Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Edit: Tried to post pics but Imgur isn't working. I'll try later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished another wee Ralph Bakshi villain lookin space man. I used the base brown scheme for green from way back and he turned out looking practically radioactive. Still learning about blending and proper highlighting but life's been busy so I'm just trying to enjoy myself.

Funny how he compares to his younger brother.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How much should I water down a citadel shade so that I get the coloration without the glossy pooling? Thanks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nebalebadingdong posted:

don't water it down, use a brush to remove pools. shake it before using to reduce gloss

I see. I'll keep that in mind.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hey I finished another guy!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I finished another model and made some more progress towards getting my scheme just right for my Death Guard army. I'm not in any rush to play, and I have a large pile of shame anyway, so I'm taking my time and learning as much as I can from each model. I haven't painted regularly since ~2014 so I have to relearn old lessons I've forgotten.

This latest marine was an attempt to make a distinct, potentially fungal look for the spiny growths. The progression is dark purple to red, then orange, then yellow. It looks neat enough, and when applied to the skulls it resembles old bones left to rot in the ground without bleaching. It's a neat effect, to me at least, and I think I'm going to carry it forward onto the WHFB skeletons I want to use as poxwalkers/plague bearers.

I played around with the canoptek alloy metallics this time, and while it looks fine, I think I like the older blue gentleman's bronze. I wanted to freehand bright fungal spores onto his cloak but I thought about trying to blend and highlight that properly along the folds and chickened out. I don't know what I'm doing with that blade so I need to go do some research on how to make that look nice.

The tiny marine's green started with rhinox hide brown, and I think it has the most depth compared to the newest marine's black basecoat

So there we are. I think as it stands I want to use Blue's metallics, Tiny's green, and the new guy's bone effects. The oldest on the left is a bit sloppy but I liked how his corrosion effects came out on the vents, so I may carry those forward too. Blue plague marines are still an attractive option to distinguish them from the usual too.

Then basing!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I enjoy those a bunch. Very clean. How did you do the barrel burns?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rad, thanks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know this has had to have come up before, but does anyone have a recommendation for getting started with airbrushes? I got a $75 gift card for Amazon on my birthday, and I figured an airbrush would be a good investment to make by the time I want to get around painting larger models.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

jassi007 posted:

Somewhat "standard" advice.

Airbrush either:
Iwata Eclipse HP CS
Badger Patriot 105

Air compressor, use whatever you want, but if you are buying specific this one gets good recommendations
Master Airbrush TC-40T

I personally bought the badger and that compressor, it is quiet enough to use indoors at night while the kids are sleeping. I 99% use my airbrush for priming, basecoating, and varnishing but the fact that I can do that indoors rain or shine has been worthwhile.

Thanks a bunch!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Electric Hobo posted:

Wyrd has some pretty brutal rules in their painting competitions, but they've finally announced the winners, so I can show what I painted for it without getting disqualified.

I love the weird Lisa Frank faerie gremlin guy. What sort of grass did you use for that base? Did you need a tool to make it stand on end like that?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

They are alien grass tufts and really cool: https://www.gamersgrass.com/52-alien-tufts

Awesome, thanks!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well I got around to it and finished my plague sergeant. I played around with the look some more, tried a new scheme on the sword and so on, but I didn't actually like it when it was finished as much as I hoped. I think the issue is that he doesn't hit the mood I wanted because it's way too bright and colorful- he looks like a weaponized box of Crayola Bold markers. I think I'm going to take a break from mans and work out my basing; maybe then I'll have a clearer mental picture of what I want.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Quick question for people who've used static grass before. Do these puffball blooms look like the sort of thing I could make a reasonable approximation of with an applicator and the appropriately colored grass? Does static grass even take color?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks. I've never used the stuff before so I figured I should ask before I spend any money on the attempt.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I just discovered Spider Serum from Greenstuff World thanks to a Squidmar video. I think that'll easily get me halfway there.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

Finished up Champion for the armored skeleton command

Here’s the rest of the crew so far. Gonna fill this unit out to 10

These are perfect. Exactly what I see in my mind when I think of skellingtons. How did you do the cool mottled metal?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fyrbrand posted:

Hello thread, I dipped my toe back into WMH / Riot Quest with General Brug Thunderstone:

I did the mirrored horizon aka earth/sky NMM thing on his glasses just because I'd never done it and it seemed perfect for such a ridiculous model.

Well it worked pretty drat well. I can just imagine him going on about how much he loves the smell of napalm in the morning.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

i kinda wanna get it just to paint it up

It's actually pretty fun if everyone's down for some effort. The rules are a little dense for a pickup game, but that's Dark Souls.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

This is my first human face since I started painting recently. I just need some decals for the sides of the bikes and the shoulder pads, I apparently threw out my transfers from the indomitus set T_T

Care to explain that base, which has miraculous verisimilitude?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't have pictures to share yet but I'm working on some Sigmar skellingtons to fungus up so I can use them as poxwalkers and I'm actually having a good time modelling again. The past year has sucked, especially in pharmacy, now that I know more co-workers who've caught the virus than not and management is sending me to towns two hours away for 6a-7p solo shifts all the time. It's been hard to have enthusiasm for anything. I'm pretty sure I caught a mild case that wrecked up my cardio under the table because I can't exercise or play my instruments at all anymore.

Today I sculpted up some fungal bulbs and sporangium for their bases, ordered some spider serum to spray across the bases to resemble the rhizoid strands everywhere like the desert scenes in Nausicaa, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm not actually skilled at it yet but it's nice to work on something, you know?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well I tried out my idea for not-bone skeletons. It looks too dark for usual play distance and I can't unsee Mardi Gras with it, so I don't think I'll move forward with this for the other 9. Glad I tried it though. I need to learn how to use more neutral colors while thinking up schemes.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

I think this guy looks awesome!!

Hey, thanks! That means a bunch coming from he of the perfect desert primaris.

Heroic, this still look pretty cool. Suitably ancient and worn for an ancient robit. How did you make the base? I tried for a desert sort of thing myself and the model train ballast stuff I used turned out to be a bit too big. As for the osl, I think all it needs to really pop is for the sources to be brighter. Maybe the little orbies in the barrels could have another dab of green a shade or too lighter to emphasize that they're bright enough to cast light?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So here's the dilemma. Here's the rest of the unit. If I can get the purple skelly scheme to show up well enough at table eye level, then the fungal frond growths will be very hard to pop. I feel like I'm just confusing the eye like that.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Here's what I'm working with so far. It's taking me forever, partially because of work, and partially because I'm afraid to proceed without feeling really confident in the scheme. Right now I feel like I have ideas that work well individually, but when you put them together it's all bright crayola bold colors and my eyes feel confused looking at it. I think the answer is cooler, neutral colors, maybe on the actual armor like grey tinted green in the recesses or something instead. I'm not great with color theory though, which is how I got here in the first place.

Skails, I love those skeletons very much. Just perfect; exactly what I would want my imaginary WHFB Vampire Counts army that'll never happen to look like.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Electric Hobo posted:

The skeleton is looking pretty good, and it's definitely a cool idea. I think your problem is that your highlight orange isn't lighter than your purple in a lot of places. That lack of light-contrast muddies up the overall impression, especially when you're looking at it from arms length.

That's fair. I'm still practicing "reading" light on a model, I guess you'd call it. I do think I need to use more orange and keep the yellow to much smaller amounts to really sell it but it needs to be executed more cleanly as well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

I could see pulling more Orange along the long bones where the light would hit, with brighter spot highlights of yellow, and leaving more purple in recesses and along the shadowed side of bones.

That sounds right. I'm still spinning my wheels on the fronds though. My first skelly doesn't have any coming out of him directly, but the rest have fronds or cones coming out of the damaged sections. Do I keep them light colored and simple so that they're noticeable? I'd hate to have managed to sculpt that out and them not work out because the body is too bright.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys. So it sounds like I'm going to have to sacrifice the current radioactive green armor to something more muted. I may want to make the fleshy bits something other than purple too; more traditional sallow flesh colors or something.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

Thanks, this is sort of my imaginary Vampire Counts army. I’m more inclined to just paint up the unique sculpts at this point instead of building out rule legal units for any edition. Starting with the mid 90’s to early 00’s models that originally got me into this thing.

Outside of my Death Guard with skeletons as proxy poxwalkers that's exactly what I've been doing. Bought up some 3rd edition metal minis and codexes off eBay and enjoyed the nostalgia now that I have some disposable income I didn't have as a 13 year old.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm just looking at your skelly boy thinking his bone colours would make great bruised/diseased/decaying/unsettling flesh on something meatier. I like how bold you went and I hope you can get the rad green armour to work.

That's actually the original idea. I bumped into it accidentally with ol' curly in the group shot there. I had the green worked out and tried the purple to orange scheme on the horns. It looked suitably weird and almost fungal, so I applied it to the bone and the skull in the center of the bolter. On something explicitly bone it reminded me of the bright orange look that decaying flesh sometimes gets at a certain stage. The hope was that if I kept the dark color purple I could recreate that look with just a touch of the unnatural to it.

Thanks Grizzled, that's interesting and good to know. So looking at Gutrot there, in the GW stock photo his left pauldron has a near-black dark green with bright green highlights- I bet that would work. I could even keep the radioactive warpstone glow-->moot green final layers but pare them back to just highlights. Then keep my old brass metallics but try that veridigris look with the green. Expand the orange on the boney bits so it's less dark, then find a middle ground on the flesh so the whole model has contrast somewhere and isn't a wall of eye-searing color. OR I could keep the purple-orange effect for the meaty bits and just have the bone be bone with orange/green worked in somewhere.

Rebel, your lines on the pantaloons are great, as well as the 5 o'clock shadow effect. Great work.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So what paint line do you all like to put through your airbrushes? I have some older vallejos dropper bottles that worked ~ok~, some citadel pots that did NOT take to the brush well and are even harder to get into a dropper, and both took forever to clean out of the brush. I was easily spending 5 minutes attempting to clean the brush per 30 seconds of spraying.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

Just want to make sure, you're thinning them, right?

Yeah, definitely. I bought some flow improver (this is the correct product, yes?) that I've tried to use to mix it into a more agreeable viscosity.

While I'm asking, what's the best way to clean out the brush? Full breakdown and soak would be best but isn't feasable between every color change, but running airbrush cleaner through my badger doesn't exactly work quickly either. Do I need to let it soak in there for a while?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 15, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

I just shoot water through it then load up the next color. It doesn't take long. If I used a varnish then I'll shoot some strong alcohol or mineral spirit through it. If I was shooting oils through it, or something enamel based, I'll shoot some solvent through it. I only do full breakdowns once every few sessions and a partial clean at the start of a session.

Ok. Should I be concerned if, say, I use some thinned Vallejo model color, then after shooting some cleaning solution through the brush I can still see some purple or what have you collected at the bottom of the cup around the needle? Or am I simply not thinning my paints enough?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Assessor of Maat posted:

crossed posting

I enjoy these guys greatly. The color of the base makes it almost look like it's grown a thin layer of mold filament over it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Assessor of Maat posted:

Thanks, that validates the time I spent struggling to get it to look even vaguely like mold. More difficult than it might sound - easy to sidestep into "ashtray someone spit in".

Soooooo my approach, when I feel comfortable enough using my airbrush, is to spray a thin layer of Spider Serum over the base to simulate the mesh of mycelium growing out and over everything. I don't know if it'll take color but that's the idea.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I found some time to work on another guy, but I think I need to step away from it for a minute. I think my eyes get used to the light and I lose where the shadows and highlights are supposed to be. I'll come back to it and figure something out for the weapons.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished painting up this bloodbowl werewolf! Really happy with how these guys are coming out so far.

Another great one; a simple scheme executed cleanly paying back dividends. That verdant green looks fantastic. I must have missed the zombie lineman earlier but that skin tone gradient is also excellent.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chunkystyle posted:

Did couple of more blood ghosts. Kinda happy with photographing this time!

I love the gloopy blood ghosts. Everyone's seen spooky ghosts, spectral ghosts, wispy ghosts, and gossamer ghosts. These guys are all messy, moist and ready to mangle.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished another take. I know I'm going to redo the sword, whenever I figure out what that's going to be, but I do like how some of this turned out.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

Finished up a bunch of grots

The world's angriest tic tacs. I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished another guy at my embarrassing glacial pace! Hopefully I'll get better and quicker at this so I can finish an army for once. I feel like I just managed to recreate Dark Angels as Death Guard, but I think it looks ok, especially if I can get the bright highlights looking right. I started playing with basing, because I'll have to do that eventually. I have no idea how to achieve that Nausicaa forest look I want so I just started playing with it. I tried the Greenstuff World Spider Serum, which worked out ok, but I'm wondering if it needs some kind of treatment or varnishing afterwards, because it's starting to blow off. Does anyone know if it takes color? I also had no idea what to do with the pitted blades so I gave up and just painted them a metallic. I just don't know how to highlight those lines and pits without them coming out looking terrible.

Anyway, here's some comparison shots between the new guys and the old guys, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. I kinda worry that at table-viewing height it won't be a good scheme. Maybe it needs to be paired with a bright base?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 14, 2021