Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How did I get 5000 posts behind on the painting thread, jesus.

Hey miniatures painters: why not exchange gifts involving miniatures and painting them in this year's Trad Games Secret Santa? If you specify that you like and enjoy miniatures, probably some goon would buy you some, and there's at least a chance that your randomly-assigned Santee might like a similar sort of gift! Or possibly not, it's all down to luck. Why not check it out?

{this promotional post posted with Ettin's permission.}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rantmo posted:

During a painting session over the summer, I decided to experiment with thinning my paints using acrylic flow release and nothing else, which basically gave me a tinted soap. Months later, the sections I thinned that way are still not completely dry; they're very glossy and a little tacky to the touch but the models have just been sitting on my shelf in hopes that chemistry would do me a solid and dry them out completely. I want to actually finish the models but I'd rather not strip them down and start fresh. I worry about just painting over the soap for fear of it sloughing off, I've considered putting some Pledge floor sealer or Dullcote on and finishing over that, but I have the same fear of it not taking. Any advice?

Acrylic flow release is meant to be mixed in like a 1:100 ratio with paint/water. The instructions on the back of my Golden Flow Release say one ounce per gallon, which is 1:128. I typically add a tiny drop to a large amount of paint when I want it to get a little slicker and act more like a glaze or ink... I also usually add quite a bit of water at the same time.

You used way way way too much and I don't think it's going to work out. You will probably have to strip that stuff out, or at least wash in water and repaint.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love my Badger Minitaire set. It took some getting used to and there are a handful of useless ones (the matte finish for example is definitely not matte, and the metallics are generally not great) but there are also some fantastic ones (the ghost tints are awesome), the great majority are fine, and it's wonderful not having to thin any of my paint. Given they're 1 ounce bottles, they very nicely compliment my dwindling supply of circa-1990 Citadel paint.

Also, I have chronic recurring vasovagal syncope with several triggers. Haven't been triggered by hobby trauma yet, but any two to three of: stress, lack of sleep, low blood volume, a few sips of an alcoholic drink, pain (especially abdominal pain), high altitude, taking a leak, blood (my own or someone else's), or hyperventilation.... and I may keel over (or not).

My mom grew out of it when she was in her 20s. I'm 40 and it's still here. Sux.

rantmo posted:

Ok, question about fundamentals from watching this. He's got is paints on a wet palette, I can tell that (and I can also tell that when I've used mine the paper was way too wet, which is good information to have) but what he is using to thin his paints that lets them sit in those nice, unmoving blobs that he can just dab at as he does? The few times I've tried to thin paints, it's gone somewhere between poorly to the creation of colored soap that will never dry :sigh: I use P3 paints, which don't seem to be that much thicker than what he ends up with so I'm not just blobbing paint everywhere, but what's the secret to doing it properly? Is it as simple as just a tiny drop of water? I've read through the OP section on thinning and the Reaper article therein, but whatever the Painting Buddha guy is doing seems like it's much simpler. I guess that's what I'm looking for, the super basic version.

Flow improver is not for thinning paint: it's for getting paint to flow better, and as mentioned before, you'd never use more than one tiny drop in your little puddle of paint. Matte medium will let you thin the color of the paint without thinning its consistency (although it's available in a wide range of consistencies from good art supply stores). Water is the way to thin paint normally; it thins both consistency and color simultaneously. There is a point where the water starts to bead due to its higher surface tension, and that's where adding a tiny drop of flow improver helps to get it to act like paint again. But generally thinning the paint that much is too much unless you're trying to create a glaze.

There is a wet-blending technique, but if you're not using that, or an airbrush, the key to a smooth gradient is to use very thin paint (to avoid brushstroke lines or too much thickness of paint) and lots of layers with lots of patience to let layers dry.

So if you take some typical brush paint (citadel/vallejo/P3/etc.) and put two or three drops onto your pallete, you can dip your brush in water and transfer over a small drop or two of water to thin it. Mix it in, without getting paint up into your ferrule, and you'll have a thinned paint. Drag a brush stroke or two out on your pallette or a piece of paper or something, to get a feel for how thin it is. Add paint or water as needed to adjust.

If you use a wet pallete, it may actually thin a little if you have too much water. If you use a dry pallete, it will dry from the edges inward and get a little thicker as it dries. Don't be afraid to adjust every few minutes. A drop of slow-dry helps a lot to keep the paint from drying too fast on a dry pallete... just be aware that as with matte medium, it will thin the pigmentation a little, since you're adding unpigmented stuff to the mix.

Three layers will give you a reasonably good tabletop blend. Five or so will give a very nice smooth blend, with practice. More than that is for crazy high quality amazing paintjobs that I will never achieve.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ilor posted:

Yes, but you have to be careful about thinning with water because at a certain pH point your medium's chemical binder "breaks" and your paint separates into its constituent pigments. At this point it ceases to be useful regardless of its consistency.

I'm... not sure I've ever seen that happen. What does it look like?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is a couple pages late (sorry, I'm just catching up) but there is an actual purpose-made cyanoacrylate remover product.

This is the one I use:

The label at the top bit can have a number of different brands where it says "parts express" but they're all called "Un-Cure". I keep a bottle near at hand whenever I'm using superglue, and it's wonderful for immediately debonding random desk detritus from my fingers, as well as softening the 20-year-old horrible poo poo glue attempts that are part and parcel of out-of-the-package eBay minis purchasing.

It will however also remove paint, but it's safe to use on plastic minis.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

According to the MSDS, the active ingredient is Dimethylformamide. Do not huff it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I have the same stuff. I'm pretty sure its just acetone.

I actually use it for weathering now as it melts plasticard and even the rubber mat that I cut minis on. Be careful with the stuff.

I'm delighted you haven't edited your post after you saw mine, but yeah, no: it's not just acetone. But Wikipedia does say it invades and causes inflation in "most plastics" so do be careful with the stuff. I admit I've only used it for stripping superglue from metal miniatures, and de-bonding my own skin from random items.

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can't tell me what to do you're not my dad *huffs it, dies*
If you're the kind of guy who likes to look at MSDS data for random products (like me), you'd probably find this to be a remarkably benign substance, for a solvent. They're not even sure it's carcinogenic! Practically everything is carcinogenic. This stuff may irritate skin, and when used in industrial quantities (gallons sloshing everywhere) you're supposed to wear appropriate breathing apparatus. That is the sort of warning: danger level you'd find for, say, shampoo or something. Whatever you use to clean your toilets is probably a hundred times worse.

That said, don't huff it anyway, of course.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 7, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi fellow miniatures goons, just a heads-up that TG Secret Santa thread is up.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903744

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a lot to taking good pictures but step 1, always step 1, forever, is: MORE LIGHT

when someone's camera phone is using the flash it's a dead giveaway they're in low light conditions and that is going to result in not great photos 99% of the time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He mini's painting people! Do you want a miniatures painting gang tag? Check out this new stickied thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. You could ask for paint, or basing material, or minis, or brushes, or maybe just dongs or a board game!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Traveling CCircus thread has come to Trad Games! This is a thread for sharing your creative output with other goons from across the wide forums. Do browse it to see some of the cool poo poo people have made and done, and then please also feel free to post a sample of your (TG or non-TG related) creative stuff there!

It would be especially cool if some of you dropped in to post your painted-up minis and terrain and such.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beffer posted:

Thread title?

I tried, but it cut off the last word due to length limitations.

I feel like I should leave it though...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

something something ethical consumption thanks bro

Cat Face Joe posted:

Countdown to "and yet you buy from" multinational corporation. checkmate" poast.

Knock it off please folks. Just say why people shouldn't buy from Michigan Toy Soldier if that's a realpost and not an ironypost (I genuinely can't tell and I read back a page to try and see), and otherwise the whole "and yet you participate in society" "just asking questions" "debate" horror show can please be confined to the horrible politics subforums or the TG as an Industry thread.

Goons are gonna shop at places we don't all approve of and derailing a thread to go after them about it sucks more than the tiny contribution each one possibly makes to our collective helldoom. I get that "where can I source a genuine W&N brush" is a relevant topic for this thread, I'm just asking to avoid the irony-poisoned one-liner sniping stuff.

Thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Knock it off and stop being assholes to each other.

3M is the leading company for PPE, even if they just had a lawsuit against them about earplugs. If you have an alternative recommendation because you believe 3M is bad, please give that recommendation. Otherwise, either answer OP's question directly (is the linked PPE OK or not) or shut the gently caress up thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kingdom: death discussion was a massive blowup trigger in the boardgame thread, to the point where mods had to ban it from discussion entirely. I would caution folks here that it's a major point of contention among goons in TG and probably best not to make a big deal about liking it (or not liking it).

You can link & tag as NSFW progress on your model if you want.

The unspiration thread is more about shaking heads at terrible stuff, so crossposting there is kind of inviting harsh criticism I'd expect.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone! Trad games secret santa is up and running for another year. Come join the fun, if you find sending and receiving nerdy game gifts fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

new painting thread is up (and will have :effort: added shortly)

Thank you for starting a new thread, CtH! Everyone go there.