Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

wondering if anyone had a good tutorial for painting white hot metal? have a couple models I want to get stupid with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

The Sex Cannon posted:

Here's an Eradicator that I finished last week:

I love tanks.

looks solid!

https://youtu.be/qFO1O020uyw?t=46s

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Red Shoe posted:

Cross-posting Constance Blaize and Gallant, I spent most of the month on these two.

Those are stupid good!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Darren MacLennan posted:

So, a while ago, I said that I was trying to improve my painting skills - particularly in the area of blending - and somebody suggested painting a model in black and white.

So, this model is a test case; there's too many hard highligths on the face, I think, but I'm happy with how the blending came out on the helmet, and I'm hoping that I can keep this whole blending practice thing going.

However, comments and criticism are very welcome.

holy gently caress

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Shachi posted:

So I'm really new to this and new to airbrushing. I've been painting some warmachine stuff and wanted to try airbrushing gradients rather than the usual base/wash/highlight.

I used it some on painting a menoth warjack...which is generally one prominate color (white) and not to bad, however, I'm struggling on finding a way to use an AB on the smaller figures that are largely two tone.

For example:

This choir member I painted exclusively by hand then washing and highlighting.

What would be the best way to AB these? Lay down the base whites and do my highlighting on white then hand paint the maroon? I'm not sure it's worth the time to try to mask off the white to spray maroon and highlight.

Suggestions? As I said I'm a complete newbie at this and it's one of my first figs so be kind.

zenithal it, then glaze as appropriate for instant shading. Then do some highlighting where needed, then throw any washes on it where you care about deep shadowy recesses.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Haven't posted anything I've been painting for a bit. so I figured I would show off some of what I've done since I started using an airbrush.

First attempt at weathering powder, zenithal, and a nice scenic base.

Sample of my current batch. I'm super proud of how the 1st wizard turned out. If there's anything small I can do to improve on things I would appreciate the feedback.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

10mm blows my mind. I literally cannot even conceive how someone can paint on such a small level.

looks good

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

!amicable posted:

It's all good. I think I can use some cheap photo frame glass and some etching solution to get myself a sheet.

In other news, Deathjackin':

click for more!

That is loving legit!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Im thinking about doing a conversion for this guy, and going mad max with some of my cavalry. Where could I find an appropriate motorbike/alternate mount? ideally as mad max as possible while still representing the same model.

Maybe also some tire shoulderpads...

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 29, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I picked these up at 90% off. I can send one to you. They are on , I think, 60mm bases in the pictures, so they should be plenty big.

http://www.wildwestexodus.com/outlaw-blackjack-vehicle-set-3-models-light-support/

Definitely interested if you want to sorry something out. Sent you a pm

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I think this would be the place to ask, but what do people here use for model transport etc. I have a little army transport bag, but want to upgrade to hold more without breakign the bank.

One of my problems at the moment is that my bag has pluck-foam which has heavily restricted any future expansion. I'm using it for Warmachine, and would ideally like it to fit enough for a 2 list 50 point tournament (this isn't a must though).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

This is way back from page 5 of this thread but I've been using this method for a few months now and absolutely love it.

Love the setup but its a bit overkill for what Im looking at.

As far as KR goes, are there particular bags that are better than others etc? their site always seems a bit daunting

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

evenworse username posted:

Their site is awful but the product is great and I found their customer service fantastic. I got so confused by their site I ended up just emailing them and saying 'this is what I have, will it fit in X tray and X bag' and they got back to me right away to confirm that it would all work.

I have their Kaiser 1 shoulder bag that holds one of their card case dealios; it has been super durable and holds everything I need to take two 50 point WM/H lists out to the FLGS.

So Kaiser 2 would be pretty reasonable? I wish I could find specs etc on here.

Kaiser 3?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Painting a bunch of skin-tone for a dude but its coming out a bit similar to his copper armor.

Any quick fix to differentiate it and make it a bit less orange? Really like the paint job and don't want to start that part over again...

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

You can get something from Amazon too. A filter is just a really thin paint applied over your entire model. Its basically a wash, but the intent isn’t to shade anything but rather to tint the color to give it some depth. Oils are the best for this, but you can use acrylics too.

Having never done this is there anything weird to it. Don't have any oils to work with at the moment

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Where'd you get the clear risers? I need some of those for my cabinet

Pretty sure that's from Ikea. I have the same one and it's surprisingly inexpensive for the quality

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ive been trying to paint a model that I just primed and its been acting really weirdly. When I paint some areas of it, the paint doesn't seem to want to apply and instead just forms droplets on the surface.

Any idea whats happened and how to fix it?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

primed it with black/grey/white valejo primer with an airbrush.

model is white-metal and plastic (privateer press)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Picked up some legion for warmachine and I'm brainstorming color schemes. Also wondering what I should do for basing as I'd love to do something interesting (and hopefully practical).

E: as per the guy above me

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You can buy a big bag of frosted white sea glass at any craft store and then base snow over it to make cool giant ice pieces covered in snow.

Coming from a very ice/winter themed Khador army in red. Would like to go somewhere different with things thematically. Good idea though, I might have to do that with some current stuff!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a good guide to color theory? Want to do a good job picking a scheme for this new legion army for warmachine. Want to tie the whole thing together basing wise etc

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Hot pink, neon green, and just a touch of safety orange. No blending or shading, just flat colors. That's all the color theory you need.

I like where your heads at, but I'll hold off on that till I paint up some judge dread

e: VVVVV thanks, didnt see it there

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I've been doing my zenithal black to grey to white, but would it work just doing grey to white? I have some flying models and am worried that they're going to look a bit crap from the bottom given how vibrant I want to paint them

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Does anyone have any tips for developing a steadier hand? I've recently started back painting but having a shaky brush is making me do way too many touch ups.

illegal drugs. just dont go stupid

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

tried color blending for the first time the other day and just want to make sure Ive set myself up for success.

Blending using a wet pallette, watering paint down further on it and basically shading darker as I move down the surface. should I be doing anything diferently (paints/mediums/technique?) or am I on the right track.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any of you need have a magic recipe for thinning paint in an airbrush? I've been having pretty big clogging issues and can't quite figure out what the problem is. Lately I've been thinking with airbrush medium but have heard doing retarder might help out as well.

Also been having issues spraying varnish, but I have done a pretty consistent job cleaning it afterwards as spraying water through it afterwards works perfectly.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

krushgroove posted:

I use Les Bursley's thinner recipe (which is water, flow aid and drying retarder I think), water and airbrush thinner/cleaner to thin various brands of paints. What you're using to thin isn't as important as getting the viscosity right for the needle size and air pressure you're using. At higher pressures (35+ psi) and larger needle sizes (0.4 or 0.5mm) you don't need to thin as much but as you lower the air pressure to 20 psi or less or smaller needle sizes you'll need to add whatever type of thinner you're using. When you're spraying at 10psi or even 5psi you may be thinning it down as much so you're spraying 10% paint and 90% thinner. The different brands vary and even colors within the brands will vary in viscosity, I spray straight out of the bottle at most about half the time.

wheat psi should I be doing? Ive been at about 40-45

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

cool. at 25psi'ish should I be aiming for a certain ratio to thin it. Ive always been going for a milk consistency

edit: matte medium, flow aid, and water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJUrISnTo

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 14, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I have liquitex airbrush medium at home so Im going to have a go with that.

Ended up picking up this Golden Airbrush transparent extender which looks like it could be amazing. Its supposed to help flow etc and stop it from drying on the tip. Looks like a good generalist airbrush additive so Ill have to see how it goes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Having some problems with my airbrush and I want to try and set myself up for success.
I'm using Vallejo surface primer in the thing to prime some models but can't seem to get good for out of the thing. Based on searching online, I've switched up a size to my 0.5mm needle, and have tried everything from not diluting it, to a mainly thinned mixture.

I've been thinking with a combination of liquitex airbrush medium and golden airbrush transparent extender. I tried 25psi and worked up to 35 (based on searching the internet). Anyone have experience with surface primer that could put me on the right track. I have a suspicion none of this is going to be a problem once I go to actual paint down the road. Running cleaner through the brush seems to flow perfectly so I don't think it's a clog out anything.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Do you mean 'good force' in the bit I bolded? You probably have a clog somewhere, especially if you have let paint dry in it even for a few minutes. Take the nozzle holder and nozzle off, take the needle out and give it a good clean with airbrush thinner (actual airbrush thinner that dissolves paint a little, not homemade thinner like Les's recipe) and a paper towel. Reassemble and test with water or thinner first. Listen to make sure there's no hesitation to the spraying. If that works OK try it with very thinned down paint, just a couple of drops. Clean it out and repeat with very slightly thicker paint, repeat, repeat.

If you get anything but clean, steady stream of water/thinner in the first test, you still have a dirty nozzle (most likely) or needle, give them a good clean, even let them sit in a small glass jar with cellulose thinners to completely eat away the paint, then scrub it out with a plastic bristle brush and flush with water and test again.

Part of airbrushing is maintaining the cleanliness of your equipment, this first step is one of the things that can kill the enthusiasm of having an airbrush pretty quickly but if you can keep your airbrush clean and maintained you'll be fine and encouraged to keep practicing.

Pretty meticulous about cleaning the thing but I like the idea of starting with thinner and slowly making the paint thicker. Seems like the most fool proof way to go.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

HardCoil posted:

Weird, I'm using it straight in mine without thinning, with a .2 (I think, the SOTAR Fine) needle without issues. What kind of aibrush are you using? I had a LOT of issues with my ultra cheap china airbrush, both in terms of usage and cleaning.

Its some gravity feed master airbrush. Mid-end to my knowledge. I mean, everything I found online was saying no thinning as well. Not really familiar enough with airbrushes to diagnose it...

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Seriously, what are those bases made out of?

Smooth off the rim and paint it black, that will frame the base and make it look less weird. I'd also go for a less saturated brown.

You also need to paint the stones. They'll look less like nuts on chocolate.

yeah I think black rim is the solution. These still look tasty as gently caress. Mottle the color a little bit maybe to make it less consistent?

otherwise I really like it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Moola posted:

I'm probably gonna drybrush a lighter colour to create the effect of the raised mud drying, while the lower mud is still wet from puddles etc

Also some patches of grass etc

that would do it. Im thinking that example works well because its got a bit of variation to it.

flock isnt a static color etc. Might not help that it looks pretty shiny in comparison to the soft/dull flock as well (not really an expert though)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Moola posted:

Defeinitely gonna try this on my next base!

Meanwhile I browned the rocks and now it looks like chocolate cake

Still liking that candy land suggestion a bit back.

Accept your chocolate covered future

e: paint the rocks not brown

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is it a poptart?

actually though my guess is mdf or maybe a heavy stock cardboard.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

its brownie isnt it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I keep mixing you two up, not my fault you both love loud shitposting!

Woah hold on there. Moolah is a national treasure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Moola posted:

How do I stop PVA glue from warping things like cardboard when it dries???

what are you trying to do? maybe theres an alternative?