Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy shiiiiit :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

THINGS WILL GET LOUD NOW :black101:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I use Army Painter Regiment and Character brushes for basecoats, most metallics and washes these days since I've been hearing those mediums will kind of screw up kolinksy sables.

Meanwhile I've been sticking with Rosemary & Co series 22 sizes 0, 1, and 2 for most of my regular painting.

Speaking of, I just finished a Primaris Librarian today

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

Just need to make some tracks in the snow where it has gone over.

Speaking of, I'm planning some Deathwatch Outriders and my army are based on a martian-style earth/desert texture so I wanted to create light tire tread tracks behind the back wheel on each of them. Is there a good method of creating tread tracks? Does anyone have any experience in creating impressions like this on something like Citidel Martian Ironcrust before drying? I mean there's not a whole lotta room on the base for much, so it wouldn't need to be anything too crazy.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 25, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

How comfortable are you with Green Stuff?

If you have access to it already or can pick some up relatively quickly, you can make a mold with reusable Oyumaru/"Blue Stuff" mold material. If you've never heard of it or have never used it before: Oyumaru is a thermal plastic that's solid at room temperature (and doesn't stick to anything) but is very soft and pliable when soaked in boiling water for a few minutes.

You can lay down a flat 'plate' of Oyumaru and then 'roll' an assembled marine bike tire on the top to make a track impression and once the Oyumaru has cooled back to room temperature you can fill the track with green stuff to make a reusable 'stamp' that you can use to make impressions on your basing material without messing up one of your tires.

That's a really ingenious idea. It just so happens that I do in fact have a fresh pack of blue stuff handy that I was saving to mold green stuff copies of the Deathwatch icons that come in the upgrade kit for these bikes.

So I'll give this a try and let you know how things go!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

You can also just wrap a tire in saran wrap and use that to make the tire marks. I do this with scale model dios.

My concern would be that I wouldn't be able to wrap the tire well enough on an Outrider to get an imprint on the textured base but that's something to consider trying for sure.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up another two Intercessors for my Fortis Killteam.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Still waiting on the crackle base to dry but holy moly this is the most minis I've ever painted start to finish in one day. My eyes and wrists are killing me, but the production line strategy made these not too painful.

If you can get your hands on a cheap hairdryer they work really well at speeding up the drying process of crackle paint!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh, that hair is really nice by the way. Brown over Black or?

Mephiston Red over Abaddon Black.

I was trying to make it emo because Raven Guard. :v: Is it not red enough? Should I give it a brighter red highlight maybe?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bashed a Primaris Captain and a Watchmaster together thanks to a couple of helpful inspirational guides online. He's got some real Hulk Hogan Pointing energy.

I'm going to try and make the base textures look a little bit like the Necron was dragging himself across the dirt before the Watchmaster came by and stepped on him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Necrons head is one of the two options that you get with the Lokhust Heavy Destroyer. But it's just the face panel so I had to roll up a small ball of greenstuff to make the rest of its head and give the neck something to kind of attach to.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He really, really wants to Necron to delete that holograph they have of him

WELL YOU KNOW SOMETHIN' NEMESOR GENE, I'M GONNA NEED THAT PICT-RECORDER

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

He's definitely on the short list of contenders for "world's best miniature painter" imo. He mainly does large scale stuff these days but his coolminiornot name is Yellow one if you want to check out his older small scale stuff. The style is a bit dated but it's still really impressive.

Looking through his CoolMini pictures and of course, he's the guy who painted the best Crimson Fist ever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I'm having a bastard of a time painting brown leather. Anyone got some recipes they like?

I use the newbie method of Dryad Bark base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Gorthor Brown highlight, Baneblade Brown second highlight.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished painting a fusion Primaris Watch Master from the Howling Griffons using the Primaris Captain and WM models.

quote:

Hundreds of years previous to becoming Watch Master of Watch Fortress Darkwalker and crossing the Rubicon Primaris, Kyros Inviro lost his entire squad in the defense of Hive City Haddas on the planet of Grenzoza to Necrons of the Sautekh stirred from their tomb complex by civilian mining. Wounded by foul flayed ones, Inviro returned with a thirst for vengeance and swearing an oath to curtail and end the xenos dynasty in the name of his fallen brothers. A vow he continues to this day as a master of the watch.

Very original fan fic please do not steal.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 14, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Completed a 10 man Primaris Intercessor Fortis Kill Team today after starting them on January 1st.

I wanted to get better at painting faces, so I decided I'd make as many of my Deathwatch helmetless as possible. Like some kind of hockey team from the 60's.

Marcus Valeo of the Imperial Fists and Numitor Sullo of the Ultramarines

Everac Starkbrow of the Space Wolves and Armaros Astovun of the Dark Angels

Constanatus Morressius of the Doom Eagles and Solaro Torvaec of the Raven Guard

Marellen The Reclaimed of the Stormcast Eternals and Orros Feirros of the Iron Hands

Sol Ko'tan of the Salamanders and Leonael Joro of the Blood Swords

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

These look INCREDIBLE! You nailed Marellen especially

MRLOLAST posted:

I really like the emo raven guard.

Thanks guys. The Stormcast and Emo Marine are my faves too. :hfive:

Related: I just got a message on Twitter from Nick that the Warhammer Community dudes are going to feature my Deathwatch Kill Team boys on their next weekly Hobby Roundup! :dance:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has anyone used Micron pens for lettering on things like scroll work on Bolt Rifles or banners? If so, how well did it work?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I sincerely hope you use that bust AS Leman Russ in your games.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God I love your yellow. Also thanks for the heads up about Conversion World earlier.

Meanwhile my WIP Deathwatch Black Dragon bike mans

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could, I didn't stop to ask myself if I should.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's my first time using Martian Ironcrust and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I probably could have added more interest to the base in hindsight? I should have added skulls but I think I'm done with Brother Baraka On a Bike.
I actually named this dude Atredian of The Black Dragons - He's my first ever Outrider of Combat Squad Naga of my soon to be built Fortis Kill Team Dastros. Thanks for reading my fan fiction.

(Shamelessly stolen radar idea from an Outrider that BrotherSRM did)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Done did a Primaris Apothecary for my budding Deathwatch army mans.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Working on deathwatch force, here's my first, a primaris watch captain:

No prizes for guessing his original chapter, but it was a fun exercise trying out greenstuffing a fur collar for him.

That's baller! I don't think I've seen that fancy sword swinging brother before. What's the model?

I've been planning to make my DW Captain or one of my Lieutenants from the Emperor's Spears and I've also been reading up on ways to make a fur cloak or collar out of greenstuff. So this is great inspiration.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:captainpop: So that's how they did it.

Just un-loving-believably amazing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's amazing NMM and it's amazing faux embroidery too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I know that it's aimed for people starting out and wet palettes aren't for everyone and everything else but every time I watch a warhammer tv painting guide video and they dish some paint out on their dry palette I die a little.

Duncan still uses a dry pallet ceramic tile for things like metallics and washes. Which is kind of ideal imho.

I started to notice that metallics seep through the wet palette paper and stain the sponge underneath which stains any new paper I put on it later.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been using metallics on a wet palette and have never had an issue with it. IDK what paper you guys are using and if it's more porous than the publix brand parchment paper i'm using. poo poo, I accidentally dripped a bit of VMC chrome on the sponge and immediately just went to wash it off, then no issues of shiny glitter in my other paints once I cleaned everything.

I use the paper that comes with the Army Painter wet palette (the same one that Duncan has).

Haven't tried using store bought parchment paper though. The included paper is probably a lot more porous though, like you said.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Any tips for making this shoulder pad read more like a Deathwing pad?

Paint the little crack in the blade? Ya know, that little Deathwing crack their emblem has in the middle of the blade for some reason.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ninjon and Squidmar are the coolest and most helpful of all the channels I've watched recently.

I honestly can't stand Goobertown, Zumikito Miniatures or Marco Frisoni. I'm sure they're all cool lads though.

Miniac is alright, I've learned a handful of things from him.

I give Mid Winter Minis a solid C+ since I haven't learned poo poo from him. Also lol that he tried to coax Henry Cavill into appearing on his channel for something or other.

I still habitually watch GW's painting guides, new and old they're immensely helpful to me. I tend go veer away from the contrast paints but I have enough that videos including them sometimes come in handy.

But nothing beats Duncan. I've been considering joining his website for a while now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

:staredog:

Pretty sure they actually did get Henry Cavill to agree to something (they're coy about exactly what) and are waiting for covid restrictions to ease.

In that case, I take back my lol and give him a tentative bravo if Geralt of Krypton shows up via skype or something in one of his future videos.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I paint so slow I just do them after I finish each model. Adds maybe an extra half hour or so and it's liberating getting to be so messy and creative with them. Even though my bases for my current army aren't exactly unique detailed little works of art at the moment or anything.

Oh and I do my bases seperate from the model, I'm one of those guys.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

^burtle posted:

What desk lamp do you guys use?

Could not get Tertials because I don't live near an IKEA, but I have a couple of Globe Electric 32" multi-joint lamps w/ Sunlite 6500K LED bulbs from Jeff Bezos.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cock wizard :swoon:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I decided to give Goobertown another try after reading a few goons mention him earlier in this thread and because a video of his popped up in my suggested

Serious questions: Is the voice and tonality he's using somekind of schtick? If so, then what the hell? If not, then what the hell??

I couldn't watch the entire video without muting it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guess it's just me who can't stand Goobertown. Some voices really annoy me which is also the thing that prevents me from watching Auspex Tactics.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a squad of Eradicators tonight.

Brazen Claw Sergeant

Minotaur hot ham

Blood Angel burner

Salamanders grill master

Dark Sons blazit

Knights of the Raven pale bro

Spanish Manlove posted:

In case anyone remembers, I entered a painting contest at my LGS last month. Well apparently my little mammoth made it to the finals. Hell yeah. They still haven't announced the rankings but I'm so stoked to even be a finalist.

Hell yeah dude! :hfive:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

That salamander grillmaster is fire 🔥 pun intended. Your army deserves to be showcased in WD.

Haha thanks! I don't know if they're magazine worthy but I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out so far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was trying to think of color variations and decided "why not make a fox?"

:swoon: I love it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holllly shiiiiiit :captainpop:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Completed two additions to my 5 man motley crew Outrider combat squad: a Dark Angels Sargent and a Space Shark.

Making that a total of 3 so far alongside the Black Dragon biker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I like this technique for creating a fine sand texture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_xRxbxnbE

This is cool, I think I'm going to try this next large base I do.