Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stunt Rock posted:

It's just astounding how loving stupid Danny is and how he doesn't seem to learn a single goddamn thing throughout the entire series.
Maybe this is all meta commentary on cultural appropriation and the white savior story :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Well, don't they need a rich boy to pay for all their expenses? I can see the other heroes putting up with this annoying brat since he can afford all the nice toys, wouldn't be the first time.
Honestly I hope the showrunners for the Defenders can salvage Danny. Can't really do any worse than Buck did.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, I hate when TV shows try to do this shareholder corporate bullshit because it's always the most poorly thought out unrealistic poo poo. I knew it was gonna be bad as soon as they brought it up in like the second episode, but it ended up being one of the worst I've ever seen.
I just don't know why especially in the wake of 2016, that people think that the masses care about the plight of a rich white man getting his wealth ba

Ohhh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

A convenient real-world parallel somehow excuses bad writing?
No that is Ike Perlmutter who owns Marvel and is a total shithead of a human being who had to be shunted off from Marvel Studios in a coup because of his influence on the movies and the fact he is a notorious cheapskate.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lycus posted:

I don't know poo poo about business law, but as a layman, I'd be fine with "We filed an injunction against you firing the board due to your well-established mental incompetence."

Coming back from the dead to owning 51% of the company is still a mystery to me, though.
All I'm reminded of is the first episode of the last season of Venture Bros where Rusty's first act as owner of the company was to fire the board of directors.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

Everything Marvel outside the movies is run by this rear end in a top hat

He famously wouldn't make Black Widow action figures because he didn't believe anyone buys girl toys. Despite a public campaign to get said toys. He is the worst.
Keep in mind this was the last professional photo of him that was made in the 1980s; guy was in disguise for the screening of the first Iron Man movie. Also remember how people like Chris Evans were ready to leave once their contracts with Marvel were up, suddenly they became more receptive to doing more film roles once Ike was gone from Marvel Studios.

Toast Museum posted:

What's with these shows being so reluctant to name-drop Avengers? The average person in the MCU wouldn't know Hulk or Thor by name, but Iron Man and Captain America are public figures. Is there a licensing issue or something that leaves us with the Defenders talking about "iron suits" and "flag-wavers"? Are they worried people will expect cameos? Whatever it is, it's super awkward.
I'm glad in Luke Cage they at least let him get called "Harlem's Captain America" I think its just a misguided attempt to make it look like the people on the streets don't really know who the Avengers are despite this not being set in the 90s but in the era of cell phones and easy access to the internet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

mllaneza posted:

They should be embarrassed to have aired those fight scenes in 2017.
The end fight at the of the Wu Tang music video of Gravel Pit had better kung fu fighting action than Iron Fist

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Also whose favorite flavor is Vanilla?
I prefer cookie dough, but I do like Vanilla bean ice cream.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

lol, like Legally-Distinct-From-Mutants: The Movie TV Show was ever going to be good.
Actually this is about the Royal Family who are different than the Nu-Inhumans; though both types of Inhumans are better and more interesting than the Mutants/X-men

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Blackbolt will probably just be known as Brad and he will probably talk.Medusa will be a hair stylist.

It's going to be total poo poo.
Nah if they are willing to make a CGI accurate version of Lockjaw then they are probably not going the grounded realistic route, if anything its going to be more like AOS which does more fantastical stuff.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Javid posted:

I feel like he was SUPPOSED to be an unlikable, self-centered douche we love to hate, and they just missed "love to". 15 years of semi-abusive life under a bunch of monks left him an emotionally stunted manbaby totally unprepared to return to the real world, because they probably didn't want him to, even before he wound up their indentured gate-guardian.
I feel like he was supposed to be the anti-white savior trope

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Samizdata posted:

I basically dropped out of AoS after the second mid-season hiatus. Not sure how much my opinion matters, but, if you want me to drop your show, start taking pseudorandom breaks. I will find something to watch, and, most likely, never come back.
Yeah its unfortunate that AoS debuted during a election year

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble picturing the Netflix versions of Luke Cage and Danny Rand being best friends
I don't know maybe Danny will just be an entirely different character in the Defenders, or maybe he will have development that will lead to him and Luke becoming best friends.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

This is the same stupid show that retconned Hydra into being an ancient organization founded to return an ancient Inhuman named Hive to Earth from its exile on an alien planet. There's an age of exploration flashback to Hydra and everything. Red Skull didn't found poo poo and both Gemma and Daisy should know this.
I mean there was a branch of actual Nazi's that was dedicated to finding Atlantis and other mystical poo poo to prove the existence of the superior Aryan race. So its not without precedent that Hydra has the same batshit insane branches.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

wiegieman posted:

We should just have a Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu series that's about a superspy who happens to also know kung-fu.
And is the son of Fu-Manchu

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...solo/509425001/
Yikes this early review is pretty brutal :stonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

On another note, I've literally no idea why anyone thought an Inhumans TV show was a good idea. They're a tremendously hard group to portray well in any format, let alone television.
Because the creepy owner of Marvel comics who has not been professionally photographed since the 80s and came to the Iron Man screening in disguise is an enormous stubborn petty rear end in a top hat

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

Loeb was in charge of Marvel Television long before the Feige/Perlmutter split, actually.
Yeah but I imagine Loeb doesn't have the leverage to refuse what Ike wants that Feige does

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The Netflix series needed a Kevin Feige producer figure to micromanage and unfortunately they have the guy behind literally the worst comic book series/event in that role.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know why Marvel just doesn't give a truck load of money to this guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1160495/?ref_=tt_ov_dr) to direct more episodes. Some of the best fights in AOS has him as a director, and the one good fight in Iron Fist with Lewis Tan's character was directed by him as well. It doesn't look like he had any involvement in Defenders but he is set to direct one episode of Inhumans.
Because Marvel is cheap and when you make all that money regardless why bother?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SwissCM posted:

They hosed it up in 2 movies. Punisher: War Zone was awesome.
The Thomas Jane Punisher is fine

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I just wish they'd leaned a bit more into social commentary. There were some pretty blatant moments, but the show seemed afraid to just come out and say words like "institutionalized racism".
Or that dumb scene where they try to get a townhall meeting to turn people's opinion on Cage and to arm the cops with super bullets

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah I've had friends just wish that Marvel would just kill and erase the character of Frank Castle, but then again those friends are usually tankies who get way to upset over the littlest things. There are some troublesome/problematic details about Frank, especially in runs that involve him dealing with criminal gangs, but in the end its just a comic book and assholes will look for anything for validation.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lid posted:

Scott Buck is the same person as Jeph Loeb.
At least Loeb has tragedy to explain his problems

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Sure. And the proliferation of the Punisher logo definitely has to do with how marketable it is and how long its been around.

But also the reality is that a ton of cops put it on their cars and uniforms because they love the idea of killing criminals. Or other gun loving Americans who love the idea of picking who should live and die at the end of a gun. And that's touchy territory for Marvel and Netflix that they'd be somewhat irresponsible to stick their heads in the sand about.

And again, to their credit, they seem to be handling it responsibly.
Yeah it reminds me how people took the wrong message from movies like Death Wish or Dirty Harry

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

They should cast Donny Yen as Iron Fist.

(He's too old I guess, but a man can dream, right?)
Recast with actors from The Raid movies and have Garth be the show runner would have been my first decision if I was Jeff Loeb

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Seems to be aiming for a kind of Western feel. I like it.
Bought to watch it, but I'm pretty pumped if it keeps that feeling since I'm one of the 10 people that liked the Thomas Jane Punisher (including Thomas Jane) and that also went for a neo-Western feeling

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

I really don't get the bad ratings for Punisher. This is probably my favorite of the whole bunch. There's good drama, solid performances from pretty much everyone and some pretty brutal action. Also no tie-ins, mutants or super heroes.
There's a lot of push back and people have axes to grind with Punisher as a character because of his popularity with cops and soldiers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I usually only notice a slow burn if I'm bored (so some parts of Jessica Jones and all of Iron Fist), and I was never bored watching Punisher. The pacing was fine to me. It's definitely not what I was expecting/dreading it to be (a nonstop murder express heading to the bullet farm), and honestly I'm glad that Frank only goes all murdery once every couple episodes, and when he does, he's so savage it's hard to feel like his behavior is glorified.
Bernthal's war cry is loving terrifying in how primal it is

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Punisher season two will probably be Jigsaw, I think. The one time Frank doesn't kill a guy...

I think my top picks for a season two villain who isn't Jigsaw would be The Rev (I could see a Charles Manson take being really creepy and effective, and fit right into the tone of the Punisher so far) or Johnny Nightmare. Ma Gnucci could also be fun - the mobsters Frank kills at the end of episode one are noted to be Gnuccis, and one says that the Gnuccis have risen to power in the NYC underworld after the Kingpin was thrown in prison. Though I don't think the Gnuccis could carry an entire season on their own.
They could always bring in Barracuda

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I eats my spinach posted:

I haven't seen first blood since like 95 but uhhh isn't it basically about a dude just like animal mother returning to society and being a broken man with untreaded PTSD and no family who ends up a drifter who can't hold the simplest of jobs as a result? like, wasn't his brief return to violence caused by finding out his only friend died from side effects of the war years after he came home, then getting his rear end thoroughly and embarrassingly and kicked by some bumkin cops, followed by him running from a consistent escalation of force by the police until the climax where he realizes everything he just did was a futile mistake and the movie ends with him surrendering and breaking down crying before being carted off to jail? It was an action movie for sure but I also don't remember it really being anything like "avengers with guns" :(
He was probably thinking of Rambo 2 and 3

Also Season 2 speculation I wonder if Billy awakes from his coma mostly forgetting who he was except that he really loving hates Frank Castle and ends up being the mob hitman he is in the comics

Though in my opinion Punisher as a series should just end like any good Western with the anti-hero dying from his wounds after destroying his enemies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

This is insanity.
I feel like critics were walking in on the show to hate it because they wanted to write some big piece on how making a show about the Punisher is awful because of all the mass shootings.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, by far the biggest disappointment of DD2 for me. It was such a letdown.

At some point the showrunners need to embrace the comics-nerd nature of these shows, and stop trying to make everything so real-lifey.
I don't know why people want to make superhero shows into prestige TV

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The only one I know of is that Daredevil used the same orphanage Daisy was in for Matt.
That and Creel shows up in AOS, while he is mentioned in DD

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man I forgot how great the intro for this show was

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

A show about a kung fu master should have good fights.
Good fights cost money and I bet pretty good money that the problem with these Netflix shows in general is that they cut corners on a lot of things because they have the numbers that people will watch it regardless.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I do agree what does hold down the Netflix series is that they do try act like prestige TV for some reason, I mean just act like AOS where you can have drama, but also you know fun comic book poo poo (I guess the outliers I wouldn't really change would be Punisher and Jessica Jones)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Here's one that is less nice
https://twitter.com/kylepinion/status/1050749420634087424

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arist posted:

Most of the reviews I've seen have been really positive so that seems to be an outlier at the very least
To be fair it was retweeted from a friend of mine who has set out to hate the Netflix shows because he hates "Prestige" TV and how serious these shows are.

Also hates AOS because it isn't a MOTW type show

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Got to love the thing that sets the wheels in motion for Fisk's release is the failure of the American Healthcare system which bankrupts Ray and prevents him from progressing at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Being from a small town, I don't find it very realistic that the drug that everyone is doing is coke. Ain't nobody got that kind of money to blow.
It's mostly ophiods and heroin that affect rust belt small towns