Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok goons I done hosed up and I don't know how I did it or how to fix it. I bought a can of Armory black primer spray and tried to primer a bunch of plastic historical minis. Instead of going on smooth the figs look like they are coated in a black plastic dust that just flakes off at the slightest touch revealing the plastic beneath. The minis feel like they are coated in felt rather than primered. What did I do wrong and how do I get the bad primer job off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Will Super Clean Engine de-greaser mess up the plastic underneath the primer? These models are really nice and detailed and I'd hate to see any of that melt away or get ruined. :(

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think it was a combination of holding too far away and not shaking the can enough. I didn't know I needed to shake the can that much before using. I'll give it another go and report back. Thanks all!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I went to Ace hardware to find Super Clean and they didn't have it, so I tried "Gunk" de-greaser and it worked perfectly. Stuff seriously stinks but it did the job. It's rainy as hell today so I'm going to hold off on re-primer, but when I do I'll take the thread's advice. Thanks everyone.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Wow. That is all kinds of bad rear end.

What exact static grass did you use? I've been looking to replicate that really vivid green color but can't seem to find it at my local hobby store.

E: Also, I'm creating small units of historicals at the 1/72 scale, based on balsa wood sheets that measure about 4x5. I'd like to add something to the sheets that can hold a "flag pole" with banners on each one for easy identification. Any ideas on how I might do this in a way that doesn't look too artificial?

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Can someone recommend a way to seal a small group of minis based with static grass? Something in a spray bottle would be really nice - these pieces won't get super rough treatment but I'd like to make them as durable as I can.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah that Storm trooper looks fine - if anything it just looks like that guy has seen SOME poo poo.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Dat axe. Super sweet.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Any recommendations for a spray matte coating that will protect minis from table use? Preferably something I can get online.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm looking to create some banner poles for 28mm. What should I use? The cheaper the better.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'd like them to be sturdy enough that they don't bend - I was thinking maybe long toothpicks but they're pretty expensive. Brass rod might work - any recommends for the gauge? I'd like it to look like a normal pike would look at 28mm.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks compadre.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
About the skewer sticks for banner poles - I found a bag of 50 at Target for $1, so absolutely can't beat the price. They are a bit big for 28mm but nothing glaring. A great option for cheap-o's like myself.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So after multiple failures attempting to drill out 20mm size holes in various wooden boards to act as unit trays, I dusted off an old cork sheet and just started cutting out penny-sized holes with an exacto knife. Works surprisingly well but I worry about the long term durability of cork as units get placed in and out of the sockets over time. Any suggestions for what I might be able to do to "seal" the cork or reduce the wear on the sockets?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I purchased this model and would like to paint the plain brown plastic kit to look something like this.

Any advice on what primer would work best, or general advice on how to get that nice wood grain look?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I purchased this model and would like to paint the plain brown plastic kit to look something like this.

Any advice on what primer would work best, or general advice on how to get that nice wood grain look?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Drake_263 posted:

First off, do the 'planks' have a wooden texture to them, or are they all smooth? If they're smooth, you might want to consider carving the texture yourself - basically take the tip of a hobby knife or some other pointy implement and draw fine lines along the grain of the wood. After that's done, you prime and paint the model as usual; the idea is that you can just wash the planks with a black or brown wash in order to get the 'grain' to appear.

The wood texture already exist in the mold, so I'm thinking a dark primer (either black or brown) and then drybrush a lighter brown over the surface to get the worn wood look. I just don't want to overdo the gaps in between and make it too dark.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
drat those look amazing.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is there a noticeable difference in terms of quality between armory spray can primer and the vallejo stuff through an airbrush? I have a poo poo ton of historical minis I'm going to primer soon and I've always used armory but if airbrushing on produces a better result I may go that route.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hot drat those tanks are marvelous. The color palette is really great.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Long story short, I'm basing my 28mm historicals on galvanized washers and creating unit trays that use magnet strips to hold them in place. It works great but there's one hitch - I sprayed the trays with brown rustoleum primer to make them look like "ground" (it's a nice effect) and the coat doesn't affect the magnet strength, but if I leave the minis on the magnet strips for a while, the primer sort of sticks to the under side of the washers. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Any recommends for a brush-on varnish? I have some Citadel Ardcoat but not sure if that will work well for this purpose.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Would someone be willing to do a nice varnish/sealant effort post? The amount of information seems a bit overwhelming to someone who doesn't know jack about what works best in what situation.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Does anyone have a product link to this item? It's been shown a lot but I haven't found where to buy one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

No I don't think this blog post links the item either.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ahhh, duh - didn't catch that the cases are from the same site as the trays. Cheers! I went with a couple soft cases - at $15 that's a pretty easy solution.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've had two consecutive cans of Armory gray primer sort of go wonky on me. It gets to where the primer won't spray continually and will just spit out a little primer then just fire off air periodically. What am I doing wrong? I shake the hell out of the can and it still does this.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 11, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
When stripping primer from Bones models using Simple Green concentrate, what ratio of water to concentrate works best?

Thanks!
VVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those pirate orcs are simultaneously adorable and terrifying. Well done sir.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Monster w21 Faces posted:

First time painting robes. 6 stage process. Not entirely happy with it but live and learn.

I think this looks great so far. What mini is that by the way? Pretty awesome model!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
lol even the rocks look like ground up walnuts.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Do you guys recommend army painter strong tone for dipping grungy dudes like Vikings and medieval levy type troops?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What's the consensus on using Army Painter strong tone dip followed by dull coat? Stuff is like $35 a can so I'm wondering if just regular brown wash with dull coat will be as good.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok so I finally finished my first real effort at painting a miniature since I was a kid. Feedback welcome.

I like how it turned out but would really appreciate any suggestions on what to improve for my next fig. Thanks!

(Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic- I'm even worse at taking pictures than I am at painting) :)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Attestant posted:

Out of curiosity, what miniature is that? I kinda like the look of it.

Satheras by Reaper. Googling this guy, I had a wave of pride hit me as I think my paint job is as good as most of the google image results. :unsmith:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I sprayed some dullcoat over a layer of army painter dip and ended up with a spot on the mini's head that might have gotten too much dullcoat and is actually shiny. What can I use to un-gloss dullcoat?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Iron Crowned posted:

Spray it again? :shrug:

I tried that and the bright spot persists.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Mugaaz posted:

I sprayed it at room temperature from about 12 inches away, is that wrong?

Sometimes it's just a bad can. I had a bad can of krylon that coated on like sticky black tar no matter how much I shook it. Using spray cans sucks because sometimes you just can't fix it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
This isn't to do with miniatures per se, but there's a lot of expertise in this thread about varnishes and spray coatings and such, so I thought I'd ask.

I have made some custom dice by buying blank d8s then putting stickers on the blank faces. Works well but the problem is that the stickers are starting to come off through use. What is the strongest sealant I could use on the dice to "seal" the stickers in while maintaining a clear coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I soaked some minis in Simple Green to strip them, and it worked- but now they reek of Simple Green. Is there an easy way to un-funk them?