Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Welcome to the Marvel Netflix Megathread, where we can binge-watch the four new series (and one miniseries!) coming to everyone's favorite streaming service! All of these series will be considered in-canon to the MCU (that's Marvel Cinematic Universe to those of you who've been living in a cave the last 5 or 6 years), but I wouldn't get my hopes up about them showing up in future films. Stranger things have happened, but I think it's a safer bet that we might see some sort of Agents of SHIELD crossover instead.

Ok, maybe they'll be in Captain America: Civil War.

So what are these series?

Premieres April 10th, 2015

Matt Murdock has it rough. When he was a kid, he got splashed with some kind of radioactive goop (which may or may not have mutated some turtles afterwards, it's kinda vague), blinding him. He also got some super-heightened senses out of the deal though, so that's kinda cool. It also makes it easier for him to beat the living hell out of the criminal elements in Hell's Kitchen!

Who's In It?

Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil
As the Man Without Fear, Matt Murdock is a lawyer during the day, and a vigilante at night. Previously seen on the big screen...you know what, forget that because it was awful. The Daredevil costume is a bit of a departure from tradition, but rumor has it by the end of the series he'll have his horned mask.

Vincent D'onofrio as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin
Don't let the weight fool you, Wilson Fisk is a goddamned walking tank. He is a force of nature that just happens to enjoy running the New York underworld a lot, and messing with him isn't a good idea. However, in that this series is more the rise of Daredevil, it's also the rise of Fisk. He's not the Kingpin yet, but we'll see how he gets there.

AKA Jessica Jones, Premieres TBA 2015

Jessica Jones also has it a bit rough. She tried the whole superhero thing and ended up with a good case of PTSD for her trouble. Now she's a PI for both normal and gifted individuals in New York.

Who's In It?

Krystan Ritter as Jessica Jones
Jessica fell victim to that good old fashioned Marvel go-to source of powers in the comics, radioactive waste, granting her super strength, limited invulnerability, and flight (which she apparently never really mastered). No word on if that's going to be the case for the series, but my guess is it'll have something to do with the Battle of New York during The Avengers.

David Tennant as Zebediah Kilgrave/The Purple Man
Dosed with an experimental nerve gas that dyed his skin and hair purple, Zebediah Kilgrave also found that he could release pheromones that can control people's behavior. The official synopsis for the show indicates that he simply is from Jessica's past, but also that he's the primary villain for the series. Also, he started as a member of Daredevil's rogues gallery originally.

Marvel's Iron Fist, Premieres TBA

Danny Rand is a martial artist who has mastered the technique of the Iron Fist, allowing him to focus his chi, which allows him to punch and kick really really hard. Did you know we almost had a movie starring Ray Park back in the early 2000's? Anyway, no casting yet.

Marvel's Luke Cage, Premieres TBA

Sweet Christmas! Subjected to a failed attempt to duplicate the Super Soldier Serum, Luke Cage gained super-strength and bullet-proof skin. In the comics he once called Dr. Doom "Honey". I am dead serious. Luke will first appear in AKA Jessica Jones before his own series premieres.

Who's In It?

Mike Colter as Luke Cage
Aside from him first appearing on Jessica's series, little is known about the direction Luke Cage will take. It's assumed we'll get his backstory there, partially because in current continuity, Jessica's full name is Jessica Jones Cage. Oh yeah, he taps that.

Marvel's The Defenders
Premiering after Luke Cage, this miniseries will see all four of our primary heroes team up in some fashion yet to be determined.

So there we have it, a basic rundown, which will be updated as more information becomes available. Personally, I can't wait.

And Luke Cage better goddamn say Sweet Christmas at some point.

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode four. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Daredevil Discussion: Spoiler tagged discussion starts here. Discussion with no spoiler tags starts here.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Deadpool posted:

OP's choice. For now.

If someone can come up with a better title, I'm open to suggestions.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

Netflix Marvel: Alias Immortal (Wo)Men Without Fear For Hire.

So far this gets my thumbs up.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hate the thread title as well,

Jeez, I didn't think it was that bad. :ohdear:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

The opening shot is right out of a Joe Quesada drawing. Chasing the bad guy onto the train tracks is right out of Man Without Fear.

Did you catch the name of that bad guy?

Quesada

Also, I will go to the wall and defend Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. Were he still alive, I'd demand that he get a second chance.

And I can't hate too much on Colin Farrel as Bullseye. He was having too much fun in the role to hate.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you care enough about it, the director's cut of Daredevil is a HUGE improvement. Practically a different movie, with the focus shifted away the half-baked Elektra romance. In its place is actual scenes of the courtroom, with a pretty great subplot that at least gives the film a coherent reason for Daredevil and Kingpin to fight.

Plus, Coolio!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So the "Purple" in "Purple Man" seems to refer mostly to his fashion sense.

But I liiiike it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I think we're all forgetting a basic fact:

Ninjas aren't people.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rarity posted:

We know Thunderbolt Ross is definitely in Civil War

And they've made reference to Blonsky on Agents of SHIELD.

And I like the Ed Norton Hulk.

It has the virtue of not being the Bana Hulk.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jedit posted:

Nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

...You son of a bitch.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So apparently Iron Fist is now in limbo because they're not sure just how much supernatural stuff to involve in the Netflix series. All the other series are staying relatively grounded (relatively speaking), and Danny Rand's chi-focusing kind of knocks that into a cocked hat.

It probably doesn't help that they still haven't cast him yet, either.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aphrodite posted:

It's not the powers. It's the magic.

Exactly. Marvel's been very careful about the mystical stuff so far. Thor kind of went out of its way to repeatedly reinforce the idea that what the Asgardians have is science so advanced that it might as well be magic, and it seems like they're being cautious about how they're handling Doctor Strange. Pretty much all the powered MCU characters have at least a basic explanation for how they can do what they do. Iron Fist and Doctor Strange are game changers because they start implementing "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

edit:

STAC Goat posted:

And Luke Cage has super strength and Jessica Jones flys.

Except we don't have official confirmation of their MCU powersets yet. I mean, I really don't see them taking that away from Cage, but the flight ability might just be outside the budget.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Boogaleeboo posted:

She's really poo poo at flight, so that might be inside their budget.

Well, I'm not to familiar with her character. Part of the reason I'm looking forward to the series.

That and David Tennant.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Electra is going to be so annoyingly cliche isn't she. Are they going to flirt while they fight?

No, that was the Affleck movie.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Soonmot posted:

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Oh can it, Dude.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Jesus gently caress is David Tennant creepy in this. Also, sounds like he's doing his British accent....sometimes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Not enough love going on for "Obi-Wan Kenobi?" "But cooler."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Also, the absolute worst part of the show so far was Jessica using her dumb rear end crackhead neighbor as a patsy to steal some drugs. There's a moment where it slows down and she looks at him and he looks away like he's SO BETRAYED and I laughed my rear end off. Okay, sure, I'm going to feel bad because Jessica used this junkie who lets himself into other people's apartments to do some sneaky hero poo poo. Wow, yeah, this beloved friend of yours is just so hurt. He's had three scenes and every one of them has him being a gently caress up, but yeah man, Jessica betrayed his trust or something.

That moment is meant to show that in her desperation to stop Kilgrave, Jessica has become just as low as he has: using someone just because he was convenient.

Also, to whoever said they want a Mortal Kombat TV show for Iron Fist...well, be very careful what you wish for.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

yaffle posted:

The editors were fine with Cage doing her up the butt however...

(to be honest I skipped the sex scenes in the TV show, did that make it in?)

Well, there was doggy style, but no explicit anal.

Wait, what?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

HIJK posted:

Daredevil Season 2 to Debut March 25th Against Batman V Superman

yo dog we heard you liked comic books so we're giving you a comic book to watch after you watch your comic book

1. Late March is a really weird release date for a major superhero film release.

2. No contest for me, staying home for Daredevil because gently caress Zack Snyder.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

odiv posted:

I could have sworn he pointed at least once, but maybe not.

He did, when he told Simpson to jump off the roof.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In cell 23 The D is the only thing you can count on.

Giggity.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Best thing about the season?

At no point does anyone demand to be put in Supermax. That loving episode...if it wasn't for the amazing Kilgrave scene in the police station, that ep would be completely unwatchable.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mike N Eich posted:

Daredevil the show has this nasty habit of introducing side characters and then immediately killing them or making them double cross the main characters. They go through so many it becomes a cliche and then totally boring, worst example being : Clancy Brown's character, who could have been just a nice scene showing the depth of Frank Castle's character but instead I guess is the Blacksmith drug lord who may or may not have intentionally murdered Castle's family. Well, wait, why did he testify in the first place to help Castle if he actually wanted him dead? Why does any of this make sense?

Any time a tertiary character pops up its just a race against time before the show brutally murders them. Get just a teensy bit more creative please.

You know what? As much of a waste it would've been to only use Clancy Brown for just that one scene, I'd grant that. I'm a guy who the second I hear that distinctive voice, I'm all loving in for whatever role he has, so to only have him in that one five minute scene would not nearly be enough...but I get what you're saying there. In a way, it would have been good to show him just as Frank's former CO and friend, and had the Blacksmith be more of a Punisher Season One villain.

Also, then we could have Clancy Brown as a recurring character.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

tsob posted:

Marci is hotter than Karen - though I think it's more down to Marci's confidence and attitude than looks.

So in the Ladies of Netflix Marvel scale that seems to be being formed here, where do Elektra, Jessica, Claire, and Trish factor in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aphrodite posted:

Batman knows he's completely hosed up, and doesn't kill people because if he starts he's going to get to a point where he just kills everyone.

Of course, then there's the stupid as gently caress Elseworlds Batman books where he becomes a vampire to fight Dracula, but he's like a good one until the Joker kills Catwoman (who's a werecat), so Batman snaps and kills Joker in revenge but oh noes now he has to keep killing because he killed Joker and

gently caress I hated that story.