Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Literally what Labyrinth Champion could've been, holy poo poo.

I want to play with these so bad.

Edit: And then I searched the thread harder and saw that it's all dragons and not just it.

Buying a playset as soon as they're pre-orderable, I'm gonna enjoy curving into that and Stormbreath. Wow.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

STiL. posted:

My absolute favourite thing about spoiler season is everyone going absolute batshit about new cards, presumably so that when Standard Playable Chase Rare is playable they can look at their posts and pat themselves on the back for being how right they were.

And then mcmagic also shows up to poo poo on everybody's parade.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Gods too, but no one's playing any of the multicolor ones except the odd Pharika here and there.

Keranos is in a couple Jeskai Control lists, isn't he?

I know I run him in my Temur Midrange list in the sideboard for when I want to play Control

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And then you get the stuff nobody expects to be good but turns out is, like Kiora and Keranos.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

I honestly thought Kiora had a lot of fantastic potential to begin with. Keranos though, I don't think anyone could have predicted him showing up in multiple eternal formats.

I dabbled with her for a long time, and I really enjoy what she brings to the table.

I did have a situation where my opponent of Abzan Midrange had a Rhino and a Caryatid out, and I had Kiora and a Knuckleblade with countermagic backup for removal, and every time I would just swing with Knux, he wouldn't block because then I pump it and kill his Rhino, and then second main plus Kiora and his Rhino couldn't do dick until my turn in which I did it again.

Her main problem is that doesn't work nearly as well against multiple threats. I love playing her but she's kind of a situational walker.

Still better than Ral Zarek, unfortunately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What the gently caress is that Shaman.

What the gently caress new commands yessss.

They just made a "worse" Cryptic command and I don't know how to feel about it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Of all of those, Pristine Skywise looks like it's the strongest.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

But Searing Spear > Lightning Strike :qq:

I would prefer Searing Spear, it just sounds cooler to "Spear you." than "Strike you."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just wait until they announce Liferite Shaman

Personally I can't wait for Jace, the Brain Bender.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

In fact, reprint Cryptic

Do this so I can actually play Scapeshift.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Curious about the reason for the differentiation.

Dust gets in the first sleeve but not the second.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Double sleeved cards don't move in the sleeve much due to friction (or just size). This is actually why I don't use Hyper Mattes unless I'm double-sleeving - they're a little too big so the card moves around in the sleeve if they aren't double sleeved and then the card gets wear on the edge.

I thought hyper mattes were made that way specifically to let you double sleeve with perfect fits?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

All this talk about card protection is making me think about getting a new binder.
How's this for cringe:
I'm currently using an old 3 ring with some ultrapro pages, I have a bunch of 30-40 dollar rares in there, no sleeves.

My shocklands and fetches are also stuck in stacks of 2, again no sleeves.

Any suggestions on better practice besides get a not poo poo binder?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Anybody ever get the feeling that sometimes while they look through retail boosters that some of them feels slightly heavier?

Because every time I've impulsed bought off that feeling I've opened a foil am I weird???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's weird because I get this tingling sensation in my hand and I don't understand why.

But every time I've trusted it there's a loving foil in the pack. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in your graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

Not confirmed, although it looks pretty real to me.

Holy poo poo I want this forever.

Nevermind the second ability, a 6/5 that goes fast and gives everything else fast is radical.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Actually, I think that's a mistranslation, judging by a google translate of the original article, and of the card. It should be if they cast a copy of a spell that's in *their* graveyard, which seems a lot better.

It actually seems like that would be disgustingly broken.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

That's a nasty card, and randomly swingy in a way I don't like. I mean, 10 life? Good thing it's not "spells"

You gotta play around the fact that while it's on board you can't play poo poo that got murdered. Not too hard I guess?

Granted, couple people were saying the new Ob Nixilus would see play if fetchlands became a thing, but that never happened, unfortunately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aah, Narset the Mind Sculptor.

I want them. Forever.

I'm willing to break my clause of not playing White for the remainder of this standard to play them.

At worst she comes down and gets downfalled but maybe replaces herself in your hand, I'm really digging her +1 by the way, it's Domri's for wizardry. At best she's a loving house and makes your most powerful spells cast twice for free.

I'm buying a box for sure now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

Narset is insane, but the -2 doesn't seem that great for straight up control because giving rebound to a counterspell or wrath does nothing. In a UWR counter-burn deck it seems very good though.

In standard right now you could Rebound Crux of Fate if you really felt like it, which guarantees your opponent doesn't won't reload their board after you cast it.

Control likes when the opponent doesn't re-play poo poo after their wipe, right? Then there's also the Jeskai Control deck which would be throwing around charms, stokes, and the like. All of those seem like perfectly good targets.

Edit:
I think this is Wizards finally coming out and saying that they're not afraid to make powerful walkers anymore, Narset basically confirms we're going to probably see poo poo around this power level from now on.

Also, speculation time:

Sarkhan, Unbound will be R/G and cost 5 mana, after reading his story he seems more like a Temur clanmate than a Mardu one, and they've gone the way of Atarka, I hope for vomiting of dragons

Taigam will probably be replacing Narset as the Jeskai "Khan but not Khan" in the cycle.

The red 2/1 with Megamorph rare in that cycle is going to be a babby dragon and suck really badly.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

In standard Narset looks very good, I meant a UW modern control deck with verdicts etc.

The way U/W Control looks in Modern, I have to agree.

I mean I'd personally like to -2 her, Serum Visions, and then potentially scry my wincon to the top and draw 1 scry 2, draw 1 next turn.

That sounds powerful as gently caress and I'm so glad she exists.

DarkRider09 posted:

All I want to do now is cast treasure cruise with rebound.

The vaaaaluuuue.

It's like I delve for Cruise and then it Delves itself and casts for free.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy jesus, Narset is insane. If people start playing more UW in my area I'm gonna have to hold a hero's downfall in hand forever just to deal with her asap. That ult is murder. Wonder if you could do an esper control thing with Sorin?

I think it'd be more of Narset and Ashiok dream team given that he'd be the supply of men that keeps your Superfriends safe from things marching over your islands.

Tubgoat posted:

Son of a goddamn bitch, what the gently caress is with their loving blue boner? Be this good to red mages EVER.
Origins better have a playable 1RR Chandra. Or RRR, it's not like I'm gonna play a different color unless someone gives me $1000 SCG store credit.

Fake edit: Jesus Christ, that would get me a set of Goyf and 2 Liliveil, gently caress this game.

But, Pyromaster is going on it's 3rd year in standard???

Also Ablaze is perfectly fine in EDH.

I'm in your boat too friend I'm just trying to make light of the situation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

I'm anticipating Sultai control adding white for Narset possibly. Sultai charm is the cleanest rebound target of all since it basically does whatever you need it to do in addition to having a digmode and there's not a better shell for superfriends right now than Sultai.

I'm currently working on assembling Sultai Superfriends just because I have the walkers minus an Apex Predator and I could see splashing white for Narset.

There's also the fact that the deck has access to the best 0/3 with hexproof ramper in standard, too.

I really need to finish P4G..

Mercury Crusader posted:

With Dragon Fodder being reprinted, I wonder how many decks will either substitute Hordeling Outburst for it or run them alongside one another. My current Mardu Warrior Tokens rogue deck thing can probably use it but depending on what else gets spoiled I may just play some BR aggro deck instead. rip wedges

I could see the decks that run outburst also run Dragon Fodder.

All this does is give me a reason to buy the old verion with the better art.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

All the value in the set will be on her. I think she sill settle at 20-30 I'll get my set then some later time she'll go up.

You say that, and then watch, we're getting Zendikar fetches.

I want to believe.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

I've never purchased a booster box before, and I really just started playing a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I want to buy a box though. Does the promo for buying a booster work the same at any LGS? Do I need to preorder? How's this work?

Generally preorder can be as simple as "I'd like to preorder a box." and then they'll tell you something along the lines of

"Sure just pay part or all of it down right now."
Or
"Sure we'll put one aside for you for release day just pay for it when you come get it."

The promo is generally limited quantity so the sooner is probably the better if you really want the promo.

Angry Grimace posted:

Earlier this year a guy asked at our LGS if they still had the Box promo (Rattleclaw Mystic), and the guy said no.

So instead he gave him the M15 promo (Goblin Rabblemaster).

I'd take that offer any day of the week holy poo poo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alaan posted:

Remember it took a while until everyone noticed how insane rabble is.

The store owner of the place I bought my box of M15 was really confused as to why I wanted the Rabblemaster promo so badly, he said that it was "really really poo poo."

I wish I had bought a lot more when they were a buck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I'm going to play Goblin tribal at FNM with Obelisk of Urd. You can't stop me, I'm going to do this.

Why would we stop you?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

Will Narset's -2 work with Temporal Trespass? The card is going to the exile zone either way.

I think it works the same way Ghost Council worked with Whip of Erebos?

You're replacing "Exile Temporal Trespass" with "Exile Temporal Trespass"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I want a Form of the Dragon reprint.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RME posted:

this will go great in my mono red edh deck

Norin the Wary DOES benefit from a 1 drop that bounces itself doesn't he!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's not happening and you know it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Isn't the point of Merfolk to cast Spreading Seas on an opponent so that all your Merfolk can't be blocked? Even so I'm down with Modern tribal, my first Modern deck was a Goblins deck that I still have and I spent an afternoon last weekend thinking up a Sliver deck for Modern that kind of gave me Merfolk vibes.

Generally when you play Merfolk you will side out the seas if by any chance your opponent is also playing islands because you don't need to meet that condition.

But then you have poo poo like Jeskai Control which isn't about that all Islands life so you Seas their Steam Vents and Hallowed Fountains and make them sad.

On that mention I also 3-0'd my local modern tournament as Merfolk, nobody was expecting to see fish and so I won all my games handily.

It feels really good to Vapor Snag an Inkmoth Nexus that's been pumped by Pendelhaven and Groundswell for 5 lethal poison and watch them scoop. Really, really does.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

I dislike that art quite a bit

How can you hate that art? It's amazing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean Durdle Turtle can be fun sometimes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

I like to call him Durdle the Turtle, because I grew up on Doctor Seuss.

Oh, the places he'll go!

Like the exile, then the graveyard, then the bulk bin.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's a really good card.

Your options can be as simple as it being a Skullcrack for RG and that's actually a really good "getcha" pump, putting a land onto the battlefield at instant speed also seems like something they haven't done often outside of land having that ability themselves.

I could see burn maybe running these if R/G Burn becomes more of a thing, don't they play R/W and splash Black and Green for Bump in the Night and utility?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Lands can't do it themselves, Rosewater has said several times that he's tried to get a land with flash but it has the small problem of just not working in the rules.

The problem with splashing too many colors in burn is that the pain actually gets to you and allows you to be raced by aggressive decks and the mirror.

I was more referring to lands that blow themselves up to put lands on the board, like Fetches and Evolving Wilds, but I get you.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

New Drokoma is neat and will totally go into Scion of the Ur-Dragon. You know, like every dragon.

Zurgo is a really good one drop god drat.

The Raptor looks alright I guess.

I think Exemplars is going to make people really sad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Exemplars is actually worse than Mentor even though a lot of people poo poo on Mentor for being 2/2 and not pooping monks on his own. It costs 4 and doesn't trigger Prowess on any of your other guys. A much better play in that slot is probably just casting Narset.

Hey probably.

I'm not okay with all these mythic slots being filled with rare quality cards to be honest.

Just spoil Surrak the Hunt Caller already. Also the new Sarkhan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The trick is to then shatter or naturalize the other one for maximum jank.

The real trick is to play it with Goblin Welder and then pay R and tap it to take another turn and get back your scariest artifact creature that got put in your graveyard. Because you are all about that Daretti EDH life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually did the art for the FoW reprint and I asked them why they needed Ojutai doing such a smug pose, as I thought the rough draft looked like a typical counterspell.

Ken Nagle pulled me into his secret sky fortress (not an underground lair because the ground is the graveyard and there lies dredge!!!!) and relayed to me the secret cardboard wizard code, "the Crow caws at midnight"

I ran this through Google translator from English to German to Russian and then back to English and it said Force of Will Reprint!!!!

• Locked thread