Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Elder dragons refer to a specific thing that a very very long time ago in the mtg timeline. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Elder_Dragon#Elder_Dragons. Making the khans dragons into elders is stupid.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I know my Elder Dragons, I spent months as a kid trying to chase down a Chromium, my mother did not understand why I wanted so desperately to drive to the comic store all the way across town for some Legends boosters.

It's one of the reasons I find the excitement for the new ones so weird. Lots of the people I see being excited have been playing the game for like a year tops, one guy didn't even know Nicol Bolas was originally, an Elder Dragon. That's such a plane specific, old thing, the Elder Dragons, that if you don't know that if you aren't familiar what is there to be excited about there's nothing new or interesting about that, just nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's there so Elder Dragon Highlander can have Elder Dragon commanders that aren't total rear end

Is that seriously a thing people care about? I will never understand Magic players.

Angry Grimace posted:

I just assumed the "Elder Dragon" type was an Easter Egg for nerds like me that like that kind of thing. :confused:

That's what I figured it was, some nostalgia, but the reaction to them has been way more than I expected.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Really interesting design on those DFC walkers, I'm sure people will eat that transforming thing right up. Would have liked to see them push the power a little considering they aren't as good as a regular walker.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lol at some WOTC employee struggling not to just respond with "who caressssss" to a super spergy nitpicky plot question

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona magic continues to be hilariously hosed up. Offered to help cover hotel costs for a local kid that Q'ed for a PT but can't afford it. His boss, a local store owner, sent me and another guy that made the offer this message this morning:

A disproportionate number of the LGS owners and managers I know/work with as a Judge are really weird and crazy about LOYALTY and treating their customers/employees as friends and allies first and employees and customers second. It's really weird.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Holy poo poo I'd rather play Caw Blade mirrors forever than watch this awful match.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm ready to never see another dragon.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Anyone else feel like this whole block is pretty "meh"?

It's not a bad or anything it just feels really forgettable. Theros felt that way when it came to power level but the set theme/mechanics made an impact on constructed (devotion and constellation decks) and it brought a pretty unique flavor so it managed to make a mark for me.

Feels like Khans is just spinning tires waiting for the next block.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Banning Goyf wouldn't suddenly make worse cards playable. It'd just make the decks that run Goyf worse, maybe kill them outright.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

FoW rules because it acts as a safety valve that lets other amazing crazy poo poo exist without ruining the whole format.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Huge shame about those Judge promos. They look great but the new system for foils means very few people are going to see them.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cabal Therapy is the best discard spell they've ever printed, not in terms of raw power but in that it makes for interesting decisions from both players. Can't believe they don't want to reprint that but have done so with Thoughtseize and likely will reprint Inquisition soon.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Yup. Where else am I going to get a chance to play Melek, Jor Kadeen, or Muzzio?

You can just make a deck with those cards and play with people.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao at dudes who can't handle the stress of trading in person.

Binder-Grinders, Guys who look up every card, that kid who demands only SCG Price like its an order from heaven, all of those dudes represent wonderful opportunities to make value. You can "win" all of those trades while simultaneously getting a reputation for being a good person to trade with, and that alone is worth its weight in gold.

Just make trades happen, even if you're losing some value, especially if its the first time you've traded with that person. Just saying "yes" and making a trade happen does weird things to a room, suddenly people are just more willing to make things work.

Don't get annoyed with some dude who tries to win every trade, instead gently caress him over with a smile. Trade him that 30+ dollar mythic you know is going to be poo poo in two years for a pair of some staples you're confident is still going to be 10. You'll win in the long term, and if he's stupid enough to brag about it you'll have more people looking at your binder and less looking at his.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem with in-person trading for me is that I rarely actually want anything so someone will look through my binder for poo poo and even if they can find stuff I'm willing to part with, I rarely find something interesting. Anything that's not a standard playable I'll usually give away for free though, simply because my house is full of loving Magic cards.

Try to identify cards you can use in "lateral moves", when looking at binders don't just look for cards you want/need but identify cards you've had in your binder for a long time that you can trade for other decent cards that you've not had in your binder before/for a while. Think of your trade binder as retail stock. Don't let it get stagnant. In retail just changing the aisle you have certain items in can increase sales because people are weird and crazy and even just the perception of "new" can change how people react to it.

I know it sounds retarded but it works. If you're anything like me you probably see the same people a lot. I've had a dude look through my binder and pick out some random poo poo he hadn't seen before and trade me for it. Even though the person I got those cards from was another regular in the shop, and I know for a fact he had seen them in that guys binder the week before. Just seeing them in my binder instead was new enough to make him think "oh yeah, i can use that card for some random thing"

Obviously you aren't going to ship your spare Tropical Island just because it's been in your binder for 2 months, but I bet there's a lot of standard/casual fodder you could do that sort of thing with. Try to get a healthy flow of stuff in and out of your binder, even if you're not going to be able to trade the stuff in person, you might be able to get rid of it online for stuff you do want. No reason to give up on a potential trading source and believe me, if you can make yourself a go-to-guy for trading, crazy good trades start coming your way, people start selling you poo poo at buy-list instead of SCG, just cool poo poo happens, its worth it.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

FYI I don't think you can logically hold both these views. They're both shards with the same split of land cards available to them, and where blue has Anticipate green has Sylvan Carytid. Either they're both bad or they're both good.

Not necessarily. Certain decks need more colors/double colors earlier or later and that can affect playability. Just because two shards have the same amount of fixing available to them doesn't necessarily mean they are both equally playable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Novelty sleeves are the worst.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

magic players are so loving dumb

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

im burning my collection

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Twin always plays Peek over Probe...

Yeah Peek is pretty useful one-of when considering to go for the combo, wtf are you even talking about Toshino? iirc it was even in the winning modern PT list and it's certainly been around lots before.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic is wrong/posts dumb opinions about as often as most posters.

he got burned really good one time and it started a tournament and it was honestly pretty funny but now people are trying way too hard trying to pretend he's uniquely wrong about things

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm really glad I won't have to buy a single card from Dragons to play standard, spend that money on Modern Masters, the set is just a stinker.

Limited changed a good bit though, and I think I like it more than KTK, FRF

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Report back in the fall how well this strategy worked for you.

It will work out fine because the set is selling really well regardless of power level and there are going to be tons of copies of cards out there so even if I have to buy a bunch of mythics it won't be much at all and ill have a bunch of modern masters cards that are going to be as expensive or more by next fall as they will be sometime around june/july when i pick them up :confused:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Can someone tell me how Dark confidant is supposed to be used as I have never played with or against him.

Dark Confidant + Low CMC deck = Card advantage.

Card advantage is a pretty complicated concept but generally speaking, mo' cards = mo' better.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

I just have shock lands so I see myself losing a lot of life before I start getting things going.

edit: they stack right?

The life is generally worth less than the cards. Calculate the average CMC of your deck, don't forget to include lands as 0, not just spells. That's how mcuh damage bob is going to do to you and how many turns on average, you're going to be able to draw cards from old Bob before you die. When the curve of your deck tops out at 3, its going to crazy low. Variance is a thing and sometimes you'll flip 3cmc, 3cmc, and be dead but there's just as many times you're going to flip land, draw gas, flip land, draw gas, and just bury your opponent in card advantage.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

My store has the same problem. One of my friends is very forward about speaking out about, well about all sorts poo poo like this. If you use racist, sexist pejoratives, etc. he will call you on it. So he said something about one of the shop regulars who said N word and such. So the store owner basically said "knock it off" so now its a game to say things like that when Derek isn't around.

Get involved with the Judge program, you don't have to pass any tests or need anything other than a real interest before you can start being a positive force for change in your community.

"My LGS sucks" stories are weak, do a thing.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I pretty much run FNMs and Pre-Releases exactly like any other Comp REL tournament as far as logistics and structure are concerned. Players meeting, match slips, table numbers, pairings board, round timer, the whole shebang. It makes life so much easier. I've done it the wild and loose way and that's way more work.

gently caress trying to herd neckbeards to their matches or trying to enter results that are being screamed at you across the room, or trying to un-gently caress a draft that got messed up when some moron passed a stack of his drafted cards instead of a pack and no one noticed for 4 picks.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BXCX posted:

All of a sudden the drafts are running much more smoothly :iiam:

It's crazy to me how many shops have Judges and run regular REL events like total rear end, there's a prevailing attitude that the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of FNM rules wise also needs to be extended to tournament structure or it wont be accessible. Kudos for stepping in and making things better.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wait how are you guys getting your whole game history stats like that?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dang I'm not as bad at Magic as I thought.

quote:

Overall record: 317-173-22
Win percentage ignoring draws: 64.693878
Win percentage including draws: 61.914062

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I don't understand why people get mad about following the rules at FNM, its not like you're being assessed penalties or anything. It's much easier to play if you know, you use the rules.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at FNM you generally put the trigger on the stack and tell them to be more careful next time. There's no such thing as a "missed trigger" penalty at FNM. If it's been long enough the judge may rule that it's too late.

To add a little more, this is for mandatory triggers, optional triggers are assumed to be missed at FNM and other regular REL events.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a guy tell me I couldn't rebound Ojutai's Summons because I drew a card even though I hadn't done anything else. This was at an FNM. I still won but that seemed like the Rules Lawyering we were talking about earlier.

That's correct, drawing a card is an indication that you've proceeded past the step at which you are supposed to Rebound. Rebound is a "may" effect and as such you are assumed to have chosen not to utilize the effect.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I understand it wasn't relevant at the time and so from your perspective with perfect information it seems immaterial, but from a rules/your opponent perspective drawing a card is an incredibly relevant game action with the potential to make a significant difference.

It's not rules lawyering it's very reasonable, you missed a trigger and by the time you wanted to fix that mistake a major part of the game (the content of your hand) had changed. It would not be fair to allow you to back the game up.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm honestly not sure what to say if you don't think drawing a card is a relevant action with the potential to change lines of play or outcomes.

If you mean specifically your situation, maybe that's true but that remains irrelevant. We cannot write rules that can determine whether something like drawing a card is or is not relevant in a particular set of circumstances so we have to assume it always is or is not and at this point in time, we assume drawing a card is always a significant action.

As for the other part, if you believe the player is intentionally cheating he should be DQ'ed from the event, otherwise, that is the correct solution to game rule violation. Either way his cheating/violation doesn't have any impact on the decision about your missed trigger.

It sounds like you're just salty.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I would like to hear you describe one that could actually occur in a DTK-DTK-FRF draft. Seriously.

You have only 2 cards in hand both lands. Ojutai's Breath is going to rebound tapping a potentially lethal attacker, your opponent is prepared with Feat of Resistance, the card on top of your library is Contradict. Whether you rebound before or after a draw is incredibly relevant.

Seriously, its not hard man.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 14, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay, okay.

Its not like I fought it. It just seems dumb on the very first draft of a large set with several new mechanics.

I sympathize, but we need a basic standard as far as rules enforcement is concerned, and currently our basic standard means you've missed your trigger.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The rules regarding Regular REL and mistakes and fixes are really well thought out and give players a lot of leeway, It's great you guys are more flexible in what you allow opponents to take back but I can't believe so many of you think its scummy to have a baseline rule that effectively say stuff like "you can't reorder blockers after a combat trick or try to catch a trigger from 3 steps ago"

Seriously, it's a very low standard, its also not binding, you're completely free to let your opponent have as many take backs as you like. You guys are pretending like its the old Pro Tour days where you could get a DQ for playing a spell before tapping your lands or something. Regular REL Rules are a super forgiving environment if you want to be more forgiving, great, but someone isn't a jerk or an rear end in a top hat for asking you to play at that very low standard man, just play by the rules.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I've known grinders who would strictly not allow their opponents, me being that some of the time, who would force you to mulligan again (which is I think the IPG fix for comp REL as I recall) if you accidentally drew more than one card in an FNM, instead of just shuffling one back like the guide indicates. Then when pointed out from a judge that this is indeed the fix, they get sour about it. This is the sort of behavior I despise but it creeps into other things in FNM like the land situation above. You should be thankful they even gave you free info.

Sounds like everything worked out then? If you think they intentionally are trying to apply the IPG to gain an advantage then, tell your Judge because cheating matters, otherwise they were wrong about the rule fix and you got it sorted, great.

If the problem is that those players have gotten to apply the incorrect fix against other less experienced players, again tell your Judge, if they are doing intentionally that's a serious problem, otherwise its a great lesson about how everyone should call a Judge for problems even if they think they know the solution.

You have all the tools to fairly handle that situation I don't see what the problem is dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not gonna let him do it just so can say "hahaha gotcha you don't get anything and lose your Caryatid." I just don't want to win like that.

I think that's great dude, I argue for the rules a lot as a Judge but I'm very similar to you as a player. I hope you can see why the rules can't hold everyone to your very laid back and understanding standards of play though.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm kinda curious if there's any punishment my friend could have been given for being wrong about what his opponent's cards do. I'm thinking no? Judges?

It depends, sadly sometimes games are decided on a mistaken understanding of how cards work. If we find there was intent on the part of a player, its a big problem otherwise it's nothing, maybe a warning if your friend mistakenly misrepresented the board state.

I've had both situations. One time a Merfolk player won because of an assumption regarding Global vs. Personal lords, and another time at a GPT, a player after the match talked to his friend about how he knew his only out was intentionally misplaying Pillar of Flame and Tragic Slip, and when I called a Judge he was DQed.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 14, 2015

• Locked thread