Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I encountered this one in the wild. Apparently it had to do with having a regional setting that was in one of the places that wasn't technically supposed to have Windows 10 yet. The real problem was that they allowed the download in those regions anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Orange Mage posted:

they shrunk Samus as well, pre-Other M she's listed as 6'3". They made her 5'1" or something.

6'3", 198 lbs of brute muscle. Samus was a fuckin' beast.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
New Vegas did a cool thing where your skills gave you some starting gear. If you were good at melee combat, you got a melee starting weapon, because your character is the Courier and reasonably good at whatever poo poo they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Is that law degree thing Int-independent? Because I would love to play a 1-int lady who uses a greathammer to solve literally all of her problems and can't string two words together but totally had a law degree you guys.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Evilreaver posted:

I believe it's called a "Gavel"

Only if you're a robe-person. The shouty one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Is there an actual reason to prefer this? If you're ready to stop playing a game and it crashes, what have you lost?

Crashing is rarely clean. It can lead to incremental instability due to leftovers, to the point where the game will refuse to open. It's also variable by system- some folks' computers lock up for a while after a crash. Also, it's just downright clumsy compared to a controlled closure.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the funniest thing is people complaining about large games being buggy garbage when every large program is buggy garbage. Almost all small programs are also buggy garbage. What I'm saying is "all code is bad" so bitching that the game only works as intended 99% of the time is a bit unfair.

The older a large-scale game engine is, the more hands have worked on it, and the more pieces of it will have slipped from 'buggy garbage' to 'unfixable buggy garbage.' An increasingly large portion of the engine will be taken up with code which is, to the current team, a black box, to either be worked around or prayed to. Those portions will be unremovable because there are huge swaths of code dedicated to handling their idiosyncrasies that would also need to be fixed. This layer will have its own problems that more sections of code handle, and in concert these layers create a swirling vortex of contexts and extensions and overrides that render the system basically impenetrable.

Also, Bethesda is worse than this at most. You are right that the system works as intended 99% of the time in a Bethesda game. You are wrong about the context of that- in most games, the core system has to work functionally 100% of the time. If 1% of blocks in a Mario game just forgot to load in their collision detection, that would be a severe flaw. If 1% of all tiles in a pokemon game contained a memory access error that the game interpreted as a pokemon, that would be a severe flaw. If 1% of cop cars in Grand Theft Auto were unkillable and phased through walls, that would be a severe flaw. In a typical Bethesda game, it is not unusual to see a visible, significant, completely unforced glitch in any given area.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dropbear posted:

I wouldn't even go that far. I had to quit New Vegas halfway through because I was tired of the constant barrage of bugs and weirdness - monsters screaming at you and running in place halfway inside the ground, eyes floating outside their 3d models, companions walking animations turning into a stuttery jig etc etc. It was nigh-impossible to play for ~10 minutes or so without something going wrong, and this is on the latest un-modded version.

I do understand that the engine they use is a horrifying Frankenstein-abomination they've piled more and more poo poo upon ever since Morrowind so making it function halfway sanely is a miracle now, but that's even more reason to finally switch to a new one.

I'm programming an engine at the moment- Bethesda's engine does work 99% of the time. It's just that their 1% fail rate includes really loving fundamental things. You don't notice the twenty NPCs who all load in and follow their schedules properly or the dozen geckos who attack and die at the right times, or the thirty or so voiced dialogue options that all go off without a hitch. That stuff is all as it should be, so it fades out.

What you remember is the one time you told the game to attack the guy in the left arm and the physics engine and the animation system got into a fight over it and you ended up pulling off a sweet unintentional 360 noscope on your own dog. That poo poo sticks with you. The other hundred times you pulled the shot off properly disappear.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

Wasn't it something like Swimming increases a creature's strength stat, and fish would build it up to ridiculous levels because that's obviously all they do?

Fish being strong wasn't really the problem, because it wasn't fish in general that were loving nightmares, it was carp specifically. This is because carp were given the wrong mouth- rather than a 'breathing hole' mouth, they were given a 'full set of combat knives' mouth. Because of this, when a dwarf came by to score some tasty fish for grillin' purposes, rather than running away, the carp knew they were armed and decided to gently caress some poo poo sideways re: that dwarf's loving smug-rear end beardyface. Fish in general being swole as gently caress just compounded on that problem, because as long as fish are passive, their strength really doesn't matter. But as soon as there's an armed and dangerous fish, that strength rating means that its toothy maw can tear limbs off with ease. So, it was a case of one bug (carp killing dwarves with their toothy mouths) revealing another bug (all fish everywhere having strength stats to rival those of bronze golems).

Undead carp was definitely a troll, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Wasn't there a bug in dwarf fortress at one point where an extra digit got put in by accident, so anytime a turkey laid an egg they would lay 11 at once

I think the most amazing thing about Dwarf Fortress is, at this point, you could just start making up bugs and people would believe that they probably could have happened.

Pick the fake bug:

Combat is determined by a vague physics system. Rabbit ears can have incredibly small contact areas and therefore a rabbit can be an incredibly dangerous throwing weapon, up to and including killing a bronze golem with a clutch decapitation.

The amount of detail put into an artifact's carvings is dependent on the amount of material put into them- careful manipulation of dwarf behaviours can lead to an artifact containing engravings of the entire history of the fort, including the creation of the engravings on that item.

Dwarven squad leaders were the only thing keeping recruits from beating each other to death with nearby objects during the training phase- unfortunately, only dwarves with at least one kill could become squad leaders, leading to a sort of 'meat grinder' initial recruitment.

A perfectly trained dwarven accountant will result in your fort having perfect accounts of all present objects, forever, including after the accountant's death. They can create these accounts with only an office chair and a desk, suggesting a sort of prophetic engraving system.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh, ooh, I got it!

Well picked. :3:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

did everyone just forget that this isn't the PYF Game Glitch thread

With the dev time and budget Toady's had to fix some of those bugs, it definitely qualifies.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

Another entry for the thread is actually in Thousand Year Door. One of the final parts involves tracking down an NPC, which has you backtrack to every major location in the game because you always "just missed him".

Is that not the obvious solution, though? I mean, like, I start a puzzle like this, I assume that he's either A) in a location which has been quite thoroughly drilled into my head at this point (dude's big on boats, mentions the docks area, docks folks mention him showing up every now and again, he's got a T-shirt saying "Boy I'm looking forward to being found by the player in the docks district later on", etc), B) in a new location which has just now been opened up, or C) You fuckers are just gonna put him in the last possible place that I visit aren't you, haha, well done game designers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

To the game's credit, you do get this objective right at the same time as when you get full access to the game's fast travel system. So it's not actually hard to make the circuit, and it's a decent introduction to 'hey, look how easily you can access ever major area in the game now'.

Oh, so it was a slightly obnoxious tutorial. Cool.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

many johnnys posted:

100 rubees (in the slow jumping room, 1 rubee per jump) gets you the code for the hamster room
10,000 rubees(in the hamster room ideally) gets you the vault code. This takes nearly a quarter of an hour.
If you already know the code, it never changes, so if you're willing to cheat then yeah you can just go straight there.

If you're going to call people "stupid as poo poo" you could at least get your facts right.

Oh dear, a quarter of an hour.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Whether it wastes two hours of your time or five minutes doesn't change the principle.

gently caress, why do these games have to pad out their plots with all this bullshit gameplay that does nothing but waste my time? Why do these games have to pad out their gameplay with all this bullshit plot that does nothing but waste my time? Why are there failure states that do nothing but waste my time? Why are there enemies that obstruct my progress and waste my time? Why is there any distance at all between quest giver and quest site, all that travel just wastes my time! Why does this boss have more than one hit point, all it does is waste my time! Why are there more than one level, I got to an ending, why do I have to do it again and waste even more of my precious time!?

All games should come with a 'win game' button that is pre-pressed on starting up so that it jumps straight from steam icon to end credits so as to minimise time wasting. Just dump all 100% of the available achievements right onto my steam profile on load and call it good. I paid my five dollars (thanks steam sale!), I don't want to have to waste my time playing this time-wasting piece of poo poo.

Seriously, though. That part of the game doesn't have very engaging gameplay, that's valid. That part of the game isn't varied or interesting enough to hold my attention, that's valid. That part of the game feels like a pointless diversion from the main plot and it takes too much work for it to resolve, that's valid. It wastes your time? Motherfucker you are playing the blip bloops on the fuckin' screen, that time is gone. Every game is built to eat up big fat greasy slabs of your time, whether or not that time is wasted is up to you. We're living in an era where 50+ hours of "content" is a selling point. Why keep playing if you are being forced to spend that time doing something you don't like?

E: Seriously, I need to know this. Why did you keep playing if that early section was such a loving chore? What was it about the game that made continuing through that section worth it?

Somfin has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

I'm too busy loving sexy ladies to vote in gameFAQS, sorry losers

Woulda voted, didn't have enough time left after video game finished disrespecting me

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

lorddazron posted:

conjured by SJW's

drat, that is a clean headshot. 100% of the value of your post, gone in 3 words. Outstanding.

In any case, I'd like to throw in one for Torchlight 2. In this game, which is mostly Diablo 2 plus a bit, there's a quest-giver named Cracklespit. Cracklespit gives three quest rewards for their fairly involved sidequest- Inferior Boots, Even More Inferior Boots, and a jar of Sweet-Aide. The boot rewards are both terrible, basically valueless items, but the Sweet-Aide is an actual negative- drink it, and, for the next 15 minutes or so, you constantly lose health at a remarkably quick pace. The game literally tells you how much health you will lose when you look at the item, which is visually identical to a low-level health potion.

A startling number of players will attempt to call the game's bluff when they find that item.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Dec 26, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

Thank you for keeping up with the white man's burden. God knows us people from. Latin America would otherwise fall victims to evil video games.

Edit. Goons have a knack to be the best examples of white guilt. It must suck to go through life pathetically going "OMG is this racist??"

Nice redtext there.

Consuming media while staying actively aware of the messages they are imparting is a useful skill. I suppose, in your mind, the non-pathetic thing to do is to just blindly believe that nothing is ever bad and trust that no creator ever tries to impart messages through their work?

gently caress, sign me up for being able to think like you, it must be a blissful existence.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I too believe creators of a Mexican wrestling game might be trying to "impart messages" of a racist nature by referencing lucha libre. Thank you beloved WASP man for taking care of us.

drat dude you sure showed me, all games are created equal and nothing is racist anymore.

I guess Call of Juarez: The Cartel didn't have any message to send when it featured modern-day Mexican drug lords abducting American women for sexual slavery, because if I were to read that as fueled by anti-Mexican racism as well as a complete reversal of the actual truth, that would be me being my pitiful WASPy self.

There are so many games that I haven't played because I didn't want to give my money to support horrible racist shitbags, but now that there's no racism in video games I suppose there's no harm in me buying them and giving my money to their creators.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pneub posted:

None of this has anything to do with Guacamelee (or Trolls From Game Developers).

Fair call, I'll back off. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Oh wow, that avatar. Looks like Non Serviam got sour as gently caress over you calling him out. :allears:

Woah! Finally! Someone bought me an avatar!

It's such a merry Christmas this year :3:

Thank you Non Serviam!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

:psyduck: Guacamelee thankfully does not involve any of what you're talking about. Out of all of the posts in this incomprehensibly stupid conversation this made me want to say something.

My point, which I admit might have gotten lost there, is that just because one game references another culture and manages not to be racist, doesn't mean that all games that reference other cultures aren't racist, and it's important to actively check in and make sure that what you're seeing isn't some fuckhead's white-power fantasy. It's not a bad thing to analyse media you consume. It's not 'pathetic' or 'white guilt' to not want to put money in the pockets of bad people.

Guacamelee does, indeed, not have that poo poo going on in it. That doesn't mean that checking is an SJW conspiracy or whatever the hell.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I forgot to mention this, so I apologize for going back.

I think that the real problem comes from you seeing a depiction of a Mexican drug Lord doing horrible things and thinking it's an attack on Mexican people as a whole.
You can portray cartels as gigantic human trafficking pieces of poo poo without that meaning you dislike us glorious Latin Americans, you know?

So, yes, it is pathetic. Enjoy and keep it up.

That's not what I said at all. The drug war is loving insane, and one major aspect of it is American money and guns. There is still a substantial slave market in America, and one of the sources is slaves taken by the cartels, brought north, and sold in the USA. The makers of this game decided to reverse it, turning the situation into a farce where the cartels are abducting Americans for sale in Mexico- this is entirely not how it works. The makers of this game decided to pander to American xenophobia and put in a plotline where those dirty Mexicans are stealin' our vulnerable women, rather than challenge America's self-image and show the situation as it really is. Some racist fuckhead playing that game got his worthless opinions reinforced rather than challenged.

Feel free to stop scoring points against that strawman whenever you want, though.

E: What the gently caress, I just realised that you believed what the game put forward. Do you not get how loving idiotic that is? Do you not challenge anything that anyone says? Jesus.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Dec 27, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Actual content: So I got Saints Row 4 Gat Out of Hell for PS4 and one of the missions is a Christmas mission where you team up with Santa to save Christmas from an evil killer Santa. Evil Santa has taken over and barricaded the workshop and you have to bust in and save Mrs. Claus. The front doors are barred by candy canes and you are given a choice to either lick through the giant candy canes or go to the stables. To entirely lick through the candy canes demands about 10 minutes of mashing triangle, complete with awkward licking noises and funny messages from the developers.

Turns out the door's locked and you have to go to the stables anyway.

That is fantastic. Do the candy canes blink from phase to phase or do they smoothly animate to an eaten state?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZKxEhcstYA

The least common achievement in that game is one that only 1.3% of players have gotten. If we assume that every single one of those people used an achievement unlocker to get it, then it still means that a minimum of 2.4% of the people who played Saints Row 4 actually bothered to go through the entire eight minutes of listening to that one noise.

Speaking of trolly achievements, Gunpoint has a fantastic one that can only be gained by people playing the game wrong. Gunpoint is a stealthy hacky game, and it has a system where you can tackle a guard by jumping on them with one button press, and then punch them unconscious with another one. You can keep pressing the punch button after the one punch needed, which will cause your character to continue to attack the downed guard. Messages from the dev pop up, at first assuming you've got it wrong, then informing you that there's no achievement for punching guards, then gradually becoming more and more disturbed. The dev begins to plead with you to stop, at one point asking if you'll stop for an achievement.

There is an achievement for not stopping at that point.

After this, the dev starts to go meta- the end stage is the developer posting a message "That is among the worst reasons to punch someone in the face ___ times" that updates with every hit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thinky Whale posted:

When you're used to the modern sort of game that at least somewhat wants you to finish it, it's interesting to look back on the kind of game where the design is actively plotting against you.

This came out in the Gygax era, right? Back then, most game design was 'designer vs players' rather than 'designer for players.'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Decrepus posted:

7 taurus demon in a row, 11 capra demon in a row, 20 DRAGON BUTT IN A ROW

The thing that got me about that part was how they were all just kinda standing there. Every other enemy has an excuse for being where it is, or is at least off screen for its idle behaviour, so they might have been just passing through and decided to take a swing at you on a lark. The demons were just standing in an axis-aligned row formation for no purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

I think you're thinking of the buttlickers from Binding Of Isaac.

• Locked thread