Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Roro posted:

Looks like an egg topped Welsh rarebit, which is a creamier cheese on toast.
And Stouffer's even makes that here in the States! (Though I think it must be hard to find. I remember seeing it here and there when I was a kid, but not lately.)

Yes, it appears to be wheat toast with cheese sauce. Frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I bought this out of sheer curiosity once and could never bring myself to actually eat it. I'm pretty sure it was abandoned in a fridge several apartments ago
I have the sneaking suspicion that I did the same thing. :ohdear:

I know for sure there's a tin of Spam in my parents' fridge that my best friend gave me no later than 1991. :gonk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Spam isn't scary, it's just incredibly bland and very salty.
I've had Spam since, and no, it wasn't scary. Spam from 1991, however...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Sorry for the meme pic, but people in my Facebook are sharing this and acting as is the most delicious looking thing in the world. I swear it looks as something I would eat while severely drunk.

At least the cream and the bun thing are probably not very sweet. Otherwise it would hurt my teeth just to look at it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

:aaaaa:

It's a Kitkat Monaka

I need this in my mouth
It looks more like a hotcake or a bastardized English muffin than a monaka--not wafery enough.

fake edit: It's bread, and that's gross.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

canis minor posted:

This is not true - you still have them, and they're targeted towards low-income people - students, old, etc. I guess you could compare it to US soup kitchens? (I don't really know, I only seen soup kitchens in tv).
"Soup kitchens" in the US are places where the hungry and/or homeless are fed for free, like this fantastic soup kitchen in downtown Detroit. I have to imagine these Eastern European places charge at least something for what they serve (I hesitate to call it "food").

But dill pickle soup is fantastic. :colbert: I tried and failed to find a photo of it gross enough for the thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I heart bacon posted:

And why can't anybody ever say jalapeņo right?
While out grocery shopping one day, I swear to Christ I passed by a maybe-early-20s kid who consulted his list and announced to his friend, "Okay! Now we just need some juh-LAP-uh-nose."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd just assume they were intentionally mispronouncing it for half-assed comedic effect unless I had a reason to believe otherwise.
Trust me, he wasn't. He was being very earnest about what he needed for his seven-layer dip.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah but seriously bread in Japan is loving awful. They have this whole type of bread called pan that's everywhere and really sweet, usually deep fried. I'd almost say it's more along the lines of a pastry than a bread but people there treat it like bread.

"Pan" just means "bread" (from the Portuguese) and is the catch-all word for any bread product you can get from a bakery, the majority of which is what we'd probably call "buns" or "rolls," sweet or otherwise. It's not always sweet and certainly not always deep fried. Curry pan is, though; that's kind of a curry piroshki breaded in panko and fried. (Delicious, when fresh.)

"Shokupan" ("eating bread") is the stuff that comes in loaves and is usually a sweeter variation on a white Pullman loaf, often sliced super thick. Upon eating a slice of Japanese toast, my son commented that the Japanese must have really huge mouths.

It also is loving fantastic toasted with butter or corn mayo, though I realize this last variation probably belongs in this thread:

Toasted, it's crispy on the outside and pull-apart soft on the inside.

Even an unabashed fan of shokupan (and garlic) like me draws the line at some of the things they do to it, though.

This is a five-inch-tall hunk of white bread diced into chunks and done up with garlic butter. Then there's the sweet variation, of which this (the top Japanese GIS for "karaoke dessert") is an extremely tame example:

See much worse here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'll never forget the French guy I met staying at a Kyoto temple who swore up and down that Japan made better croissants than France. Now, I think the Japanese do bread very well, but this struck me as a pretty ballsy claim.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

skander posted:

How does that work? Shouldn't marmite be thread thinly on some sort of cracker?
That's a common misconception. In fact, Marmite should be chucked out of the nearest window with as much force as one can muster.

(My Kiwi husband loves it and has passed that love down to our son, who happily enjoys a Marmite sandwich in his lunchbox just about every day. I've tried, I really have, but...)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

diabeetz posted:

placenta pizza
They're going to need a bigger glass of wine.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A local BBQ place also has a wood-fired oven and makes awesome pizzas, one of which features (a little) smoked jalapeno honey to complement the pulled pork, cappicola, house-made sausage, garlic, and cheese toppings.. It's surprisingly spicy, but delicious.

Now I want that pie, dammit. :arghfist::(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coney pizzas, too, with hot dogs, chili, onions, and mustard. They're probably thread-appropriate, though:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chard posted:

I do this whenever I make cheapo ramen, I agree it looks like sewage but it's a nice flavor/protein boost. Eggdrop soup is apparently some kind of wizardry.
Just crack the egg right in at the side of the pot, away from the noodles, at the start of the three-minute boil (after teasing the noodles apart a little). Drain everything at the end and you've got nice noodles and a beautiful poached egg, a little on the firmer side but with a mostly runny yolk. :shrug:
I used to try to poach my eggs for ramen separately, but it was a pain in the rear end to get everything done at the right time; this works great.

Next up is making boiled eggs that are seasoned in the shell with salt and a little sugar, like the ones you can buy at Japanese convenience stores. No salt packets necessary!
Or you can make these bastards, peeled and steeped in soy sauce, mirin rice wine, and dashi stock.

which look more off-putting than the salt-sugar variety, but are delicious.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pandaK posted:

Indian food translates really well to vegan recipes since they revolve around spices anyways.
Spices and cream and ghee. Although there are probably some Indian dishes without cream or ghee. I mean, theoretically.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Confusingly, the hot dog of choice in Michigan is not the Michigan, but the Coney. The Michigan is popular in upstate New York (and Coney Island). :iiam:

e: And we don't put cheddar on Coneys, either. Another mystery.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 13:08 on May 26, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I know lots of couples that have done this (Midwestern U.S.). I always wonder if when that year goes by and they dig it out and it's freezerburnt to hell, they actually choke it down or just laugh about how silly the tradition is and trash it.
That's what we did! Also it was taking up too much space in our freezer. Supposedly you're meant to eat a bite of it every year on your anniversary until it's gone. Oh, well! :v:

My parents lost their chance at old-rear end anniversary leftovers when the cake slice they'd meant to preserve slid off the maid of honor's lap and smashed onto the car floor as they drove home after the wedding. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Enjoy this write-up of a trip to the Jelly Belly factory and taste tests of various disturbingly accurate flavors.

(Also, while we had a tiny, regularly frosted white wedding cake just to do the traditional cutting thing and take some home to not eat on our anniversary, the wedding cake we actually served took the form of individual pavlovas. My cousin had a beautiful but bland cake at his wedding last month that must have been coated in fondant; it was almost, but not quite, vinyl.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

Posted on a popular ESl forums here in Korea, I give you The Most Korean Pizza Ever: http://www.dominos.co.kr/menu.do?todo=getNewMenuList
WE KNOW THE PIZZA

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

My first reaction was why, quickly followed by where. Seriously, where did a market exist for that?
Funny, my first reaction was to Google it.

Hong Kong, and it's sweet, not savory.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Maple flavoring is a standard option for breakfast sausage in the States; this isn't that far off. Yet my son bitches whenever maple syrup touches his breakfast sausages. Doesn't he know? :ohdear:

I think I would draw the line at custard fillings, though, only because it sounds like it could curdle (it probably couldn't).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Toriori posted:

Try the grey stuff, it's delicious!
The Be Our Guest restaurant at Disney World has, predictably, added it to their menu--first as a special celebratory treat, then spun into a more mundane cupcake. Here's the original:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cookies-and-cream panna cotta whipped into a mousse, apparently. The cupcake version is a chocolate sponge cupcake with that on top.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

The grey stuff looks brown. :colbert: I always figured it was some kind of pate...
Me, too. :( They're in France, for God's sake! (Not that mousse isn't French.)

But I guess this wouldn't fly so well with the kids at The Happiest Place On Earth (tm):

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Roro posted:

Google informs me it's a McDonalds Lettuce and Tomato. The meat and bottom bun were separate from the salad and top bun?
Yeah. I'm old and ate a few of these. They were pretty good, I guess, but then again, I was a kid at the time and had dumb kid tastebuds. And as pentyne pointed out, the "assemble the rest of it yourself" thing doesn't really fly. Imagine trying to eat one of these in traffic:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Toriori posted:

You and I both know it's probably cream cheese.
Alfredo sauce. From a jar.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, God, it's even worse than I imagined! :gonk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cash crab posted:

What is the Million Dollar aspect to this dish? That's how much you'll be paying to have a triple bypass? I don't know how healthcare works in the states; I assume this is a 'murrcan invention
People will pay a million dollars not to have to eat it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Anybody know what it's actually made out of?
Pork, cukes, and corn, I believe. It came from Taiwan via Reddit.

e: and it cost 33 cents at the time.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wait, what does the mustard spell on those burst...hot dogs? I can only make out an E and a K on the bottom two.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Eggplant?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pomp posted:

Those ribs are incredible.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Antioch posted:

TRIP REPORT
Ruffles Poutine Chips

Did you (or anyone here) ever try the Lay's Bacon Poutine Chips they put on the market as part of last summer's Do Us A Flavour contest? I seem to recall they were pretty all right. The Tzatziki ones were fantastic, though.

It's great being so close to the Canadian border that I can get twice the oddball fan flavors every summer; I'm a sucker for unique flavors of snack foods and ice cream and the like. I just don't know why Lay's persists in putting through poo poo like Cinnamon Bun (Canada) and Cappuccino (U.S.) chips. Barf.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

But hey, one thing I like about online recipes is that people have their own tips and tricks on how to improve it, and with a chili that was kind of bland, there must be people putting solutions to it online.
The very best part of online recipe reviews is all the people writing to say "This is terrible/fantastic! I didn't have baking soda so I used Sprite, and we were out of cocoa so I use shredded coconut instead, and I only had half the yogurt it called for so I made up the difference with tapioca pudding." After all their substitutions, it's not even the same recipe.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samovar posted:

I thought for a second that the white stuff was WAY too much mayo - but if it's a good bean stew and not white bread, I could see that being damned good eatin'.
It is way too much mayo, and raw white onion. On white bread. With cold pork-and-beans, probably out of a can.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I was raised with a strict and bizarre family superstition that putting shoes on a table --- even in new in box, in a shopping bag --- is the unluckiest thing you can do. When I read that that's Jaleo's schtick, getting chicken croquetas served in a shoe, just the idea of being in a restaurant full of shoes on tables gave me the jibblies.
'Sup, fellow bizarre shoes-on-table family superstition haver :tinfoil::hf::tinfoil:

I don't know where it comes from, but I know it goes deep.

Try eating curry out of a toilet bowl while sitting on a toilet bowl instead:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Helios Grime posted:

I'll be going to Japan in October, this is on the list of things I need to visit just for the weirdness alone.
Make sure you take a side trip to Taiwan or Hong Kong, then.

But definitely do have curry rice while you're in Japan; it's excrement.

Excellent. I mean excellent.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Haven't seen those around. I did see Reuben Sandwich a few days ago, and I gotta admit that I'm curious.
I just picked them up at a gas station in southern OH and they're really, really good. You can taste every component of the reuben, including the caraway in the rye.

I also snagged the truffle-fry and gyro varieties. (They were out of biscuits-and-gravy, boo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

So I decided to try out the Lays West Coast Truffle Fries Wavy Chips, and I'd say they're pretty good, they have a subtle earthy taste to them that's nice and satisfying
Those are next on my list. I tried the Greektown Gyro ones today and they hardly tasted like anything. :( I preferred the Tzatziki ones from the Canadian promotion last year.

Also: Bacon jam looks awful, but is delicious, whether alone on toast, on a sandwich, or on a burger.

• Locked thread