Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's awesome, but the yellow final highlight on the rust is too much imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

malal posted:

That's why I included each layer in the step-by-step, I like my models comically over-wrought. Combine that with the speed I paint at and its a recipe for great table-top models, but not so good when five feet or closer, haha.

I think it's more that the yellow doesn't really look like rust any more to me, surprised you didn't go with a super -bright orange

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

So I find out today that my GW 'ardcoat from 10 years ago has solidified into gelatinous cubes. They worked fine 6 months ago, oh well. Is there another company that makes similar gloss brush-on varnish but cheaper (lol)? If not, I don't mind buying GW again, assuming they still have the same quality as they did 10 years ago. The stuff lasts for ages - approximately 9.5 years at that.

I know that the OP lists liquitex as selling varnishes as well but I've never tried them nor have I tried any other company. I want something that acts just like 'Ardcoat but cheaper if I can get it. If not, I'll buy GW.

Vallejo do good brush-on varnishes, both gloss and matte.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.'

'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.'

'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture

(sorry about the cellphone pics)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nichol posted:

Where the eff are these great undersea dudes from?

They're from a German company called Lead Adventure.
http://www.lead-adventure.com

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Army Painter range of washes is good too, and cheaper than Citadel. Dark tone (Black), Strong Tone (Dark Brown) and Soft Tone (Sepia) are the main three.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Speaking of varnish, in the past I've used Vallejo gloss, then a coat of Vallejo matte, but the results have been.. well, they've been okay, but I always get annoyed with how the coatings affect the contrast. Is there any way around this, or should I just suck it up?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Don't use black unless you're doing blacklining or small targeted washes on the eye sockets or mouth to add more depth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've never had any problems just using regular Rattlecan primer on MDF

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship?
No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism."

"Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever."

"The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on."

"How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction."

"It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure"

"On the surface, I once bought a forest. The parasites claimed that the land belonged to God, and demanded that I establish a public park there. Why? So the rabble could stand slack-jawed under the canopy and pretend that it was paradise *earned*. When Congress moved to nationalize my forest, I burnt it to the ground. God did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia - I did."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Are the Bioshock dudes bought from somewhere or did you do some kickass conversion work?

The women are converted from Copplestone Casting's "Gun Molls"
I had limited resources available for conversion, so the masks and hooks are made from scraps of plasticard. The pipe is made from bits of sprues and greenstuff. The weird facial growths are greenstuff. There's a couple of hand swaps sourced from Frostgrave bits.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I got you fam

http://www.victrixlimited.com/collections/greek-ancients

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

JackMann posted:

EDIT: If the minis are mostly white, then you might start with grey for zenithal and then just spray the white at 45 degrees.

I wouldn't bother tbh, the contrast isn't going to be noticeable.

Here is a question; cool white or warm white?

If you're going for a cool or bright white, use a light grey. If you're going for a warm white/very light beige, use a bone color.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm going for a bright white. I'm really looking for a stark and clean look, so the white primer giving vibrant colors sounds appealing. I've read about putting a wash coat directly over the white primer coat to help with the nooks and crannies. Is that an option or just a bad idea?

I used it for the last few guys I painted, and I found it a lot easier than painting over a flat white base. Not only is it more forgiving for bits you can't reach, but it gives the miniature instant definition, picking out smaller details that are easy to miss when everything is a bright white. Just try to get an even coverage and avoid pooling on larger areas.

Edit: I was going for a darker finish so applied the wash quite heavily here, if you're going bright just thin it a bit, or apply it more carefully.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 2, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Heads up though, it only comes in a light gray.

:confused:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Apparently you could get it in pink at one stage too? Everything but the light grey is discontinued on their website at the moment, if you can still buy it places in different colours that's great :)

That can's a few years old (but still good) so it's possible they've discontinued white.

Shame, it's a great primer. If the grey is as good, it'd be well worth it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

melonfish posted:

Last wip before they're done, cleanup required, blacks to finish and then the lamp and armour chipping.

Apologies for the late night photo.
once these are done I can finally start on my Oath heh.

These are SO GOOD.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Star Man posted:

Hello, I'm channeling rejection into finishing tiny plastic things that have been sitting on my craft table for three months.

Well, that's my story.

Thin your paints.

With tears.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Zenithal priming with rattlecans is perfectly ok. You probably won't get quite as smooth a transition though.

(I don't use zenithal priming.)

I've used it before but never got it to work properly, the best I've managed is really start lighting effects.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Can you guys talk to me a little about how you base?

For my Warhams I'm just gonna throw down some PVA glue around their feet and dredge it in some sand.

I just bought my first Malifaux kit though and want those to have a little more effort. What are some fundamentals I should know about basing? Do you guys normally decorate the base before attaching your mini?

I paint with the figure very lightly superglued to a base (often a trash base specifically for this purpose). I'll do the basing separately, then do touch-ups/gap filling after I move the completed figure over.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The only downside is, this single piece cost $30.00 to cast in this material. So production is not quite to the balancing point of material/labor that will Put Miniatures Companies Out Of Business With This One Weird Trick (Games Workshop Hates Him!), but at least making a mini that is definitively your own is doable now, for a not-unreasonable price point. Plus, many big miniature companies are actually using similar forms of CAD-to-master-to-mold processes these days; Hero Forge just brings the process down to the consumer level. (...Wow, I sound like I've been bitten by a were-marketing-wolf.)
That's slightly under double what GW charges for a similar plastic figure, which is pretty good. Obviously still too expensive, but could see prices going down from that, and/or GW using the same tech to print in store.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

That's awesome!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

After pulling some ridiculous janky bullshit with some scum in a friend's narrative X-Wing/TRPG/Rebel Assault game I am totally on board with some Wipeout ships.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

All his custom rules, maps, and details of the campaign so far are here; http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/p/talathen-sector-campaign.html

They've been playing for ages, I just drop in when I'm free.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's a few larger monsters in the Reaper Bones range

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Try using hazard stripes as trim and decoration, keep the areas small until you get the hang of the technique. You can always go back later and add more once you're comfortable with painting them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Coherent colors can go a long way. Definitely add extra undead bits to the shields and stuff, but if your minis have a consistent color scheme they'll naturally look good together.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gale Force 9 Snow is okay, it's basically white coloured grit. You'd want to mix it with some PVA and white paint, apply it to the base, then sprinkle some more over the top.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Here's a zombie dog I based with the Gale Force 9 stuff, IMO snow basing looks best when applied in clumps rather than one smooth surface.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Seconding Montana Gold, it's really good and comes in a huge range of colors.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If I'm doing a complicated base, or using a pre-made one, I trim the slot down to tabs under the figure's feet. Then I'll greenstuff the base, leaving holes in the slot for the foot tabs (or drill holes if needed). I cover the holes with sticky tack before painting the base separately, so I'm gluing metal to plastic, not to paint.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

What's a good way to mask the join join spots on a plastic mini I want to paint in separate pieces? I've seen watered down Elmer's glue but I'm skeptical of how well that would work. I guess poster tack would probably be ok but something that brushes on would be preferable.

I always use poster tack, all you need is a tiny spot

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

working mom posted:

One of these things it not like the others

Pretty sure that's Alpharius

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

D-d-d-double post

In The Know Theatre posted:

"Are you in the know? The Big Daddy may look imposing, but he's a gentle giant. Do you know all he does for Rapture? These metal gents are the hands that maintain Rapture, digging the foundation out of the sea bed and guiding structural supports into place. Where do these metal mysteries come from? Sorry, chum, that's a Ryan Industries trade secret. Now you know."

Gilbert Alexander posted:

"We put our eldest Sister through a new regimen of physical and mental conditioning, and suited her up with modified Protector equipment of my design. The younger ones have dubbed her a "Big Sister." Sadly, this is a stopgap. Between rogue Splicers and the aging of the girls, we'll run out of viable Little Sisters soon. After that... the surface may be our only source..."

Gilbert Alexander posted:

"Final assessment: the Alpha Series has gone completely off the rails, I'm sorry to say. Ryan insists we cut costs by taking clinical subjects, physically and mentally broken by Plasmid overtesting, and turn them into a line of Protectors. Then he wonders why they stall out on behavioral issues? Ryan can write off the financials, but now WE have got to deal with a gaggle of half-mad, metal-suited inmates running around, attacking anything that comes in from outside the labs. Well... at least they're loyal."

They're messy and need a shitload of touching up, but they're done. Sorry for the lovely pictures, I only have a cellphone.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Wazzu posted:

I know it works for the theme, but could you post a colour group picture? Preferably larger file size?

Sure, sorry it's slightly out of focus.

I deliberately worked with a very limited palette to tie the disparate miniatures together. Clothes are green or blue if they're not a shade of grey. Red is a spot color, mostly blood splatters, but also the boss's jacket lining and the piping on the Bouncer and Big Sister (to echo the missing valve-wheels). Metallics on the splicers are all brass, the Protectors have a mix of brass and dulled down silver. Tried to keep the overall scheme dark while still having a decent amount of contrast. The Big Daddies didn't quite work in that way, the values are too close together (especially the green and brass on the Bouncer), but the bright spots of yellow, and the fire on the Alpha Series,. at least draw the eye. Technically they are super messy and there's a lot I could have done better. Also my converting and greenstuff skills are.. not great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Vallejo stuff is good, both matte and gloss.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You could try prime black -> zenith spray with white from direction of light -> wash/ green (or whatever color you want the flashlight to be).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Nah I'm a tryhard. I'll do it by hand.

I'd still do a zenithal-style base coat, it's how I started this guy;

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Been playing with OSL. My brushwork is messy as hell, but it turned out okay.

The lovely phone photos actually make it look better than it does in person, though it has fully desaturated the dark blue I used to highlight the shadowed areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

I painted a man on a horse.

That's the face of a man who doesn't know how he got here but it's too late to get off now

Also it owns.