Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There was another run from Anna Nacoti that was pretty good as well. I'd love to see Typhoid Mary in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Smith's major contribution to Daredevil is that he finally killed off Karen Page. Otherwise it is a fairly average story for its time and really is bogged down with a lot of other garbage that was happening in Daredevil at the time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy kind of neutered the Nova Corps. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the Nova Corps are just basically beat cops without any super powers and maybe some extra tech.

They were already introducing so many cosmic elements that introducing Nova too might be a bit too much.

Also, traditionally, Nova is someone from Earth but we have that role already in Quill.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Fist is probably most well known for being buddies with Luke Cage and their duo book of "Heroes for Hire". Even when that team doesn't have a book, they're frequently working together. There's a lot of, at best, hokey and at worst, really bad stories surrounding both characters. But the roots of both characters are strong and I'm sure they can carry their own series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

11 we get it. Women should stay in their place, amirite? How dare they "defend" themselves

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Drifter posted:

Jessica Jones' show comes next, and then Luke Cage? or will Luke's show come first?

Cage and Iron Fist are in 2016, and then (I think) Defends in 2017.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gyges posted:

Also Matt was kind of lying to him about being blind for years. Yeah, Matt really can not see via the photo receptive cells in his eyes. He can still recognize the world around him in ways pretty close and in some ways better though.

Also how Matt goes through multi hour, even several days, where he isn't able to be reached or contacted at all.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, near the end of the series the priest basically goes "I'm not an idiot, Matthew."

The priest talks about how people in the area still remembering Jack Murdock and Matt even says they attended this church when he was a kid. I think Matt knew full well what church he was going to and what priest would be there. Hell that priest might've given him Last Rites at the hospital if things were touch and go at one point.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

If they end up using Yakuza in Daredevil, they use guns. A lot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Snak posted:

Oh god. "Sticks and Stones" haha. Subtle. No wonder TMNT is the way it is.

Tmnt origin is the same waste that blinded Murdock also leaked into the sewer.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re-watching the series and I'm enjoying Owsley a lot more. You can also kind of see Madame Ghao put the pieces together that Wesley isn't really needed to interpret anything. Fisk mentions in passing the time he spent in Asia and "the farm" but I wonder where Wesley learned Japanese and Chinese. Maybe Fisk and he met when they were abroad.

I wouldn't mind Wesley appearing in flashbacks. I'd like to learn more about him. I really don't think he is just a business associate.

I also on my first viewing was convinced that the Catholic Priest would be on the take. I don't know why, maybe it is because I think that would really crush Matthew. Even more so than cops and fellow lawyers would be on it, but even his own priest.

I also like how they tied into the larger MCU even if it is mostly throwaway lines. St. Agnes being the same orphanage Skye/Daisy spent time in. Carl Creel before he became the Absorbing Man, which really makes him a more interesting figure and perhaps he could appear in a Netflix property as well if he has ties to organized crime. These are small things, but these are also things that the early episodes of SHIELD seemed to intentionally avoid.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

seniorservice posted:

Agree to disagree. Stuff like "Avocados at law!" is so cringy to me that it's tempting to fast forward through it.

I know its totally unbelievable for two drunk college kids to gently caress up a phrase.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re: Nobu. It isn't like Nobu was doused in gas and then Matt lit a match and threw it at him. Nobu only ran against the wall etc because Matt deflected an attack. That's a homicide but not necessarily a criminal homicide.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Elden Henson did an interview with EJ Scott, the world's worst podcaster. Yes, he's going blind, it's sad (EJ, not Elden), but drat, way to ask a lot of deeply personal, borderline inappropriate questions. On the other hand, Elden's clearly more happy talking about it than Daredevil.

http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-069-with-elden-henson/

Holy gently caress. Just looking at the typed summary, they go into post partum depression and marital problems. What kind of loving interview does this guy do?

Also, "and uh...ummm...."

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Cage doesn't have much of a solo presence, at least in modern times. He was kind of a pet character for Bendis (who wrote Alias) and so he used him a lot, he became the leader of the New Avengers as you know, which was a decent book but since it isn't MAX it's obviously very PG and because it was one of the mainline books it got caught up in a lot of event nonsense, especially Civil War, so you'll have to wade through some business to get the complete story. There are neat moments though, like how Luke insists that the Avengers focus more on actual street crime instead of just cosmic bullshit, so he has them visiting crime-ridden neighbourhoods and such. Jessica Jones is also a side character here. Like most long-running Bendis books it eventually goes off the deep end and they start introducing wacky subplots like hiring Squirrel Girl to be their babysitter.

You'll probably want to at least read The Pulse which is essentially the sequel to Alias, except it's also not MAX and deals more with the rest of the Marvel universe.

There is a Power Man and Iron Fist series launching in the new year. It is probably the first time in a good, long while that a book featuring Luke Cage is actually titled Power Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jedit posted:

The difference being that Jessica Jones's entire development arc is contained in just over forty issues including The Pulse, while Iron Fist has forty years of stories to draw from.

Most of those Iron Fist stories suck.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher works best when there's a universe full of villains with enough masterminds who won't get offed and enough C-listers he can kill, and heroes that he can bounce off of. I don't know if there's enough of that on this level of the MU at this time without heavily tying him to, say, Daredevil, which has enough of a cast and powered/gifted people for Punisher to work with and/or kill.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Daredevil was ok. I get what they were going for with Goonlord Fisk but in the back half the show started to bend around him way too much. It was good overall, but I suspect I'd have enjoyed it way more if I hadn't already read the Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker runs a decade ago and I own that as my perspective.

And yeah the same general sense of "this is really good but something about it isn't quite able to get to that next level 'watch even if you're not a fan' place" is on display with JJ so far, much like the rest of the MCU. Not a bad thing, I still love these shows, just saying.

I've read pretty much every DD comic and I still loved the Netflix series. Besides some general concepts it isn't a direct of any specific story or anyone's general run, so I don't see why reading the comics is a detriment. If anything it adds because you pick up on the comic easter eggs.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

While I liked that the they didn't focus on the superpowers too much, when they did, it was done badly. Outside of subtle cool touches like Jessica tearing off a padlock with her hands, her powers were really inconsistent and horribly executed. All her super jumps were a close up of her feet jumping, then a cheap looking cut away to her scrambling onto a rooftop; all the fights didn't look like a very powerful person dominating normals but rather bad wire work and stuntmen over selling it. I think the actress for Jones just isn't very naturally athletic and it makes it hard to buy.

Jessica isn't a trained fighter. She pretty much gets her rear end handed to her the few times she goes up against powered individuals and I'd be pissed if she did become a unarmed combat master halfway through the season because that isn't who Jessica is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

In this show especially

Poor black cop being shot by the white cop.

In Netflix. Black reporter Ben Urich is killed in Daredevil.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hollismason posted:

They should let Patsy Walker cross over with Doctor Strange in the film, but they're not. I'll be kind of aggravated if they don't put Luke Cage in the Avengers film that's coming up.

I know Matthew Cox said his contract said he is obligated to appear on the feature side if Marvel asks. I would assume Ritter and Coulter's contract say similar things.

But thematically, I think both Jess and Luke are a long way away from even appearing in the Defenders, which is the most non-team team in the Marvel Universe. They started as someone who kept their heads down and weren't heroes, kept getting hosed over every time they tried. They have no reason to stick their necks out on this.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Loving the Jessica Jones Facebook page. With Macho Men complaining about how "PC" the show is and conservative rednecks bitching about the sex and lesbians.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

How do they feel about the interracial coupling of Luke and Jessica?

Blatantly racist is hard to come by. Blatantly sexist is pretty easy to find. Also the two Iron Fist fans being super pissed about the gender switching of the lawyer.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm not comfortable calling Jessica an anti-hero. To me, an anti-hero is someone like Walter White. Or more close to home in comics, Punisher or Scourge of the Underworld. They are doing bad things for good intentions but still ultimately recognize that they are bad things. And they don't even consider the non-bad-thing option unless forced to.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Jessica is a hero at this point either. I think she's selfish, and I don't think the events of the show will cause her to be any less selfish. She's trying to do good with good intentions but often goes about it in a hosed up, go it alone way because of her trust issues and PTSD. To me, an anti-hero would've immedietly jumped to "kill the fucker" but Jessica fights that option for the longest time. Publicly she says it is because of Hope but I don't think that's entirely the reason. I don't think she's a killer at heart and she only gets to that option after every other plan has gone to complete poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gyges posted:

No, it happened later after her and Luke were officially an item. I kind of want them to cover that part of her story later because it's a big part of her "healing" arc where she sort of works through her Killgrave baggage.

To bad we can't watch her beat the poo poo out of [comic spoiler]the Goblin with his glider.

Well the Spider-Man rights are now shared between Sony and Marvel. But I have no desire to see that. That was such a disappointing issue. Now that it was bad but to see the Goblin taken down publicly and Spider-Man wasn't the one to do it but rather Cage and Jones.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

This show would be so much better with actually nudity to go with the vanilla sex scenes.

I know this was probably a joke and I know the cast/producers Marvel said no nudity. But does Netflix allow nudity in their other TV/movie originals?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

I don't mind the show but people have been raving about how adult and edgy it is. Sure, compared to the MSU kids cartoons but not against other shows in its genre. I'm expecting Dexter, True Blood level of edge and they failed.

Dexter's nudity was largely gratuitous. You'd get a shot of Badass Cop loving a woman just so they could show tits and it'd do nothing to advance the plot.

Also I was really concerned that JJs showrunner was involved in Dexter but thank God the Dexter stink didn't follow her to this show.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Mike Colter gets 2nd billing as well.

Also in regards to Nuke, the doctor implies that the adrenaline pills have been used before on Simpson. Saying the protocol has changed since the last time he was in the program.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I hope so, he's due to have a friggin' epic fight with Daredevil in season 3 or thereabouts.

Do we know if Kingpin will even be in season 2?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^Simpson even mentions the gun he gave Trish isn't legal.

Gyges posted:

It seemed like either the incident that caused Simpson to leave or one that happened before he left. The way the doctor said After Fallujah(or was it another place?) seemed like it was a big thing with Simpson. Which is interesting since the whole military drug experiments and Killgrave control make Simpson have parallels with both Luke and Jessica.

Simpson is a really interesting character because there are so many things that can be read into him. He's a veteran with war trauma, a cop taking the law into his own hands, a cop using excessive force, a victim of mind control and all the various traumas that can parallel, a hyper masculine alpha male saved by a little lady, an addict, a black ops super soldier and a bumbling guy in over his head. He's trying so hard to be the hero of the story and loving it up an nearly every turn for a variety of reasons.

I honestly question if he ever was a cop. Detective-Too-Old-For-This-poo poo doesn't seem to recognize him at all, and the only other cop we even see him with was one of "His Boys".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Is this true? Pretty funny if so.

The South Park guys have some pretty good interview clips on YouTube on how bizarre the rating system is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Do we know the villain(s) of The Defenders series yet?

No. I think most of the villains that were set up in DD/JJ are likely to be parts of second seasons rather than be in Defenders. I think the Daredevil producers even went so far as to say they have plans for Madame Gao and The Hand and that they aren't being saved for Defenders.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Frank Miller doesn't give a gently caress what they do with Elektra in Season 2 because he's an old man yelling at a cloud. DD producers don't give a gently caress right back: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/14/daredevil-frank-miller-elektra

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Sarandos clarified that JJ S2's timing depends on Defenders (which is contractually obligated to begin production by a certain date), so it sounds like it's a ways off.

The producers of "Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23" have been toying around with a Christmas/one off special and mentioned that filming it would have to be precise because Ritter is expected to return to film for JJ sometime later this year. I kind of doubt she'd be returning to film Defenders since Iron Fist hasn't been cast yet, but they could also film JJ S2 this year and just have it in the can to air whenever assuming Iron Fist and Defenders are going to be airing in 2017.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

How are the rights for Fu Manchu nowadays? Cause if you bring in Shang Chi, MASTER OF KUNG FU, you gotta bring his father too for an awesome showdown.

Marvel is putting out a Shang Chi omnibus in a few months so they might have gotten some of those rights cleared up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Edit: Never mind.

To get the thread back on track, does Shang-Chi have a lot of crossover with Iron Fist? Is there a classic story that includes both of them?

Not to my knowledge but the shows don't always follow source material for supporting cast. Patsy/Hellcat has almost no real comic book basis to even be associated with Jessica Jones. In ALIAS, that role is filled by Ms. Marvel or Spider-Woman, both of whom have a variety of reasons why they won't be on MCU TV anytime soon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm doing a season 1 rewatch and this question has come to mind: What are Matt and Foggy always drinking at Josie's Bar?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I forgot -- did we ever see Leland's son in Daredevil Season 1, or just hear about him?

Because I imagine he'll be introduced as The Owl eventually, and there's a perfect actor to play him who looks a lot like Alex Maleev's version from the comics: Louis C.K.

Never saw him, but mentioned at least twice.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

S1 still laid ground work for less grounded elements with Nobu, Black Sky and Madame Gao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

I'm still a bit baffled that they cranked out Daredevil Season 2 before finishing up the initial run of series' that were announced from Day 1...but what do I know? I guess DD did SO well that they had to follow it up.

Kind of makes sense since none of the creative teams seem to overlap.