Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I wonder how much other hideous Onslaught block art was due to overuse of digital manipulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

In Return to Tarkir, Renouned Weaponsmith becomes a planeswalker. He time-travels back to the days of the kingdom of Alaborn in the plane of Dominaria during Fate Reloaded. Then he spreads the use of firearms throughout Tarkir for the setting of Guns of Tarkir.

There will be enemy fetch lands. Maybe a Metal Gear.

In the second set of that block, Sarkhan and Ugin's children must team up to save the world from the NRA. That'll be the backdrop for Sons of Tarkir.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

Random tribal lord at Mythic?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

See now this is good.

That feels so much more mythic than the random zombie lord. Protects itself, gains life, and shuts down blockers. Probably would be good in Block if that still existed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

It probably had Flying instead of Deathtouch but the artist heard "Raptor" and thought dinosaur instead of bird and they had to change the card to match the art.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zoness posted:

Did someone confirm a stifle reprint?

No but in a surprise twist, the next block is actually Half Life 3.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Those are some terrible 'chops you got there, G-Man.

Also that looks like such an awkward 3D render.

e: it's the goofy lens flare.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Art for upcoming spoiler

Mother of Runes Axes :black101:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zemyla posted:

That is terrible baby carrying technique. You want to have your baby snug on your back like a backpack, not flopping around like a purse.

It toughens them up early.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

For seven mana, having a beefier Bogardan Hellkite that can't dome the opponent seems incredibly underwhelming. They could have just made it cost eight and deal five to each creature and planeswalker the opponent controls.

Making creatures just have a large power and toughness doesn't make them feel mythic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Starving Autist posted:

While it can't dome the opponent, the bigger body plus trample somewhat makes up for that. Note that it can roast multiple planeswalkers, which is not something you often get to do with one card. I like that it turns on formidable all by itself, too.

If you're paying seven mana, your five damage probably isn't going to roast multiple planeswalkers. They've either gone ultimate or have a ton of loyalty. Hell it doesn't even kill a Hornet Queen and tokens!

The card would be decent and feel cool but not playable if it did eight damage. It can't target players. Five DA!age doesn't even kill several five mana creatures in standard which is just silly. It can't kill Surrak, new Sidisi, or Doomwake.

The old Atarka felt more mythic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

No wonder Thomas Goyf is so angry. He has such poor eyesight that he can't tell he's about to eat a zombie. I'd be angry too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Baseless G/W Command speculation:

Destroy target enchantment
Fog
Put some tokens into play
Giant Growth something.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Oh hey it isn't garbage. Color me surprised.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Guys, Sarkhan is scared. He doesn't know where he put his hands, and he doesn't know how these dragon heads got on his arms. Please help him :ohdear:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Not 100% sure why I did this but I couldn't get the image out of my head as soon as I realized what the new Duress art reminded me of.

She's using that Dragon Rage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

I wish they just replaced the pack-per-win queues with the 6-3-2-2's for everything, since the only real point of the swiss is getting to play three rounds.

I would not be unhappy if everything was 6-2-2-2s.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Don't let Lee Sharpe hear you or they're going to take that extra pack away and claim players were asking for it :ssh:

If they come out with 6-1-2-2 queues I'll laugh and laugh and laugh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So, the new Legacy Cube. Did they intentionally lower the power level? There are a LOT of completely nonsense cards in the new MTGO cube, that are basically just unplayable, but then there's also the Splinter Twin which seems waaaaay better than playing Vampire Interloper or Overrun. Good limited cards versus the best Modern combo seems like a poor matchup.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Ok update on the UB deck,

it really feels like harassment playing against the ramp deck

(G1 was using Control Magic on their Elesh Norn)

Man you aren't nearly greedy enough. I wouldn't have countered there, I would have copied it twice and made a giant army. Avengers of Zendikar are sweet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Man this draft went pretty well! And that was only the first two packs!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Splash white drat you

You have Elesh Norn and 6* mana dorks

Also got an Armageddon. Never saw Temple Garden or Savannah. Just gonna sit on that sideboard option.

Rest in peace Farseek.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So they banned Cruise and left Cloud of Faeries? I mean I guess Familiar and Delver weren't good enough already, thanks for killing U/B Delve and weakening Kiln Fiend while leaving the strongest combo and strongest tempo decks around.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

I think Cabal Therapy is probably too good for Modern, but might be fine for Standard or if they want Modern to be 100% Abzan Hellscape forever. Therapy seems good in a format where Lingering Souls is playable.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Alaan posted:

At this point you could fill a commander deck with nothing but repeat legends and still have some selection on which ones you use. Karona would have to be your commander since she is made up of two other legends plus some other schmuck, one of which has two versions as well!

Both Phage and Akroma have two versions - Jeska/Phage, Akromas Angel of Wrath/Fury. Throw in Akroma's Memorial too. Add in Sword of Vengeance, equip it onto Akroma, Angel of Wrath.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I lived the dream:

My opponent mulliganed to 5, kept a 1 lander, missed his second land drop three times and third another time, and I activated Vraska knowing they had Day of Judgment in hand from an early Gitaxian Probe. I could not resist.

Angry Grimace posted:

The client on MODO actually works fine, it just sucks if you don't have like 8 GB of RAM, e.g. my workstation before I upgraded it.

I have 16GB and an i7-4790, it still is way slower and more unstable than it should reasonably be expected to be.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

R

Draw three cards, then put two cards at random from your hand on top in a random order.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Yeah there are plenty of ways to break that card. It depends on what your goal is with a storm-like mechanic. You could make a more constructed playable version of sphinx-bone wand/shrine of burning rage maybe.

Shrine of Burning Rage is already insane. Probably the third best cube card for red aggro decks, and if it were common I'd be running four in Pauper burn. It was even good in Standard, just not quite good enough against Delver/Caw Blade.

Reprint Shrine please Wizards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Variance is a loving rear end in a top hat. Also I won this game - my opponent chumped my 4/4 with 3 creatures for no apparent reason in three turns while they were at 14, 14, and 10, and then drew green but I finally drew a spell. Thanks for throwing the game against an opponent on 4 spells 12 lands MTGO dude!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Also the culture has this really repelling way of trying to argue with every little thing and prove everyone wrong at any possibility, which I definitely never take advantage of. Stop this poo poo forever. Stop the pedantry. Stop trying to prove people wrong. Stop trying to be right about everything.

I don't have to try to be right about everything :smugdog:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I have played three tournaments in the past two years - Theros Prerelease, Fate Reforged Prerelease, and Dragons Prerelease.

Overall record: 1557-771-205
Win percentage ignoring draws: 66.881443
Win percentage including draws: 61.468614

Jesus Christ I played a lot of Magic the Gathering when I was a kid.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, I went into that one with a pretty good idea that the takeaway would be "Hypergenesis is loving stupid", and my expectations were blown away. If they could only have one card in Modern banned, Hypergenesis would probably be it.

Skullclamp by a mile, but Hypergenesis probably beats out the cantrips and the rest.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Four Score posted:

lmfao they posted the wrong winner, Pete was the other Merfolk player in top 8 who I beat round 2.

Sorry man his deck is way sweeter so he earned the win on style points.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

There was something we used to talk about in this thread....

I can't remember for the life of me...

Sorry dude I haven't played Yugioh in years.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm in Denver for a few days. Where is the best place to play draft or modern for FNM?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

black potus posted:

at least one of them via the drug trade!!!!!!

I was never convicted!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BattleCake posted:

He also has probably the best attitude I've ever seen among any kind of gamer (TCG, Video game, and otherwise). I've seen a lot of people rage at MtG and other games so it's refreshing to see someone like LSV who takes losses and whatnot in stride with a positive attitude. I've even seen him be pretty happy when he loses to sweet plays, he just has a love of the game.

The only times I've seen LSV unhappy were when the Ponder bug on MTGO turned a match win with a very sweet storm cube deck into a loss, and when one of the high-profile cheaters were doing something very terrible.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JerryLee posted:

The long-awaited Family Matters block.

Isn't Dragons of Tarkir the Family Matters set?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

So, since nobody's said anything, how's the packaging?

Is it reusable so that people can make MMA cube drafts?

As cool as mixed martial arts cube drafts would be I think the DCI prohibits violence during organized play, so it'd be a strictly casual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Come play pauper with me on MTGO, you don't have to worry about prices too much.

Please.

Anyone.

Convince Lee Sharpe to stop sabotaging Pauper players with poo poo daily times.

• Locked thread