Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Sim Racing is serious business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEZ59T8j44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I gave up on RSRBR each time I tried to get it working right. Couldn't ever get my G27+shifter to work right, the cameras blow and I couldn't figure out the camera-hack thing. Everything felt really floaty too, just because it's rally doesn't mean tires don't sometimes... grip.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I haven't tried PCars yet (soon to be remedied), but AC is anything but a letdown imo. It doesn't have a huge variety of cars/tracks first party but the modding support is robust and the quality of the released and upcoming mods is high, and the FFB is excellent.

Dreampack/1.1 (preordered already) comes out on payday... I might get a wheel again before I have a real desk at home. :shepspends:

The single best sim experience I've yet had is Alfa GTA on Targa Florio in Power & Glory, everything is just so visceral. The dream pack comes with a GTA, and the Targa conversion lives, so the future is looking bright.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Copy/paste car/track folder into /steaminstallpath/Assetto Corsa/content/(tracks or cars), though steam workshop will eventually be integrated. Last significant mod bork was when sound was transitioned to fmod, before 1.0.

e: Speaking of mods...
URD's 2004 Audi DTM is out (beta?) http://www.virtualr.net/audi-a4-dtm-2004-ac-released

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 10, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Control Volume posted:

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Pick n pull. For real though, if/when I build a cockpit I'm gonna go try and pull a recaro out of something. :boom:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
1. Custom PP filters. People have been sharing them on the official forums and I think there are a few on RaceDepartment, but they get involved real fast, with custom weather and colorcurve ini's.
2. Over/downsampling. Either rendering at a higher than monitor res and downscaling, or people stitching together multiple screenshots.
3. Setting the sun right. When I make a screenshot, 75% of my time is spent getting the sun position juuuuuust right for each shot.

But overall it is much less visually impressive than pCars or even Shift 2, just because they didn't really invest their limited resources in the look pretty part. :whitewater:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Some people like using sweetfx but as far as I could tell when I messed around with it, other than forcing additional sharpening, it mainly leads to less dynamic range and garish colors.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
These are straight out of AC (photo mode and stock PP's used, no post):

The countach model is great and sounds decent, but the physics are a long way from done, currently is on rails. The audi DTM is a blast, very tail-happy, one of the best sounding mods yet, too.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The FFB on the G27 is better than the DFGT, but not enough to warrant an upgrade unless you want clutch/h-shifter.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's cool because there hasn;t been an update on the targa conversion for a while :-/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Unfortunately a ripped model from F*rza, but this supra is really fun: https://mega.co.nz/#!j5M2GQ7K!PKh41nvaWDj8ewfIfhuoQq3WBrvpNO5iFimdcA2Q_H8

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GutBomb posted:

If you do "check stock" it says they have 0 on hand.

"You've successfully placed your order with NCIX.com" Here's hoping :backtowork:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Mine shipped too! I think this time around I'm gonna make or buy a stand as well...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The LFS devs are cool as hell and also authorized a port of their version of Blackwood to AC: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/blackwood-reloaded.22792/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Transfagarasan for AC just released its biggest update in a long while.

It's good.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I've heard there's no FFB in DiRT rally, c/d?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Welp, guess I'm buying DiRT Rally.

I hate saying this because I still think it's an amazing driving sim, but I'm pretty disappointed with where Assetto is this far after release. Multiplayer (at least as a pub racer) is pretty much a nonstarter (0 servers use booking anymore, so no races), as even the free-drive servers are a crapshoot due to the fact that you don't see how many people are currently on a server, just how many have joined at one time. I've been enjoying driving by myself but most of where I want to drive are the hillclimbs and rally stages, and even lowering traction and adjusting car settings to try and mimic dirt/gravel/bad tarmac isn't really enough. Driving on loose dirt isn't like driving on ice. Not to mention how fragmented the mods are thanks to audio updates constantly breaking them. :-/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
drat, wasn't able to finish in time to get on the board! My times were 11/12th through the 4th stage, so it's not like I missed out on any glory though. Weekly rallies?

This game is great so far. I used these FFB settings: http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/611704730331127090/ and am looking at modifying the cockpit camera to get a narrower fov/move up

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, I can't really do more than a stage or two a night, just don't have enough of the sweet spot time between work and too late for a noisy wheel.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's really underpowered compared to the real group B cars they ran, in un-upgraded form.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Modified 308s did show up here and there in the early days of group B though:

I'd love for Codemasters to go all out and make some more neat and obscure rally cars for us to drive, but I don't see that happening. I think Nissan is sorely underrepresented in rally games:

Safari Rally + Nissan Classics pack pls Codemasters.

YES!!! A safari pack with the celica and fairlady would be amazing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SealHammer posted:

Also, the M3 is a trash car

This is an objectively incorrect opinion. The E30 M3 is one of the greatest cars ever produced.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

98.2% of people play this game wrong. :psyduck:

e: ^^I am quite happy with the g27 in it, actually. See: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-tweak-no-void.104688/

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05/dirt-rally-road-book-130515/

quote:

“We’ve got things feeling right as far as the Force Feedback is concerned but it has taken a complete rewrite to get us to this point. Next we are going to get it in the hands of some rally drivers to get their feedback (pardon the pun). We are also working on the in-game calibration, configuration and options screens to give you more control over how the wheel feels.

Pikes Peak is really coming together now. It’s such a different challenge tearing up the hill with no co-driver giving you instructions. You really have to learn the route and there is plenty to learn. From a simulation angle we’ve improved the way we model the Aerodynamics. The Hillclimb cars have some extreme wing setups and this extra component of the simulation has given us plenty to layer back into the rally cars you are already driving, we’ll be getting on the case with that as soon as we can.

Another key element of Pikes Peak is the change in altitude. The difference in air pressure has a huge impact on the power the engine can produce and how much downforce is created by those big wings. Power loss with altitude is something we already simulate (you may have noticed a difference in car performance between Wales and Greece) but in Pikes Peak you actually get to feel the power drop as you climb. I’ll talk a bit more about Hillclimb next week so watch this space.”

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 17, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I play with auto-clutch because I can't find a good way to keep my G27 pedals from sliding forwards on the carpet when I use brakes and the clutch at the same time. I prefer the cockpit view, but I'll probably go headcam and no hud when I get a consumer VR kit later this year/early next year.

Auto-clutch doesn't count against that one (you can even get it with auto I think) only the assists (TC, STAB, ABS). :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Now that things are as they should be (cars are fully upgraded for custom events), the only thing keeping me in career is cheevos...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Decided to finally try out iRacing and found a free first 3 months coupon if anyone is on the fence: PR-BLANCPAIN2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I haven't even done a race yet and iRacing is so good drat. It is 'easier' than assetto (only driving the mx-5), but wow driving alongside people who care? With good netcode? :captainpop:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally tried out pCars and it felt like slightly less arcadey shift without the car pokemon I wanted. :iiam:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Well, it does seem like the last thing they should have been working on with multiplayer as broken as it is...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah... Unless they improve the motor a lot that's a downgrade. In the meantime I am going to slowly plan on replacing my 27's wheel with a nardi ripoff

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My first iRace was going well until I noticed a crash behind me, which I assumed was somehow my fault, and pulled over to let the rest of the field pass me. 15 more laps and one annoying slow bastard who wouldn't let me pass later, I checked the replay. :downsrim:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

simble posted:

Why the gently caress would you pull over and let everyone by?

Because it seemed like the nice thing to do :shobon:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj-bp5okqR0&t=12s

Coming in 2016 for Assetto Corsa: loving planes, brought to you by the_meco (creator of the now official content shelby cobra)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I know they're Codies and all, but christ those default settings are poo poo. AND they don't want people fiddling with the actual files where there are, you know, settings???

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
GT-86 is cool but I don't know if I will reinstall it before they release their AE86.
e: Nevermind, just remembered that the team pure miata mod is out this month.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Dat Quattro is coming a lot sooner than I expected.

Wait what?

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-toyota-license-announced

quote:

Kunos Simulazioni has announced a new licensing deal as Toyota joins their Assetto Corsa simulation.

Assetto Corsa will feature six Toyotas, two of them will be racing cars while four of them will be street machinery. This continues Assetto Corsa’s rather road-car centric approach in terms of car selection as the Toyota’s will join plenty of street machinery from Lotus, Ferrari & other manufacturers.

Production:

Toyota GT-86
Toyota SUPRA MK IV
Toyota CELICA
Toyota AE-86page1image12048
Racing models:

Toyota GT-86 GT4
Toyota TS040 HYBRID
Furthermore, Kunos Simulazioni has also revealed that the TS040 Hybrid will be the first but not the only LMP1 car to join their title as more prototype racing machinery is on the horizon.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Polidoro posted:

Is there a way to make AC stop detecting my Xbox controller? I really don't want to have to unplug it every time.

So long as you have a different controller profile loaded it shouldn't be interacting with the game, what is happening?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think racing road cars is miles more entertaining then jetting rallies or supers personally!

Agreed! I really enjoyed driving the Seat Ibiza around the ring in AC, sadly the mod hasn't been updated to work with recent updates. :(

In much, much more important news than any DiRT updates:
THE TEAM PURE MIATA MOD FOR ASSETTO IS OUT

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Weird motion blur tearing aside, angry miata

:yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

I installed the Miata and... wasn't impressed? :confused: Engine sounds were missing and something about the handling feels off, not as nimble as I expected, maybe that's just from playing too much Dirt.

You have to install the sound fix linked in the description, and in the official thread forum someone pointed out a few suspension values that needed to be changed in the first patch

• Locked thread