Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

12am PST is what time everyone else said. That's why I added it to the thread title. If it's not let me know.

One of the few times in my life where working 2nd shift is a benefit. I'll get to watch TV before all of you.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it needs to be spoilered, i'm 5 mins in and i'm 500% onboard. This is what arrow wishes it was.

And that's just the intro...

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

cams posted:

1x01
holy gently caress that ending montage was some fuckin brutal poo poo... i am in love.

though it seems like the japanese just wants to open a resturaunt or something so i think he's on the up and up.

1x01
Does anyone know what these ideograms say?

http://imgur.com/5bnzYkP

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

T3hRen3gade posted:

Holy poo poo yes! I absolutely love how the camera just casually strolls through the middle of the hallway two or three times in one solid shot to catch the action from both sides, loving beautiful. It reminded me of the prison bathroom fight from The Raid 2 a little bit.

This show loving owns.

1x02
The Raid is exactly what I was thinking of. This show is loving brutal and its only the end of the second episode.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

This is so much better than I had hoped. I am ridiculously hyped for the other shows.

I also want a Punisher show. And a Moon Knight show. And a Blade show. And a Ghost Rider show.

1x05
The Kingpin is a socially awkward goon. I love it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Oasx posted:

Question about 1x03 Does anyone know how the guy Matt and Foggy were representing got released? Foggy mentioned that the jury would have to go back since they couldn't decide, while Matt was sure that they wouldn't, but what was the process like?
Also, that fight with the bowling ball was brutal.

1x03

The guy knew Wesley had blackmailed a juror into purposely voting against the others guaranteeing a hung jury. If an unanimous decision can't be reached the result is a mistrial. The judge issued an Allen Charge which is legal speak for Are You loving Kidding Me? Meaning the time, effort and costs of the mistrial would make the prosecutors unlikely to attempt a retrial.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Every time a cab pulls up in a Marvel property, I hope the driver ID says Lockley.

There was an easter egg in one of the earlier episodes with the Veles Taxi Cab service. Veles is the Slavic Devil that is in a constant fight with Perun, the Slavic Odin.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh god I didn't think of this. :( But I'd say there's a chance. I mean we're talking literal years, Defenders is a miniseries, and AFAIK TV shows are easier to put together a little more rapidly because they typically involve less post than a big budget blockbuster, but I might be talking out of my rear end here. Of course Netflix releasing full seasons complicates things a little but with a typical TV season it's actually pretty common for them to work on episodes while a season is ongoing. It's partly why mid-season hiatuses exist.

From what I understand it'll be 2½ years with Daredevil and Jessica Jones being this year, Luke Cage and Iron Fist next year and Defenders after that. Also I think it's unlikely the four shows would be unrelated. In the comics Matt and Jessica worked together, Jessica and Luke date, Luke and Danny work together. While its entirely possible none of that make it to their television shows I have to think they choose these four for a reason.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

This is really confusing and I still don't understand the order of events in the episode, and none of the reviews and recaps out there so far seem to really do so either because they just gloss over it. I've been reading recaps and legal articles to try and grasp what happened for longer than the episode itself was now, it's pretty frustrating and souring my enjoyment of the show. You shouldn't need a law degree to be able to follow a plotline on a comic book show.

1x03

If the prosecutors tried their best with what they had available to them and the result was not an unanimous decision, why would you try it all again, with the same evidence? If you weren't capable of getting all the jurors to agree the first time around what makes you think you can get all new jurors to agree a second time?

less laughter posted:

But was the jury hung because she voted guilty or not guilty? Not guilty would imply all the other jurors voted guilty which wouldn't make sense after the evidence presented in the case and Matt's closing speech, and if she voted guilty that wouldn't make sense either since the master plan was to get Healy acquitted and if all the others already voted not guilty then why would they still need a hung jury for that?

1x03

It doesn't matter how she voted. It was only important that she voted against everyone else. There was no guarantee all the other jurors were going to vote Not Guilty. If the Kingpin tells you to vote against everyone else are you going to go do otherwise?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Yeah there are like 3 pretty obvious ones.

etalian posted:

They also built a special set just for the fight scene so they could do a single take shoot.

1x02

I think that was all one shot, they just had more than one guy for the Masked Man parts. They swapped places when he went into the siderooms.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Bunnita posted:

Costume talk, whole series omg that costume was amazing, and the fact that they laid it out over the whole series, it made sense, it didn't come out of nowhere. Was the guy who made it from the comics too?

1x13
The costume maker was Melvin Potter aka Gladiator in the comics. He was an old Daredevil villain turned ally.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Tom Gorman posted:

So it was genuinely one shot? No cuts?

No cuts. We did do a few Texas Switches between our actor and our stunt double, but it was purely a one shot fight. There were no cuts in that fight. Every performer, the actors and the stunt doubles, were in there performing that fight full on. I’d say there was a minimum of 105 beats, and they killed it.

Heathen posted:

1x02

I think that was all one shot, they just had more than one guy for the Masked Man parts. They swapped places when he went into the siderooms.

:smug:

Charlie Cox is the one who walks down the hallway, into the first room and the camera sweeps down the hallway the first time. When the camera sweeps back to its original position its the stunt double who swapped out of the nearby second room. He gets dragged into the second room once and fights his way back out. It's when he punches the bad guy and just falls through the doorway that it goes back to Charlie Cox. You can tell its two different people by the way they move.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/marvels-netflix-bound-tv-shows-cost-whopping-200-million/

It's pretty hilarious just how amateur Daredevil makes the WB shows look, and I enjoy the Flash.

I figured with Daredevil being Red Batman it would be more Arrow than Flash, but I was hoping for something inbetween the two. Turns out Daredevil made everything look bad by comparison. For reference, Game of Thrones costs $6 million per episode. Arrow is $1.2M. At $3.3M Daredevil costs as much as an episode of Glee.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Who's that familiar looking fellow on the plaque?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Luke Cage Spoiler: Claire Temple is a Luke Cage nod.

I admit I'm reaching on this, but also Luke Cage: He was wrongly arrested for being a heroin dealer. Should they choose to pick up on this they could use Gao's heroin.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

Colleen Wing could show up if they keep doing Netflix shows, she's tied to the Heroes for Hire crew. Nico Minoru if Runaways ever happens (hahaha). Amadeus Cho if they ever do another Hulk movie (hahahahahahahahaha).

Runaways: The priest Matt keeps talking to is Father Lathom. Father Lathom was first mentioned in the Runaways comic.

quote:

Of course, Quake is half-Chinese in the MCU, if that does anything for you. (hey did you happen to notice anything about almost all the Asian superheroes being ladies, what a strange coincidence)

Quake: Daisy Skye Mary Sue Poots THAT'S NOT HER NAME Quake Johnson was sent to the St. Agnes Orphanage. This is the same orphanage Matt was sent to.

Only slightly more represented than Black Women are Asian Men That Aren't Ninjas.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think TV or movies or books are for you.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Since there are no more spoiler tags, I apologize to anyone who has the misfortune of reading this post without seeing so.

I hate that they killed Urich. Not so much that it didn't fit, or how it was done, or any of that, but because I was really hoping to see him eventually pop back up, not only in the inevitable season 2 of this, but maybe even in a second season of Jessica Jones, doing the whole Pulse thing, which they seemed to be setting up with his decision to turn to the internet. Not to mention the possibility of him appearing in Spider-Man. Seems like a waste of story potential in service of making Fisk more threatening when we already know by this point in the series that he's not to be hosed with. It's the one thing that seemed like it was done more for shock value than anything else.

I'm not sure I agree with killing Urich either. But then again I only wanted him around as a legacy character to tie the other shows together. But you can't really argue that it was done for shock value since there was a constant "I'm too old for this poo poo" / "three days from retirement" vibe to his character through out. There was more than one occasion where it felt like they were going to kill him off. I'm just surprised they actually did it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't necessarily think Gao was grooming him for anything. Kingpin was using Gao for her heroin. As Leland put it without her heroin the amount of disposable income will drop considerably.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Soonmot posted:

But if it was only the heroin, why did Fisk constantly go out of his way to treat her with respect and consult her? Leland was the only other crime head Fisk interacted with to the same degree amd he was constantly treated as an underling. Fisk meant something to Gau (Gau or Gao), otherwise why would she waste her time on Earth running drugs instead of awesome inscruitable evil kung-fu things?

Why would you not respect an old lady who brought you tons of money? Furthermore if Kingpin meant anything to her why would she, Nobu and Leland talk about him behind his back? They were all using each other for their connections.

The last conversation Gao had with Leland he asked her to ship in more heroin. She declined as she only dealt with heroin because it was convenient for her. Since it was no longer convenient she was going home.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rachael Taylor as Hellcat? That's new. Will she be replacing Spider-Woman?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Is this thread going to turn into a bunch of words about cultural appropriation when Iron Fist airs? Is that how it's gonna be?

No one's going to wait that long to threadshit. It's already begun.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

Far be it from me to correct you Oh Wise Sifu, but the Chinese invented gunpowder. Shooting guns is an inherently Asian quality just like magic Kung fu and punching dragons. Please reverse racism away something truly White like juvenile diabetes instead.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Incorrect. One ninja is the best. Many ninjas suck.

It's a financial issue. Some people have a problem and they're willing to pay top dollar for a ninja to come in and take care of it. Other people don't want to spend a whole lot so they'll hire a bunch of cheap henchmen. Except no one is scared of a bunch of henchmen. That's why you dress them as ninjas.

One Ninja -> a real ninja -> badass.

Many Ninjas -> scrubs -> cannon fodder.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So apparently Iron Fist is now in limbo because they're not sure just how much supernatural stuff to involve in the Netflix series. All the other series are staying relatively grounded (relatively speaking), and Danny Rand's chi-focusing kind of knocks that into a cocked hat.

It probably doesn't help that they still haven't cast him yet, either.

For one, I doubt Marvel just scraped together five properties and pitched them to Netflix en masse only to go "poo poo, we didn't think this through."

Secondly, the only "Iron Fist in limbo" rumor I could find starts on CinemaBlend who links back to a birthmoviesdeath.com article written by Devin Faraci. For those who don't remember Devin Faraci is the is the guy who tweeted that the then upcoming Daredevil show was very bad. Then when the show came out and everyone loved it he briefly went with "oh I haven't seen it I'm just passing along what I'd heard" defense, before he eventually started outright insulting people.

Daredevil had an entire episode dedicated to Stick, The Hand and the Beast so I doubt they're changing their minds now. This all sounds like standard internet clickbait bullshit.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I've already seen the whole show. I'm just watching it again ironically.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

1x01

Well that was an ending. A dark, yet great way to start this show.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Sweet Christmas.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

1x04
I think Kilgrave is influencing Trish. He keeps trying to suppress her accent, but she is drat determined to let it occasionally slip through.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

1x09
Red, white and blue pills? Hello Nuke.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished and I found it a little uneven in places, but that might just be me watching it all at once. This isn't a show to marathon. I don't think they went too far with anything, but there was definitely some dark poo poo in it and I think getting hit with one after the other might've soured me a little. With Daredevil I watched it all and couldn't wait to watch it again. I'm gonna wait on this one for a bit. Definitely not for kids or those who can't handle heavy depressing poo poo.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Crow_Robot posted:

In the finale The soundproof room is proof that as long as you don't hear what he's saying you're fine.

Except that's not true. Finale:
His mind control isn't mind control, it's a virus. He has to be near you and then give you a command for it to work. It wasn't only intentional commands either, go screw, Hi Hank, etc...

Also, It wasn't just a soundproof room it was specifically a hermetically sealed room meaning neither his voice nor his purple cooties could get out.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Crow_Robot posted:

Finale spoilers:
Then why does she wear the headphones? It doesn't need to be a hermetically sealed room. Who cares if you get infected with his virus if you can't hear him.

More overall stuff.
Its a two part problem. You have to be near him and also hear him. With the headphones on she was near him, but couldn't hear him. That's why she was safe.

Remember how they kept mentioning the 10 to 12 hour window? That's how long it took the virus to wear off. Remember the Sufentanil? It not only knocked him out it suppressed his purple cooties. That's why it had to be hermetically sealed room at the CDC instead of some studio built for voice over work. If it wasn't sealed he could infect whomever sat at the desk while they talked to him.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

flosofl posted:

He wasn't slow. He was her exact opposite personality-wise. She even says so when she tells Malcolm they were Gemini, two fish swimming in a circle. Yin and Yang, but flipped from the traditional associations.

They complimented each other. She kept his pure nature from being taken advantage of, and he kept her from being a monster.

PIsces, because they were a water sign.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's so weird how a thirteen episode series felt like it was so padded, but then rushed to include Trish Mom, Nuke and IGH as hooks for a second season.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Explain to me how the idea "you are stupid if you don't shoot a person who is a threat" is not related to cops shooting people?

I like shooting people in video games. When do I go crazy and shoot up a mall? Is it before or after I start worshipping Satan because rock music tells me to?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

2x02
Half the police force love him, half of them are scared of him. Except wait what? They guy opened up on a hospital for one guy. Even if bloody vigilantes are your cup of tea how are you going to support a guy who shoots up a hospital full of innocents?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

2x03
Hallway Two: The Stairwell

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The pace has slowed down a lot from the first four episodes, but then

2x09
Hey there Kingpin

Oh, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU