Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Retardog posted:

I said "What?" the first two times he asked because I was looking at the menu and not paying attention. The third time I said I just finished drill. He said he didn't know there was drill going on around there (I drill about 45 minutes away). Maybe it was because I'd just watched a couple stolen valor videos, but it seemed like he was just itching for the attention I didn't care to give him. He was just some kid who said he was a former Marine.

A former Marine current sandwich artist has got to be more embarrassing than a stolen valor faker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Totally. Gets the deserter off the payroll with a Dishonorable Discharge, and if those 5 guys go back to terrorizin' (which one may have already) it gives us a chance to kill them for good instead of paying for their extended Cuban vacation.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Whole lotta nobles ITT bitching about the stuff that Joe does every day.

My obsession for now is to get my gold bar and join the aristocracy. I have difficulty believing any of their complaints have merit.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I actually zeroed really well and still shot bad on paper both optics and iron sights. Difference being I take all day with my zero shots and am rushed as hell on the qual shots as well as not good at unsupported or kneeling. On popup targets I can barely see 300 meters let alone hit anything. Since we only shoot once a year to qual, there isn't much focus on how to get from marksman to sharpshooter or expert. Are these experts hiring personal firing coaches on their downtime or something?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

they might as well make the duty uniform for cav scouts be realtree because they're all loving the whitest of hicks, at least the infantry is mostly middle/upper middle class white boys and mexicans

With the amount of dip I see in the Army, it makes everyone look like hicks. Blows my mind that many officers dip. Y'all supposed to be aristocratic nobility above that redneck habit.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

calmasahinducow posted:

7 years ago I was an unemployed PoliSci graduate, 4 years ago I was an unemployed law school graduate, but then I joined the Army, went to OCS, managed my career well and took advantage of a lucky deployment opportunity and now I have a sweet job in cybersecurity working 35 hours a week and making high 5 figures in the midwest. Of course I'm still in the Reserve for a couple more years but at least the SLRP will pay all my loans off in the meantime!

I take it Army JAG officer had no openings?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

So what you all are hinting at is... I should switch from guard to reserves for a better chance at getting my gold bar?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Mike-o posted:

I'll forego my usual "lol ur still in" and ask it genuinely. Why are any of you still in? We all know how gay the army is, I saw the writing on the wall in 2010 and got the gently caress out as soon as I could. I'm guessing most of you will respond with "I still have four more years to go" or something to that effect but is anyone staying in regardless if they still have a ton of time left?

1.) The National Guard is a decent part time job/social club where I can be super hooah and leave before the constant drudgery of active army can wear me out.
2.) 10.5 more years until I qualify for a pension.
3.) I will live with constant regret over leaving without getting my gold bar. Hell, I live with constant regret enlisting with a degree and now I stay like a battered spouse.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I just drink and watch Army Wives on Netflix while wishing the real Army was like that.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Retardog posted:

No loving poo poo. I got to work this morning and the first thing I got to deal with was a Soldier that's in jail for multiple counts of petit larceny. This same person also has a drug packet in progress, so I'm guessing they were pawning the poo poo they stole to support their pill habit.

I finished dealing with that at around 5pm, and I'm still in the office working on another drug packet for a pothead. This'll be the second time in the last week that I'll be spending the night on the couch in the Colonel's office.

What I'm saying is, gently caress lower enlisted retards for wasting my time.

I've got a great idea... Since lower enlisted is loving retarded, and the Army is drawing down, and the economy sucks, combined with education inflation, lets make a bachelors a requirement to enlist. We can make a masters a requirement to commission to keep the wretched masses from thinking they are on par with the glorious nobility.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

psydude posted:

Apparently, retention in the Army Reserve is so poor right now that they've largely stopped transferring PT/height and weight failures and non-participants to the IRR.

Not sure if this extends to all other IRR transfers; if so, I'm going to be pissed.

Why isn't the Reserve filling up with all the guys booted from active during the drawdown?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Vasudus posted:

It's given me great pleasure to interview a bunch of E7s/O3s for jobs and subsequently reject them for fit.

No, you koolaid drinking motherfuckers, I don't care that you were responsible for the health, welfare and morale of 7 soldiers and directly responsible for equipment in excess of 7 million dollars. You have the personality of a lobster and nobody will want to work with you.

Would it give you more pleasure to hire them for a role below what they applied for and make them do the most menial bitch work you can get away with? Waste of company resources, but a great boost to your morale!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Because only retards join the army. Myself and present company included.

It wasn't until I joined the army that I learned being the smartest person in the room isn't an enviable position. Of course enlisting with a degree makes me KING RETARD.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now we've got to come up with a calculator for the break even point between the 20% pension cut and the 5%TSP match. Some numbnuts will probably keep it all in the G fund while I got it all in the S fund. Of course most people will probably pick the lifecycle fund and be done with it. For the E7 missing $4780 a year, I'm estimating that five percent TSP match needs to value $138,000 just so he can take it out at the same time as his pension and afford the tax penalty, as long as it grows the same 7.3 rate overall.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

My level 2 Modern Army Combatives certificate makes me a lethal fighting force multiplier.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

I know you guys are laughing but I figure Id either end up delivering pizza or something but from talking to people uber seems to pay better, especially if I stay in CO springs, anyone else have suggestions for part time flexible work that allows me to go to school full time while making enough to scrape by?

I did it the other way around. Worked full time, went to night classes part time. Also fit in National Guard in there. Even though I didn't max out my credit hours for BAH it worked for me. If you can make all your classes night classes it might be better off for you. I did this for my masters so I don't know if going for bachelors on this plan will work as well.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

When I was in I thought I would rather perform sex acts for ramen than be in the Army. A few months after I was out I was at the recruiters trying to get back in.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

MurderBot posted:

Which is another story in and of itself, there were so many individuals that had to attempt BRM qual over...and over.......and over it was insane. poo poo, even after going to the firing line 3-4 times people had to wait until the next company would go to the range, get shuttled out with them and shoot.

That's pretty much me. I can't shoot well at all and once a year at the range isn't getting me better. I'm pretty sure my main problem is sight picture/ having my glasses fog up and shift while I'm trying to shoot let alone see the 300 and 250 m targets.

I've thought about getting laser eye surgery with marksmanship improvement being the biggest reason why but meh... effort.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

that being said, being a chaplain would own if you were ok with limited promotion opportunities.

I'm enlisted. Being a chaplain would be my greatest promotion opportunity.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Mike-o posted:

You've got battered wife syndrome with the army btw.

I know I do. Maybe if I try a little bit harder, Army will love me more. Maybe Army will stop yelling so much and give me jewelry! Oh how I wish Army would give me that shiny gold bar. Then I know Army loves me.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Obstacle2 posted:

having bought two homes now with a VA loan the level of truth here is appalling

i get a letter from one of them every god drat day

I get those a lot too advertising a rate like half a point lower. How does the scam work? Charging more than market average to refinance a loan? Outright lying about terms? Is it really a scam or is it just a bad idea in most cases?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Retardog posted:

I had that same experience about ten years ago before I joined. A guy that worked for me got out after an Iraq deployment. He came in one morning looking like hammered poo poo, and I asked him if he was okay. He said he was hungover as hell, and he'd been at a strip club the night prior and had apparently spent the last $3,000 of his deployment cash there, but he was so drunk he didn't remember any of it. I was scraping by to pay bills at the time, eating free tornados and hot dogs from gas station rewards points to make it to payday, and it was infuriating.

Stuff like this makes me lose all sympathy for homeless vets. If I wasn't so cheap I would buy a DD214 blanket for the one I see out here so I could image macro it with DD214s CAUSE HOMELESSNESS.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

psydude posted:

e: Also, free TSA-Pre. Nothing beats bypassing an hour long wait and making it through security in 2 minutes.

I hear private air beats ever setting foot in a scrub airport. Is that something the O7+ money can get?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

So I watched "Hell and Back Again" on Netflix last night. Almost had regret that I didn't do something more hooah hooah hut hut in the Army. Now 60 years from now when my grandkids ask what you did in the War On Terror all I got is some dull "I did map stuff on computers in Iraq and shuffled contractor paperwork around in Afghanistan." Then again, I didn't get shot in the rear end and have to limp around the rest of my life while developing a pain pill addiction so whatever.

Who has the most dull and useless summary of their War On Terror to tell their grandkids here?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

McNally posted:

Wow, who'd have guessed "three or four days a month, one month a year" would have resulted in problems for reserve component dudes?

And I can pretty much guarantee you that somewhere in the Pentagon, some dude is saying "cutting back the active force and then yanking more IRR dudes for deployments will save us money: the extra pay is probably less than what we'd have to pay to house and feed and provide healthcare and pay an active duty soldier full time than just to deploy some IRR joe for a year."

In a plan about as stupid as timing the market I'm waiting for the combination of unpopular war, absolute bottom of the barrel in desperation and needs of the force combined with a soaring economy sending all the smart talented 6 figure income potential people out before I reapply for OCS and have the highest chances of getting my gold bar. If anyone can do it, Hillary Clinton can.

How bad will it have to get before the reserves offer me a direct commission to leave the guard and join them?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

You know what the Army ought to do? Cut base pay in half and stick that money in a savings bond that the soldier gets when they get discharged for whatever reason be it honorable or otherwise, or free up that money if they go career. Soldiers are too dumb by and large to save money for themselves

Savings bonds have too low an interest rate. I propose automatic TSP enrollment to maxout $18,000/year lifecycle fund. Without money to afford anything other than NoXplode and tuna packs we can live the Army lifestyle and watch our net worth climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Soulex posted:

No. Even if it's a joke gently caress the TSP. You will literally do better by putting your money in a jar and just burying it.

I'm challenging you on this. What's wrong with the TSP? What it lacks in fund choices it makes up for in lower cost compared to other pre tax retirement accounts. Plus the Army doesn't try to sell active management to you as a shady way to squeeze more fees out of your retirement like my work does. My 12 month performance is 7.3% which is acceptable although a bit less than my ROTH IRA at 11.5% or work retirement at 16-19%.

The only way I could see you loving up the TSP is having money invested before the great recession, watching it lose value, and panicking in March 2009 to transfer everything to the G fund.

When I started I put everything in the G fund because I didn't know what the gently caress. The basic training financial counseling brief should just straight up direct that unless you know what the hell you are doing you will put everything in the Lifecycle Fund and forget about it.

• Locked thread