

Remember when I asked her to the prom?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Teflon Don posted:

All are incompetent fucks.

Let's give credit where it's due at least.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Pesticide20 posted:

Whatever happened to Martello? I'll never forget that picture of his feet after that ridiculously long ruck he went on

Didn't he get outed to his chain of command and had to stop posting?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The ACU pattern got chose because Crye Precision wouldn't give the government a good enough deal on Multicam. From what I understand the only reason they use it now is because they've changed it slightly and don't actually call it Multicam in any official capacity.

Like how the Springfield 1903 isn't a Mauser?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

For those of you that are/were 19D's, did you guys ever use field expedient antennas and such?

The commo stuff they taught in ARC turned out to be pretty interesting/fun. The commo stuff they teach seemed to be new info to the 19D SSG's students in the course. ARC kind of turned me into a commo nerd after using a Harris radio to bounce the signal from Benning to Vancouver off the Ionosphere(?) with an inverted V antenna. Stabbing a knife into a tree to turn it into an antenna was pretty cool too.

I'd like to do some commo training like this with my platoon whenever I get one but not sure how to organize something like this.

Nope, not once.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

Unless you're going to be the PL of a dismounted RSTA/LRS platoon you can leave that poo poo at the loving door because that "useful knowledge" is pretty much exclusively relegated to that sort of mission. Nowadays you can just network a bunch of 117Gs together and have some sort of wifi network or whatever, I dunno, that stuff's for nerds.

Seriously, unless you go to one of those two types of units and ONLY those types of units, don't bother boring your guys with that stuff because they're probably going to be functionally retarded and unable to understand it anyway. Also you probably won't even have the right equipment for it, nor will you have the luxury of having a Harris field office like we had so they can actually teach you how to program the 150 because it's not as easy as punching numbers in the faceplate (protip: you can write two identical programs on two seperate computers and program two radios, but they won't be able to talk because each computer's program will have a unique number key despite everything else being the same). Getting everyone spun up on the 150 effectively is a herculean task and won't be something you can just "teach" your guys if you actually want to incorporate it into your unit's METL.

Did they even give you guys toughbooks to send imagery or do anything useful beyond testing signal strength? Did they teach you how to program it? I only ask because I had to do that poo poo for two years as an 11B RTO and I don't wish that burden upon anyone else unless you are actually going to no-poo poo use it to do your job. Otherwise, focus on more important and pertinent tasks. I have a love-hate relationship with that piece of junk.

tl:dr the army is really gay and gently caress you if you are still in and gently caress you for making me remember that

Seriously, Mustang, your joes will barely be able to operate a SINCGARS set if you're lucky.

I saw this one dude (wasn't a 19D) not even know how to talk into one. No poo poo, he was holding the handset upside down with the loving cord on top.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MurderBot posted:

one weekend a month 2 weeks in the summer.

lol they want to like double this

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Don't read McNally's posts then FYI

I got emailed a list of gear that the army wants back. I found most of it except for four sets of ACUs (why?), a holster, her fleece, the throat protector from body armor (wtf?) and a set of SAPI plates (again, wtf?)

I probably should have just shrugged and said "nope, I can only find her cold weather gear and her rucksack. Sorry!" but then again I have no emotional attachment to her Army gear. We never served together, we just happened to be in around the same time.

They try to charge me, I'll tell them what they can do with themselves.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
DFAS does not mail W2s for deceased service members. The finance office can't print one for me and told me to go to Casualty Assistance. Casualty Assistance tried to call the loving IRS and when that didn't work told me to make an appointment at the local IRS tax assistance office. Because the IRS totally issues W2s.

What the gently caress is wrong with my life.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SumYungGui posted:

The Army.

The Army is what is wrong with your life, and every life it touches.

I got a letter from the Chief of Staff and there was a business card in there. Maybe I should call his office and tell him he's running a shitshow.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Slithery D posted:

It's a shame this is such a sad subject requiring support, because this is the second time I've had to let a great joke go by.

Tell the loving joke you limpdick piece of poo poo. I made a loving joke about my wife's posthumous ARCOM (I got fuckall when I ETSed, she got an ARCOM and didn't even complete her enlistment, loving pog unit lol).

Make me laugh.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Slithery D posted:

Well, to be fair they already failed to retain her.

HAHAHAHAH HOLY poo poo

Oh man, nice.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Slithery D posted:

If it makes you feel better, I've had food poisoning today and dumping "water" from both ends, although I haven't managed a two at once yet.

Man, I wouldn't wish that poo poo (no pun intended) on anyone.

But seriously, that was an excellent joke and I thank you for making me laugh. I had a stressful day and had to leave the Casualty Assistance office before I got myself arrested.

Thankfully I found someone at the Finance office with a semblance of empathy and got her to call another office with access to W-2s, then send it over to her.

Really, you'd think the loving Casualty Assistance office would be better prepared for something like this, particularly if DFAS doesn't mail out the W-2s of deceased service members (what).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Geirskogul posted:

For posterity

I like it. The names of the guilty have been removed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've thought about it, not gonna lie. But let's let the IG do its thing before I start raining public opinion hellfire.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Got a call from CID today. They tell me they're still waiting on the toxicology report and that they're going to start requesting my wife's mental health records soon.

My wife died two months ago yesterday.

Well done CID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

The GREEN WEENIE is a real thing that exists.

And how!

• Locked thread