Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nooner posted:

My mom grew up in the Midwest and would make hotdish a lot when I was growing up but it was ground beef with like corn, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and macaroni noodles all mixed up together in a big skillet. You could definitely tell it was a Midwest dish because it was bland af

So it's basically just hamburger helper sans the salty as gently caress flavor packet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fo3 posted:

I usually add heaps of spices, chilli, sauces and maybe tomato paste and a stock that reduces down.

Yeah I don't think you "get" the American midwest.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also actual Loco Moco is the best poo poo ever. It's Hawaiian food so naturally it looks like some kind of horrifying food they'd serve in a cafeteria in a Disney Channel show, but like other Hawaiian food of its type it tastes like heaven.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You don't get lettuce in a Munchy Box. Typically the salad is shredded onion, to go with the kebab.

Shredded onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and sometimes pepperoncinis, but yeah those are the fixings for the kebab. Although my friend claims he got one that had some caesar salad in it once which seems possible if not very unlikely.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're going to mix something into mac and cheese it should be chilli.
:colbert:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Blue Pyramid posted:

During last year's Christmas my brother brought a brick of Velveeta that he got through couponing. He tried to make a queso dip by melting it with some canned salsa added. It was almost "passable" as a queso substitute if not for the fact that it congealed and solidified every 20 seconds.

I wish I had pictures. It was a very sad "dip"

This is the world famous Rotel queso dip!

It's a staple of small town american pot lucks. I have a soft spot in my heart for it, but it's pretty foul.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zanael posted:

Chips with a little mustard is indeed awesome, too bad that guy isn't doing it, since that orange paste is definately NOT mustard.
Is this another one of those almost-like-the-real-product-but-not-really thing like what you guys call "mayo" ?

It's probably a sweet hot or spicy mustard. Those tend to be more orange (to denote they have been mixed with red hot sauce I guess?). I have a bottle of Beaver Sriracha Mustard and one of Inglehoffer Sweet Hot in my fridge right now and they are about that color.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That stuff looks like 100% pure oil. It's probably nacho cheese or some mayo-based sauce but definitely not mustard.

Mustard can vary a lot in consistency. My old roommate used to buy like 12+ kinds of mustard and some of the German ones were thicker than mayo but a few of them were more like French dressing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The purple is probably sauerkraut and due to the presence of what appears to be chopped up liver sausage and pickles I'm going to guess it's either slavic or from the American rust belt. It sort of bares slight resemblance to a Tramezzino, but without all the things that make those good.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The best I've heard of MREs is "That name contains three lies".

See also: Old German Premium Lager It's only one of those things

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes refers to margarine (or other butter substitute), but yes, actual butter. Why would you not put butter on a sandwich? Even if you're putting mayonnaise or mustard on, you start with butter. Don't you? What do you think butter is for?

Hahahahahaha and you guys always call American's fat fucks. Why would you slather every sandwich in fat? Do you do this for all sandwiches? Like Reubens and Cubans and poo poo?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I heart bacon posted:

My hamburgers are made with a grilled cheese sandwich (cheese toasty for you dirty furners) for each bun. It goes (bottom to top) grilled cheese sandwich, 2 pound hamburger patty, bacon, onion rings and then topped with another grilled cheese sandwich. Then the whole thing is wrapped in bacon and battered and deep fried in pure unfiltered corn oil and bald eagle tears. :fsmug:

This is a place I have eaten at: http://www.brunchboxpdx.com/cart.html

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Throatwarbler posted:

Asian countries have their own bread-like staple foods which are not sweet at all. They also have a specific genre of food called "what people in Asia think Americans eat". If you only shop/eat at places that cater to expats/sex tourists guess which one you are going to encounter?

Yeah but seriously bread in Japan is loving awful. They have this whole type of bread called pan that's everywhere and really sweet, usually deep fried. I'd almost say it's more along the lines of a pastry than a bread but people there treat it like bread.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

I tried some of this the other day

and it was pretty gross. I can't imagine anything it would go well with. spicy honey sounds like it would work with chicken or something similar but the taste is just unpleasant, and honey with heat is seriously confusing

Maybe mix it with some mustard?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Antifreeze Head posted:

I don't really get why you would make them at home, but they are a staple of what's served at the canteen at small-town community gatherings where I come from. It's all the same ingredients and you don't have the added trash/expense of a plate. I don't really see a downside.

The walking taco is a pretty popular street food in actual Mexico but they have a different name for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tostilocos

I've always been more of a fan of the "frito boat" kind that is more like a Frito pie and is chili/onions/cheese/etc in a bag of Fritos. My Uncle used to eat at a place near his work that made the Dorilocos variant with flamin' hot cheetos which I imagine is just straight up murder on your butthole.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 21:27 on May 9, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

pentyne posted:

It's an intense flavor so far removed from milk chocolate that presenting it as chocolate is a complete lie. I've had some pretty great 80-95% dark chocolate but I always pair it with black coffee a good Stout or Porter to wash the taste down.

Fixed that for you.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cash crab posted:

My mom used to make one gigantic pudding in a casserole dish, and when you square out some, it looks like a less wet version of other stuff.

Around here those are called Dutch Babies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Minarchist posted:

What's the deal with people just dumping corn on a plate?

It's a weird abstracted American thing. Basically a long held core dish of stereotypical American cooking (read: Midwestern Cooking) has been corn with butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes you have variants with Cayenne, Johnny salt, old bay, etc. But then when you get people who are like "we need to make all this poo poo healthy but I can't learn new or interesting meals to make" so you end up with literally just corn on a plate because :effort:. At least by the geometric shape of those kernels I'm pretty sure it's fresh corn thats been cut from a real corn cob, which is really just how you ruin a good corn on the cob but each to their own.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mmmmmm... rippers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripper_(hot_dog)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Government cheese also varies greatly on your location. The food bank I go to sometimes usually just has normal good cheese that just isn't as visually appealing as normal cheese so it can't be sold in stores in cute little blocks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Picnic Princess posted:

Are you saying one should not perhaps get food from a food truck? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

In my neck of the woods we have amazing food trucks. People from other more real places treat this idea with large amounts of skepticism.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tree Goat posted:

The original reddit thread it came from was pretty good too, it was on the order of "my girlfriend just left me but I don't care, I'm browsing reddit like a sir" but when I reverse GIS I just get pictures of TV dinners.

This is depressing. If your girl leaves you the last thing you need to do is eat along by your computer. You need to go to show, get out at 2AM and convince the guy at the local 24 hour taco shop to make you a breakfast burrito because "It's technically morning".

Not speaking from experience or anything.

That taco shop is amazing. One time my friend got the guy to make him carne asada fries with fried fish instead of asada in order to win a bet that he couldn't get fish and chips after midnight in our city.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RareAcumen posted:

Pulled pork, bacon, beans and mash in a sundae glass

Oh hey, they make this where I work. It's, uh, very popular and supposedly really tasty.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SavTargaryen posted:

You've tried it at least once, right?

gently caress no, I watch how all the food gets made and I wouldn't touch anything that didn't get cooked and prepped by us at our grill. Minor League Baseball: not known for it's standards of cleanliness.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I wen't to a party with one of those Gummy Bears at it once. Even 20+ people were ill prepared to consume all of it. poo poo is dense yo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I love me some liverwurst. East that poo poo on Wasa rye crackers and it's the best. Don't look good tho.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

pentyne posted:

Is there any good version of bologna? I assume the original Italian variety is the best, but it seems like the term is a catch all for horrifically cheap sliced meat. I bought a cheap pack of cotto salami made by Kraft and on the front it says "Made from chicken, beef, and pork" and in the ingredients label is says "chicken, beef hearts, pork" so technically yes, its made with beef.

Lebanon Bologna is the poo poo. Tastes a lot like summer sausage. Boar's Head isn't too bad either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cash crab posted:

The name is adorable

Where I grew up "cracklins" was the term used to refer to all fried fat snacks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

skander posted:

He actually was a late-Eighties frat boy. Perhaps he was just a bit ahead of his time, and kept the look.

I think he is just constantly trying to look like your Dad's one goofy friend from college. The one people invite to parties because he's "goofy" but then they have to stop when he keeps feeling up freshmen and pooping in weird places.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Wanamingo posted:

You guys know there's a raccoon pictures thread, right? We don't have to creep on cash crab here.

For content, have a picture that was originally titled Candied_Beer_Dogs_3.jpg

I've had these, pretty common small town potluck food. They're super duper sweet and you can really only eat one or two. drat tasty if you use a good hot dog like Zenners tho.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SLOSifl posted:

I went to a Subway in Columbus, Ohio during a cross country drive. My friend and I still bring that place up ten years later. The reason we remember it is because the dude working there made loving perfect sandwiches. We got back to the hotel room and opened our sandwiches, and both just stopped and said "holy poo poo". They looked exactly like a promotional picture, even after being wrapped up.

Driving all day, tired, lovely hotel, but suddenly

God bless you, sandwich angel.

At the Subway near my house there is this methy Kid Rock looking dude who has been working there for at least 15 years. He's denied being made a manager or anything else because he's THAT GOOD AT MAKING SUBWAY SANDWICHES. The man is a loving machine, and he's worked there long enough that you can go in and describe ancient promotional subs from years past and he'll make them for you, he also knows all the weird sauce and sandwich combos, like sweet onion and spicy southwest sauce on the Italian, tastes amazing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

This makes me sadder than most of the poo poo in this thread. Because you know the person who made it thinks its a good appetizer plate even though it's just a mass of generic as gently caress salami, canned olives and brie. Even the Brits get it better because at least they gave us Huntsman cheese. Maybe it's because I grew up in an Italian family, and in Italian culture there is a huge amount of importance placed on the appetizer/antipasto plates. Mainly because most Italian food is made of cheap stuff (Lasagna, Manicotti, etc are mostly sauce/pasta/cheese) so the way you show off to your guests/neighbors is how many kinds of cured meats you can slam on a plate.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooooooh man Rilettes are TOTALLY MY SHIIIIIT.

Or it could be a pate and still be good I guess.
Yeah its probably pate.

I want rilettes now.

It's probably goose or duck liver with fat on top. Good poo poo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The White Dragon posted:

This seems like something Japan would make and call it an Extra American Burger.

My favorite weird Japanese thing about their perception of America is they have a popular brand of curry sauce cubes (it's a compressed brick of curry and oil that melts into sauce when mixed with ingredients in a pan and is shelf stable) called Vermont Curry. Because when I think of Curry what immediately comes to mind is the state of Vermont. I mean I guess its apple flavored curry which is a little bit Vermontish but not really.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Before all the preppers started hoarding them and the price shot up we used to buy MRE's for backpacking a lot. The eastern European (Poland, Estonia, etc) and Korean ones are usually the best. For the American ones the best ones are usually the Mexican ones because they are made up of stuff that freeze dries well (beans, rice, tomato sauce, etc).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chard posted:

I don't care for metal and being a server in this place must be excruciating, but someone had a lot of fun writing that menu and that I will salute.

There is a sandwich shop chain called Cheba Hut that is weed themed. I was super happy when they finally decided to put all the real names of things next to them on the menu because I was so loving tired of walking in there and being all "Yeah I'll take the Chronic Blunt with everything on it and extra sprouts."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mymla posted:

Why would you ruin perfectly passable off-brand coke?

Because they were at Walmart and sprang the extra ten cents for Sam's as opposed to getting the most American beverage: Cola brand Cola.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cott-Beverage-Cola-Soda-67.6-fl-oz/15543989

That poo poo seriously looks like a prop.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I kinda like steelies, waaaay better than every other cheap hobo booze (Nighttrain anyone?). But I also drink a lot of Tecate and Old German so my beer taste is very lax. I also like good beer tho, I just drink a lot of poo poo beer too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

subpar anachronism posted:

Malt liquor pretending to be beer and no mention of THE KING? I don't think it even comes in containers smaller than forties, and is in the same price range as Steel Reserve/Colt 45/etc.

Steelies and OE are available in small containers now because so many big cities have liquor exclusion zones now. In downtown Portland (OR) for instance you cant sell anything above a certain % and also you can't sell single containers above 13oz. It worked for a while and got the hobos to wander elsewhere, but the hipsters got mad and so now you can find Steel Reserve in normal beer bottles and OE/Mickeys in those plastic screwtop juice bottle looking ones. It's super duper classist as well because there are tons of places where you can buy all those 16oz bottles of "nice" beer and those places never get busted or hassled by the OLCC but anywhere that tries to sell a tall boy or a 40 is going to have dudes writing them up within the week.

I started drinking right when Sparks and FourLoco were the big thing. I used to drink 40's and Hobo wine type stuff but I've honestly had a lot of all those ultra lovely caffeinated alchopops. They all taste like poison but 4L is definitely the worst. Would rather drink mad dog. Actually that reminds me of the Buddy, IDK when this got started but it was a thing for a while. It's a 50/50 mix of the blue MD 20/20 and Mountain Dew. It was the classy upgrade from what we used to call the "freshman mojito" which was where you drank down like 25% of a sprite/sierra mist and then emptied an entire bottle of alcoholic mint extract into the bottle.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That orange stuff on the hot dog is totes Inglehoffer pepper mustard. Good poo poo, very very spicy.

• Locked thread