Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I got my hands on Underworlds Shadespire and Nightvault with every warband expansion (unpainted). I thought painting them could be a fun project so I bought a box of paints and some Chaos Cultists (cheapest minis at my LGS) for practice, and painted my first mini.

It was fun! Looking forward to painting the rest and hope I feel confident enough by then to start painting the Underworlds models.

also how do you do lenses that small, that white dot took all of my precision and patience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

This is pretty dang good for a first model!

Thanks! I finished all five of them now, but I think I need go out and buy some new light skin colors. The Army Painter Elf Flesh is disconcertingly jaundice-y

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Werix posted:

Yeah, I'll jump on the band wagon, that's really good for a first model. Your paint scheme on the gun is the right combo of metal and grime wash.

PinheadSlim posted:

Wayyy better than my first, and my 2nd, 3rd, and possibly my first couple dozen now that I think about it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how long it took me to stop suck at painting. Really good job on the mask, and very impressive highlighting for a first mini.

Thank you! Reading this thread and watching an embarrassing amount of the WHTV vids over and over again helped a ton.

The full crew:

Getting slight anxiety over where to go from here. Might have to get some more practice models

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up my first warband (bar a few highlights when i get some more paint), the Beastie Boys. Not the most vibrant color scheme but I got a lot of practice painting browns. Don't think the guy on the far right was meant to look like a mischievous gopher but that's how he ended up.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 2, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So i was working on my first ever figure paint job over the weekend, well, ship, not figure, and my x-wing miniature paint turned out pretty good for a newbie. I used citadel airbrush paints with my hand brushes, this per the local store's recommendation as the paint was pre-thinned. The paint actually felt REALLY thin to me though, so much so that I wonder if using the standard "dry" or "base" paints would be better. Can anyone give advice on this? The paint is so drat watery that it takes a lot of coats to try and cover something. Maybe that's just how it needs to be though?

I've only just started painting myself but I've been following WHTV's advice on thinning paints and its been working pretty well so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I made some deer elves (delves?)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Color scheme test for my Stormcast warband.

I've never liked Stormcast, but replacing their dopey helmets and not painting them in a madly gaudy color scheme like GW likes doing goes a long way.

I just did my first Stormcast and I'm also not too fond of the default scheme so I tried doing a warmer bronze one. I've come around on their helmets though, they're sorta endearing :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

Airbrushed on three purples and pink over Vallejo lava. Was too bright so I wound it back with black wash. It's only half done but I'm second guessing it.

it rules, don't change a thing

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

Calling it a day on this. I have a second one to do so I'll return to some weathering around the endrin supports and think about the base more later but I'm really pleased with my first KO model

Big Sunless Sea/Skies vibes, which is great. How'd you do the oxidized metal?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

All the corrosion is some leadbelcher then typhus corrosion and then nuln oil or agrax earthshade and fire dragon bright. It's surprisingly easy to do and really forgiving because you can just add more schmutz.

Neat, gotta pick up some typhus corrosion to play around with at some point. I presume the verdigris is Nihilakh Oxide?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

If you mean the white looking parts that's where I knocked the model over into a blob of paint then ran it under water to get it off while in tears.

Hah, nah. I mean't the teal-ish parts, like these:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

Lol the second one is some of the white paint that needs fixing. The effect comes from the pre-shade though. I airbrushed in black shading over a grey primer then I airbrushed over the whole model with coelia greenshade. Worked it out by experimenting on an old tank for an hour just trying different paints and found that the shade have everything the exact kind of tone I wanted.

It's a really natural looking verdigris effect, nicely done

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Retributor is bright yellow gold, Balthazar gold is a bronze. Balthazar gold is my favourite colour ever and if they made it in a spray I'd do everything in it. It's a warm bronze colour that walks easily into any of the Citadel copper/bronze/brass paints and has great coverage and control (Sycorax bronze is my favourite Balthazar Gold highlight/layer).

Currently doing some Stormcasts in bronze and can confirm that Balthazar Gold (and Sycorax Bronze) owns.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 23, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up Steelheart's Champions, featuring my first attempt at freehanding some simple lines on his cloak. Think it turned out alright.

Moving on to Sepulchral Guard. The first model was a joy to paint.

Underworlds warbands are perfect for me, just when I'm sick of painting metal/skin/fur/bone it's time to move on to something entirely different.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

These are really cool!

Werix posted:

That man's face is really loving impressive.

TotalHell posted:

That dude looks like he wants to kill me and it's rad.

Thanks, I think it took me like 4 tries until I got a nice looking dot entirely by accident

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 7, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Fourth warband done, the Skellingtons.

Real fun models to paint!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished my first tiny angry man.

Not sure how keen I am on the base rim color. I wanted to differentiate the different warbands but I'm not sure if the red distracts too much from the rest.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 24, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Aniodia posted:

I mean, that looks like a very delicious strawberry-rhubarb pie that man is stepping on...

Welp, now I can't see it as anything else. I blame the fact that fruit pies are not really a thing here :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished my fifth warband, Magore & Friends.

Learned that I hate painting armor trim.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

Bastiladon done!

Crystal could have turned out better but it is okay.

The tortoise shell effect on the scales is fantastic, how'd you do it?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Tried my first bit of OSL on Stormsire's Cursebreakers. Really should have followed a guide instead of freestyling but it turned out ok in the end. Might do a bit more on a few spots.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Quite pleased with this lab rat

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

rats rats rats

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Can you go over your process on these? I've painted and stripped each one of these models at least twice and I've never been happy with the results.

Sure!

The skin is AP Skeleton Bone base -> AP Light Tone wash -> GW Pallid Wych Flesh layer -> Glaze with AP Matt White. Then I wash the face, hands, feet and tail with 1:1 mix of AP Red Tone and AP Quickshade Wash Mixing Medium until i like how it looks, usually about 2-3 layers.

Metal, cloth and leather is just AP Gun Metal/GW Mephiston Red/GW Mournfang Brown washed with AP Strong Tone and highlighted with AP Plate Mail Metal/AP Pure Red/GW Skrag Brown. Then the cloth/leather gets a fine highlight of GW Firedragon Bright/GW Deathclaw Brown. The weapons are AP Angel Green with progressively finer highlights of GW Warpstone Glow -> AP Jungle Green -> GW Yriel Yellow.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I only really use two brushes (Windsor & Newton Series 7 1 and 0) aside from a drybrush and I've had good results keeping them in nice condition using The Masters Brush Cleaner soap.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Had a hard time working myself up to painting yet another Stormcast warband (why are there so many) so I went with a statue scheme to save some time. I need some goon opinions though: should I give them glowing eyes or not?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

The answer is always yes. But be diegetic about it: the statue was copper before it got verdigris'd (and then magic'ed or something): what color stones would the sculptor originally choose for the inlaid eyes?

I was thinking blue but that might get lost in the verdigris.

Dienes posted:

I feel like purple would go well both with the verdigris and the original copper.

That could work, yeah. Thanks!

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 30, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

So I tried out purple eyeglow (turned out a bit more magenta than expected but eh). I'm not sure if it works or not, but the more I fiddled with it the worse it got so I stopped. Any thoughts or advice?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vlex posted:

I use Army Painter, and the golds are just too thin on the wet palette and impossible to dry brush with.

I like the AP grey metals but yeah, not a fan of the golds

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Sorry to Kramer in here, but would any of you guys be willing to give me an opinion on this paint Kickstarter: Instant Colors paints? I've got a lot of miniatures and the explanations and cost/time investment for painting the tried-and-true way gives me pause.

I've considered paying someone to paint them for me, but if this works as advertised it might be what a novice like me could go for. This project feels like a "too good to be true" sort of KS, so I'd love some opinions on its broad claims.

Have you looked into the Citadel Contrast paints? Looks like this is a similar deal.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've heard most miniature paint products are dominated by Games Workshop and they hike the price of them to an awful degree. Is that not the case?

GW paints are a bit pricier than most (here in Denmark their pots are a dollar more than their Vallejo/Army Painter equivalents), but are usually pretty solid. The advantage with the GW paints is that they have been out for a while, so they're easy to get (well, maybe not right now due to the pandemic). I haven't used contrast myself but it seems to work fine. It's not magic or anything but it lets you paint some solid models quickly.

source

Here's an overview of the contrast paints:

https://imgur.com/gallery/zgdrJbQ

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GW has a few vids on how to use Contrast, I'm fairly sure the thing about a light undercoat and so on will also be true for the Scale paints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lTbnyhzos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1K2NFrmQK4

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Painted a dire pigeon to go with the living statues

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

That is all very loving cool. Can you touch on how you did the tree trunk on the base?

Sure. The outer bark is GW Dryad Bark and the inner is GW Baneblade Brown. Washed all over with AP Strong Tone and then drybrushed Baneblade Brown on the outer parts. I gave it a very light drybrush of GW Screaming Skull to finish.

If you meant model-wise, it’s part of the molded base for The Farstriders Underworld warband.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Needs bird poo poo all over him

I did actually add a few discrete patches but maybe I should just go full ham with it. No dignity when pigeons are involved

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Trying to be project agnostic, I'd say you are missing at least one brown (so many things are different shades of brown I'd recommend you get at least 2. A darkish wood brown and a leather brown at least), and at least one skin tone base colour. And an ivory or bone colour is always useful too. Seraphim Sepia is a surprisingly versatile wash I'd also consider. More things on models are shades of brown than are purple (unless of course you are painting something thats main colour is purple... This is why its difficult to be project agnostic! If you are planning on painting a bunch of tyranids then the browns are less important than organic shades of purple and pink... But in general a brown that can be a wooden handle or sheild will be used on more minis than a purple will.)

Yeah, something like Dryad Bark or Rhinox Hide as a dark brown base would be good, they're really versatile.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up the Farstriders

8 warbands down, 19 to go

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Working on a super simple Master of Possession. What are people’s opinions on a good contrasting color for the feathers on the cloak?

Maybe something teal or light blue-ish?

Brock Samsonite posted:

Hey I love these, thank you.

Thanks!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

If it doesn't specifically have to be from Vallejo, Army Painter also has some sets.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=16

I bought a Army Painter set and sorta regret it. Their quickshade range is fantastic and I like their grey metals, but their regular paints vary a lot in quality (at least mine did). Many of them are gluey and are difficult to get to flow right, especially their greens and blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Painted my first greenskin and played around with Typhus Corrosion for the first time. Probably went a bit too ham with it, and drybrushing silver afterwards made all the grit stand out, but it was fun :v:

Any ideas on how I could tone down the silver grit? Another drybrush, maybe with a brown color?

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2020