Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

I'm extremely disappointed with megamorph. I was really hoping they would create a keyword like:

Boltguy 1R
Sorcery
Boltguy deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Keyword R (you can play this as a morph for 3, then cast it at any time for R).

It's just so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

oh god it avoids wraths

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're not wrong but none of them do crazy poo poo.

Like Keranos is the closest one to doing crazy poo poo and he's still just "draw a card or bolt per turn :shrug:"

Theros as a block seemed to cater to new players more than veterans, which is fine once in a while. The draft strategy was easy, the story was simple and reflected a low-power environment, and thematically it set up for the years-long Eldrazi thing they have coming. That the gods are unimpressive is part of the world -- they can't be that awesome because they're supposed to be totally lovely compared to the Eldrazi/Phyrexians/other Planeswalkers/nextVillainThatSellsPacks.

Also, even though the block was pretty meh to veterans, that strategy worked -- Theros block got tons of new people into the game and gave them time to get acclimated to MtG as a whole, so when the next set came out and its chase rares were some lands that don't even tap for mana they were ready to go "oh poo poo a Windswept Heath this is great!" It's a good time to play the game.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Shota plays Icefall Regent
Ondrej plays Dragonlord Atarka, kills it
Shota plays Dragonlord Silumgar, steals it
Ondrej plays Dragonlord Atarka, kills it, has to sac one to the legend rule
Shota plays Dragonlord Silumgar, steals it

Sarkhan dancing around in the background shouting "THIS IS AWESOME"

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Veyrall posted:

I haven't seen this NPR article shared yet. It's so weird to hear about this from a totally uninvolved perspective.

"The Ugin"

FRF was a really good time for that story, honestly. Imagine the same reactions if they'd gone to a pre-release for, say, DGM...

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm talking about correcting the combat that just finished though. End of combat, life totals have been updated, creatures sent to the graveyard, oh hang on you should have taken 2 more and this blocker should be dead.

If you're at FNM, call a judge. Regular REL says that a judge can back the game up if it's not overly disruptive and will otherwise leave the game state alone. In this case they'd probably back up to before combat on this turn since the +1/+0 can change decisions about blocking.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

There is going to be a 1B - Instant - Destroy target colorless creature.

Not the Doom Blade we deserved, but the Doom Blade we needed.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Instead of using rice you can also use a silica gel packet (go find a shoebox, there's one in there). They work very well for what they do.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Someone's never hardcast an Emrakul.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

bhsman posted:

It's a pretty good one, at least, and potentially constructed-playable.

Is it? It doesn't have haste and probably does nothing the turn it enters the battlefield. And it costs 6.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the land for?

Path to Exile, same as always.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Markovnikov posted:

It's sad we don't get cards like Nantuko Husk anymore. It really shows it comes from another era of design.

It was reprinted in Standard at common, what more do you want?

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

I'd have watched that episode.

Also.

He'll back off on that once he realizes how good Ancestral is in his 73-card mill deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

I think it's poor form to offer a handshake when you win. It's like an offensive "gg" in StarCraft -- it doesn't matter how obvious it is that the game is over, it can come across as self-congratulatory even if you're just trying to be sincere. If they're salty it's your right not to interact further, but you already won so what else do you need? As others have said it's a game of variance and a lot of matches are decided by mana screw.

• Locked thread