Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

11b1p posted:

I'll never understand the no shower and no deodorant thing.

I didn't have a choice, the loving commander I went and augmented (25th SBCT) had a hardon for NTC. The guy in charge of coordination of portajohns, food, showers, whatever hosed up royally (more than the actual unit was hosed up) so for the first few days in the box we had 1 portajohn for ~200 people with 2 wagbags each. That's it, no more were given. We were also down to 1 MRE a day for about a week because they forgot to resupply. I would have done anything to take a shower, like seriously, especially after the whole "No hygiene poo poo at the water point" because some females got caught washing their hair.

Then it went to absolutely no lights at night, no glow sticks on the constantina wire so naturally more than a few of us ran into that at night. He neglected to remember that augmented personal like myself, did not have NODS, nor did a large majority of his command.

The worst part was, it was just the TOC part of the goddamn thing. Everywhere else had showers, decent nights of sleep, where he had BUB/CUB stuff going to 2300 or 0400 one morning. Didn't change shift change, didn't care bout much.

He actually flat out told me he hated me after I advised him not to create flyers of wolves attacking horses with the words "Mustangs should watch out, a Wolfpack has been reported in the area" and posting those signs all over Irwin. He and the CSM were a bunch of good ol boy redneck types that had massive hardons for the exercise but really REALLY hosed up on the whole PR side. The CO flat out refused to do any media facilitation until the OC's pretty much told him "yes you will." Where he did a total of one.

That whole rotation was hosed up, and I got lucky that the people that were helping me with my job (I was sitting in an 0-4 Slot. I'm an E-5) got me out of there a few days early. The Officer they eventually put in charge over me was a previous enlisted. You'd think he'd be cool right? No, I personally got yelled at when bullshitting with the Battle OIC and him about fun times in Germany because I said "gently caress" in one of my stories. Saw him yell at soldiers for smoking within 50 feet of a tent. Like it was super bad in regards to regulations. He made my NCOIC write down counseling to one of our two soldiers native to the unit because they forgot like 1 small insignificant thing. I ended up working so much that I didn't have time to take my meds, had a withdrawl and dropped, my NCOIC had to take over for the rest of the day and he said he was going to punch him in the face.

The best part though, was that our PSYOP OIC got caught talking with one of the bad media role players. The next day, there were flyers all over with him in his Class A's and the words "My words are more dangerous than bullets" super imposed over a scene of people dying in the street and crying. poo poo was hilarious, PSYOP got out PSYOPed.

Suntan Boy posted:

Anyone on the active side know anything about declining PCS orders? Specifically for mid-career enlisted within a couple years of RCP, but anything at all is helpful. My Google-fu is weak.

Talk to your branch manager. I got a coworker that is in RCP process and he just was able to cancel his orders to go to Korea, and he gets out in like 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

This entire post reeks of 1-5. When I was stationed in AK at 1/25, 1-5 was where a majority of the west pointers went to. You can imagine how well that unit ran :negative:

Yeah, I don't recall the sister units much, I just remember 1/25 SBCT being poo poo. It was so goddamn bad. 2 GOMARs got put out because 1 soldier decided he was going to steal from the PX or shoppette. Another because a PL was like 3 grids off target during live fire and hit like 50m from friendlies. How he did this I have no idea. He's lucky he didn't loving kill anyone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

11b1p posted:

There is a big difference between wanting to shower and having no facilities, and wanting nothing to do with soap, ever.

Yeah. My roommate in Iraq was like that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hahaha oh my loving God.

Sounds just like it. Depending on your BC, I can imagine exactly how the beating off scene would go. Something something safety something

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I'm working on that

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

He posted the profile, too. Literally "do not wear a uniform under any circumstance". Solid advice that we all should've followed, but someone had to get so messed up that an army doc actually wrote that in his medical file. :(

I've got to see this!

I got a permanent for testicle pain which sucks in it of itself but always dumb that I have to preface every person who reads it as "what you are about read/hear can and might be construed as sexual harassment therefore I need to ask is if this is ok, and if not I need to refer you to HIPPA." Because one person freaked out when I told them about my surgery on said clacker and resulting profile.

Edit: I also was told flat out that I couldn't get a shaving profile by my doc because I was white.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 6, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Delizin posted it in the veteran's thread from November of last year.

Bullet point g: "Wear military boots and uniform for at least 12 hours per day? NO." Sitting is on that profile :stare:

Amazing

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The truth hurts

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Emily trying to get out currently. The cage stories :gonk: no loving way would I do that now. Earlier yes, but as I've seen the "light" so to speak, nothing is going to break my resolve for getting out.

My biggest hinderance to coming to the decision to push medboard was after 8+ years in, I was fairly institutionalized. Like a lot of soldiers who don't know it yet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah 7th ID is one of the bigger names out here. Same with 593rd, I Corps, and DIVARTY.

It's still Army but it's gently caress if you're assigned to them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

Lol, and those are one of my "jobs' as PAO. It's more hilarious than you can imagine.

As a fellow PAO, I've had to endure this bullshit duty with punishment if a question was unanswered for two hours save sleep time.

Edit ^^^

Lewis as a whole isn't bad. But an abusive relationship is still that in any place you call home. I like Wa, and love the fact that weed is legal here cause I'm all about self medication when I get out.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 11, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Suntan Boy posted:

In other news, branch's answer to maybe not going to Korea then being stateside for 4 months before RCP was "dec or go gently caress yourself", more or less. Decisions, decisions.

My coworker was faced with the exact opposite of this. Stateside then Korea for 4 months then RCP. He finally somehow convinced them that it was retarded.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This. loving this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Don't forget your JST either. I got like 40 credits towards my associates in arts because of that.

Also there is sometimes something your college can offer but often has a different name. They have a class called Prior Learning Assessment or Life Experiences or some poo poo that you take, are super loving easy, and help you write a resume based on poo poo you did in the Army. Squad Leader? Leadership. S6? Introduction to computers and a slew more I'm sure.

It costs less to get a credit that way and counts as credit (so it won't hurt your GPA if you have ok marks) in your transcripts, not a letter grade.

They evaluate your poo poo and give you credit based on what your portfolio says and then they say "give us x amount and we will put this on your transcript as done." X amount usually is manageable. I think my school offers the first 12 credits for 600 bucks and then in incriminates of 6 credits for 400 or something later.

Either or, I did and am doing the above. I'm not done with my PLA class yet, but I'm sitting pretty after doing 4 online classes towards my AA, and I'm more than likely going to skip it and go right for my BA.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

loving goddamn Army gods or whatever.

Naturally I'd get bedridden with the loving FLU the DAY I sign out on leave.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Slithery D posted:

Are your eyes leaking black fluid?

Arms raised high wgah'nagl fhtagn. I push the scalpel into my ocular cavity and sever the optic nerve. ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh.

I am blind but for the first time in my life I can see.

There is no God in space.

Our creator has no face.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You know you had a "get out of jail free" card right? "Boy top, I sure do gots a problem with cocaine! I need to go to rehab!" And boom nothing mom or dad can do.

For a real answer? Sucks man.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lard Goat posted:

That's not how any of it worked. gently caress!!! Act all high and mighty as a pog, but I need a true combat vet answer. gently caress

Combat vet answer would have been don't get caught.

Edit so, what your saying is your chain of command (what?) is refusing to give you your 214? Have you tried HRC?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lard Goat posted:

I don't know what the gently caress you are saying. My life has been hell for years but I am trying to get it under control. Maybe I misunderstood gip. I just want help, and the va is full of fucksticks that see my name on a computer screen but wont help me without paperwork. gently caress.

Yeah, most times real problems don't make their way over here. It took me a while to "understand" gip, but ultimately you never understand it. Just find new ways of self defecation and masterbation appreciation.

Honestly, HRC would be able to have a copy or something like that. That and I know this sounds like a long shot, but maybe see if your ako or Emilpo accounts are accessible so you can go and print off new copies?

The reason I ask this is if it's been 3 years your old chain of command has gently caress all to d with you now. And that's who you really need to be going through and not some Podunk red leg unit in FT Sill. They probably don't even have your paperwork

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't worry, there is a neverending, yearly supply of mass media to sway impressionable young 18 year olds into trying to be delta sniper ranger forces tracked vehicle mechanics and cooks

I'm sure back in ancient times a young Greek would hear legends of brave warriors that were led into battle by the king himself only to find himself cleaning up horse poo poo for Alexander's army or something. That messenger at the beginning of Gladiator that got beheaded? Watched too many battle reenactments at the Colosseum.

Yes. Yes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lard Goat posted:

gently caress it

The poo poo you've seen has nothing on what you see yourself becoming. Take 5 minutes, breathe, and calm down.

You need to talk to someone, like now. Not us, someone with credentials. There are lots of resources available for us, and are stickied. We aren't against you, here to make you look like an idiot, or whatever. But we can't help you the way the professionals can help you.

All we can do is have a dick measuring contest on who had the worst roomie when they deployed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

We are the result of vivisection. Whoever compared to the Stamford experiment was right on.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lard Goat posted:

I know what I should do, but after the way the army treated me for my drug problem, gently caress them. I literally had an army psychologist tell me to talk to my legs because I am so jittery.

I had to sleep on a chair for two months because of what I did. The other guys that deployed with me went awol or started abusing tramadol of all things.

The VA people I have talked to keep treating me like poo poo,even when I was homeless and their job was helping homeless vets.

Dude.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

at the date posted:

As much as Lard Goat may seem like a troll, I think we should stop short of questioning the credibility of an apparently depressed guy.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey fellas, how about you don't dogpile on the guy who is clearly going through some poo poo right now? He hosed up, sure, but I bet that the last thing he needs is a lecture from a bunch of alcoholic welfare queens (present company included).

I think it's been mentioned here before, but the google hangouts is actually a good place to chill and talk about whatever is bothering you. I used to think I was above all that kind of stuff, but after some events this last semester, the hangouts group was able to talk me down from the metaphorical ledge and help me get my head in the right place. It's pretty much a judgement-free zone for cool dudes, and they'll only talk poo poo if you have a Nintendo Wii or drive a Miata (because who does that? seriously).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733032

It's not that, we get that he's messed up. However, choosing not to follow advice and pointing him in the direction multiple times of the resource thread and other materials which he ignores is not something we can control.

I get melting down on the forums, I get needing someone to talk to. He needs to stop posting in this case, and go talk to someone. All he's doing is dragging poo poo to us and we get lord of the flies with it. He knows he has resources, he's just not using it.

You can lead a horse to vagina but you can't make him play a Wii.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

The Army Times has published the results of the courts martial that took place in August. This one amused me.

Fort Carson, Aug. 5:
Name: Sgt. Maj. Virgil L. Ebrecht
Conviction: By a military judge, pursuant to his plea, of one specification of abusive sexual contact of a child.
Sentence: Reduced to the grade of E-4, confined for 30 months. As part of an offer to plead guilty, a pretrial agreement limited confinement to six months.

How many police calls do you think he'll do before he finally leaves the army?

I forgot to read up on these, thanks.

Also, what loving world gives you six months for sex contact with a minor?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Slithery D posted:

Every unit morale is determined by current leadership, and LOL if anything at division level is determining that.

Truth. Lots of units have a chill section where people do their jobs, relax, and bullshit. Then there is one super Moto mother fucker that comes in and wrecks it.

Example: my unit is super small. Like squad sized small. We used to do PT in the gym cause gently caress it, why have a formation and do PT in the rain and poo poo like "real" army units. Cept those fuckers are smart and zonk and we are the idiots marching a group of 4 to some isolated part of the parking lot to do PRT "by the numbers."

If you know how to sham, the army is cake. But that lasts until you get kicked out for not making rank or someone catches on.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

From my understanding you can't even wep quail because of some bullshit in the SOFA or whatever. Correct me if wrong.

Also, I don't get what the gently caress is wrong with the Army's medical system. Behavioral Health records dating 4 years back, asked for a medboard and was told "I need treatment first" leg issues with three surgeries between the two for a few years and was told a while ago "well! We tried! Go see pain management and good luck!" Like, offer me a second opinion or something? Don't just wash your hands of me oval office.

I can't wait to get out. I ETS in 3 years and I'm not gonna make it that long.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Being medboarded loving blows in its way. 12 years in, impeccable service record and all that. No one would have said I was anything than a good soldier. Get medboarded for mental health, after going to mental health on a good friends advice, and I'm suddenly the biggest trash in the command, with the brigade commander who is 1000 miles away and I've shook hands with once, calling me a malinger and all this other poo poo. I was ok with you know, pulling my weight and carrying on while undergoing treatment so as not to disrupt the work enviroment for my office, but after all that poo poo, I loving shut down and stopped going to work. I haven't been to my office or pt or anything in like 3 months. It sounds ~awesome~ I know but it reallllly makes me feel like poo poo too.

And you don't really ask for a medboard, certain criteria need to be met and its automatic at that point, in my experience anyhow.

I already denied one to PCS and come here and it was in my record luckily.

I also get why you feel like poo poo. It's peer pressure, it's the same bullshit they do when they're like "Come on, sign up for airborne, it'll be fun! No? What are you a loving leg?"Yes. Yes I am a loving leg. I also have my knees.

Cole posted:

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Both completely true. I'm surprised I lasted this long. Then again, my track history with being in abusive relationships is pretty bad too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

What the everloving gently caress is going on with our outgoing commander's letters?

gently caress it I"m just not going to drill.

This is the MPAD I was attached to. I don't even know, what is this I can't even is that a "gun" made out of camera parts why is the microphone on one end and the lens on the other so you can either see them or hear them EVERY SOLDIER IS A SENSOR HOORAGGGHHHHPTHBBBBT

Yes. Yes it is a gun. Your MPAD is the worst. I thought mine was with my NCOIC mandating all these "this is how the real Army works" bullshit. Like a formation for 5 people. However, that camera gun is horrible.

Things I've learned in the Army that won't affect me when I get out: Highly Encouraged = Mandatory

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cole posted:

one of the best parts about being out is that i legit don't have to do anything i don't want to, even if it is highly encouraged or mandatory.

i don't walk on the grass at school out of some weird army-hangover thing even though i see people doing it all the time. it still feels weird when i force myself to do it.

when i go outside and it's cold, i have to remind myself that i am allowed to bundle up and be comfortable because the idea that "overusing polypro will make it less effective" means absolute dick out here.

I can't wait for this. Also umbrellas.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

The cleaning lady at my office is a retired E-8

Haahahahahahaha.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Please tell me platoon OPORDs aren't normally 16 pages long

Thanks 4 ur service! :usa:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask a general question in, but I have an acquaintance who's an Army NCO and today he posted on Facebook that he'd been notified earlier this year that he was one of several NCOs who were under consideration for denial of continued service thing under the QMP and today he got the notice that after 16 years, he's gotten the boot. Since most of my family's either Navy or Air Force, I don't have a clue what this means other than he got the sack and I can't really ask the guy for the dirt. So, if anyone can explain what this is and what would be the reasons for this, I'd be thankful since my curiosity's going wild.

If he's an E5, he hit RCP and that's a wrap

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

An officers wife, vegetarian, Aetheist and Cross fit Trainer all walk into a bar.

And everyone knows cause they announce it to everyone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeeeeeesssssss!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I finally FINALLY got a doctor to give me a solid path forward. Thankfully he is also a full bird so poo poo will get done.

He also suggested me to get this weird amp thing hooked into my spine and a battery pack in my butt. It will help my pain and supposedly the Army won't let me stay in if I have one. Win/win.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Spinal cord stimulator? Those did wonders for some of my soldiers back at WTU. Hope it does some good for you too :unsmith:

Me too :unsmith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This morning on JBLM, we were informed they were using (sic) "live rounds" for reveille. What they meant was a more powerful round.

Strong enough to set off car alarms, which is exactly what happened.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

I don't think I heard reveille once while I was on JBLM.

e: nvm, it was only once in a blue moon or something.

Yeah, it's always right near the parade field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I got the poo poo smoked out of me in basic for wondering why the gently caress I didn't go AF.

To be fair the DS would have smoked you for complimenting Army life too.

• Locked thread