Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Got a line on an affordable-ish 2011 GT3 RS with an annoying DME report:

Stage 1: 435 at 289 hours
Stage 2: 95 at 285 hours
Stage 3: 21 at 285 hours
Stage 4: 6 at 285 hours
Stage 5: 0
Stage 6: 0

Currently 562 hours on the engine. Seller makes the argument that if the engine hasn't blown up in the 270+ hours since the over-rev event, it is unlikely to do so because of this.

Haven't done a PPI yet, but would this be an automatic disqualifier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thank you all for the perspective! Will keep this thread updated if I bite on the car

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
What a weird persimmon looking red

That exterior colored center console is amazing though

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

I wanted a 987.2 but this 2014 981 had that little bit extra I was looking for. Original sticker was in the manual:
PASM and ventilated seats is :kiss:

Well done!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Motronic posted:

How is it not clear that an $65,000 car that is now available very much used for purchase at $22k still requires $65k german sports car parts and $65k german sports car labor that very often requires $65k german sports car special tools?
It's not a '90s Ferrari, no? A range closer to $5-10k is probably ok unless he's tracking it or buying a basket case

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

There's no way a 2001 996 has a dual row IMS, right? Seller claims it's a July 2000 build date and 2 mechanics have "guessed" it's dual row. BS right?

slidebite posted:

Not that I'm an authority but iirc 1999 is almost 100% and it fell off rapidly for 2000 model year. I can't imagine any 2001 having it.... but who knows for sure. I defintely wouldn't bet that it would.

Flipside, if it's got 80K on it and it's original, I probably wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

You could just budget $1-2K to have the LN Engineering retrofit put in regardless of whether it's a single or dual row (though the kits are different IIRC). With the cost of a used/rebuilt engine in the $10-20K range, it's not a bad idea for the peace of mind

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
It's the manual transmission that's commanding the premium. But it makes no sense. I get why an F430 with a stick might be worth 30-50% more but why would you subject yourself to that in an SUV :shrug:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

Reverse of disassembly, etc. It's a little touchy and will open if the top is bumped, but it stays shut.
:golfclap:
Well done! I wish I had had the gumption to fix the cupholders in my 987 like this

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MomJeans420 posted:

*$1,571/mo, but also $20k down, 5 year lease, and capped at 2,500 miles/year, so one of the worst leases I can imagine. I assume you're on the hook for ridiculous maintenance costs too
McLarens are notorious for huge depreciation, even by supercar standards

Money aside though I just can't handle the idea of paying all that money for a V6

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Is there an objective way of knowing when shocks might be bad/due for a refresh? The dealer/indys I've taken it to have never mentioned them, but I've never specifically asked, and I'm sure they wouldn't say no to replacing them early.
I was told by various indies in SoCal, when I was regularly tracking my PASM-equipped Cayman, to wait for a "PASM Fault" error message before replacing. Got it up to 80K miles and 35 or so track days on the stock shocks before I sold it, and they were holding up just fine

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

gvibes posted:

Thought of buying this one (2nd bidder) - huge miles, lovely paint, but lots of service of service history. https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2003-porsche-911-turbo-coupe/

Wow $31.5K for an X50. Great deal for a track rat

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks for this, that 987 cutaway is amazing :circlefap:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Can anyone confirm whether or not Sport mode does anything to the clutch on a manual 987.1 Cayman S? My Dad was telling me that it does and I thought no way, doesn't sound right as I've never heard of any manufacturer doing such a thing, and it was probably just throttle mapping making it feel different (he mentioned he has to adjust how he shifts otherwise his shifts are garbage).

I drove it, and bugger me if the friction point doesn't seem to move considerably between Sport and normal mode.

Is this actually a thing? I guess they could have a cam or moving linkage which changes the clutch operation or something - like I said, I'd just never heard of anyone doing it.

Not a thing, but sport does change throttle mapping

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Question for those with lord experience with the Stuttgart specials than I. Is the 996/997 convertibles compromised in design like other cars that are hard tops and get a convertible version? Things like more body flex etc...
The 997 convertible does flex a good amount but it wouldn't keep me from buying one. I knew someone who DE'd one for several years and she had lots of fun. My 2006 Cayman S had a slight edge over her 997 non-S cab, and was fractionally slower than other 997 non-S coupes

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2021

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.
These just look so right in silver! Congratulations

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

knox_harrington posted:

More neige overnight. And bonus pic of the wheels

Beautiful wheels but I can’t have been the only one cringing while thinking of curbs. You are no doubt a more careful parker than me

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BlackMK4 posted:

...wrapping... the amount a full wrap costs into the price when shopping will likely lead willroc to a better color that hasn't aged terribly and probably a better idea

:golfclap:

Agree; I especially dislike the sand beige with the yellow. There are (imo) enough 996s in good condition out there that it's worth waiting for the right color

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Some pics after a detail!
Gosh I love those extremely '90s wheels. Are they OEM?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ultimate Mango posted:

Tag yourself as an unrepresented colour.

I’m “chalk”

Mode Grau here, which is afaict a darker, warmer gray. Would drat near sell my soul for the one Carrera GT made in the color

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I was initially puzzled by Guards Red winning over Mexico Blue, but then they showed that it's just a Boomer thing

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ether Frenzy posted:

Update: He bought the car, because why wouldn't you buy 3 cars so far this year?

Pics please, have never seen Albert Blue before

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

So Porsche shopping has started since I have arrived at the new place. I think I have settled on a 987 S with higher miles as my expectation is to use the car as my “daily driver” since I work from home and can drive it all year here. My question is what is high miles on a Boxster? I don’t expect to be doing a ton of miles but don’t want to suffer from “their is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche” syndrome so looking at 90 to 120k miles.

For example there is this one in TX https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WP0CB29876U730887/ which is $10k less than a same year, same colour car in LA but has 60k more miles.

Probably going to have to buy sight unseen and have it delivered as picking as slim in Phoenix. Since I just bought a house sight unseen and it ended up ok what could go wrong? :v:

IMO it's deferred maintenance and/or an owner that refuses to rev it past 3,500 rpm that will get you. As long as the car's been driven like a Porsche should be (regular trips to redline when warm!) and well maintained at a dealer or reputable indy, I wouldn't be too afraid. Pay particular attention to the water pump - mine went twice in 60,000 miles worth of ownership - and see if the IMS bearing has been replaced. Not the end of the world if it hasn't - mine was never done and I tracked it regularly - especially if it's an earlier model with a single row. All that said your budget needs to be able to accommodate an unexpected $2-3K repair at any time; if not, high mileage Porsche ownership is probably not for you

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

... to track a 987.1 on R-comps. Seems like added cooling, deep sump pan, IMS fix and maybe a swirl pot are the key things people are doing.

Don't forget GT3 brake ducts and power steering cooler but yeah that's a good list

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Found a 987 S close by with one owner and full Porsche dealer service history. Let’s see it dripping from the rear main seal or something when I get there.

Check the 3 -> 2 downshift, and also 2nd gear pop out (hard acceleration in 2nd then let off); if the gearbox has been abused it'll show

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

The more I look I think it is fine and my resell grey prejudice was coming into it. Better off spending the money on a GoPro so I can take some videos of me taking up some canyon roads.

I love it. Suggestion: clear side markers and Spyder stripe on the sides if you want to have graphics

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Russian Bear posted:

Do they make replacement soft tops in BRIGHT RED like the calipers?

IRL the OEM top is more burgundy than bright red but yeah :cool:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

Well it's been a while and the market has really gotten away from my original target price range, but this car has popped up ~2 hours from me and I think I will go check it out on Friday. It's a 1999 with ~65k miles on it and the seller wants $22k. Flaws include a couple dime and quarter sized paint flaws, tires nearing replacement, and the seat belt light being on due to a bad latch. The carfax has damage reported on the front but it still has a clean title. I suspect the options sticker is missing as a result. IMS done with LN. Thoughts? Pic album below.

https://imgur.com/a/DCktXCj

Fwiw I like it, and it's rare to find one with the spare (I believe that's like $800 by itself). If you get a good explanation for what was fixed on the front + good service records I wouldn't hesitate

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

gently caress I kinda like the ambers, especially on the rear on this one...
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/porsche-911-carrera-all-original/7322929218.html

I don't know if the staggered wheel sizes will look weird IRL but it's nice to have one that's been taken care of by an enthusiast

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Thanks, I am ok with the grey since everything else about it is so good. There is a used CD place near me I am going to visit soon so I can fill up the cd changer and just roll with it.

That reminds me of my old Cayman ritual: reloading the changer magazine twice a month from a folder I kept in the glovebox

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

I would get a Gallardo LP560-2 with a gated manual :discourse:
LP550-2 but good choice friend :discourse:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

McTinkerson posted:

Porsche bodies are galvanized, so any rust usually is indicative of a repair. The rust around the door strike is very odd.

The options sticker indicates that this is a very, very base 996

I also find the rust on the door strike to be disturbing, and would disqualify on that basis, but then I have the luxury of living on the West Coast

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Wow it has PASM and the sports steering wheel. Does seem too good to be true

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

slidebite posted:

Something looks off with the nose. Both the color and lining up with the frunk just don't quite look right.

Also, that website layout is terrible and hurts my eyes

Agree the color is weirdly off. Which is a pity, because the spec is great. I particularly like the lobster fork wheels, which are relatively light (only the sport designs are lighter)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

I can't get that silver 996 out of my dome so I'm considering trying to buy it next week. 22k for a 996.1 w/ 65k, even if it's a stripper model, and the IMS done just can't be anywhere near beat in today's market. And I don't see the market going anywhere but up. These are the things I say right before buying the top. It's also my favorite color combo, beyond exotic/rare ones.

I think the worst, saddest car purchases are made by people who logic it all out and then realize 6 months after the fact that they were never truly in love. So it's good that you can't get it out of your head. Do you feel it in your heart as well?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

Is a quart every 4K miles normal or a sign of bore scoring? Silver one.

If it's normal driving it's a bit much. There can be other reasons why, e.g. seals, AOS

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Motronic posted:

This is turning into swirling indecision, waiting for someone else to give permission because he knows it's not the right thing to do, but still fixated on "buying a 911".

Dude, just stop. Stop looking. Wait 6 months and see if you feel the same way and actually have the money to do this. But you need to stop. This much posting about bottom feeding the 911 market is a gigantic red flag when it's also clear you don't know anything about them or have the ability to wrench on them. Your VW and Audi claimed "pedigree" don't matter for this. It's not gatekeeping. It's hard economic reality.
I agree with you that this much indecision is a sign that he should give it a rest for a bit, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about his ability to work on them, his capacity to learn, or his economic wherewithal to pay someone to make problems go away ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Local BMW dealership got a 2007 Cayman S in on trade so I finally got to test drive one. Other than sticky buttons and way longer clutch throw than I was expecting I really liked it. Cayman S went from consolation Porsche if I can't find a pre-89 car to a very real contender. Was only able to do a few cloverleafs, a little back roads and a run down the interstate but I liked it a lot.

Asking in general but got off on a technicality I know you tracked your cayman and it looked like you had PASM in a couple of the track day thread pics you posted. For a car serving double duty is PASM worth holding out for? I'm going to ask around and see if I know anyone with a PASM car I can take for a spin.

Car I drove - https://www.graysonbmw.com/used/Porsche/2007-Porsche-Cayman+S-knoxville-b73b39380a0e09b1629d9cbef3bab9e0.htm ($34k, 44k miles, low spec)

edit: Is there anything else in the <$50k that I should look at that would be comparable? Am slightly considering Alfa 4c or an Elise.
I did have PASM and yes if you are planning to commute and track the same car it is 100% worth holding out for. In sport mode the body control is pretty close to what you would get with a dedicated track setup, and in comfort mode it was easy commuting 30 miles each way. They held up to a good amount of abuse - I once jumped the car about a foot at the corkscrew - over ~35 track days and ~80K miles. I asked my mechanic about whether we needed to replace/rebuild them and he said, if there's no PASM fault you don't need to touch them. I did know some 987 owners who swapped their stock non-PASM setups for Bilstein PSS9s and did live with them on the street :shrug:

Personally I couldn't do Elise because I live in the city and couldn't imagine getting in and out of parking spots with the manual steering (also $15K clamshells if you get backed into)

If your budget is $50K you could do a really cherry 987.2S and keep it forever and honestly if I had any sense I'd do the same

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Speaking of PSS9 on the street there is this car which seems pretty well prepared but is probably too much for primarily a DD- https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/garrisonville-2007-porsche-cayman-6/7325649688.html
It looks really good and those parts are p much all "forums consensus." Also you may need a power steering cooler especially if you're planning to track it in a hot climate. Also I bent 2 of those 19" Carrera Classic wheels on random potholes (1 more came pre-bent) before I said gently caress it and switched to 18" Carrera IIIs. They do look really good in person though

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm seeing a lot of early delivery 2006 silver on black cars with the following options in the 22-28k range. It is kind of tempting to grab one of these, do the basic track reliability mods and drive the hell out of it. Haven't seen any with the auto climate which I would really like to have.
Mine was a '06 launch car and they're generally very well equipped. Auto climate is nice but if a car was otherwise perfect I don't think I'd hold out for it

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

So I went through the service records again and the oil separator was done along with the IMS (LN ceramic) and the RMS in December 2018. None of those things should be leaking again already, right? Any other thoughts on what it might be, then?
If an engine is consuming 1 quart per 4k miles and the AOS / RMS are known good, and there are no visible oil leaks/dripping under the car to go after, I would personally walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're serious about this porsche ownership thing I think you have to consider extending your budget, and if that isn't possible I think you should reconsider.

That adage about cheap Porsches being expensive is a cliche, but has cliche status because there's a lot of truth to it. If a 911 is your cheapest option because of its dodgy vibes, it's likely because those dodgy vibes will cost you serious money in the medium/long term. You can try it if you want to gamble, but people who are stretching to afford one are precisely the people who shouldn't gamble