Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Some days I wonder about a 944 as a rainy day Miata supplement, but those always seem to end up costing 10k+ and I'm not sure I want to sink the time into maintenance now that used Toyabarus are dropping below 20k.

If everything goes according to plan and I get a more enjoyable job, buy a house and have a kid in the next two years, I might have some good play car money, depending on how expensive childcare turns out to be. I'm considering getting a 997 since the kid might be able to fit in the back between age 2 and 4 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I'm a man of my word. :colbert:

'99 2.5 with 92K on the clock. It's pretty much the best condition car I came across, and all the maintenance is up to the minute, including the retrofitted IMS.

Is that your 924/944 in the garage?

If you've driven a Miata before I'd be interested in a Boxster comparo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is the rule still the same on 944's - 5k for a good model or 3k for a car with 2k worth of work to bring it back up to snuff?

I always heard it was 10k either way.

A buddy of mine offered to sell me his 996 Targa sometime in the next year (he wants to buy a 308). I'm not crazy about 996 styling and I know the Targa is heavier and floppier, but this may be a cheap way to try on a 911 and see how I feel about it. I also kind of like huge glass roofs since I crave daylight, even on gloomy/rainy days. He's the second owner and has taken good care of it, but it does have 175k miles. Clutch, flywheel and some exhaust stuff was recently replaced. AFAIK it has no issues (I don't know if it has the roof creak). IMS/RMS have not been replaced. At this mileage it seems unlikely that they suddenly would, but who knows.

Anyways - 175k miles on a cheapish 996 - too much?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Arione posted:

996 never made a targa?

There was a 996 Targa after 2002. It's a big glass roof like the 997 was.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Yes, buy it.

On a different subject - I'm looking for turbo upgrades for the 2011+ 958 Cayenne Turbo and coming up short. Does anyone know which turbos are used on the 958, and any firms that are doing either turbine wheel upgrades or whole turbo replacements?

Dropping the GL?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Did this guy just cover his missing spoiler with mesh?

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5077331209.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really hope the move to turbo only doesn't start driving up the price of NA 997s :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

My Friday just got a lot more interesting. I'm going to look at the 996 buyers guide on Rennlist; anything you guys recommend I pay attention to in particular?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Your very nice 944 just got nicer; well done.

I don't have much to add to 996 chat other than if we're talking interior, it isn't that much better than the Vette. I'd put it on par with the C6.

Tremek, plz buy that SE and start a thread. The Esprit is my childhood hero car but I can't justify buying anything I need to have a relationship with like that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

martinlutherbling posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 944 as a 2nd car/fair weather Spring-Fall daily. I haven't checked out any in person yet (and probably won't start seriously looking until next March at the soonest), but a bit of quick searching shows a few pretty nice looking examples in the $5k ballpark.
I know there's a few AI guys rocking 944's, can anyone speak to what ownership is like? How's the general reliability? Maintenance costs? Fun to driveiness?

I've wondered the same thing. The two things I've always heard are:

A 944 will always cost you at least 10k. Whether you buy a fixer or buy one already fixed, you'll end up at that number.

-and-

You want the S2.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 27, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A friend of mine is selling his 996 Targa. 180k on the chassis, under 100k on the engine. The engine was replaced at some point by the owner before him under warranty. We're still trying to figure out when; I'm waiting for the dealership to get back to me. The car may need a new air/oil separator soon. His mechanic says he may be due for a clutch in another year, but he just replaced it last summer - he thinks the mechanic may be going on feel so he's replacing the helper spring to see if that helps. I haven't seen the service records but have reason to believe he's taken care of it. Anything to look for or expensive maintenance items in the 100k-200k mileage range? He's thinking of selling it for 15k but suggested I may be able to get a friend discount. I have a mechanic I trust that I can take it to for a PPI.

blk fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 16, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Been shopping for a miata and this popped up. How bad is this going to hurt my wallet?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5551836135.html

Probably the big thing to know is that they are susceptible to the same IMS failure as the 996 and early 997.

I've been thinking of dropping my NA Miata for a 987 because I'm to tall for the NA and want something more comfortable after a back injury. If anyone here has 987 experience, I'd love to hear it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wouldn't say 55k is a lot for a Porsche reliability wise. Depreciation wise may be a different story. The Spyder is so niche it's hard to say.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just done did 1500 miles with a buddy in his 911 and thinking again of Caymaning (because the two cars are obviously nothing alike but I figure a good Porsche will never be as cheap as the 987 is right now).

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5577441024.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5568878999.html

I'm looking at both this weekend. Any thoughts here besides get the IMS checked in a PPI? The S would be the obvious choice but I don't dig on the silver grille, intakes and wheels that come with the appearance package, they seem gaudy as hell, and I'm not sold on the beige interior. Which would you choose? What do you think the two cars are worth?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

There is no greater feeling of relief than when your check engine light turns off after a few start ups.

Friendly reminder that we'd drive fickle machines that get upset if we accelerate to hard before a warm up or let our gas get too low.

Italian tune up: drive the snot out of it

German tune up: keep turning the key until the electronics change their minds

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

A few years ago most shops in that business wouldn't go over 4.1L on the Mezger. I'd be interested to see the bore and stroke numbers on that build. 4.3L on an engine that was never raced over 4L. Seems like it shouldn't last long at that size but I'm sure the shop did plenty of testing.

In other news I'm finally ready to dump the STI. In the last day I drove an E90 M3 and two 997.2s (C2S and C4S). The power delivery was more fun in the M3 but the Porsche felt better in almost every other way. It's going to be fun putting a rear facing baby seat in a 911.

Keep me posted on the car seat

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm not interested in investing money/time in a 944, but I've always wondered how they drive compared to a BRZ. Has anyone tried both?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Do we think 987 Caymen are at the bottom of their depreciation curve?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

You guys are taking out loans to buy used Porsches and are really worried about the depreciation curve? Like just take a step back for a second here...

I'm interested in the curve and subsequent posters brought up loans but I don't see the topics intersecting.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does anyone here watch 997 prices? Are 997.1s still depreciating? 997.2s seem to have held relatively firm.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

MortLansky posted:

I would say first gens definitely have depreciated. I've seen fairly nice 05-06's dip into the mid-high 20k range which was pretty much exclusively Cayman territory a year or two ago. Probably because it shares the IMS problems with the 996 cars.

Yeah, I'm looking at Targas and it's basically "you can pay $30-35k for a 997.1 and possibly have a 15k repair bill for IMS and/or bore scoring or you can just pay the full $50k up front and not worry about them."

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=911

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Porsche-911-Targa-4S-/112264595467?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a237dc80b:g:9uYAAOSwA3dYdRLK&item=112264595467

The most car I'd ever want to own and I could die happy, but $300s to $500s in payments - I should go breathe into a paper bag or something.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 13, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What's a reasonable price for a super low mileage 996 4S?: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5958930720.html
low 30s? high 20s? With other cars, low mileage would strictly be a plus, but here, where's no telling what shape the M96 is in, right?

Most people on rennlist say garage queens are more susceptible to IMS failures but that may be bullshit.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

So you need a turbo or a 2009 or newer?

Yes.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
drat, 997.1s are getting cheap: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/

At 20.5k and the auction ends tomorrow. I wonder what 100k+ 997 ownership looks like. I have a friend who bought a 996 with 100k+ on it several years ago for 20 grand and is at 196k with no major issues.

I recently decided to try and kill my auto ADD and save the time/energy/money for a 997 Targa, which would be my forever car. The cheapest one I found was 32k but sold 4 hours before I called on it. I haven't seen another good one since. Even though this is not a Targa I'm highly tempted to bid if the cost of entry stays at ~10k less. If the IMS was going to be an issue I'm guessing it would've gone already. I don't need the extra power of the S, although AWD would be nice, as would a big glass sunroof.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

slidebite posted:

There can be deals on 997s to be had, but I am not convinced there is enough of a difference between them and the 996 to make them worthwhile. All things being equal, they still have most the problems that the 996s have other than the hate them or who gives a poo poo feeling of the headlights :getout:

Add onto it the early 996's can be had without traction and stability control, it's the closest to an old school air cooled you're going to get without spending mad cash.

Also, why in the gently caress am I continually looking at Cayenne's in my area even though I'm not in the market? :iiam:

The headlights thing is purely subjective but for me they're a big deal, as are some of the other styling cues (the overhangs on 996 appear larger etc, even though they're not, though that can be helped with 18" twists) - otherwise I would get an early 99 and drive the poo poo out of it.

Get an MT V6 Cayenne, they are like a big sports car that shifts like a farm truck.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I suspect it'll not hit reserve, even with a rush of activity at the end.

e: also, I looked at all cars on BaT that I've watched since they started auctions, and 50% of them are 911s. Whether or not 911s are a huge portion of listings, I didn't realize I was that anxious for one.

Whoever's selling the Biturbo chose the right week. Are you going to bid on the 997 that's up right now?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Well, that 997 sold at 28: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/
Seems like a reasonable price.

Versus 32k for my dream porsche with 2/3rds the mileage. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I wish I had moved faster on that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone know what was the last year for the MT Cayenne in the US?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What would you 996 guys offer on this?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6002050040.html

Owner seems reasonable and is selling to accumulate more sand rails/guns/other family stuff. I'm generally shooting for a 997 but think this might be a cheaper way to try on 911 ownership. Current ask in the body of the post is 17,5. I'm thinking 15?

blk fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 23, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Be aware it has a 2003 IMS bearing. It will not have the 1999 dual row.

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal. My understanding is that some 99s are not susceptible to borescoring either, but that you need the engine number to determine that.

There's a similar car priced at 14

Here's the cheapest original I've seen but the description is somewhat suspect.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

'04 turbo, stacks of dealer records to 70k, 86k but needs it's 80k service.

It followed me home, I swear.

It really fits in next to the 944 that I DD.

You bought the two Porsches that saved Porsche!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Vanity plate ideas abound! :)

blk, even with the engine replacement that 996 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love the dark blue/tan combo. It really is such a bummer the engine is replaced.

Test drive that one to set a base line, then buy this one because it's a better buy (and still has a cool color combo): https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/5994199714.html

Actually for me, the red interior is even better than tan, but I know that I'm the car guy equivalent of a foot fetishist or something when it comes to funky car interiors.

Hey buddy, good to hear from ya!

I drove the blue/tan today and goddamn was it a clean car. Definitely the cleanest and tightest 996 I've driven of 3. I liked the options combo (active exhaust mod, NO BOSE, m030 european suspension package, upgraded lights, sport seats, newer 18s). It's pretty much exactly the way I'd want a 996 configured other than the color, and it came with about 5 inches of receipts from 2 owners, plus current seller who bought it when he moved here 6 months ago and is selling to buy a fleet of ATVs.

What's holding me back: I'm not sure i want a 996 over a 997 ( it is 10-15k cheaper for essentially the same car, but I'm a styling dork), it's narrow body, he's firm at 17.5, and the engine has about 60k on it which I presume means clutch is coming up soon, which also means my opportunity to replace the IMS comes up soon, and those jobs are of the caliber where I'd pay someone else to do them. I'm not sure what the combined while-you're-in-there work would come to $$$ wise, but it might break the value proposition for this particular car if I reach 20 out of pocket. Ima call my shop on Monday.

I used to love silver on red cars but for some reason they don't do it for me anymore. Not sure about the bodykit either.

I think if I want a 996 it will have to be 15k or under and/or have the replacement bearing already installed. A give-no-fucks cheap 911 I could beat on would be amazing.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

That's really a pretty good car at 17.5k and while it might not seem worth it, you could at least use it as a trial run and sell it for the same amount pretty easily.

You think so? I don't really know the market for 996s since everyone I know thumbs their noses at them. My general impression is that engine replacements and IMS fears tend to turn people off; plus a year of mileage on the car would put me near or at six digit odometer readings. That said, it is a really clean example of the model, and if I don't buy it a long distance buyer will following scheduled PPI on Tuesday. If I could comfortably get out of it for what I put in it, I would do it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I will check on the AOS.

Important question I forgot: I probably won't be able to get a shop to PPI in time before the other shopper. Would you guys buy this car without one? Extensive documentation and everything works, but...

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I realized I was mistaken and that putting a rear-facing car seat in the 996 is pretty much _not_ feasible. My kid is 18 months away from front facing, meaning I'd have to put him up front in the interim - which I'm not opposed to, but if the car is to be an effective two seater I'd probably get a cheap Cayman instead, or just wait until I find the right 997 and put him up front until I have room in the back.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I did it in a BRZ, I'm sure you can do it in a 911. It'll just be a question of finding the right seat that fits. You can probably find a thread on rennlist with good info, I've even got one favorited for the 997: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/106792-rear-child-seat-997-any-new-experiences-2.html

18 months goes by fast. My youngest just turned two and now I'm looking at coupes again like a motherfucker :)

I think I have the same thread bookmarked for the 997. I assumed the same would extend to the 996 but I was mistaken. Anyhow, I just have to learn to be patient.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you rear-engined menschen think of RWD vs AWD on 911s in the wet? Last time I drove a RWD 996 I nearly got the tail out around me on a downward twist and am wondering if I'm just an idiot or if I need to be additionally careful with a RR car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DevCore posted:

I will check that tomorrow when I take it out for a test ride.

Also, is there a site that provides which specific engine is in a car using either the VIN or stock number?
I found a decent price/mileage 2009 Cayman and I can't tell if it still has the IMS bearing.

2009 and up you should be good

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Stupid question - why are clutches replaced so frequently on 911s? Every used car I look at seems to have 30k-60k mile clutch intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6070079228.html

Am I stupid for letting this go? Good deal or just another 996?

Pros: RMS/IMS have been done, it's mechanically tight except for needing a brake refresh, I slightly prefer the road manners of the C4 to the C2
Cons: chipped paint on all four wheels, beat up center console, worn out handbrake handle and steering wheel, flakey AC display. The interior on my 106k mile Subaru is in better shape than this 40k mile Porsche.

I'm thinking of holding out for a 997 [hopefully Targa] once I get marriage and everything else shored up and figured out. The 996 really got under my skin during the test drive, though...

blk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 5, 2017