Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok, so here's a serious question: how did Silumgar, a 3/7, kill Tasigur, a 4/5? Even if Silumgar was attacking and Tasigur gained flying he couldn't get the job done. 0/5 flavor. Nice try Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a nonbasic land.
3/2

:getin:

obviously way too strong for standard. maybe if I changed it to "sacrifice two lands?"

Destroy target land you control, Sea Drake style. :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

So which side up is the correct way to sleeve your cards? Bottom of card to bottom of sleeve or the opposite?

Perfect fit with the opening on the bottom of the card, regular sleeve on top facing up. But really, as long as they're uniform it doesn't matter.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Curious about the reason for the differentiation.

It doesn't matter which way you sleeve it. I just said that way is correct because it's the way I do it. As long as every card is sleeved the same way, you're good.

Count Bleck posted:

Dust gets in the first sleeve but not the second.

Also this.

Edit: I don't think I've ever changed the perfect fits on any of my legacy cards but I change the regular sleeves every month or 2 at most.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 4, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

When single-sleeving (which is all I do now, I'm lazy) I prefer the opening at the top. The reason being that gravity will pull the cards downwards and out of the sleeve as you hold them in your hand, which increases the chances for it to either fall out entirely (unlikely) or to poke out and create the opportunity for edge-wear. I've never seen anyone sleeve them with the opening at the bottom, actually.

I accidentally sleeved my first modern deck with all the perfect fits opening up, and I didn't care enough to fix them so I just put the regular sleeves on upside down. The only reason I could ever tell the difference was the Ultrapro hologram was on top of the card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Edit: ^^^

C-Euro posted:

When you say Ugin, do you pronounce it like the liquor or like you would say "begin"? I just remembered that I heard someone use the former the other day but I've saying it like the latter ever since the name first appeared.

Ooh-gin. I've heard Ooh-jin, but those people are wrong. I'll never call him Eugene.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

That's okay. You can still put Stifle on it. :v:

But you can't Stifle the draw step anymore! The dream truly is dead.

Also, just use Orim's Chant on your stick. It doesn't tap them down, but whatever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Froghammer posted:

I know this is just a thing that people say, but don't do that, it's just a shittier Eternal Witness.

It's just a second Eternal Witness, you mean!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Making top eight should have earned you more than two packs, and I can't really think of a scenario where this would make sense unless there were only twelve people in the event or something.

I mean, top 4 split a box so the prize payout sounds pretty terrible. I got 6 packs for taking 6th in a 15 person GPT, and $30 in credit for 3rd in another with like 12. Wouldn't it have been top 4 if it was only 12 people? I've never seen an event with less than 16 people cut to top 8 instead of 4.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

InterrupterJones posted:

You could spend half that price to get judge promo versions instead.

As for a worse version of it, probably depends on what deck you're wanting to use it in. Admittedly, I'm not sure what decks other than Painter combo use it.

Aluren!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

....is that a Fleecemane Lion set to Dragons?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

Hey.

Hey.

What kind of dragon makes the best gravy?

Au-jus-tai.

:golfclap:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

I'm working on a Sultai Control deck and so far it's coming along nicely. Still need to hunt down 4 decently priced Temple of Malady, and maybe an extra Garruk or Ugin. Apparently everyone is running Thoughtseize though, which is rather expensive. I've got one, do I really need to drop 60 bucks on three more? Can Despise function as a decent substitute? Planning to try to go to a Standard event sometime next week for the first time.

I have a Russian and English Ugin if you need another. And yeah, Thoughtseize is necessary. You'll want to get your Thoughtseizes sooner rather than later, anyway, so you might as well bite the bullet. Go check the MtG Buying and Selling thread if you want to buy them. I'm sure someone has some Thoughtseizes to sell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

A card called Angry Mob is white, i stopped looking after seeing that.

And that card hates Black. :ohdear:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lancelot posted:

magic has so much diversity

Sleeves vs. no sleeves is pretty diverse.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wizards R&D:
Hey guys, let's put incidental life gain on everything. Everything.

Nice format, idiots.

Angry Grimace posted:

If this deck doesn't have a solution every deck can play, something's getting banned because it would be disastrous for the game.

Perilous Vault.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

qbert posted:

Daniel must be thanking that judge so hard now.

It's the right call. He probably could have shortcutted it so he didn't shuffle - he hadn't scryed or anything - but he would have had to check with his opponent first.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

whydirt posted:

The green spell can counter blue/black removal, you dummies.

It's basically Autumn's Veil. It counters Downfall.

I hope the red hate spell is Burnout but for blue and white and not a slowtrip.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

qbert posted:

Just reprint Pyroblast. What could go wrong?

Wizards doesn't want us to have fun in modern or standard so it'll just be Combust.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

If RUG isn't good, the format is terrible. Note that modern and standard are bad formats. QED

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm not even going to dignity you linking to that trash with a response.

I have been playing that Hoogland RUG deck, more or less, for a year and a half except my Blood Moons are in the board. It's fine but it's pretty weak to Jund, and even weaker to Junk (although I haven't played it since Skrillex was dropped for Rhino, so who knows?) which you may recognize as probably the best decks in the format. The lack of any actual good countermagic really hurts it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Remember when Mystical Tutor searched for interrupts and mana sources letting you yoink lands out of your deck. :allears:

Lands aren't mana sources! :goonsay:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mr. Peepers posted:

I can't wait to put 4 Lightning Berserkers into my Norin Soul Sisters deck.

I love this idea, but they're just worse Norins. What would you take out?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That's a grown-up Feed the Clan fish. For how much I don't care about this set, they put a lot of cool things in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugh, I bought a $12 card on eBay that I wanted to use tonight at FNM, but of course the dude randomly decided to spend an extra $5 to ship certified with signature confirmation (which was even dumber since he didn't charge for shipping) so I have to drive down to the Post Office tomorrow and stand in a 20 minute long line (there is always a 20 minute long line at my post office) to retrieve the loving card.

I get that eBay fucks sellers these days, but gently caress it, I just take the 3 minutes to prep the card right to put it in the regular mail (I sell cards all the time and have never had any problems). Its just not worth it to spend $5 and inconvenience the poo poo out of the buyer just to protect your remaining $7.

I've got a Judge Lightning Bolt coming from England that's been sitting in NYC Customs for 50 days. So now I'm stuck with 2 chump Revised Bolts and 2 Judge Bolts until someone can figure out why it's stuck in Customs.

But yeah, I really hate when people don't bother telling you they're sending it certified, especially because until I complained recently our driver never actually tried to deliver them and I had to pick it up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Minority Deport posted:

Someone went through and made a pretty exhaustive list of all the time parallels. Most of them are pretty obvious, but there's some cool stuff in there I didn't notice before, like Feed The Clan -> Ancient Carp.

I posted that like 2 pages ago. It's the best thing in this set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro has already said there's very little design space left in dual lands. If you take a look back, you'll notice they haven't made much headway in innovation in the last what, decade? Its all just rehashes of the same types of duals or lands that care about block mechanics. The Future Sight lands aren't additional design space. They're lands that already exist that WOTC doesn't like enough to reprint for whatever reason.

Even the Future Sight lands weren't that original. Horizon Canopy is just a slightly different pain land. Grove is a reverse pain land. Cairns is just a mostly better Skyshroud Claim et al (and that cycle's done anyway.) River of Tears is original but would make a pretty terrible cycle. Nimbus Maze is pretty much the only original one that would make a good cycle.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fiend Computer posted:

Red players tend to be the most handsome, and physically active magic players.

Source: I play red.

Is the requirement playing red or playing mono-red? Because I mostly play red, but I'd never play mono-red.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Archfiend of Depravity as anti GW Mastery tech.

Dragon Throne of Tarkir for the mirror.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Back in my day we mocked females, because for some reason we can't fathom the fact that WOMEN can play a CARD GAME 'designed' for MEN.

Oh wait no we still do that because human beings are permanently stuck in the pedantic children phase.

For all the proof of this you'll ever need, just watch SCG's Twitch whenever a moderately attractive girl is on screen. Then watch people's responses to getting timed out. I've had to block entirely to many people using the term "SJW" unironically.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Edit: ^^^^ This is my favorite thing.

Kyrosiris posted:

I still don't understand why they brought the chat back.

It was always there on mobile, it was free, and it was infinitely better.

dragon enthusiast posted:

i thought it was applied to people like that one SCG writer who got fired cause he wanted to kill everybody related to gamergate

It's pretty much used for anyone who defends women for any reason. Telling people to quit being neanderthals who chant "girl" whenever one shows up on screen? SJW.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't remember who it was that had a custom title branding them a "huge human being" due to their opinion on fetchlands. I'm also surprised there aren't more custom titles thrown on people who say some card isn't that good, since telling someone their pet card sucks is a huge trigger for angry freak-outs.

Someone also got one for crying about using foreign language cards, I thought. It might have been the same person, actually - I think the foreign card thing started because he supposedly couldn't tell the difference between Tarns and Steam Vents or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

At a GPT yesterday I had someone cast Gods Willing to give their big heroic dude protection from White in response to my Elspeth -3. Ok. Resolves. You get to scry. Now your creature dies. Yes it does.

Not using the old rules! You kids and your new rules. Back in my day we had mana burn and damage on the stack and Morphling was the strongest creature and it was excellent. :colbert:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

That's a horse not a dragon. Don't care if anyone beat me to this.

Any results from eternal extravaganza 2?

My buddy got 3rd in legacy using my Chains of Mephistopheles to do gross things with Dack Fayden. Apparently I'm getting something for letting him borrow my Chains (see this is how you thank people for borrowing your cards, nerds.) I'll give a trip report of what he gives me (besides my $300 sideboard card back) on Friday.

Edit: It was actually the guy you met at GPNJ.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 16, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. Discard two, draw two, discard two. It's a replacement effect right? It sounds really painful if you time it correctly. Notion Thief is a good idea for my dank faygo deck, and it doesn't cost 300 bucks! Nice suggestion.

Discard 1, draw 1, discard 1, draw 1, discard 2. I've Notion Thief'd him in response to his Dack + before. It felt so good except he had The Abyss in play so I lost anyway.

He said he got someone who had tapped out for a Stoneforge for Batterskull and had 1 other card in his hand. I'm so proud my card could be involved in that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fiend Computer posted:

Okay, I thought so, but I had someone argue that I couldn't. Thanks!

Not only that, but if you put the tap trigger on the stack before the Fading trigger, you only really have to tap 2 things because you have the Tangle Wire while they still have to tap 4.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I once accidentally entered an MTGO Vintage tournament with my Brave Naya RTR-THS standard deck.

I joined a modern 2-man with Blue Tron instead of Norin Soul Sisters once bu accident.

My buddy 3/1d a Vintage dailywith modern Burn when MTGO decided to load the wrong deck in the wrong format. To be fair he's also in the VSL, sooo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Since I already have an Ugin, do you have a link to a Mono-U Tron primer or somesuch?

I have a list, anyway. I'm still not sure what the 61st card is. I want to say Ugin #2 or Mindslaver #2 but I haven't really gotten to play with Ugin yet so I don't know how good he is.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 19, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My maindeck is almost exactly the same as yours, except I run a 1/1 split of mindslaver and plat angel main. I only run 1 Ugin. I figure I can't fabricate or treasure mage it, and it can't be reused by academy ruins, so I'd maximize slots for wincons that can. I have gotten to resolve him a few times though, and he is pretty crushing. A lot of decks just flat out can't win against a resolved Ugin. He's an amazing follow-up after you pop an o-stone.

That's actually why I wanted 2 Ugins. Everything else I effectively have 5 copies of. I've been really unimpressed with the Angel. Either it gets blown up and I lose, it gets bounced and I lose, or it could have been any other 7-cost artifact and I'd still have won. It's good against burn just because it gains me 6 life, but pretty much every other deck can deal with it if the game gets to that point. I was thinking about trying Platinum Emperion because it's not something that will realistically get burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

qbert posted:

Has anyone noticed that not only does Virulent Plague hose token strategies, but it's also really good anti-Elspeth tech?

My favorite wincon :(

It might even be Vintage playable! It hoses Dredge, Delver, and Oath.

• Locked thread